[POLICY] Macro Limitations

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by Krysyy, Jul 15, 2016.

1. If I may ask, what kind of issues were these? (no names of players needed)
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  2. So that means using a macro to craft diamond blocks into diamonds would take 9 presses of a key per stack, instead of 3 clicks and a little movement. Hm.
  3. So for example if I had 18 stacks of diamonds and I wanted to craft those into blocks, I would have to press my macro key twice, correct?
  4. Players shop clicking more than 50, close to 100 clicks per second. Led to SOOO many log pages when researching for a case.
    Players AFK autoclicking for mob farms when we've said time and time again it wasn't allowed.
    Players running multiple accounts at once with AFK autoclicking, running multiple farms and never being online.
    Players auto-trading with villagers using macros that don't require them to be at their computer at all, thus gaining xp and tanking the emerald prices.
    Players auto-crafting items for hours on end while not even online.

The primary problem we have is abuse of the macros while the player is offline. I know of some players that were at school or work and left their macros going and playing for them. This is not allowed and is why Aikar and I sat down and discussed that the true limitation of macros should be directly connected to player input. If you are actively clicking your macro for every stack that you are crafting and every trade that you are making, then we know that you are not AFK and you are putting in the effort required that it's still similar to survival vanilla.
    Kytula, ShelLuser, 607 and 2 others like this.
  5. A macro can only fill the crafting grid and collect the output once per real world click.

Correct.
    WitherDoggie and Kytula like this.
  6. Thanks for that long and prompt answer, it's really appreciated. :)

Good to know I was not doing any of the mentioned "problems". Pitty I'll probably have to limit some of my macros/scripts though. (crafting related, I made a few macros/scripts so I could easily get one or a few stacks of 2x2, 1x3, etc. - just one inventory or a row of input at a time, requiring three clicks)
    Kytula, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  7. Just to clarify https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/rules/ rule #2 bullets 2 and 4 are being clarified here for crafting while using mods(specifically macro mods but, nontheless) Remember it has to be in normal play ability to be legal. I fully support the staff in this clarification, yes it may be easier to use mods, but to an extent that is beyond normal play, to me that is cheating. I love EMC because of its fair play and play your way approach.
  8. It's stuff like this that makes me sad... the community in uproar over a post which is meant to clarify the rules, which I feel is slowly tearing it apart. One day a post is going to be made and if there's uproar in that post, it may be enough to break the community and cause a mass exodus of players from EMC, which it may not survive like it did last time. I don't want to see this happen, and I never want it to happen; EMC is my home.
  9. I don't see an uproar about this, just some players wanting clarification on a rule that might get them banned.
  10. I saw at least 2-3 posts that were totally against what was posted here and actually seemed to be enraged by what was being clarified.
  11. In other words, do not loop a crafting macro.
    MaglorYavetil and Krysyy like this.
  12. Now here are 2 questions that I would liked answered:
    1. What if our keyboard is nearly dead (membrane tearing) and pressing a key repeatedly would cause a it to break?
    2. What if our mouse is nearly dead (click mechanism failing) and clicking a button repeatedly would cause it to break?

I'm actually in this kind of situation, my 'D' key already sticks on me since the membrane below it doesn't push it back up (90% torn) and I've already had to reset the springs in my mouse click mechanisms at least once.

And just to clarify, I'm not against the clarifications, I'm just worried about the 2 situations above where in a human input device might break from such repeated action.
    UltiPig likes this.
  13. Authority, rules, and change will always upset one group or another. It's never going to break the community. We're stronger than that.
  14. Then you need to use a different keyboard or mouse or change your key assigned to your action if it's one letter that is breaking. I have peripherals that still work after years of playing. If you beat up your equipment that badly, you need to type lighter.
  15. Lmao telling it like it is xD
  16. Krysyy,

Thank you for the clarification.
  17. Aikar can attest to my keyboard abuse. I haven't killed it yet though.
  18. I don't think that'll happen, especially not over something like this. Like you said, it did survive last time. And that's when we lost two community favourite staff members at once. If we can live through that, we can live through threads like these for sure.
    Saiviouss and xXBuffa1oXx like this.
  19. Then they're 'enraged' at existing rules, and that's fine. It just might not change anything, if the rules make the majority or player's experiences better.

Also, if 2-3 players being enraged can cause a mass exodus, SSRC would have shut this place down a long time ago. His rants are worth 2-3 of mine.
    willies952002 and BenMA like this.
  20. I almost feel really old now :D

I mean, here I am old fashioned and everything and playing Minecraft/EMC using the vanilla 1.10 client. I sporadically used some mods (voxel map mostly) but after the compass update had kicked in I simply couldn't be bothered with all the extra load & memory use anymore. More than often I don't even use a resource pack :p

Might be something to keep in mind as well guys: there are also tons of people who don't use any advantages or such to complete their goals. I recently auctioned off a DC of coal blocks and it will take me a while before I can do that again, because I'm getting most of my spoils the old fashioned way :p

It's not as if a mod restriction makes playing totally impossible. I mean... If crafting lanterns becomes a burden then why not dig 'm up from a monument? Both approaches would require you to take effort, and personally I think the latter approach is bound to be much more fun as well.

Of course only my 2 cents here. Maybe I should dig up the latest Forge to see if its 1.10 compatible already ;)
    Patr1cV, Kytula and 607 like this.