Surviving the Frontier and Wastelands
- Adventuring into the Wastelands is the best way to gain resources, but it can also be dangerous if you're not properly prepared. While you're completely safe in the Town, the wilderness is a regular Minecraft world, complete with creepers, lava, and death.
If you wander off into the Wilderness without any equipment, chances are you'll die. Tools, armor, and food are the three most basic yet important things you should take with you on your way to the Wild. This is especially important in the Nether -- there are hardly any natural materials there to create essential equipment.
If you're deep in the wild, it can be very hard to find the outpost and get back to safety. Empire Minecraft has made it a little easier to find your way back to the spawn by adding some specific features:
- Compass - When you venture out in the Wastelands then your Compass will point to the closest outpost, just follow the needle! Don't have a Compass? Use the Empire Assistant, you can get one using this command: /assist new.
- Live Map - Every world on every server has a Live Map, which can make it very easy to see where you need to go. You can find the URL for your current server by using the command /map. You can also access each server's map from the Servers page.
If you're ever hopelessly lost, head for the coordinates (0,0) -- on pretty much every world, that's near a spawn area. You can use /loc to see your current coordinates. Another way to view your coordinates as you move is to press the F3 button. This displays the debug screen, which also shows your coordinates and the direction you are facing. Sometimes it's best to use the Live Map to find the nearest outpost, however.
Another way to avoid getting lost is by using approved minimap mods, which not only display a map of the environment as part of your HUD, but sometimes allow you to set waypoints. Set these waypoints at your personal locations, such as bases or outposts/spawns.
- Never dig straight down. Anything could be below you, from ravines to lava -- all waiting to kill you.
- Never dig straight up. Creepers love dropping in on unwary adventurers, and so does sand, gravel, and lava.
- Don't stand right up against the block you are mining, especially in the Nether. Lava can easily pour out of a newly-made hole and kill you.
- When you in the nether, always have a stack of materials like cobblestone on you. You can use it to build bridges, and to stack back up to where you were if you're knocked off by a ghast. Unlike netherrack, cobblestone is resistant to fireballs that ghasts shoot toward you.
- If you plan on being near lava, be it deep mining or nether expeditions, bring some fire resistance potions!
- If you are planning on building or exploring underwater, do not attempt to do it without having potions of water breathing, or you will have a high risk of drowning.
- Whenever you are building bridges or walking along thin walkways, hold shift. This prevents you from walking off, and it can really save your life.
- Always have a stack of obsidian and some flint and steel in the nether. Ghasts love blowing up those portals.
There's a lot that makes up the Empire. Learn a bit about us, how it all works and how to thrive in it.
Looking for a more general Minecraft guide? Visit Minecraftopia!