The Marlix & Mini Improvements Update! - 11/19/15

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Nov 19, 2015.

1. worst update ever !!!!! even on difficulty 4 with god armor and bow hes become almost impossible to kill
  2. anyone notice the chicken that says "im the real boss :(" ? :D
  3. Marlix is SO hard to beat now, he spawned on me and my sister out in the frontier. It took us more than a hour between the two of us to defeat him, with lots of deaths included. We were on difficulty 5. Only good thing is that he dropped his bow for us.
  4. note minibosses never a negative score due to Risk Guage. They block the attack/teleport to you.
    When rewards are reduced:

"&cIt appears that Monster is having trouble getting to you... Extra rewards chance reduced."

But for Marlix (cant safely teleport)

"&cIt appears that Monster is having trouble getting to you... It resisted the attack."

And then for any miniboss OR difficulty 8+
    "&cIt appears that Monster is having trouble getting to you... It has been drawn to you."

i understand that was frustrating, but i don't know much i can do. giants getting stuck in the environment isn't something we can easily avoid. mojang never used the mob so never wrote code to keep it from happening.

as for the counters. I agree with you on the macro level, but we don't have many elements we can tweak with minecraft combat to balance it. It's not like other games where ranged bosses have other abilities they switch to when you go in close combat. In MC, you really cut off the monster from attacking.

So it either makes it super easy, or we have to make it super hard in other ways... I feel like the way things are done is a better balance.

However, I've made a ticket for us to least try to detect stuck momentus and rescue them.
    EMC-1009
    Pab10S likes this.
  5. Once saw a Momentous stuck in the ground (head above surface, feet in cave)
    Decided to attack it, and it literally did neither attack nor spawn guardians nor do anything, so turned up the difficulty :D
  6. I think the Momentus is fine but the Marlix needs reduced guardian spawn rates. like 1-2 every 5 mins… Without guardians its a good archery challenge to take him down, but with guardians it can take more than an hour and a lot of wasted gear.
  7. Can we just get rid of the marlix all together cause do to the updates to him he is even harder to kill then a momentus
  8. no and no :p

if you had 5 mins to focus on Marlix... wouldn't be much challenge. The guardians keeping you multitasking is what adds to the challenge.

same thing for momentus. He alone is usually easy, but the guardians are what hurts more.

But we'll tweak until its right, but last nights update should of put us very close to what it should be. Reduction of HP will make the fight not take so long, and another slowdown of spawn rates.
  9. Can Turkeys spawn in the Frontier, Wastelands, Nether, and End like last year?
  10. Im diffucalty one and it is still summoning assistance every 5 secs -.- and i been fight this marlix for 20 minutes and i just gave up and walked away.
  11. wrong thread silly penguin
  12. Oops! lol

Just got an end spawn though. :p
  13. Yea Aikar, maybe not 1-2 every 5 mins but definitely needs to take ALOT longer than 5 seconds to send another spawn wave. Usually what happens is every 15 seconds the message comes up, then every 5 seconds a skeleton gets placed without the message for me. It weird. And with the skeleton's 2 minute derelict he never runs out of skeletons to spawn. I have had about 20 skeletons on me before.. And thats to the point that there is almost nothing I can do to defend myself besides try to run and cave myself in.
  14. I fought a Marlix today, sorta, and well... For me it's not as much fun as it used to be (obviously that's a matter of opinion).

The main problem I see are the guardians. I can understand that you want players to switch while fighting but I think the main problem here is that you constantly switch between ranged combat and melee combat. The guardians are best taken down by a sword which automatically makes you miss several opportunities to shoot at Marlix. Also the spawn rate of the guardians is a bit too much: you hardly get any chance to look for Marlix, let alone aim & shoot it because within 5 - 10 seconds a new batch of guardians is spawned in which you then need to kill again.

I didn't have much fun here because it was basically a slug fest (fighting guardians) and after 10 or so minutes - without having made any progress what so ever on Marlix - I had enough. It got boring. My main gripe here: if I wanted a slug fest I'll fight Momentus. Sure, last time I fought him (diff. 9 with OldManWillikers3) it took us half an hour or so but at least you had that ever lasting sense of making (some) progress. Even if you might not make any (Momentus also gets healed from your deaths).

But that sense of progress is what keeps the fun in. If you get the feeling that you're basically grinding without getting any further to your goal then it gets boring, really quick.

SO here's my suggestion...

Make the guardians spawn further away from the player, so not in our faces. Optionally you could even spawn more in. But the distance should make it more appealing to continue to use ranged attacks. Heck; put 'm on the edge of attacking so that you need to decide if you want to shoot or slash 'm.

That way players can create a few more openings for themselves to shoot at Marlix again, without being able to just spam shoot at it because of the present guardians. And if diversity is a big issue then maybe make one guardian spawn near and the rest further around the player.

But yeah... in its current form the battle isn't much fun for me.
    DrMadFate likes this.
  15. You only do about 3-4 hearts of damage to a marlix with a bow if even that.
  16. Update

In the mean time I killed the Marlix which I fought earlier, which was well after 3 hours. So it didn't despawn. Better yet: its bigger brother Momentus also appeared during the fight, so there seems to be an issue there (not that I'm complaining!).

At first I was heavily disappointed because the message told me that it didn't drop any loot (only 423 tokens). Further examination of the grounds where Marlix has fallen showed me different: a skeleton head, 2 dragonstone fragments and a Marlix bow (also tons of bones & arrows of course). I started playing at diff. 6 then continued the battle at diff. 4.

But honestly? I'm happy that I managed to get a bow, but even if I knew for sure that there was more chance of getting loot then I'd still skip a Marlix fight because of the grind. Not trying to be too negative here, but I honestly had more fun this afternoon with chasing a super turkey around which went completely bonkers than with this dude. Even though that only got me some feathers, cooked turkey and a diamond. It was fun, and funny too.