Adults on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mob_Meal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. First off, I had the same thought as I joined.

Well I didn't get into MC until May/June of 2015. My cousins who are all 12+ years younger then myself. Had been playing on MC for a while. I never got what the big deal was about MC. I thought your just spending hours on the computer, for what?
    Then my cousin was spending the first week of his summer vacation at our Grandma's house. So i came over and he insisted i try MC...........So i did and as i thought i didn't care for it. ( Granted he had forgot his mouse for the computer.)
    So a week or two went bye and i thought okay, i'll get an account. So i got it and just played multi with the cousins in worlds i build in Single player on my laptop. They kept asking me if i was ever going to join a server. I kept saying no i like single player. So eventually i got tired player single player.

So after a few months of just playing single player and the occasional weekend multi player with the cousins. I got bored and decided i might try out a server. I asked them what servers they were on, but they never told. ( They were afraid I'd destroy their places, by waging a war with a rival faction. ) So after a onth of getting no where with them. I decided to look into servers.

At first i'd type into google: top ten best servers for playing minecraft I browse through the list and read what they're about. It was like that for a few weeks. Finally i took the plunge and clicked on the Empire. "I like Star Wars, so it was cool." Anyways i took the tutorial and have been on here since October 2015. (End of story.)
    CARZOMG, Echelon815, khixan and 8 others like this.
  2. Teen speaking here.
    As I'm 17 (turning 18 this october), I find it quite amusing to see how many adults there are here. I always feel so childish as I just realized that all of y'all are childish as well! At least, sometimes. Also, Foxy, #17-18yearoldclub? BTW. My older brother teases me about playing Minecraft ;-; He says I'm too old! Time to show him this thread.
  3. Cool stories :D

I've been gaming for as long as I can remember. Back in the NES days.. good times. My most favorite game was Super Mario 3. Got it for my bday. RAN to pop it in :D Boy how the games have changed :p

I was never a PC gamer though. Only consoles. My first PS game was Resident Evil. Played it for 5 minutes and was hooked. Played almost all later releases. I just never realized how much better it is on the PC until after I played fallout 3 on PS3. The constant freezing, lag, getting stuck everywhere. Too much.

When my daughter was about 9 or so, she was going on about this Minecraft game for months and months, never really looked into for some reason. Then a buddy said he played and that it was fun so I downloaded it. 'What do you mean punch a tree?' It was odd at first but became something fun. It was so basic of a game but so different then everything else. Was playing that for about 6 months, only in SP though for obvious reasons :p Finally I got soo bored with SP and took a break. Started reading about MP and seemed interesting. Bought the game and tried a few out. Most we're awful to me. I don't PVP so that ruled out many of them. I think EMC was the 3rd server I tried. Played on here for about 4 hours that first time and never left.

My daughter (11 now, 12 in 1 week :O) still likes SP creative or town no EMC. Hopefully soon she will want to try the wild here. I mentioned some info about land claiming, TPing out there, etc and she said she would come out once she can TP. So Aikar.. don't let an 11 year old down! :D (j/k of course)
  4. Eww dial up i hated dial up you couldn't even talk on the phone while on the internet. i started off playing Nintendo 64 then moved on to xbox and playstion I still have all my old consoles. Oh and also I'm 23 going to be 24 in August :p
    CARZOMG, Echelon815, Kytula and 3 others like this.
  5. I played Diablo 2 MP on dial-up for years :D
    ArchDukeMelon and Eviltoade like this.
  6. It must have been terrible. Only thing I ever played on pc was pinball i loved that game had a high score of 10 mil was not easy to get.
  7. I am an adult too, though I am not as old as a lot of you here. I am 18 years old (will be 19 this May). So I am a 'new' adult lol. Anyways, I am not super old-school like Atari and such, but I did play those games when I was young. I did have an Atari, but most of my time gaming was the Gameboy and Playstation stuff. I still have a love for those old 8-bit games. I still have them all and I do pick them up to play them when I am bored. Haha.

I got into Minecraft several years ago. I think I have been doing it for maybe 4 years. I have played on several different servers. Though I moved from server to server pretty frequently because there wasnt 1 specific one I enjoyed more than the rest. Though Hypixel was great fun. But when I found this server, it was an immediate fit and so I have come to stay. This has been by far the best server in terms of community and fun I have had playing Minecraft.

With all that being said, I might only be 18, but I would still consider myself an old-school gamer. I still currently go back to play all the staples that were out back when gaming was first coming into being. Now-a-days, I am more of a PC gamer and play MMOs when I am not playing Minecraft.
  8. Life long gamer, was building computers and running networks in the 1980's...the days where cassette tapes were your media and you could drive a document over to someone faster than it sent on your 300 baud pocket modem.

My wife (Ducky007) and I are both in our 40's and enjoy taking contraptions and ideas to the next level. That said however...I have been more than once told I'm very much a kid both in and out of games, while I love a lot of other games too ( Space games are my favorite...Elite, Eve Online, Star Citizen ), anything that can be a simulation or give me freedom to make stuff is awesome :)

Cheers
  9. 22 now. Grew up playing a Nintendo my parents bought me, Had A gameboy and then gameboy color with a few games. Love that pixelated stuff. Had an xbox after, then way later after bought a 360. years later bought a macbook (older self now). My brother had shown me Minecraft and I thought it was pretty dumb at first but then I saw that other people at School were playing it so I gave it a try. Been hooked ever since. Administered on my first server but it kind of sucked coz they pretty much promoted a lot of people to mod/admin. Hated that idea, too many people get banned. So after that place fell, I found EMC. *Economy, Plots, and Community!* That was the basic banner at the time. Figured I could be a Tycoon and make money and fund random stuff so I joined. Pretty relaxed place at first and business was booming. This is back in 2011. Couldn't log into an SMP unless you spam clicked or had supporter. I miss the days where you had to fight to get in. Made being online feel special. Cap back then was 40. 5 lower than today. Long story short I don't have to explain all the stuff in between then and now, I met a lot of people. Met some of them IRL. Had one live with me, and now planning to travel the world with some of them. Couldn't ask for a better community than that.
    jhtk01, THE_LEGEND4, khixan and 12 others like this.
  10. I'm 22 ~ I have grown up around gaming and technology my whole life; My dad had an NES and SNES I played with for the longest time - I even remember the first video game I got was BattleShip for SNES (Was for my birthday :p)

I got normal video games others got too as I grew up:
    PS1 for Christmas -> then PS2 when it came out
    GameBoy Advanced SP (Didn't have any before then, though I wish I had gotten into Pokemon more than I did)
    I received the Nintendo DS and a few games for my birthday

---A little bit older---
    I started saving up money and bought the Nintendo Wii -> then Xbox 360 -> then my own PC

For longest time I played call of duty on Xbox - Then one day I kept hearing everyone in my party talk about Minecraft, so I finally started playing Hamachi servers with them...

A friend of mine at school told me to join a server he found - I logged in (turned out to be this server) and have been around ever since...

Call of duty community kept getting more and more 'salty' - So I stopped playing Xbox all together eventually, and now I almost purely play Minecraft.
    Echelon815, khixan, Kytula and 8 others like this.
  11. I also play tabletop games, RPGs, Boardgames, card games, etc. I've played Pokemon and YuGioH with my son and have a deck of Magic the Gathering cards around here somewhere. And I've known people who play these games a lot older than myself.

One of my favorite quotes about playing games is this;

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw :)
  12. I love how so many people seem to have started out on Atari! Sometimes I'm afraid I'm the only one :p
  13. Great thread and stories, the first computer game I played was "Pong" a old table tennis games where the console was connected to the TV, possibly some time in the 70s or early 80s. My first PC game was Lords Of the Realm II a 16 bit game which I purchased around 1994 and still play on occasion. I purchased several for my son 'ehem' 'ehem' it was a good excuse :), I really enjoyed tomb raider back in 1996 although it was too advanced for my 6 year old at the time :p . Mario was a big favourite for some time and great for entertainment with a quad screen setup in Mario kart etc.

I was learning web design for a few years when I overheard someone in one of the Youtube videos I was watching talk about Minecraft and I decided to investigate. After purchasing the game and playing single player for about 6 months and looking at several videos about it I got to hear about a minecraft called somethingcraft it was only a small community but due to limited time for the own to maintain it, they eventually closed it. During that time I checked out several servers and came across EMC even to this day I have not found a server as good it just has a certain something. I have been here over 4 years now although not so much these days as I have become a full time student again but I still maintain my shops as best I can and check the website dailey. I not as young as I once was and I am not the oldest on the server as far as I understand :D, I have heard of some in their 60s and above which just goes to prove that a part of us never grows up completely
  14. Well, Magic the Gathering isn't exactly popular under the youth nowadays, I think :p
    PetuniaFigtree and jossytheninja like this.
  15. Yea, kinda regional. I know some younger players, but we have a small-to-medium tournament group here. I wish I had my old cards from Beta, Unlimited and Arabian Nights....
    607 likes this.
  16. (sorry for triple post, this thread is going quick!)
    Hey, now, what does growing up have to do with playing video games? :p
    Echelon815 and Silken_thread like this.
  17. yeah the youngest players I know are in their 20s but my younger cousins like to watch us older cousins play sometimes :p It's a bit hard for them to understand completely but one day, maybe for Christmas, I'll get them their own cards :p
    CARZOMG and 607 like this.
  18. Not sure if 17 qualifies, 18 in October, but these are great stories! The spectrum of ages that play on EMC always amazes me.
  19. there are no adults on emc
  20. I'm 21, (Just Turned Feb 10th), so i am an adult. I am a full time college student, with many side projects in real life, and many ingame, I hail from smp6, where i have been for the last 4 years. I am on mumble very often, and so are many other older players. If you ever want to check it out visit http://mumble.emc.gs/

Also, here is my Bio into EMC http://empireminecraft.com/threads/hey-emc.44537/