Adults on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mob_Meal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Wow. Didn't know there was that much older players on emc. ;) I like these stories. :)
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  2. Don't mind me, just popping in to say something...

I love your stories, and although I've taken quite a bit of time to read them, I've enjoyed each second. Thanks for your contributions!
    607, Eviltoade and Moonglum_ like this.
  3. As both of you said, I also enjoy reading these, although I am only 15(16 in November) myself. Its cool to hear others experiences as they joined emc :).
    We3_Nub_, HannahEB, 607 and 3 others like this.
  4. Although I am only 13, I have played minecraft since December 2011- one month after release date. #LovingTheStories!
    We3_Nub_, WolfInAction and HannahEB like this.
  5. This is way too accurate. I have been making youtube videos of mostly minecraft gameplay on EMC for about a year now. If you check us out, you will quickly get the idea of why my family plays here and enjoys it so much. See you in game.
  6. I'll be 17 in April, so no I'm not an adult, but I like this thread. I've been a gamer since I was 6 playing RuneScape underaged like the naughty child I am. I've grown up with all the changes Jagex had to offer, I remember when they added the Grand Exchange and the summoning skill. I've alternated between RuneScape and other online games. In 7th grade I had a friend who lent to me his minecraft account (Jackyblack55) , I started in 1.2.5, and joined EMC about six months afterwards. Sadly, my friend changed the password so I was without minecraft for a while, and then another friend gave me her account (skyrimed) and I was back on! I'm a free-loader lololol
    I've grown and evolved with this community and it is honestly the best, most safest communities I have ever been a part of. I'm no adult yet, but I sure do hope this server stays kicking when I have kids of my own. There's almost no better internet environment I'd rather put them in.
    Echelon815, We3_Nub_, Kytula and 2 others like this.
  7. I just want to add that I get comments all the time from friends wondering why I play a "kids game". I never understood why people would consider this game to be a kids game, any more than just about any game that has ever been popular on Facebook. I mean my dad used to play farmville.

This game, as simple as it is at it's base, is actually a very intricate game. Think about redstone, farming mechanics, complex builds, etc etc. You can make a strong case that any first person shooter out there is much simpler than Minecraft really. All you do in those games is run around and shoot people.
  8. The argument my brother uses to classify it as a kids game is that "You build with blocks, what are you a child?". Despite him the one who showed this game to me, everyone thinks its a kids game when you say "you build with blocks" because half of those jockey people immediately think of those wooden blocks they used to play with as kids or even legos.
  9. WOW, I've been at work all day and certainly didn't expect a response like this! Thank you all, and I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you in-game. So many I wanted to quote as I read through all this, but then I'd be on the forum all night instead of playing on EMC ;)!

I will say that I played SP for about 9-10 months before trying servers. I joined a couple the same time as EMC but never played on any of them more than half an hour b4 I hated them. I absolutely love EMC!

One of the biggest challenges for me has been understanding redstone circuitry. For the longest time it fell somewhere between theoretical physics & witchcraft. Now I'm beginning to understand some of the basic mechanics involved in how things work & a lot more is experimentation. I find myself relying a lot less on those 10-12 year old YouTubers or Mumbo Jumbo & Xisumavoid to show me how to do something. I even just this week designed my own timer system for a slime farm in building.... It's a HUGE clock system, but it's my design & it WORKS!
  10. Count me into this dusty crowd too! I'm 46, My son (Now 20 & in College) got me into Minecraft about 4 year ago. At first I didn't understand why he liked this game. When the highest quality graphic games were the rage. As I watched him play, he throws the controller at me. Go build a house Dad, so I did... It was all over for me, I was Hooked! I grow up with, Hot Wheels, Legos, Atari, Commodore 64. So Minecraft fit right in!:D

As far as servers go, Played on a few, didn't like em! Stayed on my single player world for the most part. Then I found EMC! It seem like home.

I'm a Mechanic / Fabricator, In other words, build some badass rides! (sorry had to throw that in):eek:
  11. HI my name is kytula, and I'm a gamer. :p
    I'll be 30 next year.
    My start is very similar to Hxcami's; had every Nintendo console from the first all the way up to the wii (starfox, started the fox obsession). Gameboy, Gamboy color, ds, ps1&2. Played oregon trail on pc, along with the tycoon franchise. So discovery and building games are my thing. Doesn't matter the platform.
    My husband got me into mmo's. I've beta tested stwor & archage. Played, eve online, WOW, guild wars 2, skyrim online (eso) and many others. I prefered the gathering and crafting elements of those games above all else.

I was playing m.c. for a year before I shored up enough courage to try out a mp server. Hearing about all the griefing that a lot of servers deal with and the pvp aspect turned me off to looking at multiplayer that whole time.
    So I searched for a server that had a G or PG rating that was economy based, in my curse client search bar. Empire was right at the top. So I joined it, finished the tutorial and found myself right in the middle of preparations for "Friday Night Minning" that was my first impression of the community, and it was love at first sight.
    I was a complete noob tho >_< (I plunged in head first, before really researching anything) i didn't even know how the chat worked, all I could do was pester 1 person at a time in chat via /whisper lol. This is the first multiplayer game I've ventured into without family playing too. So I've been so grateful of those poor souls :p who've been helping me out since I joined here almost a year ago.
    CARZOMG, Moonglum_, amadai and 11 others like this.
  12. I don't wanna adult! :p
    I'm 45, one son, and a slew of nephews.
    As a kid, my days in the summer were spent boogie boarding, and my nights were at the arcade playing air hockey, pinball, and a slew of old classic arcade games. I had an Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and then I had a long gaming break. I don't think I played much of anything again (Sim City being the only exception I can think of) until I met my husband in my mid 30s. He's a console fiend, and all was well till I started beating him at Soul Caliber and Guitar Hero. Suddenly the games I beat him at started mysteriously vanishing... I decided I should swap to PC gaming at that point ;)
    I was playing casual games, tower defense and the like for years. One of the kids I mentored with programming asked me to try Minecraft when it was in its infancy and I actually didn't care for it. Few years later, my son and nephews were totally into it. Small child got me good when he tried to convince me I could "tame a creeper" by hugging it, ha!
    I played SP or with them for about a year, and then started looking about for a server. One of the guys on the casual gaming site I retired from recommended EMC, and here I am :D

Loved reading everyone's stories; great thread! <3
  13. It's awesome seeing all us "old people" speaking up :)

Games:
    I'll just list the mmos I played more than a year, as I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember.
    EOS (eye of the storm, text based MUDD)
    Asheron's Call (many many years)
    Anarchy Online
    Asheron's Call 2
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Star Wars the Old Republic (guildmaster of top imperial guild for many many years)
    EMC

Minecraft:
    I was introduced to Minecraft by a coworker and played it off an on solo for 3-6 months before searching for a server. I feel in love with the technical depth of the game, being able to geek out on mechanics and create farms. I love automation of any sort. It was amazing being able to have so much control of my environment as well and create things I could interact with.

EMC:
    I was originally looking for an Adult only server, but the whitelist one I applied for took way too long and I decided EMC seemed pretty cool and well put together so I could get over the fact it was only on 1.7.

After a week in town, I couldn't take it anymore, for me the reason to be on a multiplayer server, is to share and help each other in the frontier. So I started building a public farm in the frontier for everyone to use:
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/community-farm-smp4.45990/

I learned a ton from this, basic building, making sturdy structures, tree farming, how to communicate with staff, frontier law, protecting against spawns and that there is a few bad apples and a lot of great apples (even some pineapples!).

The tree farming experience paid off with my first shop, which continues to supply most of smp4's wood:
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/shop-kevmeups-woodshop-and-jungle-retreat.50436/

I then created Outpost Regen, as I knew I wanted to continue building in the frontier and sharing with the great people I've met, but I mentally couldn't handle the constant griefing a public farm next to spawn gets.
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/established-regen-smp4.45932/

My outpost and minecraft in general has inspired me to research the Mayan culture, which is now very close to my heart and is a part of every new design in outpost Regen, from the Aquatic Mayan Underworld themed nether transportation, to the great temples soaring into the clouds. So it has inspired me to learn about a culture as well as design and express my art through building. Recently I've been able to combine my love for technical farms with mayan design, like this gold farm I'm finishing up:
    https://i.imgur.com/fcMLIKV.png

EMC is a great server, I'm very excited about the changes that grief protection will bring and of course, I can't wait for land protection and outpost teleports, which will finally round out this great server and allow us wildlings to feel like full citizens of the Empire, just like the townies :)
    CARZOMG, Zrugite, Echelon815 and 13 others like this.
  14. I'm 17, and I'll turn 18 in December. I guess that's adult-ish.
    We3_Nub_, Roslyn and just_five_fun like this.
  15. I'm sorry I'm bringing this up again, but I'm kind of a fanboy in this department :p
    If you say "you had an Atari", which one did you have? (Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari ST?...)
  16. Same here - almost :)

While most of other kids had Commodore 64, a friend of mine and me had ZX Spectrum 48K. We played "Manic Miner", "Sabre Wolf", "Attic Attack", "Jet Set Willy" and other games for a while and soon we started to code our own games like clones of "Space Invaders", "Asteroid Shooter" and simple one-screen 2 player arcade games - first in BASIC then in Z80 assembler - until we were able to teach our high school teacher how to code. :)

I did play "Pong" a bit back then, but consoles didn't attract me much since then.
    I was never a big gamer, there are only two games I currently like and play - "Age of Empires II" PvP and "Minecraft". :)

Fast forward - a nephew had a Minecraft account and other kids wanted to play as well, so at first they were all sharing that one account. Soon I started to look for a server where they all can play together.

Before joining EMC I've checked the rules (the general ones on the website) and the forum - and I was pleased to find a forum culture that was on quite a higher level than what I've seen on other servers. (But I missed to check the economy aspect :D). Trying out the server I got hooked up 100%. I've never played MC before, never played SP / creative, so all of finding the first diamonds and falling into lava with them happened for me on EMC. :)

What I like about EMC most is the community and how it develops - including its economy aspects.
    I hope for this shift to maturity on EMC to continue.
    I hope EMC staff can see this and support the community even better in the future.

BTW, how about 40+ club? :)
    (You know, kids usually can't really understand the "grown-up" stuff until they see their kids growing up...)
  17. Ah, I love BASIC! My father created so many cool games with that! The one I remember impressing me the most is a Pacman clone with extra features, including a level editor. Super cool, right? :D
    I tried it myself too, but, well... I didn't get much farther than text adventures and walking a circle around :p
    khixan, Greylond and M4ster_M1ner like this.
  18. i've been playing Minecraft since 1.2 and i found this server a few years ago.
    i usually play here because single player got boring. killed the dragon a couple times in survival, then kind of got stuck in creative so i could build big houses and stuff, but i normally just fortify an npc village. i like this server because i have both aspects of play, survival and creative (in a way), where that if i need something, its not a click away, and i either buy it, or go out and mine it.
    i'll be 31 next month, and i've played video games since i was 3 (odyssey, WOOOT!) you kids should google it. i always explain Minecraft as Legos for computer.
    i have left and come back a few times, but i intend to stay this time. i always go back to a MMO and then quit a couple months later cause i'm bored, but i always have played Minecraft at least a couple times a week. its not having to stand in one spot for hours on end looking for a bounty hunter party to get your daily quests done just to end up logging 3 more of your characters and doing it yourself, yay :(
    CARZOMG, Moonglum_, We3_10AC and 3 others like this.
  19. Many of you have divulged your age & I realized I had not mentioned that I my self am 40. I remember when I thought turning 30 was OLD. Now I look forward to 55-60.

And yeah M4ster_M1ner... A 40+ club sounds like a great idea!
  20. Eyyy see we got some fellow Dovahkin up in this bit-ness'. Lets just hope they aren't some dirty Stormcloak.
    But yeah to anyone not aware I am 15, one of the younger people to post onto this thread so I can't say squat diddly about age and maturity and all THAT jazz. However it is nice to see an even amount of people who are both kids, adults, young adults, teens, etc all on a server since it gives so many different view points.

But seriously Krysyy we need to know: Imperial or Stormcloak
    PetuniaFigtree, Echelon815 and amadai like this.