[POLICY] Macro Limitations

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Krysyy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. I personally think that using AFK-farming alts is OP, and I don't do it, but I would have a harder time arguing against them than against certain mods. While I can see similarities, I don't think they're equivalent, but whatever, that's not my point.

My concern with your statements about hypocrisy/double standards comes from this: we should be able to deal with an issue individually. Just dealing with 'A' would still be a step in the right direction. But since 'A' and 'B' are similar, then you're saying it would be a double standard to deal with 'A' but not 'B', or 'B' but not 'A'. It would also be too big of a task to deal with 'A' and 'B' at the same time.

So how are we to ever make progress? We shouldn't have to tack discussion about 'B' onto discussion about 'A'. We should be able to deal with 'A' on its own, and then move on to 'B' later. Otherwise, nothing would ever get done. I'm not a hypocrite; I'm just trying to focus on something manageable. One thing at a time.
  2. SMP6 -> Waste SW -- EXP farms, no macros or mods

When reaching the mob (animal) limit for wastelands I noticed after awhile it would lag for up to 20 seconds. I'm working on keeping it below the limit and getting rid of the excess before the lag (150-200). When not in the area I'm keeping it around 50-100. I'll probably clean that up to 0 and just keep a couple pig and chicken eggs around.

I was using an auto-clicker for the fish farm which was set at 3 clicks per second. That didn't seem to have an adverse effect. However, it is next to the animal exp area which in retrospect isn't the best idea.

My two iron golem farms are set more than 128 blocks from the exp farms and each are over 70 blocks from each other.

Doing nothing in town that is a slow down.
  3. Oh, and I'll log out instead of standing beside my iron golem farms waiting for villagers to breed. Or I'll just unplug the headphones so I'll be able to hear any private messages. I'm usually just going through youtube at the time.
    UltiPig likes this.
  4. Sure. an opinion could be false. "I believe the moon landing was a hoax" is false.

Yes, me believing mods is cheating is my problem. A game is released to be played in its vanilla client. Minecraft is and always will be the only game I will mod, and with Optifine. And, using my opinion, yes, many of the staff members could be considered cheating, but is against the rules? No; if they don't feel like it is cheating, then gr8.

Even if I don't know what macros are, I know enough to have the common sense to say that sitting back and relaxing while a script crafts your entire inventory for you is not legit. It may as well be pressing one button if the script does all of the work for you.

I do believe that as a community manager and a developer with Spigot, Kryssy and Aikar, respectively, know a large amount about many types of mods, Aikar in particular, and are justified in making a blanket decision.
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  5. Arguing about this rule seems pointless. It's nothing new, just a clarification on an existing rule that people have been unknowingly violating for a while.

You got some extra rupees and made some more items, good for you.

Prices might go up now, and that'll suck, but its something we, as players, can deal with. Not everyone buys things, and those who do might value their purchases more.

I've seen many threads where the argument "EMC isn't a democracy" has been raised, and it seems to apply here as well. The server that Aikar wants to run doesn't use macros to the extent that players have had access to. Simple as that. Regarding rule changes that efefct my ability to make money: Sure, having dispensers put out fully grown animals made breeding and farming a thousand times easier, faster, and more profitable, but when 1.8 came out and that all stopped, I didn't go on the forums and complain about it. I moved on to other things.

Mainly because I was told that I had crashed the leather economy. Who knows.
  6. If you're the person with the opinion, it's true to you but that doesn't mean that it's true for everyone. I could say that in my opinion, the regulations have made it harder to find/write legal macros without having to worry about being punished, which to me is true, but that doesn't mean everyone shares my view.

TL;RD: Whether an opinion is true or not depends on what you believe in.
  7. Think of it this way, guys: using a macro to craft items 1:1 per key press is like using the MATTIS crafting system in Console and PE versions of Minecraft. So it's actually pretty darn fair if you compare it to that. Of course, you have the option to use your mouse to click-and-drag stacks of 64 items one-at-a-time as opposed to using macros. In the end, what you choose between the two is up to you, just as long as you follow guidelines.

The "MATTIS crafting system" thing is just something I noticed about the way they're allowed on here; it makes sense to me. ^^; I know many people don't like Pocket Edition so sorry if this post upsets you, but again, just an observation, and I think this is the way to go honestly.

Really, using macros (or not) has its benefits and drawbacks. c:
    BenMA and SirTah like this.
  8. Ok here's a suggestion
    If the reason for this was to make it fair for everyone then here's something that should be done
    Step 1: Make a official page for the macro mod
    Step 2: Have peps Send you the macros they want to use
    Step 3: Staff checks the macro and makes changes where needed
    Step 4: Post the macro on the Macro mod Page for everyone to seea
    this way less peps get banned for not Changing the macros they have and making it fair cause now everyone has access to those macros

I mean if the objective is to make it fair then everyone needs to be on the same page and have the same info
    ShelLuser, Vizsco, jkjkjk182 and 5 others like this.
  9. i love this idea but i do not like the suggestion of peps getting banned
  10. Its not a suggestion, it's what happens when you don't follow the rules
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. It seems like there are two reasons for the rule we're debating. The first is player fairness, but the second is maintaining the vanilla aspects of MC on EMC. Somewhere between "100% vanilla" and "Everyone gets a tree that grows diamonds" lies the perfect balance for EMC, and the admins think that macros are too close to the diamond tree side.

Even if we post the macros, even if everyone has access to them, it still might push the game style of Empire too far away from where Aikar wants it.
  12. Don't be revealing my secret diamond tree to the community... It's nearly harvest time...
  13. I've read the thread and I'd like to share another serious concern which I personally have.

Being able to use mods and all can be fun, but there's also a major danger here which affects all of us: the moment when usage of mods is going to be taken into consideration by the staff after which they may change some of the rules accordingly in order to compensate for it.

Note: I'm not saying that this is going to happen, but something similar has already been put into motion:

One of the reasons why Aikar has put extra taxation on item repairs, and why he's always been in favor of dropping the EMC level cap on repairs (level 39), has been XP farms. Or, to quote: "Gaining XP on the Empire is simply too easy". In a way I agree with that statement: when I go out for a good mining session then I can relatively easily reach level 40 - 45 in no time.

Fact of the matter though is that it's not mining but XP farms which have been kept in mind here. Would I have gotten OP armor which got beaten down then it basically means that I'd have to spend 2 - 3 hours mining before I can actually repair 1 of my 4 armor items (I'm now aiming at the 39 repair cap, I also know about mending, not my point here).

So in a way XP farms have tainted my vanilla experience.

And that's why I'm a little concerned with seeing all this macro talk and why I agree 100% with Uber_Corq up there.

Because what could be next? (unfair comment on my end): auctions now need a minimum of 4 DC's because "getting items on the Empire is too easy?".

That's a serious concern I have with the apparent growing amount of mod users right now.

You say the economy is going to stagger when you can no longer mass produce items? So what? It only means that every other regular player who can't (or won't) use mods will get more money for their items. How would that be a bad thing?

Maybe food for thought? Personally, but that's just my opinion, I'd vote for the disallowing of macros in their entirety. I really don't want to spoil any other players fun, but there's also something as gameplay. And the use of macro's - once again in my opinion - is only a simple way to circumvent said gameplay.

In a way I'd go as far as calling it a mild form of cheating, and I know some of you will not agree but yah. As such, just my 2 cents here.
    Patr1cV, Uber_Corq and 607 like this.
  14. this makes me not sure about one macro I'ave got, one that crafts one stack of dispensers from the basic matirials, so, it first crafts bows, it crafts redstone from redstone blocks, etc, but it is one click per stack of dispensers, I'm not sure...
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  15. Lets try to install this.. - Im terrible with this kind of stuff. -
  16. It's a 1-click per stack into the crafting table, this macro is illegal. I suggest you remove it. :)
  17. you're sure, ok, thanks :) and, It alredey was removed when I asked the question, but I hoped it would be legal so that I can use it again :)
  18. Yep, it's a 1 to 1 ratio. If you couldn't do it with 1 action without macros then you can't with.
  19. So technically, you're allowed to put stacks in the crafting grid and press shift+click once to make that item?