Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. still waiting...
    (sorry for ze bump, but I really want this to be revived!)
    also, could you add Jenny of Oldstones to that list?
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUlA8Hcv4s
    Electric Light Orchestra - Mr Blue Sky
    Suggested by - Waffle Coffee

Bob Ross has a band eh?
    [VOCALS]
    Very british, the little accents he does when he sounds out of breathe gives it a good touch. They do give the vocals an odd edge, it sounds very weird but very fitting. The melodies in the chorus are great, the touch of the backup vocals, some choral parts and such are much needed, especially at the end when it seems as if a choir opens up. The robotic parts are weird, but they fit well. The touch of variation in multiple vocal parts in different levels of pitch mend very well together, no wonder the song is so great, they executed the rising motion of the verses and chorus perfectly, outstanding production.
    Vocal Rating: 9.1/10

[GUITAR]
    Not very prominent in this song, the solo was fitting to the main melody, but it was pretty simple. Until you got to the end where the song ends and the choir part reaches out, but then again, it's all repeated chords.
    Guitar Rating: 4.4/10

[BASS]
    Literally just plucking away the entire song, which fits with the drums so well. It's an underlying effect in this song, the continuous single note thuds throughout the song with the drums obviously puts the song at a level other music couldn't reach.
    Bass Rating: 5.3/10

[DRUMS]
    Simple, they go well with the base, the same beat throughout the song with a few snare rat-tats here and there, but it's VERY fitting to the song. The cymbal hits during many of the breaks are pretty great, it fits well with the theme of this "psychadelic, futuristic, robotic" world, it sounds a lot like some sort of machine. At the end it does pick up, but over all it remains at the same type of beat the entire song, which isn't bad, it's simple and goes well with everything else.
    Drums Rating: 8.9/10

[VIOLIN]
    A genius idea to incorporate a violin and cello. At many parts the violin was merely a partner with the main rhythm, repetitive strokes, BUT when the violin does play at those open parts it is truly beautiful, those little breaks between the main vocals is great for the songwriting quality, it adds a flare and fills in gaps that need to be filled in.
    Violin Rating: 9.7/10

[KEYBOARD]
    A very vital part in this song, although a lot of it was again matching the rhythm with repetitive notes, it STILL fits. Even then, it matches the song with that weird funk futuristic vibe. A perfect touch, and a beautiful part of the song, well done to them, especially during some of its "solo" parts.
    Keyboard Rating: 8/10

[OVERALL]
    Song is a definite master piece. Everything fits together well, the repetitive rhythm may seem boring in theory, but it truly brings out the beauty of this song. Every verse fits well with the chorus, every verse has its own feel, and every instrument I believe had its own unique part, kind of like their own "solo." It just melts together very well, there's always an instrument playing at the right time, there is never a dull moment and there is always a unique change. I especially love the violin and the choral singers!
    Rating this song low would be a crime, I give it a:
    10/10 and a
    "++"
    607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  3. Very neat composition, the synth underlying in the back is a great touch. The higher pitched piano/banjo sounding sample along with the deeper chords of a piano go well together as they keep trading parts. The "guitar" had a pretty cool trill near the end. The only problem with this song is that the outro was too abrupt! Very simple song though, but also quite catchy and would work well in a video game!

I give it a "=" mainly because I'm not too big on chip music, but I think it's a cool art!
  4. We'll take that as a very underwhelming yes
    SoulPunisher and wafflecoffee like this.
  5. Glad to see Otus's thread still gets attention.~
  6. Ey
    m8
    cmon
  7. I... I cant escape can I..
  8. Outro by m83
    ArkonXT likes this.
  9. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave...
    wafflecoffee, 607 and Otus_NigRum like this.
  10. no

now give us some music reviews

God knows you’ve got enough songs waiting here
  11. i love m83