Adults on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mob_Meal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Well I believe I'm one of the older kids on this server, at 67 last January. I believe I am now in my second or third childhood and loving it. I also remember using the Atari, Sega Gen, etc. The first game console I got, actually bought it for my son for Christmas, was the Nintendo Entertainment System. The last console I bought was the Xbox 360, one of the first ones out, hard wired to the internet as it has no wifi.
    I originally played minecraft when it first came out and was free, although I found it got very boring fast back then as there was only blocks, no mobs at all. rediscovered it about 5 years ago and down loaded a copy to the Xbox. bought a copy and down loaded to the PC about 3 years ago, started to get bored playing by myself and joined my first server (EMC) at the beginning of 2014 and I'm still here and loving it. ;)

2. I believe the phrase is "Rick rolled" lol ;)
    Echelon815 and khixan like this.
  3. Mine was the 2600. And my brother and I had and played ET which is one of the worst games I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing
    Echelon815 and luckycordel like this.
  4. Oh, the legendary ET video game! Largely responsible for the video game crash ;)
  5. If there's one thing which I learned during my past 45 years its that the saying "you're as old as you feel" is absolutely true. Of course it also helps if you don't allow yourself to get confined to (in my opinion): silly ideas that you shouldn't do certain things merely because you happen to have a certain age, sometimes triggered by the people around you.

Some of my friends completely fail to understand why I'm so fascinated with Minecraft whereas some even consider it "a game for 10 year olds". Of course I really couldn't care less and it doesn't bother nor stop me from enjoying myself playing it.

I'll bet everyone has similar experiences like that.
  6. I've heard this so many times yet they act like 10 year olds all the time. I'm fourteen and playing this and I'm having fun. Big games are going to get big hate because they couldn't afford this awesomeness.

Screw Book reports Im Playing EMC!
  7. I'm 18 again!!! At lease I feel that way.
    My friends are the same way. Your to old for minecraft, they say. I tell em, Ya don't know what cha missing lol:D
    Moonglum_, ShelLuser and We3_Nub_ like this.
  8. I will be turning 30 next Tuesday. I have a 2 yr old girl and ArchDukeMelon is my pet. i have been a gamer all my life really. I have Asperger and ADHD. witch made life easier to just fall in to games, they had rules. and they were boxed and simple. no weird rule fluctuation of the hoomans of life. i still find my self with the short stick in hooman interactions, cause people think im weird or creepy, but its not so much in text.

i started with Nintendo, i was not much of a pc gamer, i was more of the console.
    but i was tricked into trying World of WarCraft, for 3 solid years i played WoW, loved it. loved the people.

funny thing.. i was actually our guild events organizer there as well, i planned what instances and when,(making sure we would have enough players to run instances, times , etc) i planned group fun farmings, i eventually also planned a meeting with us. and we did meet the summer of 2011, we met in England and stayed together on a caravan site for 6 days. it was brilliant. then life hit most of us, and one and one we stopped playing. that where i found Minecraft, i hated the solo play tho, so i made a server my self!
    it was hard, getting people to join, getting people to stop griefing, getting people to just.. be nice. melon was my "senior staff" the one with the god powers. it didint live long.

i got pregnant, and got sick, i was not allowed to work or.. stand after the 16th week, so .. i found Skyrim. i lived there while i was not allowed to do anything and everyone i knew had to work. so that is why i have 1700 hours of playtime.
    after my kid was born, i buried my self in a game called Parallel Kingdom, it was a mobile based game, that had quests and activities and other people, but it didint have any urgency really. so i could sneak at it when my sapling was sleeping, and toss it aside should it stir. when my maternity leave was over, i wanted to play a more active game, thats where i asked melon to try to find a server that was similar to my ideas, and he found EMC. my exact idea of a server... owned by someone who could actually do it.
    i still play skyrim tho, and fallout 4. but most my game times goes when my child is sleeping. i can hardly wait for sapling to come of the age where she can play, i can already somewhat play Super mario bro's 3 with her :D
  9. Eyyy, got more Skyrim playing moderators
    We need to get to work on implementing some Skyrim references into EMC.
    Or just have the build team recreate Whiterun
  10. Why am I just finding this thread? I will turn 49 this year, my son got me started on Minecraft back in the early Beta release and we have played several servers together. I actually found EMC first and he and his gf joined in but have since stopped playing on this server. I have 2 kids, son (FloshPlosh) is 22 and daughter 25. So I stayed on because I can do everything I want to without fear of finding my base being blown to smithereens when I log on - I actually played mostly single player until I found EMC because all the multiplayer servers I tested did not offer protection for outposts. Perfect mix of Vanilla and Other People. I love you EMC!
    CARZOMG, ShelLuser, AZHamster and 9 others like this.
  11. I'm 28. My ex girlfriend showed me some of her castles on x box like 4 years ago. I thought minecraft looked quite boring. Then last year I was playing star wars the old Republic and they did a graphics update that my card wouldn't keep up with. I started looking for other things to play and stumbled headlong into minecraft. It reminded me of a "chat room" I used about 18 years ago called active world's. A week into EMC and I wasn't going anywhere.

I did play minecraft PE about 3 years ago because I was living in a place with no internet. PE wasn't nearly as fun at that time as it supposedly is now. It had TINY world's too. Good riddance nether reactor.
  12. now this!!! this is something i could think of doing!!
    ShelLuser, luckycordel and Gawadrolt like this.
  13. I have quite a few children within my family & friends who I watch play and support. Before my oldest was 3, he could log in into a PC with his username and password and start his game. Not that he could read, but he just memorized what to do.

(He also memorized names of like 20 dinosaurs. He had a set of figures and the names were written on the bottom, so adults would turn the toy over and read the name when he asked which one it is. When a new nanny was playing with him for the first time, she asked him the names of the dinosaurs, and he would take the figure, turn it over and say the name. She was perplexed - she thought that the 3 yrs old can read. :D)

Well, what I actually want to tell you, from my experience, is that if you want to play complex computer games that require attention and patience with your kids, then you most probably need to consequently limit their TV and computer games time according to their maturity. Otherwise you might end up with kids that don't want to play, but rather want to watch other people play on youtube!

From my experience, approximately:
    0 - 3: zero TV and computer time. Just none. Instead: more of Duplo / Lego, playground, sandbox, books / stories
    4 - 5: 1/2 hr 3-4 days per week: educational games for kids and/or anime for kids, including Teletubbies :)
    6 - 7: up to 2x 1/2 hr 3-4 days a week with at least 15 min break
    8 - 10: up to 2x 1 hr 3-4 days a week with at least 15 min break

0 - 7: always together with parent, nanny or older kids (preferably 14+) to take care and support them, if possible never alone

Generally, watch the kids play, watch how they play and react.
    Encourage them to choose reasonable goals in the game and try to reach the next achievement.
    Take care that they always have a lot of quality playtime away from TV, computer and all other video games.

It's not too hard to see if a kid had enough of computer playing time and/or if it's near or over it's attention and cognitive limits with it. When a kid starts losing patience, starts acting nervous and e.g. starts blowing up everything with tnt, then it has already had way too much computer time.

Good luck! :)
    CARZOMG, Zrugite, ShelLuser and 5 others like this.
  14. I would love to see some Skyrim build on EMC.
  15. Thought I might share a few things that made me feel nostalgic ^_^

VoxelRay, ShelLuser, Acemox2k and 8 others like this.
  16. Thank you, great post!
    Hm, I'm actually not positive what level that is from... :oops: It's surely in World 5... hm... it's 5-1, isn't it?
    ShelLuser, luckycordel and Kytula like this.
  17. A yes played a lot of Age of Empires, just found Age of Kings last week and just testing now to see if it loads and works on win10.

I spent many happy hours with this in the past.
  18. Indeed it is ^_^
    lol though I had to look it up myself too :p
    607 and luckycordel like this.
  19. Haha, yes! :D I knew you weren't referring to a specific level, but I just had to show my experience at the game at nearly a nerd level :cool:
    (I know where every 1-up mushroom is too, and without using a site like you used above ;))
    We3_Nub_ and Kytula like this.
  20. Do I count? I'm 27. I remember being around 3, sitting and watching my parents and my uncle gathered around the tv playing Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES at midnight because "Just one more level." As soon as I could play, that's what I did. I grew up playing or watching Dad play on the NES (We had to take turns because it was himself, myself and my younger sister who all got hooked on games). We eventually got a Sega Genesis, and it went on from there. We eventually got an N64, Playstation, PS2, Gameboy Advance and it seemed like each year those came out my sister and I got the upgraded version :p.

I used to play mostly on consoles and if I played anything on the pc it was The Sims or some little game that held my attention for a bit and then I got bored. I didn't really discover the world on Online gaming until I was 16. I was playing on one of those little virtual pet sites and their forum talked about an MMO called MapleStory. I was interested and once I found it, sat and waiting for the download, chose a server and before I knew it, Dad's alarm for work at 6am was going off and I was trying to be as silent as I could. I was hooked, got my parents and sister hooked. From then I moved on to a few others. I ended up finding WoW, I've played SWTOR, Diablo 3, Terraria, list goes on. I still have a 3DS and play it when bored in the car.

Around 4? years ago or so I heard about Minecraft but found out you had to pay for it so I just gave up and went back to playing other games. When my sister discovered a youtuber (Tobuscus) playing minecraft, we sat talking on Skype and laughing about it all until we ended up buying the game and trying it out. I immediately went searching for minecraft servers and found one that seemed to be full of younger kids all shouting about marriage and stuff and Noped right out of there. I then found EMC. We played it for a good while and then took a break. When we're not in Minecraft I'm in Guild Wars 2 or something else. I just came back today and hoping to make a habit of it. Trying to get a plot near an old one I had, played FireFloor, trying to get used to all the old commands I used to have memorized xD.
    CARZOMG, ShelLuser, Pab10S and 6 others like this.