The Marlix & Mini Improvements Update! - 11/19/15

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Nov 19, 2015.

1. I blame my horribly slow internet connection for transmitting an incorrect spelling. ;) Will fix shortly :p
    ww2fan168 likes this.
  2. So we can only spawn 1 enraged per 30 mins. no matter if you are running around or standing still?
  3. 2 minutes..? Wouldn't that make healing enraged guardian villagers impossible now..? As the tick for healing takes much longer.. I may as well shuttle my apples and potion gear back to town as it is completely useless for dealing with Momentus enraged now.. :oops:
    Gawadrolt and ShelLuser like this.
  4. Gosh, tried to kill a Marlin and took an hour and a half to get him halfway down :(

But this means prices of Marlin Gear will sky rocket... I hope :)
  5. And I hate how the Marlix never stops spawning his engraged fellows.
    Gawadrolt and KJCHAV like this.
  6. Same
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  7. A few things. Minibosses spawning needed to be nerfed, I don't think anyone would honestly disagree with that. I quite like the nerf and think it is fair and way more reasonable. BUT! of course there was a but. 3 hours and they despawn? sometimes it can take an hour+ just to find some people to kill it, if you aren't inclined to do it yourself. With marlix taking longer, its easily taken me 2+ hours to kill a marlix BEFORE and well over 3 hours for those annoying ones that get out over an ocean(which I assume shouldn't be as much of a problem now that they track the player)

I don't think 3 hours is a super low amount of time but it might be much better increased by at least double. The whole 1 miniboss per smp seems unnecessary though especially since just with the 3 hour vs the 1.5 hour smp(or world? I don't really catch which that refers to) spawn time you have effectively cut the spawn rates in half and the player limits cut the number of spawns even further.

The guardian spawns. Guardians are supposed to make the minibosses more difficult. Got it. Before, when guardians would ultimately stop spawning the marlix was already quite difficult to fight and momentus not as much but still difficult. Perhaps the guardian spawns should be looked over again as well?

Just my observations. I really like the updates and was anticipating them for a few days. :D

The commands /res info /iteminfo /horse info something about this is a little off no? I would think that would be a quick fix so that you can do /resinfo /item info /horseinfo and they do the same thing :D also /vault being in there as well. The remove/del commands similarly. why can you use del in a command but not delete and why aren't the two interchangeable instead of having remove for certain things and del for others? that also puzzled me. Just throwing this out here because of the /vault list, /vault info update. Just made me think about all of that.
    KJCHAV likes this.
  8. Awh, thorns no longer proc from arrow damage? Now I can't just ignore skeletons anymore! :p

I am grateful for this Marlix change though. Too many times has a Marlix escaped me due to the random path it takes…Thanks, dev team!
  9. Now this, this is awesome...thanks staff!!
  10. Still no one has answered my question... =.=
  11. nope, just got one yesterday :D
  12. Let's see.. first things I can think of are mail, marlixes, friends, giants, enraged, tokens, bungee smps, thousands of bugs being fixes, server maintenance, and continually taking suggestions to improve features. This is what the dev team has done, and there is undoubtedly more. All the while, they are trying to maintain a social life, and keeping an outside source of income.

All of that for a dev team of maybe 3 or 4 people. Seems pretty easy until you consider actually doing all of that. Cut them some slack, he's improving before adding. That's good development. If you think you can do better work, then I suggest you apply for development.
  13. I don't think you realize how ridiculously long 3 years is. And as for a dev team of 3 or 4 people, they should consider hiring more devs. I'm sure that there are bunches of coders within the community. My point is, there isn't an excuse for the wait.
    SoulPunisher, CadenMann and PenguinDJ like this.
  14. Nice, I was pritty bussy with doing nothing the last time, so this is the first time I noticed this update :rolleyes:
    And, oh wow, just sold "Some toothpickes and marlix gear" because the price was going down...
    Annyway, nice updates :D
  15. So I was on today working at my base and got the usual notification of the MiniBoss spawning - If the issue referring to only 1 MiniBoss being around at any given time was fixed, then how is it still happening ?

https://i.imgur.com/NVfOW38.png

Edit: Picture was taken moments before this post!
  16. We've had this discussion before and I'll repeat myself again. If it was 3 years with only that to work on, then yes, it's a long time. However, we've already admitted that the idea was released way too soon to the public. We have to do things in stages in between bugs, version updates from Mojang, and improvements that make a difference here and now. People are already asking when we expect to be 1.9. Not to mention the fact that Aikar and the developers have real lives and real jobs they have to attend to as well. We can't just shut down fixing entity bugs, lag causes, etc to only work on DT development. EMC has to keep going in the meantime and that takes work.

Please keep in mind that for a long time it was just Aikar at the helm of the development area. With chickeneer, MrSocks75, and BreezyMan to assist him nowadays, things are getting knocked out a lot faster and it's allowing us to really get back to the DT pt 3, after Empires (as was voted on by the community). EMC has a lot of custom code and when a new developer is hired, even one with years of experience, there is still a learning curve. More developers does not always equal the answer, but if you feel that you can be a developer, then by all means, apply to help.

Now let's get back to giving the developers their credit for this amazing update because they deserve it.
  17. Look at this from a player's POV. I understand that devs have lives, other things to work on, but that doesn't mean it should take THREE YEARS. And I'm more than sure that there are people that have waited during these years, desperate for one update to come out. Now I know I can't code, but as much as you want to support staff rather than those that have been waiting, know that it shouldn't take 3 years for 1 update.
  18. See, that's the thing. It hasn't been just one update. We've had tons of mini-updates and major updates in the last 3 years, each with their own hurdles. You could use the same argument with dystopia as we announced it too because Aikar wants to keep the community in the loop of planned development. We can't make things instantaneously though and he still has to keep the server functioning in the meantime. Everything happens in stages and we have had a lot more progress on those stages as of late. I don't code either, but I see the complexity in the things Aikar and the development team do when they spam staff chat with code excerpts and spend hours trying to make sure every thing is covered so that things like our recent entity bug don't happen. Or they spend hours trying to figure out what went wrong in the code.

Long story short, updates are still secondary to making sure the server continues to function properly and the developers have lives. I honestly haven't seen many players actually apply to help the dev team as they likely know how much work it really takes to code, etc for this server. I know it sucks to wait from a player's POV because I'm in that same predicament. Look at Aikar's list of future ideas he's posted somewhere on the forums. He has such great plans for the Empire, but it can't happen overnight and definitely will take years to actually see a dystopia active on the Empire. That's just a fact of a long-term developemnt road map. I'm waiting just like everyone else.
    Kytula, Nickblockmaster and Codygraw like this.
  19. Dragon Tombs wasn't only announced too early, it was hyped wayyyy too much, which is what I believe the problem is. If ICC/Justin just subtly mentioned it like they did land claiming very few people would be complaining.

Land claiming and DT were announced at the same time, and people aren't complaining about the three-year development time (which I agree is a bit too much time) because it just got a footnote at the end of the DT announcement thread (which is currently locked/stickied in Updates/News.
    SoulPunisher likes this.