Empire Auction Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by Krysyy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Apologies for the risk of dragging something on a bit more, but this is required. Also apologies for the slight offtopicness, I request we don't dig into this on this forum (there's no need anyway: this is more of a statement than anything else).

At the time of writing this was correct. I also still fully stand by my actions which led up to this. But this opinion needs an update right now; today was also a bit of an eye opener for me.

A long time ago I made a request regarding the time capsule not being fully closed. See here.

Aya and me went to smp4 today because I promised Aya we'd also spend more time there (we're often on 2). Long story.. Krysyy was also on 4 (we did spot her, I wasn't aware the event for today was on 2). I'm a man of many words (sometimes) so please picture me surprised when I asked Krysyy about the time capsule event and how it wasn't really locked up. Next thing I knew she told me it should have been, wondered about SS mistakes, ran off to two (I have witnesses (no, not Aya), we only learned when Krysyy talked back to us ;)) and for sure: it was locked up.

Now... Sure, if you're a little suspicious like me (sometimes) you can come up with conspiracy theories: Krysyy TP'd back there, locked it up, we joined, and saw it locked up as well.

Here's the thing: that's not important, even if it did happen, not at all.

The thing is: Krysyy is on 4 (at the time of writing) to prepare for today's Christmas event. So she's very busy. Someone makes a comment which she deems important (even though, on a grand EMC scale, it's not) and goes to check on that RIGHT AWAY.

THAT is important: the fact that she finds time to check, and checks. Despite her other obligations.

So yes: if the building event on SMP4 has a few hiccups today then I wouldn't know anything about that but feel free to balem me :D

But seriously... This was an eye opener for me.

Never underestimate things which might look small & easy enough. How many times I had to deny invite requests because I was really busy because I couldn't risk breaking my concentration....

Apologies for the offtopic post. This has nothing to do with auctions, I didn't know of a better place.

I also request that we don't further discuss this here.
    607, TomvanWijnen and Lomax70 like this.
  2. I would add the dirt destroying ticker toters on here as when they get up to 60k the auction is over.
  3. this isn't we add stuff mate it is what the staff decides on suggestions go in suggestion box and the ddtt is a promo worth more to collectors than it is to go get the ss service so no this will not happen
  4. Actually, this did in fact happen. Krysyy stated so some posts back.
  5. you can buy the item from SS... He is suggesting a make over of the rule for the item in auctions since the current system doesnt work for the item
  6. there is no reason to do it putting a limit is stupid i can do that but it limits th $ I can earn. i can auction a dd. and get up to 70 k but if it is "closed" at 60k i potentially lose 10k also he posted it in the wrong spot it belongs in the suggestion box not here.
    UltiPig likes this.
  7. The current system already stops the auction at 60k. Proof: https://empireminecraft.com/threads/dirt-destroying-ticking-tock.69243/ . He is suggesting something directly to the rules and not a feature, i seem to find that fine since he is suggesting: led all players know that the ticking tocks when auction it stops at 60k, but after all the item cannot be auction at all since is a "special mob drop that is active"
    607 likes this.
  8. I forgot to refresh my page ;-;

i still do not understand why it was posted again when it had already been taken care of and thx for clearing that up
  9. You don't lose 10k, you lose the opportunity to make 10k more than they sell for from SS. If you could auction them for 70k, then the buyer is losing 10k. Whose 10k is more important?

When sellers can't be trusted to correctly inform potential customers, then rules are put in place. The rule here is clearly made to protect the buyer, not harm the seller. If your business is harmed by rules that protect buyers, you should reconsider how ethical your practices are.
    607 and ThaKloned like this.
  10. I would easily buy 1 for 70k because it is cool y not? not very many people know that u can buy them for ss as for my practices i this they are ethical if I inform the people who are potentially buying it.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. You would pay 70k for something you can get for 60k?
    That is the problem. People don't know that they can be bought for cheaper, thus you are profiting off misinformation. If you informed people that they can buy them from staff for 60k, no one would buy one for 70k.
    ThaKloned, 607 and The_Boulder like this.
  12. You can buy the ITEM from SS for 60k. if you sell for higher to another player, you are scamming them, therfore banned. Also this clocks arent allowed to be auctioned
    607 and The_Boulder like this.
  13. i know i said Not very many people know you can buy it from ss and also as i said if i make them aware of it ex disclaimer as i said and i know they an't be auctioned that is what this argument is about now if u want to argue about it further PM me and stay off a public thread this is not the right spot to do it. I think this is a misunderstanding because of my bad grammar and word choice.
  14. I find the rule limiting the Auction price of the Dirt Destroying Ticking Tock acceptable, but I also agree that it seems inconsistent. There is no other item I know of that has a limit like this. Would we need to stop an auction for some other item, like Cobblestone if the bids reach the Shop price? It will probably never happen, but it could.

I think an advantage to buying one through an Auction could be that you know that there is a time you will receive it as long as the seller follows the rules. Buying it from SS means you probably will receive it promptly but there is no guarantee.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more consistent to require that a Dirt Destroying Ticking Tock be auctioned only under the condition that the Seller note in their initial post how it can be purchased and for how much? Then an informed player can make the decision for themselves what the item's value is.
    TomvanWijnen, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  15. man *claps great word choice could not have said it better myself (not being sarcastic)
  16. I've found it kind of curious why all the fuss was being made about it, actually. Since it keeps resurfacing, I thought I'd make the suggestion.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  17. Ineed to do the same to 99% of everything I have posted.
  18. My problem with this whole thing is that there will always be places where you might pick something up cheaper. Some shops provide bulk buy services, so you might also get the DC of items quicker than bidding on an auction. To me that is all part of the game.

This whole "DDTT can't be sold for more than 60k" feels like unneeded micro management to me. I can understand why it's being done. Because people might complain when they buy it for, say, 65 - 70k only to discover that it's a senior staff service for 60k. I'd say let them complain and learn a valuable lesson as well.

Once again: what's the difference between this and coming across a bulk shop only to discover that you could have gotten the 2 DC's of nether rack you bid on much cheaper and quicker too?

I honestly appreciate what staff does here: trying to protect the bidders. But I also think there should be a time when a bidder needs to stop and think before bidding. Protecting them here will only postpone the inevitable: All more seasoned auction veterans overbid at one point. And most of us learned from it.
  19. But as it stands, they aren't able to be auctioned off at all, right? Which makes sense to me, as it's not a promo and not an enchanted item.
  20. Correct. Apparently there was already a rule in place but the rules haven't been updated yet. Seems they're still behind the facts.

It's still a special mob drop which, under regular circumstances, can be auctioned off:

But I think I can come up with a good explanation which can validate this rule a bit better. Notice how it says that you cannot auction off currently running promo items or mob drops from a current event? It is a stretch, but I think it is fair to argue that because the DDTT is constantly available from Senior Staff it's also constantly running. As such it is not allowed to auction it off.

Each to their own, but I think that explanation makes a lot more sense than the vagueness we've seen so far (no offense intended there by the way, but you got to admit that it was a little bit chaotic). Of course a meddling and muttering ShelLuser also didn't really help :D
    607 likes this.