What countries are represented on EMC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mob_Meal, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Lets just say its a nice and cosy country ;)
    Mob_Meal and UltiPig like this.
  2. Bumping because there's something in here I can reply to and I thought this was a pretty interesting thread :p

Hallo! Ich spreche Deutsch! Ich versuche, mindestens. Meine Deutschen Freunde sagen, ich bin nicht gut haha.
    Aaaand less than a month later this became Germany :rolleyes:
    Mob_Meal and 607 like this.
  3. Haha, you're speaking English with German words, it feels like :rolleyes:
    SoulPunisher and UltiPig like this.
  4. Cambodia. You know, that country that many people don't even know about or confuse with Thailand? XD
    Mob_Meal and mba2012 like this.
  5. I'm from the USA but I live in Bahrain right now for the military with my family. I don't know how many Bahrainis play on EMC, maybe me and another person... :(
    Mob_Meal likes this.
  6. Cambodia is nicer than Thailand ;)
    KindlingFire likes this.
  7. That's the only way I've been taught to speak it (the stuff I use teaches you languages the same way a baby would). I think that's why my German friends get annoyed at me so much when I try to communicate in it and constantly correct me with things that translate weirdly in English. No idea if what I wrote is correct or not :p
    607 likes this.
  8. This is what you said:

Hello! I speak German! I try to at least . My German friends say I 'm not good haha .
  9. Aye, I said that. I did a very literal translation though and I don't know if you're supposed to or not.
    607 likes this.
  10. you can, but only derectly from Dutch and other Germanic langues, and since Englisch is a Latin langue, you can't :p But the way I'm (trying to) speak Englisch is reading much, so that you do some kind of feel the right order of the words, it also helps your vocabulairy btw, they say it also helps with your spelling, but I think that if it does, it doesn't for me :rolleyes:
    SoulPunisher, 607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  11. Indeed. Translating near-literally works for German->Dutch and vice versa, but with English in the mix, you'll get odd or improper constructions.
    SoulPunisher and TomvanWijnen like this.
  12. English is a Germanic language (descendent of Frisian with influences from Norway and Sweden) :p

We just got invaded by the French and occupied until the War of the Roses in 1485. They changed some grammar and spelling rules. Also we have influences from the native Celtic population too. It's still Germanic at the core :c
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  13. oh, eehh, oops, eehh, it doesn't work though :p
    607, TomvanWijnen and SoulPunisher like this.

14. List updated!

I want to take the time to thank everyone for participating and sharing in this thread. I find it very interesting to hear where everyone is from and to learn a bit about the world we share. I also can't believe this thread has stayed alive as long as it has. Rarely have I "bumped it" with an unprovoked comment, yet it keeps popping back up periodically... I love it!
  15. It's been awhile and I thought I'd bring this up again to see if I find anyone (anywhere) new. I warned everyone on here I planned to keep this active for a year :D.
  16. Updated the list. Met someone from Ireland. But they will be on the secondary list until someone from Ireland actually posts here :).
    607 likes this.
  17. My mother is from the Czech Republic, if that counts ;)
    Mob_Meal likes this.
  18. I will add it to the "proxy" list. That is for ppl who are from (or their family is from) a different country than they currently reside. The country in which you currently reside would be on the main list.
    Scarmanzer likes this.
  19. I know this thread is old but.. Ireland!
    Mob_Meal and 607 like this.
  20. Really??? I visited Ireland in May 2015. Spent 16 days & basically traveled the entire country (and a bit of Northern Ireland too). It is an amazing country and one of the best trips of my life.
    607 and PetezzaDawg like this.