[RULES] Update to Chat Limits

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Mojang is quite insensitive when it comes to "the living impared"
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. In mumble there are 'PG' channels i assume that these words are not allowed to be spoken there either?
  3. I completely understand why this was done as quite a large portion of EMC's 'population' consists of the younger humans.. On the other hand they are only words at the end of the day and if I blurt out "Sachegg you shite headed, bottomless pile of poop.." People are still going to understand what I'm trying to say.. So the could still be offended no matter what changed are made.

Also i've seen some people suggest that certain words could be unblocked in PM's and group chats.. Even with a simgle /group PG command to turn on or off the filter? God knows how all that works but still :p

Just my thoughts, I could be onto something or I coould just sound like an arse, Enjoy your new year all!
  4. Mumble is a different entity because you aren't typing, you are talking and slip ups may occur. We understand that. Those changes are still being finalized.
  5. And if you said that, you would get in trouble for insults.

The chat filter applies to all chat. Why allow it in one place, but not in others? That's the type of setup that leads to people being confused. You don't NEED to curse in a PM either, so we won't be adding extra code so that you can.

The less time staff to have to pull PM logs when players report each other for that one curse in a PM, the more time they get to spend creating fun things. Once again, this isn't about younger players. Players your same age don't enjoy curse words. There is no need for curse words. These are the same rules we had further back, but we added a filter to help enforce, just like we added a filter for CAPS abuse. Same rules, more automation.
    UltiPig, Sgt_Pepper4 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  6. Pre-script Note: I'm not asking to change it back and the auto-filter eliminates my only worry over the rule change (I forget to turn on push-to-talk and accidentally say "Oh S**t!" when a creeper sneaks up on me). I am in fact happy about this if for no other reason then it might make EMC voice chat slightly more pleasant.

I was not aware "hell" was even in the running as profanity. Don't get me wrong I know people who consider those swear words but only as religious thing and to be frank if those end up on the banned word list were going to have to add "Holy cow" and "Witch" to the list as well.
    That being said I would like to point out that "Family Friendly" is even more subjective then "PG" (for instance my family considered "damn" to be a vary bad word but not ass).

I would love to have a more civilized chat but I'm feeling a bit cynical about how much this is going to accomplish. I don't think banning these words is going to elevate voice chat into anything resembling civilized conversation and I think it will only make it slightly more pleasant. The problem is intent and if someone is set on being hurtful or going after someone they are going to manege just fine without saying an expletive and it's still going to be hard to prove to the point where someone can do something about it.

Frankly I kind of wish we could have a Mature/pg-16 channel again, not so much so we could swear but so we could have a channel just for older players.

It does in fact take more then self control to consciously alter your active vocabulary especially if the word your trying to avoid is not considered a swearing by your family, work, &/or social group but as long as we have push-to-talk theirs no real excuse there.
    ---------------------------
    To lighten the mood of this thread a bit:

7. But doesnt getting into trouble for joking around with friends seem a little silly? I don't want to cause an argument from what I said as all we are doing is sharing our opinions.

I also know that no one needs to curse.. but some people do curse.. just like SOME people run red lights.. and SOME people like jam ontheir toast instead of butter... don't you think that it would be nice to find an inbetween? Once again only my opinions, I know some people will disagree with them but hey :p
  8. If someone reports and staff are pulled in, it's no longer a joke.

Some people like to run red lights, but it's still against the rules. And if a cop is there, you don't. We're adding robot cops at every intersection.
  9. Hm... I suppose it's true. Most people will probably almost never have to swear, even in a private message.
    Hm... I am wondering, could you use some asterisks to get around it? That'd be nice, for the cases where you do need to use swear words. (and have the other understand which word you're getting at)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. Although true there also exists something as false reports, which have also been quite an issue if my memory serves me right. It's where the "if you see people attempting to break your blocks, don't report it!" comes from I'd assume.

Just because people report something doesn't automatically imply that their report was valid. So should I now wonder if this rule was applied to reduce the amount of false reports? Because then I can't help worry (as already mentioned) that you're fighting a symptom while ignoring the actual cause.

Don't get me wrong: I know some people got upset over this, I've seen that happen quite a few times myself. But I also often noticed that some of those upset people ended up causing more drama over it than the person who initially said the "naughty word" in the first place. Which leads up to my theory above, I can easily see how some would have reported such mistakes even though there wasn't really any issue at all.

The only thing which worries me is what will be the next hot thing which will get players upset. The more you regulate, the more enforced some things become and in some cases that can lead to sheer annoyance in itself.

Yesterday I briefly tried to explain to a new player how http://emc.gs/ and http://empireminecraft.com ended up on the same website (I'm a pretty fast typist). The result? 2 URL's in one sentence gets automatically blocked it seems. Highly annoying, I ended up "spamming" the chat by using both URL's in 2 sentences shortly after another to help explain.

But trust me: next time I won't even bother anymore because it's only annoying having to deal with seeing legit sentences getting blocked like that.

That is the risk of this whole filtering thingie. Because it'll block your sentence but won't tell you why. Some people will most definitely simply give up and move on. Possibly resulting in even more quiet chat periods (which is what I'm predicting is going to happen in several months time).
  11. I'dk about the url blocks. That's Aikars department. False reports are not punished for unless it's obvious abuse. The 'don't report' is a deterrent. A report does not mean action. A report means that staff looks into it and determines if action is required.

The filter helps remove the possibility for public drama over 'is it allowed to say that?'. I will repeat that this is NOT a new regulation, just a new automation. This is a reversal back to how it used to be. Any players that honestly want to get upset and argue over regulation because they can't curse any more: get over it and find something else to complain about. You're wasting your and my time.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. I didn't realize there would be so much backlash against this rule lol. I mean, it doesn't bother me either way, but I can see enforcing this since it is a family friendly server. People don't need to cuss. I'm sure everyone has been in a situation where they knew better than to cuss, like in front of your grandma or at church, etc. It isn't that difficult and there are so many other words you could use that don't offend anyone.
    ESSELEM, _Bunni__ and Krysyy like this.
  13. I don't want to start drama here, but I do want to raise a point. Some words were allowed for years and now they are banned. That is fine, but shouldn't there be some leniency on accidents for at least a week or two? Allowing people to do something for years and then telling them to stop all of a sudden isn't exactly fair. At least give them a few days to adjust to the new rules.
  14. Why? If a message gets blocked, they can simply rewrite it differently. No harm done but a little loss of time.
    crystaldragon13 and ShelLuser like this.
  15. There is, unless you admit directly in the line before you say something that isn't allowed. Besides, there are chat filters in place that help this along. Nice try at an excuse, now take it to a pm with me if you wish to appeal.
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  16. Wasn't an excuse, just a question. I'll take my unfair mute.

17. MEEEEOW *HISS*
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  18. You just admitted they aren't curse words.
    UltiPig likes this.
  19. I believe A Christmas Carol (2009) used these words.

....it also used ass, but hey...
    Zrugite, Vortixin and _Bunni__ like this.
  20. Shrek, Cars :rolleyes:
  21. Except they are Family Friendly. My point exactly. They aren't curse words, but they get your point across.
    Acemox2k and Slvr like this.