Adults on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mob_Meal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. What a cool thread, I have to comment too.... As you may have guessed, I'm a fan of the original Blues Brothers which dates me a bit. My son initially taught me to play MineCraft on a tablet, hence his original name: MCTabletKid. I enjoy the strange physics and the ease of tunneling (kind of like dig-dog...).
    While I haven't played console games much, I've enjoyed other pc based games. My previous favorite was a Dungeons and Dragons game called Neverwinter Nights. My friends and I would play on a server called "The Dragon Coast" (not an ad for it, it no longer exists....). It was a fun, family friendly server and mischievous members would be promptly booted.
    When my son wanted to play on a server, we found EMC to also be very family friendly. I enjoy the EMC style of creative/survival mode with almost any block being available to purchase. Voter items are awesome as one doesn't have to worry about losing them to death or wear.
    On EMC, I enjoy building simple houses and towers and I like to invite people to my SMP2 frontier city of Chicago. Recently I've been having fun tunneling around Underhelm and working on a tower there. I'm looking forward to the gliders in 1.9 and building good launching points for them.
    CARZOMG, ShelLuser, Moonglum_ and 5 others like this.
  2. stormcloak =P
    ShelLuser and We3IsTheNub like this.
  3. Growing up I had a NES and my best friend who lived two houses down had an Atari 2600. Later on he bought a Sega Genesis and I bought a Super Nintendo. So between the two of us we always had the latest and greatest but without having to spend a ton of money :D

ps. I never mentioned my age. I'm 37, which is over a billion seconds old.
  4. That sounds great!
    Ah, I wish I had that... :p
    Some great consoles, those are!
    luckycordel likes this.
  5. 2600 for me.:D
    607 likes this.
  6. I'm too young, then, I'm using Atari ST :p It isn't really a gaming console, but I definitely use it for gaming mainly. In fact, I use it for gaming only, as other things it can be used for have since been replaced by better alternatives.
    I'm so in love with the Atari ST's reading and writing sound <3
    AZHamster and luckycordel like this.
  7. Here's one that always freaks out the youngin's.

Before I went into the Navy, I went to college for a year, the "Introduction to Engineering" class that I took in 1983 included section on BASIC programming. Luckily for me, I had already been doing BASIC for a couple of years. I was attending a community college that was near a major university. Our computer system was tied into the university's. Our terminals in class for doing BASIC had a keyboard(no mouse) and the output device was a dot matrix printer, NOT a monitor. So you typed stuff in and it printed like a typewriter and then when you ran your BASIC program instead of displaying on a monitor, it "displayed" by printing out. :)
    CARZOMG, ShelLuser, AZHamster and 7 others like this.
  8. Awesome! Oh, I really love hearing this, it's a shame I missed so much of it ;)
  9. My first experience with computers was when my dad brought home an IBM 286 from his job. It was supposed to be there so he could work from home but I was obsessed with it, playing games and just messing around with it. This was back before Windows or any O/S GUIs existed, we used DOS.

This isn't especially cool but I was a mischievous kid and I quickly learned what the autoexec.bat file did and I went to my school's computer lab one day and copied over an animated gif (not going to say what the gif was) and I added it into the autoexec.bat file on each of the machines. So the next morning when the first class went in there for their lesson and they turned the computers on they got a nice surprise.

In Middle School, my school had a mix of Apple IIc's and Macintosh's (the Mac in the box, as I called it) and that was my first experience with Apple.
  10. Oh, wow, daring! I can't say I am not, though, the things I've done with school's computers, internet and data might be quite questionable... :rolleyes:
  11. You and me I am just a little older ;P
    We3_Nub_ and Phelps4 like this.
  12. I once got admin access to an entire computer lab while the teacher wasn't looking. Let's just say that making everyone listen to "Never Gonna Give You Up" for an hour while tech support was trying to figure out what happened was hilarious.

Oh, and I didn't get caught. =D
    Echelon815, We3_Nub_, khixan and 3 others like this.
  13. Also, being a 14 year-old kid on the thread is kinda weird... guess I'll go now. xD
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  14. i'm going to be honest and say that i had no idea half of the people who've commented on her were the age that they were :eek: like, what???
    my entire empire life has been a lie? lol why did i think someone was younger than they really are? like, sometimes 20-30 years younger than their real age?
    can we please get ages back on the forums because wow. wow. xD

i guess the age thing doesn't work for people who lied about the age xD or have someones old account. lol

anyway, i have been gaming since i was 5? sega gen, nintendo, super nintendo, 64, the playstation, the first xbox.. (all of which i still have consoles to) >_>
    thanks to my father for turning me into a gamer. xD
    i am 25, i joined here in 2012.. randomly wanting to try a multiplayer experience instead of playing mc by myself all the time.
  15. You're 25.

Are you sure? I'm not trying to be rude (I guess this is more of a compliment) but I would have thought you to be a slight bit older, like 28-30 or something :p
    We3_Nub_, 607 and battmeghs like this.
  16. most people think i'm younger than what i am, many people have said i don't look like i'm any older than 20 xD
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  17. Yeah, I miss the age thing... I'd really prefer if it was hidden by default, but available to be turned on... or perhaps even turned off automatically for people under 18 (like myself, unfortunately, but anything is better than nothing at all)...
    We3_Nub_ and battmeghs like this.
  18. You don't look any older than 20. I've always thought you were 28 or older from like, what you type (kind of :p).
    We3_Nub_, 607 and battmeghs like this.
  19. :p
    We3_Nub_ likes this.
  20. As an adult in the 40+ club, ;), I joined EMC because of my kids.

I just couldn't see the appeal of a low-res game.

I began my gaming adventures playing PONG at my cousin’s house. My very first console was the Atari 2600, before that I was on bulletin boards using my friends Commodore 64, running up the phone bill for long distance calling!

I began playing Minecraft when my son introduced me. I got tired of him resetting the server and all the work I put in my builds were suddenly gone! Shortly, thereafter he told me he was playing on EMC, I followed and was hooked. I usually mine and adventure more as a stress reliever now from my job in IT.

As my kids grew up, their playing time has been reduced. We had about 6 kids on the block all playing EMC at one time.

See ya, all in game!