Share Your Video Game Achievements

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 607, Jul 2, 2020.

?

How many video games do you reckon you've beaten?

None. 1 vote(s) 1.9%
One to ten. 13 vote(s) 24.1%
Ten to twenty-five. 14 vote(s) 25.9%
Twenty-five to fifty. 11 vote(s) 20.4%
Fifty to a hundred. 9 vote(s) 16.7%
Over a hundred. 6 vote(s) 11.1%
  1. I beat Super Mario Bros. without using warp zones on both normal mode and hard mode. :) This was done on the new Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., which saves the RAM when you turn it off, so I didn't have to do it all in once, which would take a rather long time.
  2. I got a staff roll in Mario Tennis for the first time!

(Yes, we've got an LCD tv. My sister wanted one, and my aunt had given us one.)

Now, I probably could've gotten this a lot earlier, because there are only three cups in the game. However, there are a lot of characters, and the game saves for each character the cups you've gotten. So I'd always been switching between characters. :) But I figured that it would also be nice to actually play to the end at once, especially as by now I usually don't have too much difficulty with the first two cups. The star cup was a challenge, though, especially the last match! But I won it on my first try. :) This was in doubles; I wonder if it will be harder or easier in singles! I did often feel like my CPU partner (who was playing Wario) was the better player. ;)

I also spent 44 minutes on one boss this morning... the boss tent version of the third encounter with Knot-Wing the Koopa in Yoshi's Woolly World. That felt like a good accomplishment too, but I just looked up a video on YouTube in order to show it but they make it look really easy. xD
  3. Yesterday evening, I 100%ed New Super Mario Bros.!

When I had almost finished, I wasn't sure what to do still, so I looked it up. I found something that surprised me greatly: I had to beat world 9! :eek: I had no idea there was a world 9! So I played on and did everything I could think of doing, in hopes of unlocking it.
    Turns out there's no world 9. :p I suppose that the thread I found was about a different game in the New Super Mario Bros. series, and I just didn't notice. :p But I did complete it!

I enjoyed the experience of the main game, and I think it's pretty good, especially for how innovative it was. And what a leap when comparing it to the previous portable Mario platformer, Super Mario Land 2! But I did not like 100%ing much. The alternate exits felt pretty arbitrarily rather than cleverly hidden, and what I really dislike is that for both some star coins and some alternate exits, you need to use power ups that are actually not available in the level itself. So you need to find another place to get them, and then go back to the level you were at.
    IronicSwordPlay likes this.
  4. Since this, during the regular battles I have been playing without use of powerups. While the specials were on (3 days of the week), I played as regular—although I started playing a lot more risky, now that I wasn't going for a win streak anymore—but when they weren't, I played the entire match as small Mario (or Luigi, after unlocking him). Doing this made me realise how often I got hit! At the beginning I experienced many early deaths. My initial strategy was speedrunning through the levels, in hopes of finishing the entire level cycle before the game got to the endgame, so that I would then be in easy levels (the level sequence consists of levels picked by players ordered by amount of experience, and you need to unlock levels to be able to select them; hence, the easiest levels are usually at the start of the sequence). However, when I got to the harder levels I'd just die. I realised pretty early on that if, to the contrary, I played as slowly as possible, I would usually still be in easy levels in the endgame.
    So what I had to work on was dodging enemies, and getting good at bounce combos. Because if I wanted to go this slow, I had to make sure I didn't ran out of time. This actually turned out to be very easy for most of the game: I just targeted Attackers at the beginning and sent a lot of Goombas and Koopas, and then once I had got a good amount of time, I'd start going extremely slowly through the levels. This way, the enemies that my opponents were sending just piled up, and I got lots on screen every time I moved a little. Using this tactic, I could stay at 400 times for as long as people sent some enemies to me (they didn't need to send very many, as I was going very slow).
    Then it just came to getting better, and finally being lucky enough to have the others die before me. :) Because appreciate that I was at a grave disadvantage. I had to play safer than the other players, so that I wouldn't die, and as long as the game was easy for me, other players wouldn't die. Eventually, I'd run out of time, if I didn't die before (the timer speeds up as the game progresses).
    Yesterday, I unexpectedly did it, finally: I won a game without use of power-ups. :) I only noticed afterward that there is a statistic on the results screen that shows how many power-ups you've used. For this challenge, I did allow myself to use starmans that were available in the level, because it was about staying small Mario, to me. However, I didn't end up using any during this round that I won. I did collect the 1-1 1-up twice though, just for fun, and apparently those are counted too. :p So I do not have proof of my achievement.
    But here are the last few seconds of the match. :) I was expecting to die very shortly, with Lakitus in the game, but I was fortunate enough to have the other players die to the type of mistakes that I had been dying to for months. ;)

5. So you see, I have absolutly no life so I have over 8k hours on Minecraft... And over 2k hours on gta5... and 806 hours on destiny...... SO yea I have no friends no life and I play to much Minecraft
  6. Oh and btw somehow steve is 10 years old and has a beard.
  7. Wait, really? I wouldn't call that an achievement, to be frank. :p How do you know how much you've played Minecraft, though?
  8. I have a mod type thing on my computer that sees when im active on a game and tells me. I got it back in 2009 before i got minecraft so I know exactly how long ive played
  9. I've just recently gotten into unlocking 100% of the achievements in games. It's been a ton of fun, and something I want to keep doing. Here are my favourite two games that I've 100%'ed:

The other seven games I've 100% completed include: Fallout 4, Fallout Shelter, Refunct, Music Racer, Slash It, Superflight, and Wallpaper Engine.

I'm currently working on 100% completing Planetary Annihilation: Titans, but will then move on to Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim (both original and SE), Stick Fight: The Game, and hopefully DOOM (2016) eventually (although I really dislike the multiplayer mode).

**and yes, I really enjoyed playing Cyberpunk 2077
    607 likes this.
  10. Nice! Do most games on Steam have Steam achievements? (I'm assuming this is Steam)
    DaybreakerMC likes this.
  11. I'd say most do, yeah. What those achievements are and how many there are really depend on the developers though. Games like Wolfenstein have very perk-based achievements, while Cyberpunk 2077 is mission-based. Some games that I'd love to get achievements for (e.g. Among Us, Phasmophobia) unfortunately don't though. Also, while I'm glad Minecraft has its own launcher, I would've loved to have 100% complete Minecraft's advancements on Steam.
    607 likes this.
  12. I recently beat Super Mario Bros. 2 (the Japanese sequel to Super Mario Bros.) on Game & Watch, warpless. I had done this before, on emulator on Wii (I had got it on Wii U Virtual Console for my birthday, but Wii U's NES VC is terrible), but it was still a big challenge. Then I did it again, with Luigi, which was also a big challenge, but it emphasised different parts. :)
    Luigi can jump higher and jump high more easily, and he also comes down less quickly, if I'm not mistaken. He is however very slippery. Athletic parts and hard jumps are a lot easier with Luigi, but parts with tricky enemies and especially castles are a lot harder with Luigi.
    Yesterday or the day before I beat it with Luigi too, also warpless. :)

I think I'm just going to keep playing the game warpless with Mario and Luigi alternating, as I hope to once be good enough to beat all levels in one run without a game over. :D (When you get a game over, you can continue form the first level of the world, in this game (each world has four levels, for 32 levels in total in the main game), and in worlds 3, 5, 7 and 8 I got a whole lot of game overs in this run.)

This game has some really unfair level design, but it also has lots of parts I enjoy. I'm currently making a sequel to Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2 in Super Mario Maker 2. :)
  13. I just beat one of my favourite games!
    It is not very well-known, probably, so maybe check out the trailer. :)

Unfortunately, it is not available for purchase anymore. :(
    I've been playing it through the years; I burnt out pretty easily because the gameplay is pretty repetitive. It is also rather fun, though, so I kept getting back to it!
    When I picked it up again last week (figuratively picking up, because it wasn't released physically), I noticed I was pretty close to the end with 100%ing, and I figured I'd finish it before I'd leave it again. Then a few days ago I completed the last level!
    ... and then I found out that I had something still to get in one of the earlier levels. I couldn't manage to get it then, and had left it for later, but forgot about it.
    So this evening I decided to go for that, and after a while, I finally got it! :D
    ... and then it turned out I still missed some coins in an even earlier level. :p But I had probably just forgotten to get those, as I was able to find them pretty easily!
    So now I'm done. :)

Strangely, a few months ago I could actually connect to the online servers for the game, which I thought would have been down for many years, of course. However, they are down again now, probably forever. It would still be fun to play it in multiplayer, if I had someone to play it with! It's a very fun game.
    Probably won't replay it in single player, though. 20 hours seems enough got out of it. :)
    luckycordel and DaybreakerMC like this.
  14. I beat the American Super Mario Bros. 2!
    In case you wonder why I specify "the American": there are two games called Super Mario Bros. 2; I posted about the other one a few posts up. ;)
    The Japanese game initially wasn't released outside of Japan because it was considered to be too hard, but the American Super Mario Bros. 2 is very hard too! Maybe it could even be considered harder, as game overs here (when you have used your two continues) have you start over the game from scratch, while in the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 you can restart from the current world. Of course, back when the games came out, you'd have the issue of having to leave the console on to be able to do that. I don't have that issue, as I use save states to resume my game on a later session. ;)

I used to think the American Super Mario Bros. 2 was a bad game, but I don't anymore! It's got some trolly puzzles and some very hard parts, but so does the Japanese one, which is one of my favourite games. :p It's actually a fun game once you get into it! I did have to take notes, to remember where the mushrooms were. Mushrooms are a very important item in this game, but they're not always easy to find. :)
    There are some warps in the game, which I found myself and used to get further and practise later worlds, but after getting to the final world and game overing there, I played the game without using warps. I wanted to beat every stage. :)
    And I actually got proof of doing so. :D

As you can see, I beat the game using only Mario. Other characters each have their strengths, but I found Mario to be the easiest to control, and that was most important to me. Maybe I'll replay it later with other characters?
    For now, this is the NES/SNES game that I've played the longest on Switch. It took me almost 15 hours to beat it!
    There is a roulette mini game that allows you to get a whole bunch of extra lives if you get good at it, and I was expecting to do so, but it is very hard. Which is good, actually: it meant I still had to actually get good at the game to win. ;)
    talukegord likes this.
  15. I haven't played this specific game. But if you liked it, the developer has made a few games that look VERY similar. The series is called Trials, the developer is Ubisoft Redlynx and there are 3 or 4 games. It looks like the mechanics are basically the same, just the graphics are higher quality and I imagine more stuff to do all around.
    607 likes this.
  16. Thanks! I've heard of Trials and did look into it when I was finishing Moto-Heroz. :) The Trials games actually weren't released on Nintendo consoles. The latest installment was released on Switch, actually, but it's rated PEGI 12, and I only play games rated PEGI 3 or 7.
  17. Interesting thread!

Well, I'm really a bit of a casual player so not too much to share here maybe other than.... GTAO. I've been playing online ever since the game came out on PS3 and enjoyed myself, continued playing and managed to get to level 550 (more or less), the maximum amount of purchasable properties and around 16 million GTA$ (= in-game credits).

Of course that was all on an old console. January 2019 I got the game on Steam but unfortunately this meant having to start all over again.

Fast forward to today, over 2 years later, and I'm level 460 (= 100 below my old level), I own all properties available in the new game (properties aka buildings and such, not cars) and I got around 38 million GTA$ (and counting).

I'm pretty happy with that :)
  18. Huh, no cross-play?
  19. Nah, the game is very bug filled and they stopped character transfers because people were cheating with those. It's... not really one of the best online games where stability and such goes. But ey, I enjoy myself, which is all that matters.
    607 likes this.
  20. 😦

The years really do start coming and they don’t stop coming eh
    ShelLuser and Egeau like this.