1.13 is coming!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 25, 2017.

1. xGGirlx likes this.
  2. ------------
    Release date revealed on minecraft.net: Wednesday, July 18!

1.13 - The Update Aquatic, was planned to release back in May. It's been delayed since due to serious bugs, most notably with game performance and converting pre-1.13 worlds.

I was concerned when Technically Updated and the Update Aquatic were merged into 1.13. The intent was to get the latter out sooner, but this didn't work.

Minecraft 1.8 was the only major update released in 2014. It is one of the largest content updates in Minecraft history. But it was released in an unstable state, because Mojang created too many bugs from all the technical changes.

Minecraft 1.9 came out over a year after 1.8, and it too was very unstable when it first released. One of its big issues was with chunk loading.

Minecraft 1.13 will be releasing over a year since 1.12. Based on previous updates of similar scales: (release 1.8 and 1.9), I expect 1.13 will too launch unstable, performance-wise, and require at least 2 patches afterwards.

Now, I know refactoring old code is important. Often, it allows developers to implement features that were previously not possible, without ruining performance.

A lot of popular Minecraft suggestions haven't been implemented yet because the codebase isn't ready for them.

At this point, I am not sure how to go about this situation... Change is hard.
  3. I can image how difficult 1.13 would be to program and get up and running, what with the devs trying to entirely change the water physics and stuff
    change is hard
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  4. What Official Minecraft News? And Like i say, looks like its soon as all other versions have it now.
  5. Let's dive in!

1.13 draws closer and to be honest I keep getting more and more excited about it every new pre-release. Yes, it takes Mojang a long time ('Aquatic' has already hit the Bedrock edition, which is why you see the movie above) but I am in full support because, seriously, isn't this simply undeniable proof that Mojang take the Java edition very seriously?

And trust me when I say that many bugs are disappearing.

For example... Something I noticed myself: when a player gained too many recipes and/or advancements then trying to get their entity data would make you crash out on the server. So: /data get entity @p would make you crash out ("leave") the server. No more!

Also: they added JSON formatting to team descriptions! Remember my post earlier about team names behind player names? And how I noticed that you could only add text :)

Players suggested and Mojang responded! 8)

Now, I can't give you a good example yet because Aya isn't here yet but here's the next best thing:

Remember: you can use those descriptions as additions to player names in the chat and overview. Something which used to be only possible using mods!

I am honestly hyped for 1.13 and can't wait for it to become the new standard.

I'll also add a follow up post with some things I missed out on this week, but for now I need to get back online :)
    607 and __Devil_ like this.
  6. A late response, sorry, overlooked your post last weekend and Sunday evening I was out on the train to Friesland.

Let's get the command you commented on in here, but in an easier to read fashion:
    So why the backslashes ('\')? That is actually an excellent question in my opinion.

The answer is 'escaping'. See; some characters such as quotes come in pairs; you have an opening quote and an ending quote. You can see this in my example above, after the 'StoredEnchantments' section where I have several id's enclosed in quotes.

But there is a problem with the Name compoment: it requires strict JSON formatting. And strict means that you need to enclose your properties and their descriptions in quotes. So, for example: {"text":"My text here"}.

So here's the problem: the Name part within 'display:{}' expects a string. And strings need to be enclosed between quotes, it's mandatory (see also this link). As such: Name:"{}". However; didn't I just mention that strict JSON formatting also required quotes?

So what do you think would happen when you had a string like this:

Name:"{"text":"my text here"}"

See: the parser (the routine going over the text) would pick up: Name:"{". And some 'idiocy' behind it. Remember: opening quote and closing quote. It opened before the { and closed behind it.

This is why I used those backslashes. They serve as "escape", to tell the system: "ok, stop now; you need to treat the next character in a literal way". So it won't pick up on " as a closing quote but as a quote within the command.

Name:"{\"text\":\"Hello World!\"}"

If you took this command apart, something somewhat doable with the /data command in 1.13, and then extracted the 'content' section you'd get:

{"text":"Hello World!"}

... because the system would know those quotes were meant to picked up literally.

I hope this explained it :)
    607 likes this.
  7. For sure! :) In fact, I already went "Ooooh..." in one of the earlier paragraphs, when you were hinting at the reason but hadn't quite taken it apart yet. ;)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. In a neater way: this is also seen in coding... You can't do *in ruby*

puts "Sadie says "HI!""

you have to use a fancy little symbol thing that I've forgotten by now. think it's something like the \. JSON's just a bit simpler to explain that with :p
  9. Mojang changed the water mechanics again... 2 days before the official release... WHAT

most likely that ALL farms that use water to move mobs willl become useless or very inefficient. They dont longer push the mobs(any mob, player included) with the same force at the end of the water streams

https://youtu.be/Ix5eHh_omuY
    At 1:30 he showcases this change, and he keeps explaining it a phew minutes in
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. Assuming of course that this was an intentional change, it could be a bug.
  11. | MC-133421 |

This is an extremely controversial bug. Practically everyone despises this change to water. This is a show-stopper; delay 1.13 to fix this bug, is what I say.

- Also, in Pre-release 9:

* Game crashes if you enter the End.
    * Rivers may generate without water.
    * Water doesn't interact with entities.

UPDATE: Crossed-out bugs have been "fixed" in pre-release 10.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. There is definitely controversy surrounding pre9.

Do not try this snapshot unless you're willing to deal with problems (yes, I mean you random reader!). Just trying it out on a world which I last used with pre7 now results in my client crashing whenever I try to open this world. No warnings, no nothing: b00m.

I have backups, so no problems there, but.. it's not what it should be.

When trying the same on a private server (upgraded from pre8 to pre9) I don't experience problems. Well.. other than all my maps disappearing. Wait, I spoke too soon.

But I can reproduce problems whenever I enter the End; then I get kicked off and the server completely crashes.

You really don't want to try this one at home guys!
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  13. Pretty sure it was intentional since it makes sense for water to behave that way, BUT DONT PUT IT ON A PRE RELEASE LIKE 3 DAYS BEFORE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE

This game mechanic affects EVERYONE and a new game mechanic means bugs.
    607 likes this.
  14. These bugs seem pretty bad: https://youtu.be/8hTcsLpa1TI

they reverted this "bug" so phew
    ShelLuser likes this.
  15. Yeah, when I see all that I don't think I'll be upgrading my Redstone world to 1.13 anytime soon.

Now, this is bad pun mind you but even so.. I guess it's true: Mojang does seem to have picked up some bad traits from Microsoft :D

After all: most (at the very least a lot) of Microsofts projects in the past started out in horrendous ways. Take their Windows Phone: the very first release didn't even have a todo functionality. Expression Web (HTML designer): the first versions often crashed and were horrible to work with, Visual Studio 2012: this is a personal comment but the very first version hardly provided color schemes and the ones that it did have gave me a serious headache (no joking!); many others complained as well on the dev. forums back then.

And of course Windows itself: many people never picked up on a new Windows release, only after the first fixpack.

So here we are: Minecraft 1.13 and many players (myself included) are already anticipating 1.13.1 :p

I didn't have much time to play this week but the moments I did mess with Pre10 weren't exactly convincing. In some cases I experienced more lag in pre10 than I did with pre8, even though it was said to be optimized.
    607 and ForeverMaster like this.
  16. Minecraft Java 1.13 - The Update Aquatic, has been fully released today.

While this is exciting news, I have been trying to not over-hype myself for this new major update -- yet, for reasons I want to go into here:

Minecraft 1.13 is very reminiscent to release 1.8 and 1.9. 1.13 is/had:
    • The second longest wait for a major Minecraft update at 405 days since 1.12; 1.9 eclipses 1.13 at 545 days since 1.8.
    • The longest wait between its the first snapshot and full release at 266 days.
    • Ten (10) Pre-releases -- more than any other update.
    • 42 Snapshots -- the third most amount for a single update.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Many new features and changes, including technical ones. I believe 1.13 is the second largest update content-wise, between 1.8 and 1.7. But when it comes technical changes, 1.13 goes beyond 1.8.
    -
    Technical changes are often huge steps in Minecraft's development. For 1.7 - "The Update that Changed the World", Mojang changed/added over 500,000 lines of code.
    -
    In 1.8, all blocks, items, etc. received "String" IDs in preparation to completely remove the Block and Item ID limits in 1.13. 1.13 and future updates would have been impossible, without this multi-year long rewrite. Release 1.8 also made all block and item models data-driven and added block states, the latter of which replaced metadata entirely in 1.13. Since 1.8, resource pack makers can now customize the geometry of blocks and items, not only their textures.
    -
    Then in 1.9, Loot Tables and Structure Blocks were implemented which required Mojang to rewrite how everything drops blocks/items and how map structures are generated. Map-makers can create their own custom Loot Tables via .json files for their maps. In the near-future (1.14+), world generation will also become data-driven, allowing us to modify how map structures spawn and possibly add new structures ourselves.
    -
    Finally, in 1.13, there was "The Flattening". Removing the Block and Item ID limits were only a part of this long-term coding project. There is a separate page on the Minecraft Wiki for this topic alone! If you are a resource pack maker, this is for you to update your packs to Minecraft 1.13.x:
    -
    -
    1.13 also changed how Minecraft generates worlds, again, but unlike 1.7, this is mainly for the developers for future updates. The only major terrain changes in 1.13 are in the oceans. So, if you don't want to see those bizarre chunk boarders between different terrain generators, generate the whole oceans in your worlds now, or prune the oceanic chunks you aren't using -- What I mean by pruning is: delete pre-1.13 chunks with oceans to regenerate them with the new generation in 1.13.

-

-

Personally on EMC, I would like to see our developers prune chunks in the Frontier worlds that were only generated because players were searching for woodland mansions. Look at the Live Maps. Otherwise, when EMC updates to 1.13 and people go by the old chunks with ocean, they will notice chunk boarders between the new and old oceans.
    Back in 2013, going from 1.6 to 1.7, we didn't have any workarounds to avoid chunk boarders between the pre-1.7 terrain and post-1.7 terrain. But here with 1.13, we do.
    -
    Now, all of these technical changes and overhauls are great for the developers of Minecraft. They allow Mojang to continue innovating the game with new ideas. However, they often lead to many bugs and leave a lot of work for the MC community to update mods and servers. Minecraft 1.13 is no exception.
    -
    -
    No matter how buggy 1.13 is right now, at least Mojang got it out earlier than later. They could have delayed the Update Aquatic on Java further to fix almost every bug they have created, but this would leave us in an even longer drought.
    -
    Minecraft 1.13 is a bit unstable at this time, but 1.13.1 and other patches will likely be released to get performance back to around 1.12-level or better. Optimization was a big goal about 1.13 after all, before it merged into the Update Aquatic.
    __Devil_ and ShelLuser like this.
  17. Weekend is about to start (sort off, tiresome week here :confused:) and I couldn't help but notice something odd. I believe that Mojang have implemented silent updates, and to be perfectly honest I'm not too sure what to think about that.

What's a silent update? Well: an update to a software product without informing anyone about it.

The reason why I'm thinking in this direction is because I tested 1.13 last Wednesday evening because I was curious. I also installed the server version on my LAN server and played again later that evening in single player.

So today I want to start it and much to my surprise it tells me: "Download 1.13". Yet I had already done that? And that's a really neat feature of the modern laucher: it doesn't mention download if there's no need to download.

A bit weird if you ask me...
  18. ShelLuser likes this.
  19. A snapshot after the release? :confused:
    Is this your video?
  20. I believe this is a snapshot for 1.13.1.
    ForeverMaster, 607 and Tuqueque like this.