The problems of Krysyy, Aikar and how EMC is run.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by _REMOVED_87055, Oct 27, 2019.

1. All well said Hash. Thank you.
    Also my final post in this thread.
  2. There was one team who focused on it, but I dont believe they exist anymore.

I myself have contributed in the process of rebuilding, specifically south frontier SMP2 but I found that there was no real staff action.

Maybe it would be cool if there was a promo awarded to players who actually contributed to rebuilding a frontier zone, and maybe supplies could be given out from staff.

With re-beautification, a laissez-faire approach is not a good method at all.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  3. Regarding confidential information. Easy examples of things which should not be shared by staff are...
    Chat logs, planned future features/events, discussions about players due to a /report or their membership on an EMC team.

Confidentiality rules are especially important to protect our players' personal privacy such as their in-game chat. EMC only has the information that players give us. We are entrusted to use that information ONLY when required. Discussing individual players is a necessary part of managing a Minecraft Server. I hope we can all agree that the individual shortcomings of our community members should not be published and discussed in public. They should not be sent to a non-staff friend because it is quality gossip.
    Those discussions are necessary though; to thoroughly vet membership on EMC teams or collaborate on /reports. A private conversation has the advantage of being able to give your honest opinion on a subject without retaliation from the person being discussed. In the interest of instilling a sense of personal security to everyone on the server, I think it is best to maintain our policies of keeping staff communication between staff. This policy protects everyone. Otherwise, who gets to draw the line on what private conversations are appropriate to share?

Has staff communication crossed the threshold of legitimate discussion before? Yes, perhaps even turning into venting at times. But I firmly believe that is rare and not the norm in our staff communication. Vast majority of our staff communication is just chatter. What is going on in-game, in-life, and general nonsense.
    BreezyMan, AnonReturns, Zbid and 11 others like this.
  4. Exactly, myself and frostynovacow took it upon ourselves to fix up wild south on smp3 before the re-beautification was ever proposed. I believe the wilds should be looked over and fixed up at LEAST once every 6 months.
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  5. gimme back my cookies-- my cache is off limits, sorry chicken breast
    KatydidBuild and Otus_NigRum like this.
  6. I do agree that I let the ball drop on the bedrock bridges. It slipped my mind completely fo some reason or another. I know we had a slight problem with some permissions on some of the ones I replaced, so maybe that's why. I don't know and I apologize. I'll look into this after TNT run TODAY.

As for the re-beautification, this is not feasible. You have thousands of players on one server in the same worlds in a game called MINEcraft. They mine. We created the wastelands to have fresh worlds when needed, and we released new outposts for the frontier. When I fixed up a few smp outposts, it took less than a month for it to look like trash again. That's just the nature of the game with this many players online.
    Zbid, 4thOfJurhy, 607 and 2 others like this.
  7. To confirm this. We have an ... annoying bug where permissions are messed up if set before the worldedit. Figuring this out threw a wrench in that project. Thus backburnering it.
    CrackpotCreator, Zbid, 607 and 3 others like this.
  8. Aah, okies! I wasn't aware of the permissions thing, but that's good to know! Thank you for replying so promptly to my comcerns. I do hope we can figure out maybe a monthly event or something like suggested earlier where everyone gathers on smp's to fix up around the spawns. It really doesn't look good for new players to go to a random spawn and see devastation. :eek:

I think it might help to start doing the monthly newsletter again, keep players in the loop as to what's currently going on. Long stints without word on things tends to make players antsy and feel like no progress is being made. Just a thought to help ease everyone's minds? :)
  9. That made me laugh out loud, thanks. :)
    Moreover, thank you very much for taking the time to write this Kephras-quality post. Although I am somehow surprised that you are apparently allowed to.
    Zbid and Jelle68 like this.
  10. The newsletter was originally just a re-posting of all the pertinent threads in that month. We kinda stopped because we wanted each thread to get its own individual attention instead, with them being more important. Maybe I'll look into a real 'news' style that wouldn't be just a re-posting of links.
    Zbid likes this.
  11. After discussion, we allowed Senior Staff to post on this thread in particular so that another point of view from staff who DO see almost everything that goes on was visible. To clarify, I did not ask them to make the post. I simply told them that they were allowed to, if they wished.
    Ariesis, __Devil_, Zbid and 3 others like this.
  12. So now that this situation has blown over, what happens to the criticism and opinion?

Is that going to get heavily looked into or is this going to be swept under the rug and forgotten about as we return to our happy fields of flowers and gold?
  13. The criticism has been heard fully. I do wish there was more substantial items to work from, such as what exactly you want to see more of. Events, player interaction, etc. However, from what I do have, we're continuing discussions that started a week or so ago when the other thread was made in order to make progress in some aspects while we have our hands tied with the 1.14 stuff.
  14. I (and I assume the rest of the community, mostly) would like to see the following :)
    1. More development updates. I know Aikar has released some previously and announced them in a thread, but there is either no process being made, or it just hasn't been well- known. I also know about the bug tracker, but its nice to read Aikar's posts.
    2. More events at different time zones
    3. Less spam "global" messages
    4. Potentially looking into updating the site-- sheesh its getting old, and I know multiple people have already brought this up and its been shot down every time...
    And there's more, so I can add any that come to mind/ people voice in this thread
  15. r/Iamverysmart
    also, how on earth did YOU get a pre-law if you think that the 1sr amendment applies on private property, which is what the forum is...
  16. 1. I'll work with Aikar/chicken to see what he can do about progress updates more regularly. I can't promise anything, but I can push.
    2. Specific time zone you want to see?
    3. I only see 3 active right now. Voting, Apply for Staff, and Share your Scare. Unless there is something else coded in...
    4. WAY low on priority list. You want updates, that's not one that will be happening for a long time, if ever. It works and while the updates would bring some improvements for feasibility, it would not be substantial enough to put any priority for an update when there are more pertinent updates to work on.
    Zbid likes this.
    1. poosh it is :)
    2. MST Time would be great
    3. it might have gotten better, but sheesh Survival Update V2 was going on for over a year.. like bit overkill, IMO
    4. Well that's great-- that has been the answer every single time, yet nothing else seems to being released, so why not see something that is regularly talked about worked on? Considering this forum has quite the outdated feel, as well as many reliant suggestions/ features on hold pending this update that seemingly might never happen now
    ZandercraftGames and 607 like this.
  17. Thanks for your points! My replies:
    1. I agree that getting more updates on development progress would be nice. However, I would say that Aikar's time is better spent modelling and coding than summarising progress.
    2. Yeah, that would be nice! I suppose for that to be easily possible, there would need to be moderators who are available at other times, though; likely European moderators to host at times more easily attendable to Europeans.
    3. Oh yes, if there are a lot I would be in favour of reducing them... but of course I don't know, as I don't play. :rolleyes: But couldn't it be, dare I say, a player setting like players logging on and off being able to be displayed in chat, on the status bar, or not at all?
    4. Yes please. I want the ability to list someone's threads back mostly, but there are also other features severely missed by me and other forum users, most importantly a search system that works properly and a draft system for posts (both probably included with newer versions of XenForo). However, I think this can only be looked into by Aikar, and if he has got time to do coding, I think the Minecraft updates should be prioritised, unfortunately. By the way, this is yet the most well-featured forum I currently actively use. Many boards are much more primitive.
  18. what time MST time? Like number?

It would take a lot more than you think to update these forums. More than the complexity of 1.14 likely. The entirety of the system was built pre-Aikar and as a hack on hack on hack piggyback system behind-the-scenes. It's such a clusterduck to understand, let alone mess with. It also runs the risk of breaking everyone's supporter-ship access.
    607 likes this.
  19. 6-10pm GMT-7

I understand how much it would take as I have experience with web development as well as Xenforo. The rebuilding of the forums would also not need to be in a production environment right away, meaning it should not jeopardize people's access until it has been fully-tested