Adults on EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mob_Meal, Mar 4, 2016.

1. I, too, am an adult. I also seem to be stalking lauwenmark, as I just commented on their art post.

TOTALLY NOT FOLLOWING YOU
  2. Looks like I got a creepy fan club :D
    Gawadrolt, SirTah, 607 and 3 others like this.
  3. Drinking age in the UK is 16? In Canada it is 19 :( . I am 17 so I guess i'll have to move there so I can legally drink, or ask my adult sister for her alcohol. :p

I guess I qualify for an adult sort of at 17, even though not legally an adult until 18, in 10 months.
    I started gaming with a computer running windows 98, playing roller coaster tycoon 2 as a kid. I then got into Nintendo and the command and conquer games (Red alert 2 mostly). Two years ago I began playing BFp4f, before it was shut down (had over 50 days worth of play time in the year i played), then found Minecraft. I played Sp for 2 months then got bored and looked for a server. I found EMC after looking for servers that I could buy and sell stuff in an economic market, and could build freely without too many restrictions. I also Introduced my sister and my 50 yr-old dad to EMC, who both play regularly as well.
    Kytula and 607 like this.
  4. Just move to Alberta. They got it at 18, and I believe a couple over provinces do as well, but I can't name them off the top of my head :p
    Zrugite and SirTah like this.
  5. Bump for CARZOMG
  6. I love this one !, what license does the image have ? Because i like to show it some others.
    Kytula likes this.
  7. Googling it doesn't seem to reveal much:
    Kytula likes this.
  8. I am a MC grandparent supporting 2 grandsons on Empire. I enjoy building, not so much PVP ( hard to keep up with young players ). My primary residence is on smp1 #166 The TREEhouse If you need wood ok to use as long as you replant. I'm probably the oldest member. Cya thx. Update - grandsons now go to prep school in Canada so not much time for MC. Interesting fact, my 1st Apple II+ cost $1600 ( $100@k), everyone I've purchased since has been approx. $1600. Now run on iMAC desktop OS Sierra. I am mostly out on smp1 resource frontier at the Northern Outpost.
    Lomax70, jossytheninja and Kytula like this.
  9. I'm a dolt. I think most would agree with that and not just because I'm 18. :p
    jossytheninja likes this.
  10. Ha ha. Talk about nostalgia eh. Neverwinter nights... Star wars... Pong... Dos... Dial up modems...

I remember when we had dial up chat rooms too.

This thread seems to have been bumped to active so...
    Ok so I used to be a gamer long ago. I have a mid 40s skin filled with kid on the inside.

I havent played much for decades.. but my business is self sufficient, and a life changing event caused us to move last year. During that time my kids got me involved in mc.

I found the game intriguing for certain.. but felt it lacked something... so I looked for servers. The kids are all pro pvp.. skywars etc. But yes they are way faster then me at this time with my rusty reflexes...

I liked the building and survival more... so looked for the right server for me. Somewhere to play... but with some interaction with other people vs just playing solo.

I checked top server lists and bang.... Empire caught my eye. Star wars.. yes. But also a big fan of Rome.. egypt... greece... etc

Found a great community here. And that has kept me here. No need to look to other servers. Have tried to get my kids to join but they have signed up and not really played much... that may change sometime.

Now being able to play survival. Or build in town without interuptions... or even fish... helps me relax and spend a nice time. If i want to interact and chat I can, or go off and build in the wild for some quiet time also. It brings just what i think solo play was missing though. Human content.

I dont know if I will play frequently forever... but I am certain I will keep myself coming back as long as the Empire is here.

Happy holidays one 'n all, and thanks for the warm welcome.
  11. Pretty much the same here. CARZ smp1 Southwest spawn North and South Outposts.
  12. Wow, chat rooms, so anyone do the big IRC craze in the early 90s? So this is a great thread, but so so many stories, I need to come back and read them all. I got all of the first page done and love to see there are so many in my age range playing games and loving EMC and minecraft.

While I'm still a new MC player, about 7 months now, I am a life long gamer. I can remember most of the things I've read. I was one of the people with a 2 phone line home, dual 2400bps modems running a bbs.

I got in to the internet when it was still gopher, way before http and was 99% military and educational things. The day that I saw my first picture link to a screen shot of doom I about fell out of the chair I was sitting in.

I never have been much in to console gaming, though I see some appeal. I've always been in to pc games, especially ones where I could code or design in my own content. I made both mods for Quakc and Quake II, several maps and skins for both plus Q3 Arena and Unreal (and it's variants). I have been in very successful FPS clans and involved in many past online tournaments, but I grew bored with that style of play because it was really the same thing looking better each time. I tossed in some strategy games (eg Civ's multiple of em) and RTS (love AOE, Star Craft, etc...) but moved in to beta testing World of Warcraft about 6 months before its release. I then spent 80-90% of my gaming time playing that for the better part of 12 years.

Then my kids introduced me to Minecraft. I thought what is this horrible looking blocky thing they are playing. I mean, it looks worse than a child's toy! ...of course, I love 3 year old's toys, so I should have known I would love this. Here I am today. Learning fast and enjoying myself.

So to end it all I'm heading for 47 in September. I have 3 children, all girls and all grown up now themselves. All 3 are on this server, as is my wife and "psuedo daughter" so we can play together. I guess it may be better sstated so I can make rupees to support them, the wife can dig holes and the "kids" can all play together where they want.

13. Yay, finally you posted here! :D
    mjnoe70 and ShelLuser like this.
  14. No, not this thread again. Thanks for making me feel old again guys :D

I spend 6 or so years on IRC, yeah. At a time when dial-up was a thing. Basically I got home, had dinner, watched some TV and then dialed in. Was actually a bit more to it than that. This is also when Linux started its vast uprise, and when I got a solid taste of what Sun Solaris (Unix) was all about.

Not sure if I was still living with my parents or had moved a few houses away, but I had quickly set it up so that the actual dial-up was done using a Linux server (I was either still running OS/2 or I already migrated to Linux/KDE). The server ran a Squid proxy server which effectively resulted in my parents being able to also enjoy Internet.

All on a whooping 28k connection at first which later on got upgraded to 56k6 :D

I used the same knowhow to setup Internet at work and give everyone full access, which was pretty amazing.

Man, ADSL was a life (and money) safer :D I still remember that in one month I had a phonebill for around 300 guilders. That's what you get if you leave the phone line open for approx. 3 - 4 hours during the week and an easy 6 - 8 hours (per day) during the weekend :eek:

NetHack and Wumpus for the win! :D

ha ha ha, awesome story. I can relate to that, that was also roughly my first reaction. "The heck is this nonsense?" :)

Now that is funny... So you're also from '70's. Well, at least I still get to call you a youngster (I'm from May 1970 :D).

Thanks for sharing!
    607 and mjnoe70 like this.
  15. I'll cast the first stone, blame our friend CARZOMG for posting in here today, it showed up in the list and I had to read it.
    and then some! Even the first time I played it, I'm not sure I was taken. My first times playing were probably almost funny to watch, I had no clue what a work bench was and I just kept using wood logs (but built a nice, block, but nice home and barn) while I planted trees right next to the house stacked next to each other and took them down by hand (no axes) to get it all. Oh and the dang kids thought it would be funny to stand me in our barn yard next to and enderman. Of course when I got back I looked up. Who knew! ....and who swore coal and iron were only found on hills in the outdoors?

That's why my id ends in 70! Where is your love for your birth year! ShelLuser70, I love it! ...and just cause I feel like it... 607-70, has such a nice ring. There should probably be everyone's name with 70 in it, like TomVanWijnen70, Eviltoade70 (but not 70_Eviltoades), weeh-70 (wait this one might exist already) and all other names with 70 too... If you want you can mix it up like Crystal70Dragon13 (so many choices with this one), 70Raaynn, Mob_70_Meal has a good ring to it and 70Sachrock makes me shiver a bit!

Anyway, got way off this topic, so to bring it back where it belongs glad to have joined EMC. I spent my first 2 weeks looking for just this server and I think I knew it was the right one the first time I ran out of spawn on smp9 when I didn't have a clue what to do on EMC and actually didn't really know what to do on Minecraft. I can't wait to get to read the rest of the stories in this unique and fun thread.
    607, CARZOMG, ShelLuser and 1 other person like this.
  16. >_> I've been on IRC since 2003? Still on it every day :p
    VoxelRay, ThaKloned, 607 and 3 others like this.
  17. Used to have an IRC Camaro!
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  18. I like Carmaros but not quite the same thing... I used mIRC for years but I have not used IRC in a while with all the different instant messengers out there. I think I really changed once ICQ came out and could merge all the active ones. I just remember before the instant messengers, facebook and all that IRC was a fun way to chat.
    CARZOMG likes this.
  19. Actually, your correct, not quite the same the Camaro was IROC. :)
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  20. Damn.
    I turned 17 nearly 3 months ago. There's 9 months until I'm 18 and actually am an adult, 10 months until I leave college, and 14 months until I go to university (may or may not be 26 months depending on whether I take a gap year). Do I qualify to post in this thread then? :p
    *this actually scares me because I've been on EMC since I was 11 and had just started secondary school a few months prior*

Also, please don't ask me what 'bucket of chicken with nines' means. Even I don't know. Judging by the winky face I'm going to assume it has a deeper meaning inappropriate for EMC... :rolleyes:
    Slvr and 607 like this.