1.13 is coming!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Well, I finally gave into the persuasion and upgraded my redstone world to 1.13-pre1. This resulted in looking a bit more into Advancements and what do you know? Something has also changed in there which can have some heavy impact. And I totally missed it so far ;)

Series of custom advancements which I've set up...

Notice anything special? I can now use my own head as icon, just like I can use an Herobrine icon (below mine) and I can even add enchanted icons which have the regular glimmering effect (the icon showing the cow spawn egg).

I'm still hoping that they'll eventually also allow us to use NBT tags within recipes (so that you can enable the crafting (or smelting) of customized items) but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

And I think it really spices things up a little :)

Code:
    {
        "display": {
            "icon": {
                "item": "minecraft:player_head",
                "nbt": "{SkullOwner:ShelLuser}"
            },
            "title": {"text":"Ghost of the Shell","color":"gold","bold":true,"italic":false},
            "description": {"text":"Meet up with ShelLuser!","color":"green","bold":false},
            "show_toast": true,
            "announce_to_chat": true
        },
        "parent": "catslair:root",
        "criteria": {
            "summon": {
                "trigger": "minecraft:impossible"
            }
        }
    }

jacob5089 and 607 like this.
  2. Question: what do most of the modern Minecraft releases have in common?

Well, quite a lot I suppose but there's one troubling issue which keeps coming back time and time again. And although most players don't believe in the myth anymore it still becomes obvious that something is amiss because... how many times have Mojang tried to remove Herobrine?

Don't believe me? Here are the 1.13 release notes (Java edition), I quote:
    But this time things are going to be different, this time I managed to get proof! :eek:

Herobrine is real, and here's how YOU can get hold of him as well!

Now, first things first: obviously he's not real. But he can be, with a little help from my latest datapack :) I've been messing around a bit with some heavy 'minecraft scripting' as I like to call it and the result can be seen above.

Just be warned though: Herobrine is evil and it won't be a fair fight! He has the speed of a super turkey, he has the strength of a Momentus, he has the cunningness of a nether hound, and finally he has the endurance of a Marlix.

But it can be tons of fun. And don't worry: you don't have to mess with difficult commands and such.

How does this work?
    • You need a 1.13+ world where you have cheats enabled. Any world will do. Don't worry: Herobrine won't destroy anything, he'll only try to murder you ;)
    • Download my datapack from this link.
      • You need to place the zipfile in the "datapacks" folder which you can find in your world save folder.
      • After you've done that use the /reload command to start; you will automatically get a mysterious book and 20 "portal blocks".
    You can use the book to summon ("lure") Herobrine, but... you'll only find him in the Nether ;)Be sure to bring some high quality armor because... otherwise you won't make it.

As you can see in the screenshot you'll get a nice advancement after you managed to summon the dark one, and you'll get another advancement once you managed to kill him.

Reset option

If there's one thing I dislike about certain mods / datapacks it's that they sometimes leave a huge mess in your world. Dozens of settings get added to the scoreboard, but cleaning up after themselves? Hardly... :confused:

Well, not this gizmo. It uses a tag and a scoreboard objective, but once you reset the game it will fully clean up after itself, so it'll also remove the extra settings it added. ... as well as the advancement(s) ;)

Figured I'd share, hope some of you can have fun with this :)

(PS: if you reset the game and it complains... why not try it again? ;) )
    luckycordel, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  3. Haha, cool! That's one of those fun things an engine like Minecraft is so inviting for to do. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. I think that's just a running gag with Mojang. Since Herobrine has been around longer than modern Minecraft, I'd say that it's tradition that they put that there. I remember back with Minecraft 1.0.0, I saw that on the changelog ever since. It reminds me of a much simpler Minecraft... :)
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. Well, you got to hand it to Mojang: they are really working hard to make version 1.13 one of the better releases yet, even despite the unlucky number.

Did you know that you can invite players from the Internet onto your LAN game? It takes a bit of tweaking, and you need to have an Internet router which allows you to 'forward' ports, but if you got that settled then all it takes is forwarding the right port.

Either use the 'Open to LAN' option in the game menu, or simply use the /publish command. You will get a message saying something as: "Local game hosted on port xxxx" (when using the game menu) or "Multiplayer game is now hosted on port ....". Just tell your Internet router to forward that port, tell your friend(s) to connect to: <your ip>:xxxx (where xxxx is the same port number) and you'll be good to go.

Now, why I'm telling you all this? Well, I also sporadically use the 'Open to LAN' feature but ever since Minecraft 1.8 this had a very nasty (and game spoiling) problem: the host would always be shown as 'Steve', even if they had a custom skin set up.

So guess what?

That problem is one of the many fixes in 1.13 / 1.13.1!
    607, luckycordel and TomvanWijnen like this.