Share Your Video Game Achievements

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 607, Jul 2, 2020.

?

How many video games do you reckon you've beaten?

None. 1 vote(s) 1.9%
One to ten. 13 vote(s) 24.1%
Ten to twenty-five. 14 vote(s) 25.9%
Twenty-five to fifty. 11 vote(s) 20.4%
Fifty to a hundred. 9 vote(s) 16.7%
Over a hundred. 6 vote(s) 11.1%

1. I played through both quests in Super Mario Bros. in Super Mario All-Stars, warpless.
    I know Super Mario Bros. very well, as you might know if you've read this thread from the beginning. However, this was still a bit of a challenging, because the Super Mario All-Stars remake plays rather differently! One mechanic I find really weird, namely that if you are big and break a brick block, you continue going up for a little bit before going back down. There were lots of smaller differences that threw me off too, though.
    I played a lot of Super Mario Flash as a kid, which used the assets of this game, and it's still kind of weird to see them in their original context. It's quite a neat project though... made me wonder if they'd ever do something like this again nowadays. :) Probably not! There was Super Mario 3D All-Stars recently, which obviously references this game in its title, but that game included slightly improved ports of the original games, rather than complete recreations with modern assets.

2. I beat Claymates. I actually started playing this game in December 2021 at the latest, but even though it took me just a little over 8 hours to beat it, I didn't get it finished until now.
    That's because I didn't enjoy the game... this is a platformer, with puzzle segments between each level. I barely enjoyed anything of the puzzle gameplay, because it wasn't programmed too well, and felt out of place for me. The core gameplay of the platforming parts is actually quite solid, though! However, the level design is tedious and rarely fun. Levels are unnecessarily maze-like, and feature lots of trap-like parts. I liked the graphics, and the music and sound was alright. Gameplay and level design are most important, though!
    If this game would've been easier, I might have enjoyed it, but as it's actually quite challenging, it was just frustrating. At least it has infinite continues... although it does not have a password or save system, so if you wouldn't be able to make savestates in Switch Online, which I used to suspend play and continue later, I certainly don't think I would have finished the game.
    Hopefully I'll enjoy the next SNES platformer I play on Switch Online more. :D

I also beat Wart in Super Mario Advance recently, but I don't have a picture of that. I figured I would 100% the game soon, and could post about it then. However, it turned out that after beating Wart a new mechanic opens up, and there's a lot more to do for 100% completion than I thought! Hopefully that will be fun. :)
  3. I've beaten Half Life 2 on hard mode.

Some like to say that normal mode is tough at some places, which they may be correct, but hard mode is a whole new tier of difficulty. Coupled with enemies dealing more damage, your guns damage the enemies less (alongside the fact they have more health), and the fact that more challenging enemies are scattered throughout the maps... it's truly a challenging experience. For anyone who is up for a refreshing "spark" to make the game feel fresh to them, take the challenge of locking it to "hard mode" and no switching! >:)

Don't forget to collect as much health and armor as possible before advancing to the next area, otherwise you'll regret it when you cannot go back! :cool:
    607 likes this.
  4. Cool! :D Sounds awkward that you can miss health and armor upgrades, though.
  5. after being on my whish-list for quite a while, I got them for Christmas and I managed to fully complete them in the last weeks.

607 likes this.

6. I completed Shrek 2 on GameCube. I have not posted about this game when I beat it: that's because beating and 100% completion actually took place at the same time. I had managed to 100% many of the levels first try, and then got stuck at the final boss. I decided to try to go for 100% first, because there are three levels that contain a shop where you can buy health upgrades etc. The funny thing is: the second of these three shops I haven't actually found. This was one of the three things that I thought might be very hard to get for 100% completion without using a walkthrough. However, it turns out that you don't need to buy all upgrades in order to reach 100% completion! I'm fine with that. ;)

I quite enjoyed this game. It can actually be played with 1-4 players, and if you're playing it solo, you'll have 3 CPU-controlled characters (you can switch between characters). The game was quite fun this way, but I would really like to play it multiplayer at some point. :) I only have a single GameCube controller, however.

After beating the game (or 100%ing it, not sure xD) you unlock a bonus stage where you fight different waves of enemies that get progressively harder. I beat that, too.
    UltiPig likes this.
  7. Nice job 👍
    UltiPig and We3_MPO like this.
  8. Excuse me for the terrible picture quality. :p

But I beat les Schtroumpfs autour du monde on Game Boy! This Smurfs game was only released in Europe. It is quite good, though! I enjoyed it a lot. It is a puzzle platformer, and the balance of puzzle and platforming challenges are quite perfect for me. I played it on hard difficulty, which does make some things pretty tricky, but I can take a challenge. ;)
    The game has nice variety too, as every level, consisting of three stages each, takes place in one of the world's continents, and the different locations are portrayed in a fun manner.
    What I did find a bit weird is that in the North Pole level, you appear to have to kill seals in order to beat the level. Well, I guess that's what video games are like. :')
    I enjoyed the music in this game a good bit as well, and what I liked especially was that consecutive levels never had the same music. So there was not one track per continent, but one track per stage feel, and these tracks were used for stages in different continents. The soundtrack actually isn't up on YouTube yet, I intend to change this later. I'll probably also record some gameplay in the process. :)
  9. Sometimes there is a lot of time between when I start a game, and when I complete it. I think today I may have broken my record for that.

It's been 8 years, 2 months and 5 days since I started this playthrough of Super Mario 64, and today I finally finished it!
    Super Mario 64 is a great game, I would certainly recommend it. It took me a while to beat it because it has a lot of content, and some things are a bit obscure to find out. I ended up using a walkthrough here and there or asking acquaintances for help (considering that lots of people know the game well!).

... Actually, I just thought of a game that might've taken me longer! I'm not sure, though.
    We3_MPO and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  10. Finally, I just bought Portal 2 and I am enjoying it a lot!

I really love the dynamics between the two main characters and the character development between them (no spoilers), I've already seen lots of videos of this game being played but I've never played it myself! It's quite fun and makes you think a bit about what you're doing.

Currently taking my time with it, but I'm almost to the end after playing it for a good portion of today! :D
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  11. technicly depeding on how you look at it
    this was before emc if kiling the dragon counts as beating the game i migt have killed 30000 ender dragon farm xd

2 ting optained 4 mil emrolds

and for waht for reason i see putting like 100 of those weart endcrystals with bedrock bottoms at my res a achievement some pipel with potato pc still ask why is your res so laggy
  12. Update to Portal 2:

Just finished it and what a great game! It's a lot easier than it appears, it's just the human brain/instinct that makes you overthink the puzzles, making them appear much harder than they actually are! Man I wish I owned this game in 2011, I would have loved it!
    607 likes this.
  13. let me know if you need someone to try the 2-player mode.
    I guess the timezone distance would not make it easy, but we could try.
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  14. Nice!
    Is it family-friendly? I was considering getting it for Switch, until I found out that it wasn't going to be released physically.
  15. I would say yes*

*: but I don't remember evey single thing "Cave Johnson" says
  16. No. It is not G-Rated. It is not Disney/Pixar Squeaky Clean™. Some of the dialogue is pretty crude. Even from Cave Johnson himself...
  17. Perhaps, but I do not play on Steam much since my adult life takes priority over everything else 99% of the time.

A few people from the EMC Discord asked for my Steam information. I hope they aren't disappointed to see I'm "offline" for days, weeks, or even months on end! ^^;
    Fred_TWK likes this.
  18. Not a great photo, but I suppose it's better than nothing. :D

I beat The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie on GameCube last week. I was originally intending to go for 100%, but I gave up on that at some point, for two reasons: first, this game is actually quite challenging, and it would be quite the effort to get 100%, but moreover: for some reason the game is constantly loading from disc, and during gameplay I was afraid it would wear out my Wii. Has anyone else played a game where this happened?
    I decided to finish the game's story but not 100% it. It turned out that it was good I had originally intended on 100% completion, though, as near the end of the game, you need to pay Mindy 50 Goofy Goober coins, which is way more than you'd get while going through the story normally! Fortunately I already had a lot.
    This was a pretty decent game. Not one of my favourites, but disregarding the loading issue, a pretty enjoyable game. And quite challenging!

Now that I've played The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie on both GameCube and Game Boy Advance, I'm kind of curious to see the film...
  19. Last week I beat two games!

I asked Marsipulami: Hoobadventure for my 24th birthday anniversary. It was already sold out online and at many stores, and my sister got the last copy in hers. That's a shame, as this is quite a good game, I wish had been printed!
    I 100% completed both the original game and the free DLC on the hardest difficulty. The game had a nice difficulty curve, and going for 100% completion offered fun extra challenges that weren't too obscure or tough.
    After taking the above screenshot, however, I was still missing one achievement, and it didn't say how to get it. I had to look that up online, and it was rather obscure. :rolleyes: But that's alright. I got it now! Took me about 15 hours, which isn't a lot these days, but I definitely got a lot of enjoyment out of it!
    If the same studio (Ocellus) announces another platformer later, I'll certainly take an interest in it. :) This was their first published game!

I also completed Super Mario Advance.

Sorry for the poor picture. :p I beat the game as my train arrived, so this photograph was taken in a bit of a hurry. :rolleyes:
    Super Mario Advance is a remake/port of Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), but it changes a lot! It makes the base game a lot easier, by adding several ways to regain health. It also adds 5 red coins to each level. After beating Wart, you can look for Yoshi eggs, and here comes the challenge from this version: after collecting a Yoshi egg, you have to reach the finish without dying, or you'll lose it. I'm glad I'd played the original game before on Switch Online, as otherwise I think this would've taken me rather a long time!
    Super Mario Advance is definitely a game I'd recommend, though; it's the last game in the series that I got, but it's quite fun. :)
  20. Here's a poorer picture than the previous one. :rolleyes:

This is K3 Fashion Party, a game that was only released in the Netherlands. I had had it for a year, but after playing it for some time found out I had accidentally been playing on somebody else's save file. Then when I was with my cousins, I gave the game to my cousin to play, and she beat it in one sitting. So I decided I should get back to it to get it out of the way. ;) Took me 50 minutes to complete it. It's a minigame collection, and you can replay all minigames without replaying the story, which is cool. There's no extra content, though, so you can easily 100% this game within an hour!

And I also finished the story of Disney Illusion Island. This is quite a fun game! I'll continue playing it though, as I haven't yet 100%ed it. It looks like I'll need to play through the story again as well, for one of the achievements.