Adults on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mob_Meal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. I'm an adult who plays on EMC. At first, I thought it would be strange, but I've met quite a few other adults here that play as well. So I thought I'd tell you a bit about me in the hopes of getting to know some of the other adults here. I'm not a big "gamer" but occasionally I find one that I really enjoy. To me, Minecraft is like Legos with monsters.

I've been on EMC since August. It started out by me looking for a server that I felt comfortable with and that was appropriate for my son fisher9876543210 who was 9 at the time. I came across EMC and immediately felt like this could be a good fit. I watched over as he went through the tutorial & the first bit that he played. Later, I logged in using his account and played some myself. I had played MC on single player a fair amount, but I liked EMC so much that 2 days later I went and bought my own account. Then about 2 months later I got a 6 mo gold supporter. Recently, my daughter Katie_Bear has joined the Empire as well.

So what's your story? On here because of your kids? Just love building & design? Or are you an old school gamer? Started with an Atari, moved to coding your own choose your adventure games on your Commodore 64, then to hacking with a dial-up modem and a bulletin board system, and now still are gaming pretty much every night? BTW, the whole bit starting with Atari on just described my older brother, but he doesn't play MC.
  2. I'm all growd up too. I have a 10 year old. He got minecaft for his xbox and I thought it was interesting. Said something to the 3 IT guys I work with and their ears perked up. They had a server they paid monthly for and played together on. They sucked me in and taught me everything. They got rid of the server. Played a bit on the monster servers, thought it was not really minecraft. Played for quite a while on a faction server, beat it but found it monotonous. Then found EMC. Great mix of things a guy can do. Great unique items and community activities but still the real minecraft. Can even build something without worrying that somebody will blow it up. My son gets on a little but generally would rather watch youtube videos of other people playing minecraft. Wha?!? What's happened to the world when you can't get your kid to play video games.
    deathconn, CARZOMG, mjnoe70 and 20 others like this.
  3. I would describe myself as an old school gamer: pretty much everything you described above with atari, commodore 64, dial up, bbs', nintendo, sega genesis etc all the way up to ( all kinds of ) PC(s) and xbox's (one) and playstations (4).

Originally I joined EMC because I was looking for a place where I could interact in a community setting while simultaneously "saving" my builds so I could log in from anywhere to access them. I immediately fell in love with EMC and only after a month or so I became a gold supporter. About six months later I applied for staff, and two months after that I was accepted. I have now been a moderator for over a year and I love it. Couldn't ask for a better community (love you all) or staff team.
    Cya in game mob_meal!

-ET
  4. Baaa

Two sons - 14 and 11 and are 'confused' that dad knows how to do everything on MC. Been a gamer since C64 days and the obsession has only grown thanx to a bigger wallet. I, too, think MC is legos with monsters - since I never had legos as a kid - I'm playing crazy atm. I am currently trying to dabble in some video editing (have Camtasia and a green screen setup) but haven't done anything officially yet.

I can honestly say that 99.999% of my server time on MC has been EMC - this was the first one I 'found' WAY back in the early days of the server - I visited a couple others but left after about 2 mins. I've dabbled with my own server (a simple self hosted with no other people - but it was honestly just a big PitA) to try and 'keep' vanilla aspects.

I will continue to support and 'play' on EMC!
    CARZOMG, mjnoe70, Jam_11 and 15 others like this.
  5. I'm an adult, yay! I play Minecraft for one reason and that's because my co-workers introduced me to this game about 3 years ago or so and I've been addicted ever since. I don't consider myself a gamer, there are just a very small handful of games I like and the ones I play are usually fairly simple in design. I like Tetris, Mario, Zelda, Minecraft, etc.

I joined EMC because originally we were playing on a server hosted at my job but the server got taken down and I needed a fix. I think I just happened upon EMC, forget exactly how. I've tried other servers too but this is by far the best one.
    mjnoe70, khixan, Kytula and 13 others like this.
  6. With 45 years of age (turning 46 this year) I guess I count as one too, right? ;) Nice thread idea!

For me it's all about Minecraft. I've been playing Minecraft for nearly 2 years now; my girlfriend introduced me to it and I quickly got hooked. She doesn't really care for multiplay on the Internet so the most we did was playing on a private (LAN) server. Now, we don't live together or anything but we do talk to each other daily and visit each other quite often (nearly every weekend), in which we're also playing. It also helps that my LAN server is open to her so sometimes we're also playing during the weeks these days.

Anyway... I enjoyed myself so much that I wanted a bit more. I discovered Minecraft servers only a few days after I discovered Minecraft and that is basically all there is to it. Due to certain circumstances I decided to leave the server I used to play on and that's when I discovered EMC, now almost 1.25 years ago.

One of my main advantages is that I do most, if not all, work from home and a large part of that is filled up with (technical) phone support. So I basically got a nice headset plugged into the PC and I can play MC while on standbye.

This even went as far as "hacking" into OneNote (one of my favorite Office programs) so that I can control some features of my incident registration system (made myself using VBA) using its launcher. In short: one specific keyboard combination press will minimize all Java instances and open up my registration system :p

I'm actually a little jealous (not really, but still; I do envy some of you guys) when it comes to playing with family on EMC. I haven't given up completely, but I really hope to persuade my gf to join me on EMC someday.

But yeah...

Speaking of adults. I have to admit that it was a bit of a culture shock for me to discover that EMC is home of all kinds of ages. Which is really funny to me... I've seen (read) the town chat convo's where some players were apparently building something and would start "girls not allowed here" which really made me grin because that brought back quite some dated memories :p

And of course you get the occasional player who asks you for your age, you answer them and they simply don't believe you :p

SO yeah dear reader... In OUR days... :D

Well, we didn't have this Minecraft thing yet :p
    mjnoe70, VoxelRay, Jam_11 and 22 others like this.
  7. Although I am younger than most of you, I am 17 about to turn 18 in a couple of days. I find it quite intriguing your stories being introduced to this game.

I was introduced in my 7th grade year. I am now a Senior about to graduate High School :p
  8. I think that I am younger than most of y'all (23 - 24 at the end of April), but my gaming experience started with the NES. I discovered the NES when I was about 5 years old and would spend copious amounts of time playing the Mario Bro's/Duck Hunt Game, as well as a bunch of others that I cannot remember. And after that I just kept moving up, the super nintendo, N64, PS1, PS2. After the PS2 I got a whiff of the xbox 360 and have stayed in the Microsoft family :p
    As for Minecraft, I bought the game for my computer I would say 4 1/2 years ago. I really didn't mess with multiplayer for the first 6 months, but then I got curious. I got to looking up servers and I discovered EMC...and well the story just goes on from here.
    I don't have any kids (or plan on it) but I do have a little brother who I introduced to the world of video games. He is only 12, but he is doing his best to save money to get a computer to come join us on EMC :p

Oh P.S. You can never be too old for any games. I just bought Pokemon Yellow for my 3DS this weekend. I love that 8bit graphics and the 4bit music :p
    mjnoe70, Jam_11, Echelon815 and 17 others like this.
  9. I just turned 27 and I love games in general. My son (who is 8) got me into minecraft about a year and a half ago and I joined emc soon after. I've been playing video games since I can remember though. When I was little I started on the SNES (which I still have), then played Medal of Honor on my ps2, made my way through Xbox, and eventually ended up playing on the PC. My son and I still use the Xbox to play games together, so it's not only a way for me to have fun but a way for me and him to do things together.
    CARZOMG, mjnoe70, Echelon815 and 12 others like this.
  10. Foxy, you young pup.
  11. Im a young god with my 21 years old. I played alot of video games. I mostly played Dragon Ball Z with a friend on the nintendo back in the days. And ofcourse Mario ! I love(d) it! Now playing a bit Fifa 16 , CoD Black Ops III and sometimes Grand Theft Auto V. Im waiting for The Division. I got a PS4, but in the future Im gonna buy a Game Computer :)

How I became playing Minecraft? I just saw it somewhere on the internet, and I was bored. So I was like, lets try!
    And the first server I was playing on is.. EMC! I tried a few others servers while playing on EMC. But EMC is just the perfect server for me. I can do whatever I want.

ps. Sorry for my English...
    mjnoe70, Echelon815, We3_10AC and 9 others like this.
  12. Aw, I'm too young, I guess :p
    Sometimes I feel like I'd rather have been born in the 70's, so I could've experienced the developments I now research while they were happening, but then I wouldn't have had EMC for a big part of my life!

13. Hey!

I'm going to turn 51 in about 2 weeks or so. I've played computer games since the early 80s. A friend of mine and I used to play old games on his Radioshack TRS-80 Model II and I remember playing on another friend's Apple II computer. At one point I owned an Apple IIc. I've done electronic(RF communications and several other things) and computer repair/IT support for a long, long time. Longer than most people here on EMC, though not in this thread, have been alive. :)

I do remote support on laptops, smartphones, and PDAs now and love it. Low stress IT job for a company that likes me. :)

My son started playing Minecraft when version 1.0 was released. He's 18 now and about to graduate from High School. We let him D/L and buy it as part of a birthday present back then. He showed it to me and I played it on singleplayer off and on, mostly off. Couple of months ago I started playing it again, mostly during work but also to relax after work. I work from home, so I don't have anyone else with my company watching over me, as long as I do my work, they don't care what else I do. I have a backup computer setup to run MC when I'm clocked in, like right now. He's a better MC builder than I am.

So, anyway, a couple of months ago, I decided to look into multiplayer and found EMC while using my son's account. He doesn't use it for multiplayer all that much, unless he is playing with friends on a LAN. I liked EMC(and a couple of other servers that I won't name) so I finally decided to purchase my own MC account and here I am. I mostly like to run around exploring and adventuring finding stuff. I mine some, mostly to get resources I need. Earlier on I mined, collected and sold everything I could find to get enough rupees to buy a few expensive things but now I've got enough for me to buy the few things I don't feel like going out to get or I just can't get but if I need something, I'd rather just go out and find it on my own.
  14. I guess I qualify too huh? So far I'm loving reading these stories.

I'm 24, going to be 25 this year (i think). I actually was a big console player for the longest time. Ignoramoose introduced me to Minecraft when I was in college and obsessed with Skyrim some 4 years ago. He found EMC so that we could play together. Shortly after joining, I was hooked. I ditched the dragons and fell in love with the Lego aspect of Minecraft instead.

My first PC game and I haven't felt the need to play anything else since. :)

I've since had my older brother play, his friend, 2 of my cousins, and currently attempting to convince grandma. We'll see how that goes...
    deathconn, CARZOMG, mjnoe70 and 23 others like this.
  15. Yup, I've been told that I'm an adult or at least I'm supposed to be one or act like one or something like that. I'll be 36 in July. I'm a long time gamer having started on Atari and working my way through Commodore 64, NES, SNES, Genesis, PS, Xbox, etc...My all time favorite system is the SNES and they have some of the best RPG games of all time. On a side note, I cannot believe that through an emulator I can now play some of my favorite old games on my cellphone. Simply amazing. ;)
    I started playing Minecraft when my ex-brother-in-law showed me how he was occupying time in his high school computer class. This blocky building game reminded me of old school 8 or 16 bit games. Needless to say, I was hooked. I messed around on the trial version on the Minecraft website then decided I'd buy the real game. I played a lot of single player before discovering and finally joining my first server, which happened to be EMC. I've been around this community about 4 years but had to take a break due to work, a dying laptop (no funds to fix it), a brutal divorce and just life getting in the way. I did play off & on on a few other multiplayer servers then my laptop finally passed on to computer heaven and I quit playing all together. I found a new job and started rebuilding my life block by block. I finally fixed up the old computer but don't get much time with it since my girlfriend came around. She loves Minecraft & gaming in general. Haven't gotten her on the server yet, but it'll happen soon. Being computerless stinks, so I went out & bought/built a brand new Alienware desktop. I finally got it tweeked to just where I wanted it performance wise when I started feeling the urge to return to EMC...but didn't because I became seriously distracted. I discovered Ark Survival Evolved. Damn it. A game with dinosaurs trying to eat you is just too much fun to pass up so I've been stuck on it since it came out. But the urge to return to Minecraft never went away and has recently been growing and growing. It has become so strong that I cannot fight it anymore. Been playing recently on LAN with my girlfriend and it's fun but I wanted to return to where it all started. She's not quite ready to jump into multiplayer, worried about her building skills and wanting to get better at the game before she does. So I'm back. Refreshed, excited and ready to get going yet again.
  16. I'll have you know, I'm nearly 16 years old ;)

That's adult enough for me. I don't want to get older - I can work, smoke, drink, move out, join the army, pay tax, 'bucket of chicken' with nines (if you know what I mean ;)) and I'll be doing my exams days before and after I hit that age. I don't want to be 16 :(
  17. Going on 45 years old here. I grew up during the peak of the late 1970's/early 1980's stand alone video game era and spent many an afternoon burning through quarters at Battle Stations arcade in Raleigh, N.C. I went through several home gaming consoles over the years including Pong, Atari 2600, Intellivision, Nintendo NES, Sega Genesis, etc... I also have always loved old DOS computer games going back all the way to the original IBM Personal Computer and up until the mid-1990's at which time Windows became ubiquitous.

Modern gaming has for the most part always left me cold. It seems dominated by fighting games, and while I don't begrudge anybody their right to bear arms, I have never enjoyed the shoot 'em up games like Halo or violent games like Grand Theft Auto which seem to dominate the industry these days. They're big on graphics but light on strategy.

Anyway, after many years of mainly playing retro games using emulators on my PC I decided to try something new. I got hooked on this game after watching old Yogscast Minecraft adventure videos with Lewis and Simon. There were so many different ways to spend your time using the same software and that really appealed to me. So I took the plunge and bought an account in 2013. I played single-player exclusively for almost a year before looking into multiplayer servers. Empire Minecraft was one of the first few that I tried out and I consider myself fortunate to have stumbled upon it so early on.

I play vanilla using no mods other than Optifine primarily for relaxation during evenings and weekends. I work for an engineering firm in real life so the technical aspect of constructing complex, functional structures also appeals to me. My daughter is six years old and has started playing Minecraft on creative mode. Maybe someday in the not-too-distant future she'll be joining the EMC family as well.
    CARZOMG, mjnoe70, VoxelRay and 15 others like this.
  18. So I am an adult but a kid at heart. I turn 50 this year in September. My son, who is in his 20s and is AzRicer, and I have been on Empire since 2013 and I was once a moderator. Then in 2014 we took a break and now we are back. Love the Empire and very happy to see all the great changes made.

A little about myself, as you can see from my name I am from Arizona. Moved here in 93 when I got out of the Army. Spent 9 years in the Army as a Military Policeman. Always been a geeky sort of guy, I remember having a cassette tape as a backup device on my computer and a 300 baud modem using the phone coupler. Yeah, I am old. LOL

Now I am a database administrator and have been for many years. I love technology and gaming.
  19. Although I am nowhere near qualifying for adult, just wanted to say how much I am loving these stories :p
    mjnoe70, Kippy159, deathconn and 12 others like this.
  20. I'm 22 so I guess that means I'm technically an adult...I've been a big gamer all my life. My dad was a big gamer back in his days so I grew up with the N64, NES, Sega Genesis and eventually xbox. So my love for games and gaming have always been there...until one day while at my fiances house he decided to play this stupid game with his older brother...I was beyond bored watching them create this super cannon thingamagig...How could anyone ever find this game fun?! About a month later after being being begged to give the game a chance I gave in and played it on the xbox 360 with my fiance and I gotta admit I enjoyed it :D then..my obsession began. I bought it myself for my 360 and eventually for my laptop since a friend of mine said it was a better version of the game, and he was totally right! My fiance created a server and all our friends joined and we had a lot of fun creating a huge town. Sadly though the server had to be put on hold because my fiance started a new job that took up all his time :'( So i was left to play with myself ...which isn't too fun for me I tried and failed...I suck at building but I'm a great gatherer and miner xD But what's the use of being good at that and have no one to share your riches with?! D: I had to find some other server to join that was similar to my fiances and I eventually found this one! Which is just as great! I've made many friends on here and surprisingly most are adults which is really cool!
    Echelon815, Kytula, Eviltoade and 8 others like this.