[RULES] Update to Chat Limits

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Dec 29, 2016.

1. This is all my opinion- I am sorry if it offends you

Honestly I don't understand all the backlash, drama and problems caused by this change. This change really isn't a big deal- which may anger some of you but honestly deal with it. Krysyy has made it more than clear there will not be a separate chat channel and that the words now muted will not be unmuted. Personally, I don't curse, so if you need some words that can be used in place of the two that are no longer allowed (two words I don't hear often on emc anyways) please feel free to PM me and I will give u a list :p there is NO NEED for drama- nothing is going to change. The sooner you accept this, the easier it will be for you to make the change :) none of this is a big deal, so kindly grow up.
    Dragonritz, _Devil__ and Vortixin like this.
  2. Just drop it. No need to start this.
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  3. As a player with young children on EMC, I think this is a fantastic change. This is one of the big reasons I like EMC so much, because I can feel safe to let my children play here. (That & the fact that I'm addicted & play more than they do now:oops:)
  4. Maybe you could put that into the 2016 survey :) but do understand that Krysyy and Aikar have plans for this server and if Krysyy thinks that a suggestion is not needed then that is her decision :)
    Sealeon likes this.
  5. I don't see why everyone has such an issue with this. Using family-friendly words isn't that difficult, and honestly makes for a more humorous environment for all involved - there's less miscommunication. If someone yells, "damn it," it can be a little difficult, especially in town chat and if you don't know the player, to know if they're genuinely or deeply angry or if that's just how they talk. "Dang it," is a softer alternative, which may not turn off younger players from responding. I've seen how young children cringe when adults curse loudly in person (and have experienced said cringing as well). It's not necessarily the word itself, but the implications and the gauged "severity." The more severe the word, the more severe the tone of the player is taken, and therefore that affects how players take it in.

While this isn't necessarily the fault of the players, here is another example. An overzealous parent has gotten into Minecraft with their child, and hardly knows anything. They're recommended to try EMC because of its very family-friendly atmosphere. Someone says "wtf" or "shit" in a sentence in town chat. Suddenly, that parent feels the server is unfit for use by their child and now that child cannot enjoy EMC anymore because their parent disagrees with word usage. While this isn't the fault of the players themselves, this can hurt EMC's player base. Perhaps not by a ton, but it does help in pulling in younger and, honestly, kinder players.

To go off my last point: while using vulgar expressions doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, as someone that has played on other less kindly servers, they are filled to the brim with expressions and variations of these newly blocked words. Honestly, some words that weren't blocked to begin with have me shocked (I actually think I'll PM Krysyy about some of these and see if they all are blocked now, because I don't feel comfortable listing them here at all - feel free to PM me if you're that nosy though :p). I also was present for an event in which an eleven-year-old player was exposed to words borderlining sexual harassment. My point is, bad, reactive, and malicious players use these words. A lot. For hurting or making others uncomfortable. It's an easy preventative to block the words altogether. Someone that intentionally bypasses chat filter to say them can then be easily spotted, muted, or eventually banned if they continually bypass the filter.

Linguistically, "dang," "heck," "crap," etc, are all kinder variations of the words. These are words TV shows use. SpongeBob SquarePants and Disney shows use these. They can be humorous, and even if they do mean the same thing, they are not of the same level of severity as their counterparts (see my first paragraph). The severity appears to be much lower, and therefore makes discussion more likely and can make younger players less intimidated. For example, Kephras's "Fluff," comment earlier was funny. It gets the point across of the player being annoyed, but at the same time, they aren't creating an uneasy environment by the statement. The severity of the word is lower.

While to me all words are just words, I do agree that there's simply an inherent severity to different words, and that certain words SHOULD be blocked on a server such as EMC.
    Acemox2k and _Bunni__ like this.
  6. The problem is stated here. Intent. If someone wants to swear they can substitute a word but we know what they meant an it remains the same. I personally had some one call me a name that I did not like. I reported it to staff and I was the one over reacting because the name I was called was in no way bad. The name bothered me at that moment enough to report it and let my actions and the others actions be known and that I thought the name was uncalled for. End result I was told by staff that I overreacted because the name was nothing to get upset about.

The point is, I was upset by a name a player called me and reported it. Staff arrives and tells me I am wrong and overreacting. After a discussion it was mutually decided I would take a break from EMC. Who is to decide when a person is feeling offended by the actions of another. I was called something that upset me. It was decided I should not be upset and told that the other person probably did not mean it in a negative way. The other person was not queried for their opinion of the situation at that moment.

I share this true situation with no names and most of the facts (too many things to put down) involved. I do not share this to clobber or discredit anyone's actions but to possibly help show that I still feel wronged by this(no, I dont want a medal) and others may fall into this situation as well. Its so that this does not become a trend. Some players may abuse this situation. from what I have read in this thread I believe some people are looking to stretch this situation to the limit just for fun.

It is the mark of an intelligent individual who can express themselves without regressing to rudimentary forms of neolithic communication. Learn to express yourselves in new ways and broaden your horizons.
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  7. Do these rule apply to the forums too? Or are they strictly in-game only.?
  8. They refer to the forums as well, though there is no chat filter so we rely on reports more.
    padde73 likes this.
  9. 00void, 607, _Bunni__ and 1 other person like this.
  10. Didnt find another to say it... so we downgraded our profanity level?
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  11. Wow....outdated for sure. That page needs a MAJOR update anyways. I'll talk to Aikar once he's back from dealing with IRL things and we'll see what we can do going into the new year.
    607, Slvr, UltiPig and 1 other person like this.
  12. hmm well than...
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  13. Uh, in private conversations too? That really wouldn't work in one of mine... should we have to move to a different site or chatting program because of these regulations?
    I am of the opinion that on the site, in private conversations, it's the players' own responsibility to think about what they say, and remark if they feel offended themselves.
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  14. We rely on reports with forum limits. If the person that you are messaging doesn't report you and show us the forum pm, then there is no issue.
    607 and _Bunni__ like this.
  15. We have updated once more to add a very special case. We've discussed and the use of acronyms (such as lmao, or wtf) isn't harmful as long as you don't spell it out with a bad word, because it could represent a perfectly fine to say statement (such as "what the fluff"). We've made the changes the necessary pages.
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  16. I'm glad to see this, as players never seemed to believe me when I told them staff had told me acronyms were just as bad as the words. Nice to have confirmation on the rules regarding these, and also nice to see they're allowed...

Because making people not use them is, like, impossible. :p
    _Bunni__ likes this.
  17. lol I have been guilty of using them but never meaning what the really stand for. Like wth = what the heck; wtf = what the flup etc :p glad to see they are allowed :)
  18. No words are inherently bad. That's silly. Any words can be used in an insulting way, and any words can be used in an innocuous way. It all depends on intent and context.

- Sentence with a 'bad word' that shouldn't offend anyone: "****, I forgot to bring an ender chest."

- Sentence with only positive words that should offend the target: "I like everyone more than I like you."

This obsession with saying no to certain specific combinations of letters, while ignoring the actual content, is unfortunately pretty common practice in uptight society. I just hope that EMC isn't setting its rules for the wrong reasons.

----------
    I'm sorry, but that is just BS. (Bad Sense)
    TomvanWijnen, 00void, 607 and 4 others like this.
  19. I don't see what the issue is here and totally support the staff. I shouldn't have to worry about what my grandniece and grandnephews see.

Yes, it's great to have the freedom to express yourself and your rights but EMC is a game where young kids play. It needs to be usable and clean for all. As I was taught years (well actually decades) ago in high school..."Your rights end where the other person's rights begin."
    MajorHaze, UltiPig and _Bunni__ like this.
  20. Though I don't really care as this doesn't affect or bother me in slightest; why not implement a filter that is on by default? Whereas mature audiences/age appropriate people can turn it off if they wish?