1.13 is coming!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 25, 2017.

1. The only thing I like about 1.13 is the turtles
    makes me happy
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. Yeah, a lot of bugs surfaced with 1.13 but on the other hand I also think Mojang deserves a fair bit of praise too because one way or the other they're not merely concentrating on recent bugs but have slashed dozens of older and annoying stuff as well. I truly believe that they're giving it their best to make 1.13 the update people will be talking about.

Heck, I heard rumors that they're even going to address a long time spawner bug which prevented custom mob spawners from working properly (after one spawn the block would revert back to its default to start spawning pigs again).

Something which has somewhat annoyed me because although it's not that hard to use a command block (or function!) to set something like this up it's actually harder too. I mean... trying to spawn mobs in a random fashion? Good luck to you! :p The other argument for spawners is that they're a natural phenomenon and thus will take up less resources than a whole commandblock construction (though marginally). But with largers builds....

Anyway, if my sources are correct we'll soon get yet another snapshot and then we're nearing 1.13.1.
    Impulsive_Egg, ForeverMaster and 607 like this.
  3. I cant wait to use soul sand water elevators in my underground base! And water finally fills stair and slab blocks! FINALLY!
  4. does it do the same for fences too?
  5. yes
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  6. 1.13 & leaves + redstone?

Well, the updates keep coming in and I have to say that I really get the feeling that Mojang is trying very hard to make this game better than it already was. With the latest update you can now even search through your worlds:

Anyway, due to the extreme hot weather we're having I haven't spend much time behind the PC, let alone spend time on hobby projects, so now that the weekend is starting I was skimming through my 'minecraft wiki mailbox' and noticed some reported changes on the leaf block page:

At first this made little sense to me; leaves are opaque blocks and - per definition - those cannot hold any redstone charges. Was this a misplaced bug? (it has happened before where one of the wiki authors discovered a cool change which later on turned out to be a bug :D).

Well... that doesn't seem to be the case:

Leave blocks now track their distance towards a wood block. Doesn't matter what type: log, stripped log, wood ('bark block') or stripped wood. The range can have a value from 1 up to 7, though it should be noted that this trick only works up to 6 blocks away.

Now... maybe you're already familiar with the observer block, but for those who aren't: the observer block, which got added in Minecraft 1.11, acts as a so called BUD switch. In other words: a Block Update Detector, meaning so much that when the state of a block changes then the observer will send a redstone pulse.

So what is a block state? Good question!

It could be something obvious. For example: in the screenshot above I have a few redstone lamps. A lamp can be on or off. A lit redstone lamp isn't a different block or anything: it's the same block yet with a different state: lit. When a lamp turns on or off it changes its state and the observer can detect that.

Leaves now have something similar: they can detect their distance towards a log block and will change their state accordingly. And that can be detected by an observer:

Here I placed a stripped wood block and as you can see the lamp suddenly lits up. That's because the wooden block got detected by the leaf block, it updated its state accordingly and that got detected by the observer again.

Why would you want to use this?

Honestly? I don't think you want to.

See, although this is a very interesting change in behavior the main aspect to consider here is timing. Yet the thing is: there really isn't that much difference between a leaf block changing its state or a redstone dust changing its state, other than the distance: redstone dust can be used up to 15 blocks whereas leaves will only detect a wood block up to 6 blocks away.

Of course one major advantage which this mechanic has over redstone dust is that it doesn't matter how you place the leafs. This works both horizontally and vertically. And that's an area where redstone is a bit lacking. It's relatively easy to make a "redstone elevator" using torches (= slow timing) or slabs + redstone dust but both have one major caveat: the signal only goes up. Not down.

Yet that's also why I think this concept won't be used too often because there's a lot more involved than simply placing a few leafs and an observer.

See: for this to work you'll have to move a wooden block around. If you want to trigger that with redstone you'd be looking at a piston. Another issue is that although the "signal" has no problem moving downwards, at the end all you're getting is one single redstone pulse from the observer.

So what if you have a constant redstone signal (on/off) which you want to transport downwards?

Then you'd also be looking at having to build a toggle switch of some sort.

And then we're getting into the gray zone. Because riddle me this: what would be more efficient on your resources (blocks but also building space):
    • An 'easy' leaf powered redstone elevator.
      • Requires a piston + wood block on top, needs a toggle switch at the bottom and it only works for a maximum of 6 blocks. If you want to extend more you'd need an observer + piston + wood block (making it impossible to extend for, say, only 2 - 3 blocks).
    • Using several blocks in a 'stair pattern'.
      • Requires one regular block for every level + redstone dust on top. You'll need a 4x4 area to make the downward elevator. The elevator can go for a maximum of 15 blocks (assuming we start with a full redstone signal) and can have any length you want. If you want to extend you'd need a repeater + a block to charge, then you can go for another 15 blocks.
    Like I said: it is an interesting mechanic but I really don't see this taking off as a regular redstone mechanic. Only if specific timing is required then this can be useful, but that doesn't happen all that often.
    SkeleTin007, 607 and TuckerAmbr like this.
  7. REDSTONE IS SO CONFUSING
    SkeleTin007, ShelLuser and Sydney4363 like this.
  8. agreed
    FadedMartian and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  9. New Snapchot Today! 18w31a
    Features:
    • Optimized performance
    • Fish now have a 5% chance of dropping bonemeal when killed
    • Conduits are properly waterlogged
    • Bonemeal used in water now has a chance to grow coral in warm ocean biomes
    • Squids now only spawn in rivers and oceans
    • Added a concept of force-loaded chunks to the game, and a command (/chunk) to toggle force-loading on and off
    Im Really exited for the ones in orange =D Awesome!

Bug Fixes:

• MC-73 - Green arrow bug on maps in frames
    • MC-1528 - Maps in item frames' markers aren't persistent
    • MC-112801 - Players on the death screen still cause spawners to spawn.
    • MC-122939 - Statistics for mining banners and beds never increase
    • MC-128547 - Minecraft keeps previously used World in memory if the player has hit any entity in that world
    • MC-130258 - Maps in item frames show shading problems
    • MC-133181 - Observer Cooldown is broken
    • MC-134105 - Can't return from the end after defeating dragon
    • MC-134159 - Saved world causes crash in 1.13
    • MC-134667 - Async Chunk Gen dangerously adding entities to world async
    • MC-134716 - Minecraft Multiplayer – Player kick exploit
    • MC-134832 - TNT with unstable=true blockstate is ignited instead of broken in creative mode
    • MC-134889 - Iron golems spawn in air blocks
    • MC-134898 - Pressing Escape no longer returns to main menu from singleplayer menu
    • MC-134916 - Sound event block.pumpkin.carve doesn't play when carving normal pumpkins
    • MC-134967 - NullPointerException when placing Wither Skeleton Skulls
    • MC-134982 - Exception when placing a command block
    • MC-134987 - Renaming a world doesn't update its name until re-entering the world list
    • MC-134988 - Optimizing a world doesn't update it until re-entering the world list
    • MC-135049 - Old world doesn't save map markers in 1.13
    • MC-135053 - Sticky pistons get stuck when receiving a 0 gametick pulse
    • MC-135136 - Crash when placing a chain command block with set command
    • MC-135172 - Under certain conditions pistons can't be powered for the first 2 gameticks after being moved
    • MC-135185 - All redstone components can become stuck in a powered state when indirectly unpowered
    • MC-135186 - Pistons can only be re-pulsed 5 or more gameticks later.
    • MC-135194 - Pistons react 1 gametick too late
    • MC-135261 - /setblock for player heads don't show the texture after the placement
    ShelLuser, 607, __Devil_ and 3 others like this.
  10. Wait, how is there already a snapshot when 1.13 was just released?
  11. Thanks for the update, Tuq! :)

lol rip many people's squid farm. :p
  12. Snapshots for 1.13.1 (or whatever 1.13.X they'll make). :)
    607 and FadedMartian like this.
  13. I'm just irritated for the change of water mechanics-- Sure it has some positives that come with this particular part of the update, but it will break iron and gold farms-- and when I have 6 gold farms and 4 iron farms, it's not going to be fun to update them all...:mad:
    Impulsive_Egg likes this.
  14. They missed a bug fix :p 2 of my developer oriented tickets were fixed but only 1 of them listed here
    Edit: it was in previous snapshot I guesss

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-134667
    https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-134668
  15. Uhm i don't know if anyone pointed this out other than me a bit.... I use a hotkey (m) because my right click is broken...
    I can throw a stack of bottles of XP in 4 seconds.
    Macros? NOPE. I don't know how to use macros.... Building's become a pain.... Just a headsup for you devs and staff.
  16. Awh why they gotta jack up the squid spawn like that? I hunt squid in swamps between nights when I'm trying to get slime balls
  17. One thing which I think is somewhat funny is that Mojang is definitely showing a little bit of "Microsoftness" with their current release cycle ;)

See; back in the day (prior to Windows 8) my company was a (small!) Microsoft reseller and we did decently well. Around 8 - 12% of our revenue was made thanks to Microsoft related sales which was a good time. However, one thing we always advised our customers: don't buy into a new Microsoft product release right away, give it a few weeks (if not a few months) to settle and proof itself, then decide on upgrading. Because, with all due respect to Microsoft (no sarcasm intended) their first releases were always a bit "so so".

So here we are... Minecraft 1.13 has been released, 1.13.1 is on the horizon and shortly after the 1.13 release it became pretty obvious that it might be a good idea to postpone a 1.13 upgrade and wait for 1.13.1 :p

It's still going to be exciting though: I especially like the upcoming /chunk command; this will allow admins to set up 'chunks' so that they'll always remain loaded in memory (in other words: you can manually create (or remove) so called "spawn chunks" besides the one already present at world spawn).
    TomvanWijnen, SkeleTin007 and 607 like this.
  18. Ugh. Instead of being marginally functional my old build will become obsolete. Back to the drawing board.
    SkeleTin007 and 607 like this.
  19. I hope Mojang gets their crap together and fixes the massive performance issues in 1.13...

I still believe they should have broke this massive update up over the span of 1.13 and 1.14...
  20. Well, 1.13.1 is definitely on the horizon now. I was going to start this post commenting on 18w33a, but having just started the launcher I noticed that 1.13.1-pre1 has been officially released. Speaking of which.. there are some very good reasons NOT to upgrade a public server to 1.13 and instead wait for 1.13.1 to arrive, because... well... Issue MC-136031. Don't be alarmed if you can't access the page; the issue is marked private which often means that we're dealing with an exploitable and/or more seriously damaging bug.

The spawners have been fixed!

I still need to do more experimenting but as I suspected Mojang has definitely worked on this issue during the 1.13 run (maybe sooner, can't be sure there). Not only have the blocks been renamed from mob_spawner to spawner, they're also back to work (as you can see above: this one spawned cows with some very specific traits).

In case you're curious about the command:

Code:
    /give @p minecraft:spawner{BlockEntityTag:{SpawnPotentials:[{Entity:{id:"minecraft:cow",CustomName:"{\"text\":\"EnderCow\"}",CustomNameVisible:1b,Glowing:1b,Silent:1b},Weight:1}]}}

Please note that this code still has a small flaw: when placed the mob spawner will spawn in a few pigs first, then it'll switch to the EnderCow. I believe this can also be customized but I have yet to test that (in case you're wondering: SpawnPotentials:[] vs. SpawnData:{}).

What do Minecraft & FreeBSD have in common? Very little you say? You'd be right, this is just my take on it: when working with both environments (which I both seriously enjoy!) I heavily prefer to stick with vanilla features. Although you can export buildings using MCEdit or the Schematica mod I actually prefer using structure blocks. Although tools such as nbtexplorer or MCEdit are extremely useful for map builders / Minecraft scripters I now fully rely on /data (this is such an immensely powerful & useful command.. it's mind blowing), and of course: when it comes to spawning in custom mobs I prefer using a mob spawner instead of a command block structure. Other than it being a vanilla feature: just try to spawn mobs into a random location within a 30 block radius using command blocks. It is doable ('sorta'), but I think you'll be in for a lot of unneeded issues (and pain!) which can be easily solved with a simple, yet customized, spawner.

Force load!

Are you familiar with the concept of spawn chunks? In short: spawn chunks (located at the world spawn point, use a compass to find it) are areas of 16x16 which are always loaded in memory. If you have any (redstone?) contraptions which you want to remain active at all times (even without players present) you'd place those at the so called spawn chunks.

Are the chunks in a difficult location? Not to worry: /setworldspawn is just one command away. Of course this does come with a drawback: if you're working on a public server or a specific map then rest assured that all the newbies are also going to be spawning in at that same location. And if you're afraid of "hackers" (cheaters?), best of luck to you. Everyone who is somewhat familiar with this stuff knows about spawn chunks, so if they want to find routines which are always active: they'll use their compass.

.... until 1.13.1 ruined it for them :D

We now have the /forceload command which can tell Minecraft to always keep the chunk you're in into active memory. In other words: if you have a redstone contraption here or maybe a repeating command block which you need to remain active at all times... /forceload add ~ ~ is your solution.

This allows you to add, remove and query (the previous /chunk command couldn't do that, super inefficient) the chunk you're in. Which means that if you're making a gamemap then 'hackers' (ok: cheaters?) won't be able to find your always running routines all too easily anymore :cool:

I think it's funny that no one of my fellow Minecraft wiki editors seems to have noticed the addition of the query command yet. And I just got ninja'd :D

In other news...

We now also have dead coral. Not just blocks, but also the fans. Which I think makes sense.

A dead coral fan placed on top of a command block...

In a previous post (too lazy to look it up, sorry) I commented on how I "protected" a command block under water by placing a slab above it, and then setting it to 'waterlogged'. This added a layer of water below the slab which in its turn prevented you from opening the command block. Well, that turned out to be a bug which has been fixed.

You no longer fall out of the world when spawned inside a block!

On my snapshot server I actually build an "admin room" which is basically a bedrock coated room with a more decorative design inside. In the middle (2,12,2 - 3,12,3) I placed a small 'altar' which can be used to teleport to. 3,13,3 is a very easy coordinate to remember. The only problem: I'd sometimes get teleported somewhere inside the blocks due to some lag which often resulted in my dropping out of the world entirely and dying in the void. No more!

There are also plenty of fixes and small changes to the command block interface. The interpreter has been severely enhanced when it comes to command completion (existing feature) and the ability to more easily navigate through existing commands.

Tagging fluid blocks!

Datapacks allow you to do all sorts of cool stuff, amongst which 'tagging' blocks, functions and items. This allows you to group stuff together so that you can address those while using one property (the tag you defined). You can read more about datapacks here.

Although we already had a 'blocks' section this has now been enhanced by a 'fluids' section which is specifically meant to target ('tag') fluid blocks. Right now this is only water or lava, but it does make one wonder if we could be seeing more fluid blocks (or variants?) somewhere in the future.

And there you have it!

A prediction for 1.14... I think it becomes more likely that we'll eventually be getting the option to access multiple words using vanilla commands. Right now we can only access the overworld, nether and the End (all three basically consist of the same world) and I'm convinced that we'll be getting better support to access multiple words on a server.

Why? Yeah, sorry, that's all the time I have :)

Happy crafting in the mines you guys! :)
    __Devil_, 607 and SkeleTin007 like this.