Share Your Video Game Achievements

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 607, Jul 2, 2020.

?

How many video games do you reckon you've beaten?

None. 1 vote(s) 1.8%
One to ten. 13 vote(s) 23.6%
Ten to twenty-five. 15 vote(s) 27.3%
Twenty-five to fifty. 11 vote(s) 20.0%
Fifty to a hundred. 9 vote(s) 16.4%
Over a hundred. 6 vote(s) 10.9%
  1. I beat Rayman 3, on GameCube. I didn't get a picture, unfortunately.

I've got to say, I was quite disappointed with the game! It says 9/10 on the front, and my best friend from high school loves it. I'd played a bit of it and really enjoyed it, and I liked Rayman 2 a lot.
    But there's a lot in this game that just really disappointed me. Here are some points:
    • There is barely any challenge due to red lums (health restores) being very abundant and respawning when you get hit.
    • The voice acting gets old fast because samples are played at random with replacement, so you might get twice the same sample in a row, and if you're in the same area for a while you'll hear the same ones over and over again.
    • A lot of places in the game don't have music, which feels weird.
    Hm, those actually aren't a lot of issues, that I could enumerate. The second and third issue pretty much ruined the atmosphere for me, however, and the first issue took the fun out of it too. It is hard to stay motivated to play well when you can constantly replenish your health anyway.
    This is not a bad game, though! But my expectations were way higher. I do not consider attempting to 100% the game, and not only because it seems very difficult.
  2. A few days ago I passed 100 stars in Super Mario 64!

I rarely used a walkthrough in the process. I remember looking up how to find the blue and green cap switches, as I got a bit stuck without them, and looking up how to put Snowman's head back on his body.
    I will try to get as many more as I can before using a guide to find the last few!
  3. This morning I beat the last level of Ducktales Remastered. I forgot to take a picture, but here's a photo showing my playtime. Nice round numbers!

I quite enjoyed this game. It is very well made! I haven't played the original Ducktales yet, but as far as I'm aware this game is very faithful to the original, and expands on it nicely.
    It's sad that this game hasn't been released physically. :(
  4. I beat Castelian on the Game Boy!

This game was originally released for the Amiga and called Nebulus. It was also released as Tower Toppler, Kyorochan Land and Subline. Why five names for one game? I don't know. :p
    In any case, the Game Boy port is really good, if you ask me! The shorter viewport does pose an issue on some levels.
    I think it took me about 20 hours to beat the game. That is a lot! This is because the game has actual game overs; if there was a password or save system I probably would've beaten it in under 5 hours. I really enjoyed it, though!
    This game is a puzzle platformer that has action too. It is tricky to find out what to do, but then it is tricky to execute too. The levels have a time limit, but you can get extra time by beating a bonus level, most of which are very hard.
    In my opinion, this game shows that trial and error can be a great mechanic of a game. :)
  5. This one's quite late, I did this a few weeks ago. However, I didn't feel like getting the Micro SD card out of my Switch and into my laptop. I now decided to try transferring the picture via another way (not Facebook), but that didn't go great either. :p But here it is.

So yeah! I beat all cups on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (I did Mirror and 150cc as well... in fact, I also did 100cc and 50cc, as I was unaware that beating a cup on 150cc automatically adds the same result to 100cc and 50cc). I actually only needed to do the 200cc Bell Cup still, and the reason that I decided to do so now (well, a few weeks ago :p) is that this month, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC will be released. So at that point, I won't have beaten all cups anymore. ;)
    In any case, I have not yet 100%ed the game, because there are lots of staff ghosts that I haven't beaten yet!
    UltiPig likes this.
  6. I got married in Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, the Switch remake of the GBA game Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. :)

I have been married for a long time in the GBA game (I even posted a status update about it back then :D), and with the knowledge from that game I was able to get married within the first year of the game. :)
    This is the end of the game in a way, as the credits play afterward, but there is very much to do in the game still. I'm also pretty sure that I'll get a kid in due time, as I have one on the GBA.
  7. I 100%ed Shrek 2: Beg for Mercy, less than two weeks after starting it.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit!
    It is relatively short (obviously), but it holds quite a bit of challenge, and the design is pretty cool. 100%ing is mostly straight-forward, but it does require more exploration and more taking of risks than when just playing through the game to beat it. When you do 100% chapters, you get bonus levels which have you aim for a high score in infinite games based on the same engine as the main game.
    Pretty cool, I would recommend it! :D
  8. I beat Super Metroid on the (SNES) Super Nintendo Entertainment System but I don’t have a photo nor do I have the system anymore. But I would love to buy one again.
  9. Congrats! But... you don't have the system anymore, but you would like to buy one again? I feel like you missed one of the guidelines of the thread. :p
    NuclearBobomb and AncientTower like this.

10. This is probably the strangest video game achievement I've shared so far. Perhaps the strangest video game achievement I've accomplished so far.
    I installed a hex editor in Super Mario World on Switch Online. I used no cheats or hacks. I did make generous use of the rewind and save state feature, to carry out the complex tasks of which almost every step is pixel-perfect.
    Unfortunately, I don't really know what to do with the hex editor, now, besides changing my powerup state as I was doing above, or changing random bytes and seeing if anything happens, and I can't even figure out how I can free up all sprite slots again. :p But if you want to try this too, follow this document! I'm open for questions.
    Took me about five hours, spread over five days!
  11. Yesterday I finally beat one of my favourite games!

See my previous post about the game here. I'm talking about the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2, also known as The Lost Levels. I had previously beaten it twice warpless, once with Mario, once with Luigi. I then beat it three more times warpless both with Mario and with Luigi, to unlock worlds A-D (you need to beat the game 8 times for that; not necessarily warpless, but it's more fun). I was then under the impression that worlds A-D would follow the normal game, so I beat it once more, only for nothing to happen except a ninth star earned. :p Turns out you can select the world from the title screen. xD So I scrolled to world A and started playing! I made a profile post about this in February.
    Worlds C and D were quite challenging (but also a lot of fun!), but yesterday I beat the final level of the game!

The video doesn't show any gameplay, it's just intended for those who would like to hear the great remix of the Super Mario Bros. ending theme that Super Mario Bros. 2 uses. :D

I'm sure I'll play more of the game, though! I haven't played through A-D with Luigi, yet, and I would still like to play more of the game warpless, aspiring to eventually be able to beat it without a game over. :) (the title screen also shows up to 20 stars, and I've 'just' got 9 on there now!)
  12. I beat Woody Woodpecker on GBC.

It's a very mediocre game. It's a platformer and features quite large levels, but fortunately most you can run through without much issues. There are some that are more maze-like, which I didn't enjoy much.
    The ending of the game was pretty strange: first something that looked like the final boss, then a shmup sequence (which I don't remember occurring in the game before), and then a very short level with a bunch of extra lives. After that came the final cutscene, which didn't end with a staff rol or even a 'the end': it just went back to the title screen. Because I did want to get a picture for this thread, I then reentered the password that I got after the shmup, and played through that very short level again, to take this picture. :p

I'll also say I completed Dewy's Adventure.

This is pretty clearly complete, but there are also level parts to unlock in the level editor. I unlocked all but two of them. I got the hints for the last two level parts, but despite looking through the levels very well, I was not able to find them. I couldn't find anything about them online, either. I created a question for each on gamefaqs, but it's been two months now, and I don't think I'm going to receive an answer.
    So let's call it done. :) 100%ing was mostly a fun process, although finding the level parts wasn't great. Getting an S rank on the second to final level wasn't great either. It's a boss rush, but it's random which bosses you get, and enemy ambushes, which are way quicker to complete, are also mixed in with the possibilities. Because of this, I felt like I needed to get quite lucky in order to be able to get a good time. Eventually I did it, though; I think it took me a few hours to S rank just this stage.
    Most of the game was quite fun, though, and playing through it normally should be up anyone's ally as long as you can deal with motion-controlled games. :)
  13. Sunday, on the car drive back from Luxembourg, I did an SMB1 Expert attempt in Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania. In this game, you cannot save your progress, and there are 60 levels in Expert, so I only do attempts if I'm on a long travel. I had previously gotten to level 32, and was hoping to beat that this time. I had played it a bunch in Practice mode since, but only beaten it once.
    Everything went so much better than expected! I got to level 32 within an hour, and beat it very quickly, I was really surprised. Then I went on to complete the entire 60 levels. :D

Although the clear time says an hour and five minutes, this definitely took me quite a bit longer than that; it's probably so low because it only includes gameplay time, so when you fall off (which, as you can see, happened a lot :p) and the game displays you doing so, and restarts the stage, the timer is paused.
    I was enjoying myself so much that I decided to do an attempt of the Master difficulty right away, which has only 10 levels, but very difficult ones. I got to level 4! Maybe I'll try again soon. :)
  14. I 100%ed Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition. Apparently I didn't post here when I 'beat' it; probably because when I reached the credits I was already well on my way to 100%.

This screenshot doesn't show much, and the text is in Dutch... but I hope it's better than nothing. :p
    I would really recommend this game! I loved it. One of the best I've played. I didn't like everything about it, but most parts were really cool. The game also has an online challenge mode that is still active (the levels are procedurally generated with a seed, so that everyone plays the same levels but they are different every day/week), and I've been playing that as well. Now that I've 100%ed the game, I'm going to try to look up some videos of other people playing it... :)

Oh, also, here are my stats.

Also in Dutch, so, from left to right:
    Failed tries, Covered distance, Lums (like coins in Super Mario), Jumps, Defeated enemies.
    I feel like me being on such a much better position for Lums than for any of the others shows that I am a good player, perhaps? :p Me being so much behind on Failed tries is too; this was way lower yet before I got into grinding some of the online challenges. I really did not die a lot in the main game.
    Edit: Oh, and a general ranking of 6357th out of 2,702,798 certainly seems good. :D I've got 35 hours on the game, by the way.
  15. I beat Capcom's Aladdin (the SNES game; I played it on Switch).

It's a lot of fun! It's not super long and also not too difficult; plus there are passwords which allow you to restart from the stage you were on. I'm probably going to play it again very soon, to try to beat it without a game over. :) And then try to beat it with as many gems as possible? :D
    Edit: Ah, apparently it's about the red gems specifically! That makes it all the more interesting. :) Then I'm not sure why it says '10', though... I guess I might have collected 10 since the last time I used a password, actually! I did go game over in between, but I had a continue.
  16. Last Sunday, when I was going to play another game but had controller issues, I completed Re-Volt on N64. It took me less than 10 minutes, so I'm not sure why I didn't do it before. xD It had been a long time since I'd played the game.

It's missing from the Progress Table (it's not in the pc version), but I also got all 20 stars in the stunt arena. :)
    Re-Volt is probably my most played video game (yup, more than Minecraft!), but I usually play it on pc, and a fan port of it, rather than the original game. I never 100%ed Re-Volt, though. This is the first time I did so! And on console, which is a lot harder than on pc... the N64 controller took quite some getting used to (the game is really best controlled with non-analog controls, eg. the arrow keys on a keyboard), and the framerate isn't the best. But I did it. :D

17. I 100%ed Spyro 2: Season of Fire.
    I picked this up extremely cheaply, considering that Spyro is a pretty popular franchise. I wasn't sure if this game was going to be too good, but it seems to be one of the best ones on GBA, from what I've heard since. I did enjoy it quite a bit! It had some annoying parts, but overall, it was quite a fun game, with some good challenge. I really liked the map feature on the main stage type, and it was cool that there were two other stage types with completely different gameplay, that both were fun.
    When I'd finished the game, the 'dragon elder' said I should collect all gems and return for a surprise... but I already had them all. I asked a question about it on gamefaqs, and heard that you could talk to a character whom I paid gems to several times earlier in the game to unlock levels, and get them back from him. I did so, and now I have a mini game unlocked. :) I'll try to play through that later, but for now I think I'm going to focus on some other games!
  18. I kept forgetting to post this last week.

I beat and 100%ed Laura's Passie: Wilde Paarden, which is known in the UK as Imagine: Champion Rider, in North America as Petz: Horse Club, and something completely different in pretty much every localisation. :p It is a horse-focused adventure game published by Ubisoft. And it's not bad! :) The game feels rushed in some parts, particularly because it has lots of glitches, but it's also got some cool things that didn't have to be there (for instance an extra stallion that appears after beating all levels in fun bonus mode).
    Some parts were boring, but overall I enjoyed the game!

I also beat Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, which is known as Yoshi: Topsy-Turvy in North America.

It is a motion-controlled game, which I thought I had beaten years ago, but it turned out that there were some levels left to do. I got started 100%ing it back then, and got burnt out doing that. Now I've beaten the game normally and will see how far I get 100%ing it. :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  19. I beat Piglet's Big Game.

Or so I think. It's a bit weird, because I didn't get credits, and neither did one of the two playthroughs that I found on YouTube. However, the other one does... I'd like to find out why!
    But for now, I'll consider this game as beaten, as I've finished all levels. :) This game took me longer than it should have; I deleted a password by mistake once, and my GBA crashed near the end of a level another time. Quite frustrating. :rolleyes: I persevered, though, as you can see. ;)
    This game is incredibly poor made. I haven't done any measuring, but it seems that some areas in the game have slowdown of around 75%. :confused: In fact almost every room in the game has slowdown, which greatly increases the length of the game. At least I didn't get soft-locked anywhere.
  20. I finally 100%ed Yoshi's Woolly World!
    The photo shows only the extras; I've also 100%ed worlds 1-6, however.

I got this game at the start of the summer of 2018, and it has become my favourite video game. I didn't 100% it until now because it was pretty long and challenging, and my Wii U, which this game is on, is at my parental home. Moreover, I liked to play it with my sister watching, which wasn't always convenient to her.
    But now I'm finally done with it... and I hope Yoshi's Woolly World will be released on Switch so that I can replay it. :D
    It's not perfect, but this is a 10/10 game!