What countries are represented on EMC?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mob_Meal, Feb 7, 2016.

1. I think it was the frontline of one/multiple big battles, not exactly sure though, so that's why we're going there :p
    607, FDNY21 and TotoStyle like this.
  2. I have a trip to there either next year, or the year after. It's run by my school and seems really interesting :)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  3. Have fun Tom :D
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  4. It was the first place to be chlorine gassed by the Germans in World War I, during the Second Battle of Ypres. Basically the birthplace of modern chemical warfare.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  5. It was also the site of one of the biggest allied successes when they tunnelled under german lines and blew them up. They lost the ground they gained a few weeks later though :/
  6. Wait, so no one from Brazil posted yet? Let me fix that!

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, best city and state in Brazil. Anyone who says otherwise clearly doesn't know how awesome we are :p
    Jelle68, 607, Mob_Meal and 1 other person like this.

7. Pleasure to meet you! (I updated the list too)
    Birosquinha likes this.
  8. Just seen this: British people swear a lot too, in loads of different ways. We say it in jokes, in nicknames, and we write and say them out of pure habit. I have to double check my posts here sometimes in case I've dropped an f-bomb or said the 'c-word'. The c-word is also apparently the most offensive word in the US, but here we just say it if someone does something stupid or as a joke. I don't know if this is just a northern thing, though, but I think we take the cake for most swearing :p

The rule is that the further north you get in the UK, the more people drink, swear and the more the speech becomes nowhere near understandable unless you're from the area - also distinctly more Scottish sounding.
    TotoStyle, 607 and Mob_Meal like this.
  9. Even though the amount you swear actually increases as your social class increases ;)
  10. New Zealand?
  11. Are you from New Zealand?
    Theomglover likes this.
  12. What does "by proxy" mean?
  13. Per Wikipedia:
    A proxy is an agent or substitute authorized to act for another person or a document which authorizes the agent so to act,

In my post it refers to someone who says they are from a certain country, but currently do not reside there.
    ArkWarrior1 likes this.
  14. Yes
  15. Sweden, if it hasn't been mentioned yet (really don't want to go through all the previous posts) :p
  16. Ok I did just put Sweden, sorry! I am from the USA actually, moved to Sweden 14 years ago and will probably stick around. We bike everywhere in Sweden too, with bike lanes on both sides of most roads. It's just faster to get anywhere by biking (in town at least), parking a car is a hassle and usually you will end up parking far away from where you want to go anyway.
    Fun things about Sweden: many exchange students who have been here during their studies complain of 'withdrawal' when they leave here because, while absolutely not 100% true, the Swedish people are stunningly beautiful as a whole and make a very strong effort to stay physically fit. Upon going back home they fall into a depression of sorts, being suddenly surrounded by normal-looking people. Rumor has it that the vikings of old sacked and plundered all the surrounding nations, stealing all the beautiful women and heredity has taken it's course!

So most Swedes speak excellent English, but they need me as technical writer to just go through all the written stuff and fix it right! I've found my niche and the only requirement was English as a native language lol.
    607 likes this.
  17. Have you ever been to north England? I can guarantee you the lower and middle classes swear more than the upper class :rolleyes:
    SirTah likes this.
  18. Really cool!

And as an example, I would list Sweden for this post and USA (by proxy) if they weren't otherwise listed.
  19. Updated the list. Please tell us about it. New Zealand is definitely a place I'd like to visit some day!
  20. Canada, Vancouver to be exact!
    Some things that separate Canada from the rest of the World:

It's cold, really cold. The coldest temperature it has reached in Canada is -81°C. That's -114°F.
    It's the first country in North America that was explored! Vikings landed on the east coast of Canada, and Newfoundland was the first part of Canada that European explorers ever landed on!

Some things that separate Vancouver from the rest of Canada (and the world)

It's not as cold! We don't get bad weather here, at all. We usually get snow once a year, and it usually stays around for two weeks or so. We rarely go below about -5°C.
    We had the 2010 Winter Olympics!
    We have a lot of different attractions! You can go to the beach, the mountains, and a golf course all in the same day!
    Zrugite, TotoStyle and TomvanWijnen like this.