Happy I-Day! Liberty Swords & More!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jul 4, 2016.

1. <3 thank you so much :D
    Jelle68 likes this.
  2. Sounds awesome nice update aikar
  3. Glad to see we don't get given the chest this year, happy to claim just the promos! Nice updates, thanks for the promos, and happy 4th of July to you Americans! :)
    Patr1cV, Hashhog and ShelLuser like this.
  4. Forgive me if there's something I'm missing, but couldn't you just accept slot or choose on the fourth line?

I mean, at some point you have logic that expects to find the word choose. Can't it just be made to accept slot or choose?
  5. This is just my 2 cents here but I think that would be highly confusing. Right now I'm finishing up with an extensive test of all this (working on the wiki at the time of writing) and trust me when I say that both sign methods are completely different.

So if they would accept 'SLOT' only to be converted to 'CHOOSE' then you risk that people assume to be building slot shops, while in fact they get choose shops. And that can become messy if you're using dirt (for example) to limit how much players can buy/sell. Because then you risk that confused players might get in a situation in which they buy over-expensive dirt instead of the promo, because the promo was out of stock and all which was left was dirt.

As said, just my 2 cents here, but I think it's a good thing to keep a clear separation here.

Do note that old slot signs automatically convert to choose signs.
  6. From the way it was explained to me, it wouldn't work properly because the logic for choose overwrites that for slot. This is why slot signs have to be obsolete with the new system in place. They cannot both exist in the code simultaneously.

I know it takes a bit to get used to change and subconsciously you might write slot a few times before remembering, but the warning put in place when you try to make a slot sign should help make this transition smoother.
    Blondekid42 and ShelLuser like this.
  7. Many thanks Old Oprressive Imperialists :)

Also many thanks to the Team for the nice new promos.... and Happy 4th again from your northern neighbors .
    Acemox2k and AnonReturns like this.
  8. In the mean time the wiki page has been updated (just now, lol). Do note that this is still work in progress, I'm sure there could still be some small errors in there (it's bound to happen if you're working on the same page for over an hour) but that's sure to be corrected soonish.

To elaborate a little bit more: us contribs are just regular players, and when new features like these get introduced then we get the news at the same time as everyone else. Now, a golden "contrib rule" we have to work by is: "whatever you do: make sure that the info you add to the wiki is correct". So with bigger updates like these it can take us a while before we have everything sorted out.

Agreed, but keep in mind that only the SLOT signs got changed. And existing SLOT signs were automatically converted to CHOOSE upon usage (Hashog: if you're wondering why all your Inkstain shop signs are suddenly CHOOSE signs then I don't know a thing about that :D).

Anyway, I fully agree with you that this is a massive change and it should be addressed in more detail. The wiki isn't the right place for that (it's more meant to be used as a reference guide) so I suppose I'll have to write a guide of my own ;)

No promises as to when it'll be ready, but I already started some work on "Shell's ultimate shop sign guide". I'll even address the specific changes between SLOT & CHOOSE and also share how you can still get the SLOT sign behavior out of these new CHOOSE signs. No promises, I also want to do some mining this evening, but it's coming soon.
    tuqueque and TomvanWijnen like this.
  9. Promo time! Yay!
  10. I like the updates; however, I've had an issue with the CHOOSE shop sign. I couldn't destroy it -- the only way I could break the sign was by breaking the block it was on... this happened with an out of stock shop. :confused:
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. Did you try holding down "Shift" (or whatever your sneak key is) and then breaking?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. Hold shift while trying to remove it. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. As stated before by these lovely people:
    Any shop sign has this behavior now (added a few updates back). This was put in place due to the system change where you click to assign item that the shop is supposed to sell.
    Ways to break your shop signs now include one of the following:
    -Hold shift and click
    -Break block the sign is on or attached to.

I'll poke the contribs to make sure this gets clarified in wiki as well, if it hasn't already.
    Kytula, UltiPig, SirTah and 2 others like this.
  14. These features sound absolutely amazing and I can't wait to get on and try them out! Happy fourth all!
  15. ultimately its because we want the [slot] to disappear. It's going to be confusing to new players if they go up to a shop and see [slot] and not know what that is.

If we continue supporting it, old school players will continue using it, and it won't go away as a fragment of the past.

Also, the conversion process is non deterministic for sell price based signs, leaving it undesired to ever use [slot] on sell signs where you can end up with non deterministic results.

We want shop owners to create the shop sign in the way they want it to operate going forward and not leave it to "Best guess" as we have to with old signs.

Though, I am plotting ideas on how we can also support sell prices on choose shops, so if we get this working, we can convert all slot to choose shops.
    AyanamiKun and ShelLuser like this.
  16. It's the 5th now =P
    Zion_Moyer, SirTah, UltiPig and 2 others like this.
  17. I'd love to see it showing stats from when you logged off and not since last login.

If I play now and relog, it'll say all stats from when I was just playing.

I'd love if it just showed what was sold during me being offline. :cool:
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  18. I am honestly super excited about the new shop signs. Although I can well understand that some players might not like the change (even though its mostly automated, ask Hashhog ;)) I can assure you that this isn't merely a change to make things easier on the devs (with all due respect of course). No; this is super exciting IMO because we can do stuff which we could never do before!

A tutorial is being written, that will probably be ready by tomorrow (I really also want to do some mining today) but a quick preview as to why I'm so super excited here...

My shop (<spam>3544 on SMP2</spam>) is an Inkstain reseller. For the Inkstain itself please follow that link or visit /v +inkstain on SMP8. Now, Hashhog (owner, publisher, original author) has released these with several prices attached. The first editions went for 150r, later it went down to 125r, then 110r and now we're at 100r.

As said: my shop is a reseller. I started doing this in the good old days, back when I had only 4 vault pages. So I decided that I'd charge 1r extra to cover for those costs. Now, partly because of those price changes (and lack of space) I could only sell 1 copy at a time.

Now... what you're seeing in the chest above is: First 3 cost me 150r, the second group 125r and the last group was 110r (per book). Finally the single book at the bottom is the most recent edition (currently the only copy available because Hashhog is out of stock at the time of writing). And ignore the dirt blocks, I only used those to make it easier on myself.

SO... here's how I expanded my re-sale with all available copies:

New shop signs FTW! :cool:

More information will be shared soon enough :p

Edit:

Btw: us contribs did update the wiki already. For more information on creating these signs see this page, for information on how to use shop signs see this page. But I'm also going to write an in-depth tutorial which will also fully explain how to do tricks like the one I did above.
  19. Thanks everyone for the 192 transactions since yesterday! :) Thanks aikar for the cool shop notification! I hope everyone's fourth of July was great!
    Kytula likes this.
  20. I don't want to downplay all the work that was put into this update, however if, as you said, it doesn't let you sell items, that is, to my mind, a major limitation.

I thought a large reason to update the shop system was because the chest would forget what item was there after the last one was sold, and could never be restocked except by the owner. Well now, if I understand correctly, the shop can never be restocked, period, except by the owner.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if we write slot or choose or pickle or turkey on the sign. If pickle worked yesterday, it should work today, in as similar a manner as possible. If it has to convert it to turkey, because nobody likes pickles, then fine. But if the turkey signs don't do what the pickle signs did, that's a step backwards. It's, at the very least, an important update for anyone who intends to create a pickle sign.

I do see the benefit of multiple items in a single shop, for example to let players buy a variety of horse eggs (thus leaving you with all the low-stat ones). I also appreciate that there were bugs with the old slot signs, and I presume this update was intended to fix them.

However, this is broken if you can't sell, and in my opinion this transition was very poorly executed. I hope in the future, if you plan to change a feature like this, you at least plan ahead and notify players. In this case, I just wanted to make a small change to a slot sign, and ended up not being able to create the shop at all before I had to go.