[RULES] Update to Chat Limits

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Shit and ass are barely even swear words though? event though the filter is used on them, could it be turned off for pm's and group chat. I talk with people i know personally using those words on a regular basis in a non offensive way, and it will be extremely frustrating to have to spend 20 seconds to retype every message I send because of a stupid "ass" filter.
  2. Could we maybe have a chat/server for more mature language? I love the idea for younger players but I don't think it seems fair to the older ones that don't mean to swear but do. Hopefully this is taken into a consideration :)
    Vortixin, _Bunni__, Dektirok and 2 others like this.
  3. Wait! So I can't refer to my mule as an ass any more? But that's what it is :rolleyes:
  4. Can I still say 'Take Off Eh!'?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  5. They are enough of a swearing issue that our players are offended. We didn't allow them in the past, so we're merely reverting a change we made. If you can't learn to communicate without cursing, then you should look at your language use in general. There is never a reason to need to use profanity and it prevents issues with wrong chat slip ups.
    You don't need to curse. You can control yourself.
    You can call the mule a mule, as that's what Mojang calls it in the code itself. There is no need for calling it the other name, except to purposefully use that word which we have now disallowed.
    Exactly. This ^ is the type of communication that is perfectly fine to have for a server, and doesn't expose players that don't care for profanity to any foul mouths. My favorite that I used recently was 'oh fluffernuggets'. It's fun to say and get the point across, without profanity.

Listen guys/gals, there is not a reasonable explanation for why you NEED to curse on this server. You are more than capable of finding a family friendly alternative for anything you can think of. Learn some self-control. It's not hard.
    TuckerAmbr, UltiPig, Slvr and 4 others like this.
  6. *insert prohibited profanity here*
    _Bunni__ and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. Another thing a mom would say :3 You really are good at making your points come across as "no brainer".
    _Bunni__ and Equinox_Boss like this.
  8. I have noticed before that these words are blocked in pms on the server, too. I think they shouldn't be.
    It can get in ones way, and swearing shouldn't be an issue in pms, as if somebody swears which you don't appreciate in a pm, you should tell them and they should not do it anymore.
    Really? Have you got an example of a movie for both? And I mean a child-friendly one, so no Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Zrugite, _Bunni__ and Equinox_Boss like this.
  9. If you want a good laugh play Town of Salem with their chat filter. You'll think everyone is savant in no time.
    Dufne likes this.
  10. The original, animated Sleeping Beauty:
    "Now shall you deal with me, O Prince! And all the powers of HELL!" /turns into terrifying black dragon
    -Maleficent

Tron Legacy:
    "damn it" (not certain where, pulled from IMDB)

Apparently "damn" is also used twice in Oz the Great & Powerful, which is PG.
  11. Oh, yeah, I saw that one. That one was scary! Quite fun too, though.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. The real question is: When words like these are blocked from chat, are they also blocked from being used on signs?

Also, I agree with blocking sh*t but blocking ass is a bit much. Why? Due to its long time use regarding mules, I feel blocking this may be overkill. Heck, if you want to go all the way, then block words like "Fugly", it's not technically a curse word but a conjunction of one.

.....where does this censorship madness end?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. oh I know.....let's ban the following too:

- The common nickname for Richard
    - Religious holidays (since most religions have a history of violence, very non PG here)
    - "Zombie", they prefer to be called the living impaired
    - Any word related to sexuality (any words used for this leads to talks about coitus)
    - The alternate name for rooster
    - The word "fat", since people are obese more often than not now a days

Given enough time, the list can get very long. I hope you see my point by now.
  14. That issue is actually known by a name: The Scunthorpe Problem
  15. Um, I might be able to see your point, but I think you're not defending it well. This seems like pure satire.
  16. I like the motivation behind it, but I can't help fear that this will end up having the opposite effects.

It's a classic approach made by many politicians as well: instead of dealing with the people who cause trouble you simply ban the whole thing all together. In my opinion also known as the easier way out. And the people who this concerns are still there and will now simply find other (sometimes worse) ways to get their frustrations across.

Not looking for discussions here but that's my opinion. We'll see soon enough in about 6 - 8 months :)
    M4ster_M1ner, Zrugite, 00void and 2 others like this.
  17. this is great! I'm glad that you have stepped up on profanity rules. it's just uncool to curse.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  18. Going to be completely no-nonsense and direct here:
    You don't NEED to curse. Stop complaining about it, because it's not changing back. We TRIED giving more leeway, to be used only in small amounts. It didn't work. Players (not just young ones) were upset and we analyzed why anyone would NEED to curse. You don't, plain and simple.

If I sound totalitarian about this, I am. So you can't curse anymore and you'll have to behave in a civilized manner? Yeah. Welcome to the real world. It's time to grow up.
  19. You rang?
    Kephras, TomvanWijnen, Dufne and 5 others like this.