let's talk about skyrim!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by batmegh, Nov 16, 2014.

1. yall should check out ESO, its all the fun of skyrim+ friends (if you got any)
    benthebobjr likes this.
  2. GF and I wrote it off during beta phase. I understand it's changed a lot since then, but I'm still extremely skeptical.
    -Are dungeons and caves fully instanced to you/your party, or are there still random yahoos dashing by, leaping all over, and camping the bosses?
    -Is it still PvP-centric, or have they minimized the influence and impact of central Cyrodil? (Can we completely avoid it without missing out on much of anything?)
    -Are you still faction-locked based on your starting race, or can you start from anywhere regardless of which race you pick? (Love Khajiits but the Dominion can kiss my stripey tail)
    -Does it still feel like an MMO?
    _Devil__ and 607 like this.
  3. i spent a decent amount of time last night playing with the commands to freeze world time / make the time of day fly by to get different lighting effects and take some flipping amazing photos of alduin!
    i am so so so pleased with how these look!

4. "He is made of hate and razor blades and does not cuddle well."
  5. batmegh encouraged posting here, so

I'll be getting Skyrim for the Switch very soon, and I'll be sure to post some screenshots and gameplay clips (if possible)

I have Skyrim for Xbox 360, but I haven't played in a long time, mostly due to the fact that my Xbox stopped working properly. I may continue to play that version if I ever replace the console, but I suppose there wouldn't be a point if I got it on the Switch.

I never had an inclination to mod Skyrim in the first place (although if I were to play on PC, I would most definitely implement some graphics mods), but unfortunately the Switch will not support modding. I can get over that though -- Amiibo support, Joy-Con motion control support, PORTABLE SKYRIM -- that's good enough for me.

I wasn't able to get into Skyrim before because of the slow loading and constant glitching -- not to mention I had to sit down in the living room and play, so often my time was limited. But with the Switch edition, I can easily play whenever and wherever I want without disturbing others. Because the game will be on a cartridge, rather than a disc, it'll have much faster loading times, and far less glitches.

I'll (allegedly) have access to all DLC content, and while there won't be mod support, it's based off the Special Edition.

Sorry for the long post that reintroduces this thread. Can't wait to jump back into the world of Skyrim and share pictures and such.
    607, benthebobjr and batmegh like this.
  6. We should keep this thread lively since its bound to be a very long time before we get The Elder Scrolls VI :(
    batmegh and ILTG like this.
  7. Hello.

This is my journal. My name is Plays-With-Tail. I was born in Skyrim, the child of two Argonian dock workers (they died in a tragic accident I caused after playing with a spell and a really big fish), and thus did not receive a Black Marsh name. While growing up, I would play with my tail when I was nervous, and thus received that name. I do not like it.

I moved away from Skyrim, having crept away from the dock, at the ripe age of seventeen. I was sick of working as a slave and my master referring to me as 'spike boy', so I stabbed his pet fish in the head with my face spikes and left it on the end of his bed as a warning. Then, I hid in the back of a visiting carriage and it took me far, far away. A lot further than I actually intended to. I planned to go to Black Marsh, but I had ended up in Elseweyr with the weird cat people and then travelled North into Cyrodiil by mistake, and then I spent a few years wandering the Imperial Empire - admittedly, in circles, by mistake - before I realised I left my teddy bear at the dock. I used the last of my coin to return to my birthplace and retrieve my cuddly bundle of joy, but the carriage driver kicked me out after I asked him 'are we there yet?' for the several-hundredth time.

All was not lost, however, as I was able to walk there. Too bad for me, there were some Stormcloaks fighting some Imperial soldiers on the road. I ran and hid in a bush, planning to let them fight it out. When the Stormcloaks were dead, the Imperials started to walk away, but I sneezed; quite loudly. They ran back and arrested me - it was quite hard to proclaim my innocence after I tried to run, tail-whipped one in the face, bit the other on the pinky finger, and had just been caught hiding. The idiots punched me in the back of the head so hard they knocked me out cold for multiple hours. When I awoke, I was on a carriage, sitting next to Ulfric Stormcloak. I didn't know I was such a famous criminal in Skyrim for my escape years earlier (my new friend Hadvar insists this is not the case and I was just put on the same carriage because we were caught crossing the same border 'illegally', but I know he is just trying to keep me humble!), but I was quite proud. That being said, I don't know who the other two guys were, but one is dead now and the other I will probably never see again, so I don't care. I drew a picture of the moment!

I soon realised, however, that this meant I was also probably being sentenced to my death. A nice man, who introduced himself to me as Hadvar (the new friend I talked about!) later on (we shall talk about that in a moment), tried to talk this woman in fancy armour out of sentencing me to death. She didn't listen and said I had to be executed anyway. She was mean. After they shot the weird guy who was in my sketch with arrows and beheaded one of the Stormcloak soldiers (I vomited), she said she wanted to kill me next. I didn't move. Then she called me a lizard. I moved, hoping to choke her to death with my bounds before they killed me for calling me that, but I forgot what I was doing momentarily and walked straight to the block. Before I knew it, she'd pushed me down onto it with her boot. I braced for death, shedding a tear for my forever lost teddy bear, but something amazing happened. Something so amazing, I had to start a journal to talk about it!

A DRAGON SHOWED UP! AND HE SAVED MY LIFE! I didn't know the dragons loved me so much. Maybe my teddy bear did some networking? I don't know, but I'm grateful that this dragon razed an entire town to the ground and killed a lot of innocent people to save me! I also sketched the moment it landed on the tower and killed the executioner.

I escaped to a nearby tower with the Stormcloak dude who was on the carriage with me, and then I ran away from him through a hole at the top of it. I had to remember these people are the reason I was arrested and obstructed from seeing my beloved teddy bear ever again. The fall hurt my knees, but I was safe, and I found Hadvar again. After I watched the dragon torch the already deceased corpse of some random guy (I guess it really hated him?), me and Hadvar escaped into the dungeons. He undid my bounds and I got dressed into some armour and grabbed a nearby sword.

The dungeons were crawling with Stormcloak filth. In one room, I heard them discussing running away and how scared they were and how they needed all the help they could get. Hadvar told me not to, but I raised my sword and charged in, stabbing and killing them both as a pre-emptive measure. It looked like this.

The room was full of potions and alcohols. I took everything, as after this, I was going to need to down every drink I could get my hands on. Even a dragon makes the very humble Plays-With-Tail feel panic and fear.

We worked our way through the dungeon, and I killed a bear. I'm such a badass!

I'm now laying in a bed in Riverwood, and I'm tired, so I should stop sketching and writing and get some beauty sleep. I have a big day tomorrow - I'm going to meet with Jarl Balgruuf of Whiterun. I've heard he's a baller, with the best rapping skills in all of the Imperial Empire. I can't wait. I'm also going to be so hungover when I do it. That's it for now, journal. See you soon. Goodnight. xx
  8. If you're starting to play this game for the first time, (wo)man, I envy you... there is soooo much RPG fun that you will go through...:)
    ILTG and batmegh like this.
  9. Can confirm, I wish I could discover all the secrets of this world all over again. Obviously I haven't done everything, but I've done a lot in the five years I've been playing this game - probably more than sixty percent of what there is to do. I just wanna see a herd of mammoths walking through a field again as an aurora shines above for the first time, man.

Funnily enough, still haven't beaten the main questline. Never quite recovered from that one time I put 50 hours into my save, got to Sovngarde to fight Alduin, left as he flew down towards me for the final fight because I had to go to a restaurant with my family, then saved over that (my only save with that character for some reason I don't remember) the following morning with my new game.
    ILTG, TheBidule and 607 like this.
  10. auuugh... that must have shafe...
    I particularly like Solstheim, and Apocrypha. Maybe because it reminds me of Morrowind...:rolleyes:
    ILTG likes this.

11. As you can see, I have literally wasted 1082 hours of my life on this game.

I spend most of my adventuring collecting tusks and skulls and dropping them individually in Breezehome (poor Lydia).

There's also lots to admire about the scenery, it makes the photographer in me tingle.

My characters are always cute, too

And what's not to love about this game when stuff like this happens?

Honestly, best game ever.
    ILTG, TheBidule and batmegh like this.
  12. If all of those hours were a waste, how come you kept on playing??
    ILTG and batmegh like this.
  13. Cause I had nothing else better to do
    ShelLuser and ILTG like this.
  14. best.quote.ever.
    couldn't miss it :D Now, in latin, pleeeaaaase?

Life is strange and beautiful, and these games are portals, means to travel far away from the here and there and taste it all. Live it all.
    I'm at about the same number of priceless hours of walking up and down the magnificient strangeness of the cold mountains of the north, going back and forth between Solstheim and Skyrim, living the life of a rough mountaineer, of a proud orc, of a wandering Kahjiit...
    And that's not talking about how much I lived in Cyrodiil, strolling the sunny plains or the marshy forests, searching for the last chapels to the gods...
    And that's not talking about how much I slumbered along in the ashy volcanic plains of Vvardenfell, uniting dunmer Ashlanders, under the shadow of Red Mountain...

So many lives in so little time! So many other games too, and yet more to come!
    607 and ILTG like this.
  15. This isn't Skyrim, but...

It's in pre-production and planned to release after Bethesda's other game, 'Starfield'. We've probably got another 3-5 year wait (making the gap between Skyrim and whatever this one is a decade long), but hey, at least we've got a free-to-play spiritual successor to Elder Scrolls Arena to tide us over coming out this year:
    ShelLuser, Codygraw, 607 and 4 others like this.
  16. Okay then, that's interesting, thanks for sharing! I'll check out the trailer. :)
    batmegh likes this.
  17. How much did you enjoy that 32 second long clip of a pan-over on a landscape that nobody knows the location of yet and probably won't for another 12-24 months? :p
    607 and Krysyy like this.
  18. a freaking lot
  19. #hype :D
    AltPunisher and batmegh like this.
  20. What if they finally moved to the other continents, not Tamriel? Like Akavir or Atmora?