Happy I-Day! Liberty Swords & More!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jul 4, 2016.

1. But then how do I make sure that my buyers know just how their precious rupees are being used to fund my giant diamond fountains/letters/chandeliers/floors/etc?
    SirTah, Hashhog, ShelLuser and 4 others like this.
  2. Leave in a note saying to check out their now empty and useless mall residence :p
  3. Auction house? No, not at all. Just shops, exactly like now, but stocked into a vault-like interface instead of physical chests on residences, so it's infinitely easier to do your shopping. Actually, it would be a bit like online shopping vs. going to the store, but with instantaneous shipping.

Nothing would be automatically emptied, and anyone could still go to malls. There would just be a preferable alternative, and most, if not all, would make the switch. It's sort of akin to Dominant Strategy. If it would be easier and more efficient for everyone involved, who wouldn't use it instead? Also,

...like skating rinks! Yay! :D
  4. um do the firework for I-day also come with the sword not used for display?
  5. Claiming one of the chests will get you the sword and the firework. :)
  6. ok thanx
  7. I spotted something, though I'm not sure if this is a bug but it can surely make it harder on players: the new shop signs no longer give an error if they don't detect a nearby chest.

This has its advantages of course: place the sign, place the chest and "it just works" (tm) which is a huge pro obviously. But it could be challenging for new players or for players to ensure that a sign uses the chest they expected to use.

I'm not sure how to solve this. I suppose a warning might help ("Warning: didn't detect a chest yet!") or something, if that's doable.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  8. It's designed this way for people that want to place a sign first, then place the chest. I had this convo with Aikar and he explained the logic behind it.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. Now that I know how to use it, it seems quite easy. I hope nobody has trouble reading the orange on the wood sign. :p

I was wondering how a player might set up a shop for a promo they don't have yet. It's not an issue for me, but I know many players who built their malls without stock.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. Building without stock in the past wasn't easy either, but I suppose they could ask for that long ID you mentioned earlier that the server generates.
    The function that the # signs address is the ability to buy without having something in the chest. It saves the meta of what is supposed to be there for when there is nothing in the slot. And if you don't want orange text, you could type #MineralMincer and it will display your custom text instead (colors work).
    607 likes this.
  11. Easy, that's another exciting (IMO) new feature: /createshopmode.

Players can simply create their shop and place all sorts of (fake) shop signs. They can even use the old method if they know an easy item number to use (like 1 for stone). Then after they're done building and are ready to actually place the items they can use the /createshopmode command. This sets a toggle and after this mode is active then players can click on the signs while holding the item they wish to sell (or buy) and it'll automatically update for them.

Note: this only applies to the item itself, it doesn't include things like prices and such.

btw, in the mean time I finished the guide I promised earlier. It explains the whole thing (apart from this command) in more detail and might give some of you new ideas:

https://empireminecraft.com/threads/guide-using-the-new-shop-signs.66222/#post-1201844
  12. You're not the first one to suggest this. You have one try to guess who suggested something like this before you did. Hint: did post to this thread before post #131. :)
    Uber_Corq likes this.
  13. Careful with these words, I was nearly hanged for wanting to do this!
    AyanamiKun, SirTah, 607 and 2 others like this.
  14. It always required having the promo in stock for [slot] signs too.

Ultimately, we can't create an item id system for promos (That's why it took years to finally do this, even though we had the ID idea for years, we finally gave up on the ID idea and did it differently)

The ID for some promos would be like 3k characters long.

Now, you can borrow a promo to set up the sign then return it, which wasn't possible with slots before.

Also you can override the colors and put your own text like #Mineral Mincer
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  15. hanged as in in game or life
  16. Ahaha, I guess it sounds too radical still. Mega malls are like mega trees: heavily rooted.

Well now it sounds like the answer is Aikar! :p
    607 and M4ster_M1ner like this.
  17. IIRC, owners of real shops and malls weren't against it.
    People claimed that it would ruin the "EMC shopping experience."
    But if you just need to buy or sell stuff, then the experience is quite a terrible one - both for customers and for small shops.
    AyanamiKun, Uber_Corq and 607 like this.
  18. ya new promo
  19. but terrible experience can also help ppl. u used /v +shop, land on 4 newbie plots and finally u land on a real shop. so u quickly write it down 2 visit again and the shop has a new regular.

or u ask in e chat and ppl answer. if u got a small shop u can use that 2 get ppl visiting ur shop.

thats impossible with virtual shops. virtual shop = ppl who farm get all customers and ppl who mine get no anymore b/c there sometimes out of stock.

i think virtual shop idea is a really bad one (soz)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  20. i agree i mine and farm but always ends up that my ores are outa stock but i mine daily. Some people might not want to sell something but ends up someone bought it
    AyanamiKun likes this.