Voting Rewards and Residence Subzones! 12/15/17

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Dec 15, 2017.

1. I didn't get anything tho ;<
  2. The same thing can be said for 100.
    At minimum, 100 votes will take 50 days without missing a day, without website errors (for me it takes more).
    What dedication? I'm not quite sure how the voting bonus system works nowadays, but I think that if you've got a bonus of 1100 and stop voting for a year, it'll still be at 1000+ when you resume. If the bonus would still reset after a single day, it would be a different story.
    I am going to try to protest vocally against this idea, as I am quite frustrated with how the age trophies for 1-5 years work. This honestly seems comparable to that nonsense.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. According to /p it says you didn't vote... You need to vote and on your next vote bonus you'll receive in the mail any voters banners that are assigned to any previous vote bonuses that reflect your current voters streak.
  4. TuckerAmbr, Krysyy and ShelLuser like this.

5. That is a good point, however, it still doesn't take away the 1100 days you put into this :)

Of course, you are right that it does taint the 1200 days you're showing off with.

My take on that is that I'm even more petty than you... no, I am not being mean, please hear me out...

When someone tells me: "I've been on EMC longer than you" and I hardly know them I usually respond with: "I've played pretty much constantly without hiatuses, what about you?" while thinking: "maybe took a break for 1 year and now he's back?".

I can even do worse: players who dropped off day 1 from the tutorial and are now coming back. OMG, old time players, that must mean something!

No... their age means jack shorts :p

Thing is: it's not perfect 607... but it's what we have and sometimes you just got to go with what you know. And that came out awkward.

And... sometimes you need to think about others too. Voting is awesome but let's be honest... this is also about EMC just as much as it is about us.

I'm going to be honest & open with you and if anyone else has an issue with this I am going to politely ignore them because 607 and me :p

See, my problem here is that some of us have voted for YEARS without it being an issue when it came to rewards. And I say this while being a little bit envies of your 1133 vs. my 1060 (some day I'll catch up! :D (LOL!, some players believe comments like these)) but also to establish my position: I am not that far behind of you.

If we voted for so many days without rewards then why would it suddenly become a problem?

I vote to get my hands on rupees, expensive stuff to hoard and to support the Empire.

Yes. in that order. How ungrateful I sound, right? (general comment)

But in the end it doesn't take away from the time we actually spend on this.

So now I am going to play the devils advocate.

How do you think this would make players feel who voted for 500 days, missed day, got reset, now went back to 1000 votes?

Sometimes you just got to make due and work with what you got. And sometimes you just got to accept that some things aren't perfect.

Of course that's just my idea on all this.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  6. That's a nice posts with some good thoughts, but what's your point? :p
    I can't really reply if I don't know what you're trying to say. :rolleyes:
    One thing to note, just in case: I'm glad the vote bonus doesn't reset anymore. I only started voting again, when that was implemented. And in fact, I believe I was the very first person on EMC to (formally) suggest the harsh resets to be modified. :)
    But it not resetting means, to me, that getting to vote bonus 1100 is not at all more impressive than getting to vote bonus 100 eleven times. So that's why I think that the rupee bonus kaptrix showed is perfectly fine. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. I can understand the point that age is meaningless in relation to the forum trophies.

IT was a built in system to the forums, i cant make it based on actual activity (without serious code effort which we dont have time for)

But voting, it at least shows you were active and put in effort for that much time.

It's all about keeping that incentive to keep going alive.

All those items in first 200 are great to get new players voting and constantly excited, but past that -- many might stop.

The sense of completion/items you dont have keeps you going.

If you know that your reward for your continued effort increases in baseline value the higher you go, it gives you drive to keep going higher.

It gives that continued strive for progression.

When players cap out on progression, thats when they get bored.

So yes, changing the bonus rupees isnt really "needed", but it will help the empire to encourage even more people to vote.
    Jelle68, _Devuu__, kaptrix and 3 others like this.

8. Thing is: it's not perfect 607... but it's what we have and sometimes you just got to go with what you know. And that came out awkward.

Yah, my bad, but I'm kinda deep into my EMC enjoyment right now :)

I don't think this was about the forums at all :)

But I do wholeheartitly agree with your other points.
  9. Ok I'll do dat
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  10. Nothing on EMC matters anymore. It all pales in comparison to the long awaited release of the Empire Waffle.
    Roslyn, ShelLuser, _Devuu__ and 5 others like this.
  11. Can't have hash browns without some waffles :p
    CinemaSins likes this.
  12. It's not what we have yet. :p What we have is what I'd like to keep. ;)
    I do get Aikar's points, though... it's an interesting issue. I can see how people would like progression. But aren't these banners enough for that?
    Another point: I don't feel like it's fair that someone who's been voting for longer will be able to get more rupees and tokens by voting. But hey, if everyone's in favour but me, don't mind me all too much, I guess... :p

Aikar was commenting on my comparison to age trophies. I hate how you get more and more trophy points for the same achievement. It doesn't make any sense. It isn't that way for posts, likes and referrals, so it shouldn't be that way for age either. But that's another subject. :p
    ShelLuser and Tuqueque like this.
  13. Ok, apparently the banner issue was not fixed this morning. The bug was deeper downstream than our own code.

True fix has been deployed and bug filed with upstream.
    607, ShelLuser, CinemaSins and 2 others like this.
  14. Disclaimer: not too clear minded at the moment, I am getting deeper into my Friday evening weekend mood :)

But still a teaser post because you got to advetise :p Why would we care about sub residences? What is the big deal?

Well... see for yourselves...

With special thanks to Tuqueque!

Need sugarcane? Go to 3749, walk in and it's on your right. Break all the cane you can break, the system will protect itself.

How I did that? Yah, spoilers ;) this is also meant as an appetizer for an upcoming tutorial (this weekend).

BUT:
    • Select the ground of the sugarcane, the opposite corners
    • Shift your selection up by 2 (//shift 2 u)
    • Now your subzone targets the middle cane blocks, open it for building: /res set !<yourres>.<yourzone> build t
    More to follow in better detail this weekend.

For the record: for me this update closely rivals the compass update, which is my all time favored update so far. Just to give an idea of how excited I am here.
    607 and WayneKramer like this.
  15. lol

:p

Though im a bit surprised. There are some on here that have over 1700?
  16. Code:
    mysql> select votemax from user order by votemax desc limit 5;
    +---------+
    | votemax |
    +---------+
    |    1777 |
    |    1700 |
    |    1664 |
    |    1654 |
    |    1622 |
    +---------+

you are 5th place.
    607, ThaKloned, TomvanWijnen and 3 others like this.
  17. So I guess there's an issue already fixed. But I vaulted mine. When I took them out, they were no longer wearable and the colors are jacked. That was just now, so after the fix. I'll have to contact SS.

But thank you! These are fun.
  18. Due to the nature of that bug, it is possible it was caused by that bug. So yes please contact SS.
    ChumMiner likes this.
  19. Code:
    mysql> select votemax from user order by votemax desc limit 5;
    +---------+
    | votemax |
    +---------+
    | 1777 |
    | 1700 |
    | 1664 |
    | 1654 |
    | 1622 |
    +---------+

Geez that top guy must never sleep.. 😎
  20. So many awesome updates recently! Just one would've been "enough", but wow, you developers have been working hard! :D Thanks for all the hard work, and give yourself a pat (or more! ;)) on your back. :)

I absolutely love the new residence subzones. Like someone else said, I believe this is one of the oldest often suggested ideas, and it's "finally" been realised now! ;D I am sure that many will make good use of them.

And those banners look awesome. Looking forward to receiving those (first need to log in... :p). Maybe this can push Jelle to start voting again, like I've told him countless times to do... :p

Hmm, I already knew those last two, and just found out the first one and third one... now I'm very curious who the second person is... :p
    607, ShelLuser and ThaKloned like this.