[POLICY] Macro Limitations

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Krysyy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. I have a quick question regarding a script that I have and it's legality:
    Code:
    $${
        IF(autobreaking);
            LOG("&2[Macro] &fAuto-Break Stopped.");
            UNSET(autobreaking);
            STOP();
        ELSE;
            LOG("&2[Macro] &fAuto-Break Started.");
            SET(autobreaking);
            DO;
                KEY(ATTACK);
            LOOP;
        ENDIF;
    }$$

It's use it to dig/mine blocks while only having to use my WASD keys and moving the mouse around, but it seems a bit too fast. I have actually tried adding in a "WAIT(<time>);" statement immediately after the "KEY(ATTACK);" line and even a wait of 1ms (1/50th of a tick or the equivalent of 1,000 CPS) makes the macro malfunction and not break the block like it should. The only time it really works is if there is no wait, which simulates a player holding down a key, and is why I really wish there were "KEYPRESS(<key>);" and "KEYRELEASE(<key>);" directives. At that point the macro would look a lot nicer (shown below) as well as not need to basically "spam" clicks to simulate me holding down the mouse button :(.

Code:
    $${
        IF(autobreaking);
            LOG("&2[Macro] &fAuto-Break Stopped.");
            UNSET(autobreaking);
            KEYRELEASE(ATTACK);
            STOP();
        ELSE;
            LOG("&2[Macro] &fAuto-Break Started.");
            SET(autobreaking);
            KEYPRESS(ATTACK);
        ENDIF;
    }$$

So... how "legal" is this Macro?

Note: In the Macro/Keybind Mod, the word "ATTACK" when used as a key definition refers to they key that players have set to break blocks, defaults to left mouse click.
  2. To fix your problem with waiting not working, try using KEYDOWN(attack) and KEYUP(attack). :)
    607, willies952002 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  3. wait... that works..? :eek:

Edit: After looking at the Macros and LWJGL API documentation, I do not believe it is possible to use those directives to control a mouse button.
  4. After some research and testing, I found that it's actually possible to use something like the following:
    Code:
    $${
        CRAFT("melon_block", 64, false, false);
    }$$
    The above script will craft a stack of melon blocks, taking ~3s to craft each block. Even though it will take FOREVER to craft them, it should be legal based on my research. If it's not, please tell me now.
  5. Please... Mo real macro crafter uses the craft command in the macro mod. It is the slowest method to craft items and anyone can craft faster by hand.
    willies952002 likes this.
  6. Agreed, but until I can get my Crafting Manager system working, It'll have to do for now :(
  7. Just to confirm, keydown() and keyup() does not work with buttons like use or attack. :D
    willies952002 likes this.
  8. What i do not like is that the macro mod is being considered and treated like a unfair advantage
    which i disagree with, a staff member helped me install the mod and gave me some starting macros
    so anyone can really get it and use it.
    Its not really a unfair advantage if u give someone the tools and teach the how to get it.
    Plus its not like most of went and got it and where illegally using it, i only learned about it from the allowed mods page. And now since more people are using it its bad all of a sudden? well not bad but not very good
    I mean that is one of the coolest things about the server its mod users and macro makers
    Do you realize how few peps make macros? Emc has a small community of them and that is so cool.
  9. Unfortunately, I can understand the reasoning in this for at least my macros. Before the policy updated, I had a macro to automatically craft all of my 80 dc's of melon slices (which using my farms, filled up in a matter of hours) into blocks. Which in turn I could trade into emeralds very quickly with the use of macros as well. This definitely makes sense in limiting the macro usage. However, I'm not completely sure the one to one click is the best idea.

Although I'm not exactly experienced in managing such a large player base (or any player base for that matter), I'm going to suggest an idea... Perhaps forcing players to have a specific wait between each action would be better? (the wait to make it all fair and make the macro much slower) So far, I've been trying to trade carrots and potatoes by hand. However, as one could imagine, it's been very (and by very, that is an understatement...) hard and tedious to do. Although this may be Krysyy's intention, to make the game more vanilla. For me and many other macro users (I'd imagine) it would be easier to just have us put waits in between the action commands in the script such that we would still be able to protect our hands from slowly deteriorating into our keyboards. (Granted, I do spend way too much time at the computer! XD)
    azoundria likes this.
  10. Aw. Now I can't use my "Ultra LMB spam" anymore. It was only 860 cps.... I don't think that's too OP. You could easily achieve that by setting up 860 gaming mice and a stick glued to them and connect all sticks and just click it....
    It's also going to take forever to change all my macros for kicking staff and using ultra worldedit as well.. I quit EMC :'(
    If you couldn't tell, this is a joke!

11. Why only 860? Why not 9001 CPS? xD
    this is also a joke =P
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  12. Oh, I meant 860k, stupid hand. ;)
    haastregt, UltiPig and willies952002 like this.
  13. I've done all of my melon block crafting by hand.
    I've done all of my trading of carrots and potatoes by hand.
    Tens of DCs of crops.

I don't begrudge anyone the use of crafting macros as a convenience, but I will say that it now makes sense why I wasn't able to keep up in the enchanted book market.

I believe the macro mod was approved for use as a convenience tool. If it has become a requirement to stay economically competitive, then I think it's overreached the intent behind it's original approval and we should consider removing it.

Or perhaps we could limit to use to "no looping macros."
  14. I'm sure if Kill Aura was an approved mod all this time, that lots of players would use it and defend its right to be allowed, and I'd be weird for saying it shouldn't be allowed. Maybe you see it on the approved mods page, a staff member helps you install it, and now you enjoy using Kill Aura, legally. Would this mean that Kill Aura should be allowed?

The rules and staff's word dictate what you can and cannot do, not what you should be able to do, unless they happen to be really good rules. EMC being the server that it is, the rules here mostly are. This one stands out to me, though, as the Macro Mod clearly gives an advantage yet we're somehow okay with that.

I love this point brought up above me, so I'm going to quote it:
  15. I agree that without it you would be economically disadvantaged. But then again how many of the approved mods could be used to assist you in gaining an economic advantage?

16. If this is about being unfair for players that do not have the macros that other players are using simply start a thread have anyone that wants to use a macro have it checked out a staff member staff member can make tweaks and post it on the thread where everyone has access to it again so yet it won't be unfair once again simple but instead you're limiting what you can do with the macro quite considerably.
  17. I do think a universal script page would be useful. A staff member could approve of the script and its there for everyone to use it.
    TuckerAmbr and ThaKloned like this.
  18. I think this is a bit of a stretch lol With the new rules clarified, how is this possible? If we each have a DC of ingots, does mine fetch more money because I blocked it a little quicker? It seems like this statement is trying to make it sound far worse then it is. And if we should disallow this mod for crafting a stack of whatever a little faster then what about the countless changes to the game that EMC has made to also make things easier. Don't let the actions of a few vilify us all. When using this mod with respect to the new rules, I fail to see any economical advantage.
    JesusPower2, jkjkjk182 and SkareCboi like this.
  19. I can't be the only one noticing how some people seem to have an issue with someone doubling their crafting speed, but they support the use of alt accounts. If you support alts, then complaining about the slight time advantage a macro gives you (within the rules, of course) makes you quite the hypocrite.
    607, FoxyRavenger, Vortixin and 4 others like this.
  20. We're not quite talking about the same points in time, I think. :) (before and after the clarichange)

I think this is a really important topic so I'm going to write a longer post here. I apologize if I'm soap boxing.

I'm a programmer and I understand the fun in writing an awesome script, in improving efficiency and in general min-maxing game rules. I greatly respect that. So I don't vilify anyone who pushes the limits of the rules. Innovation drives game design in a healthy way. If I'm interviewing someone and they tell me how they dominated a minecraft server through scripting I don't think less of them -- I give them higher points!

My concern here is the influence these mods have on the way we play. Vanilla mechanics, outposts and the player market are the heart of EMC. We build our community and gaming culture around them. When we create situations where players are compelled to install add-ons to stay competitive then we're hurting those core values and it hurts EMC. (and I'm not saying its perfect right now or that it has to be 'vanilla')

There's a balance somewhere, between full-fast-multibox-automation and manual clicking. I think this thread reveals that the scripts were may more powerful and had a greater impact than many realized and they were swaying the balance in a negative direction.

I don't want to kill auto-crafting. Maybe the new wording restores the balance? I don't know. Keep discussing and make suggestions if you think of something better. ;)