Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. You answered your first question by asking the second.
  2. Surprised I have never seen this thread before! Love the concept. Will throw in a song from a little Swedish band that I absolute love :). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BQBR_4qvlE

Just because I love the band doesn't mean you have to be less harsh :p Just saying :)
  3. YO GUYS CHILL IM GONNA DO THIS IN A FEW HOURS OK?
    AltPunisher and andra137 like this.
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZG_HKfIz0U
    Disease - Beartooth
    Suggested by: Shyguy

[VOCALS]
    Eh, definitely not a big fan here, not the type of vocalist I would endorse.
    The "oh" parts don't really belong in my opinion and give pop vibes which don't really belong in this type of music. Overall, he isn't bad, just not my style, the calm popish parts aren't really needed. He brings emotion and heart, but again, not what I like.

[GUITAR]
    Pretty cool riff honestly, it especially shines during the breakdowns and fits very well with the style. Although, the modern core/hardcore punk style of riffing is not really my style, especially since it's a modern style, and I'm an old wuss and so I prefer older guitar styles (I don't think I'll change anytime soon, make me maybe? :p).

[BASS]
    I'm glad that the artist chose to make the bass pop out especially in this song and allow it to be heard VERY well, to the point where at some parts where the guitar breaks its rhythms apart and really lets the bass pop right into your face.

[DRUMS]
    I enjoyed the drums in this track, they were one of the main pieces to the breakdown portions of the song and joined within the guitar very well.

Overall, the song is not my style... I know, I have no taste, right? But I can appreciate the drums and guitar a lot, they both work well together on this track and make it 'good'.

Total grade: "="

I will personally congratulate you when you finally get a core song that earns a solid "+"

5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z6rHzry3mE
    Wage War - Gravity

[VOCALS]
    *sigh* I'm sorry to piss you off again, but it's just not my style! I appreciate his wide range of emotion he puts in the song and how he spills out his heart to express his words, but it's just not doing it for me, it just belongs in a pop song, sorry. The subtle growl style vocals in the back do go pretty well and make the main vocals fit a little bit more in the song.

[GUITAR]
    The main riff ain't that bad actually, it fits well and is headbang-worthy, got some industrial vibes to it as well. The backing rhythms to the main vocal parts though.... not a fan. It may push the emotion and allow the vocalist to shed light on the meaning of the song, but it just doesn't sound good when you can't hear an actual riff. Some of the melodic parts were good though.

[DRUMS]
    I liked the drums in this one, they didn't stay back with a mediocre beat most of the time and they added a lot of accents and fills, not bad actually. Really goes will with backing the breakdown riff.

[BASS]
    It's a bass, what do you expect it to do?

Overall, the only thing I really liked about this song was the breakdown riffs. The vocals did not sell to me at all, I felt they were not very fitting for the style of the song and they sounded pretty poppy. Not bad vocalist at all, just not fitting IMO.

Total grade: "-"

6. BTW, does anybody know of any ways I can make my reviews less repetitive? I feel most of the time it's all the same, Guitar, drums, vocals, and bass. Would anyone be fine if I made the reviews a bit shorter and excluded some instruments?

Any ideas?

Also, if you want me to totally rip your beloved song up, just let me know :)

7. Death Grips - Death Grips is Online
    Suggested by: AltPunisher

[PERCUSSION]
    Hm, well... I hate to say this, but it's literally the same drum loop, lmao. I skimmed through the song and with my ultra earsight I heard the same thing... It's a beat I guess?

[OTHER INSTRUMENTS BECAUSE IT'S DIGITAL AND I AM LOST IN THE 80s AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE CALLED]
    It's definitely some sort of digital hip hop. There's a little bit of guitar in there I SLIGHTLY hear at certain points in the song, and it does relax the song a bit, although I doubt it's even a skill grabber. Interesting addition of the keys, gives some weird vibes, just like this song... It's weird. All the instruments blend into an interesting wall of digital sound which doesn't make sense, but molds well to express the style of the song

[SINGER AND STUFF]
    Well... he's not mumble rapping, but he's... faint rapping. You know what? I have no idea what the point of this was lmao. As for lyrics, it's quite interesting. There is no initial meaning, which something most mainstream songs take after, but this time it has the most meaning and mystery while being entirely meaningless.

Overall, the instruments are all pretty whacked out and sound pretty faded, which blends in with the vocal style to give an industrial/digital hip-hop vibey track.

Now, I'm not going to call this song stupid, because if I do I KNOW FOR A FACT, you're going to pull 5 hours of maximum research on me with your ultra researching talents, and tell me exactly why this song made the band bankrupt, and how the meaning could save the universe...

Yeah, I know what you're like...

Grade: "-"
    AltPunisher likes this.
  8. Still thinking you should do This Is Hell by Lorna Shore

Or The Brain Dance by Animals As Leaders.
    Otus_NigRum likes this.

9. Jumpsuit - twenty one pilots
    Suggested by: AltPunisher

Alright, to get this out of the way, I actually like TOP... not a lot, but I would rather listen to them than Nickelback...

[BASS]
    Yes, finally an actual BASS, (not digital) that is dominant in a song. In the climatic areas of the song it really pops out and gives that dirt and grit that a lot of modern rock songs have nowadays. It's just a great addition to this song honestly.

[DRUMS]
    The drums in this track were honestly kickass! The way the drum seems to alternate between different beats is great and makes this song even more worthy of being called "good." Other than that, it's such a great addition to the song and gives a rock-solid tempo that wouldn't be the driving force it makes this song if it wasn't implemented as well as they did.

[VOCALS]
    Okay, alright. I'm impressed with his vocals, although not my preferred style, his mellow tone gives a lot of emotion and makes you actually focus on what's going on in the song. That man has got some damn sharp vocal boxes under that tattooed neck. What's amazing is how this is one of the first songs with prolonged SCREAMING that made it #1. Yeah, those days where you could scream in a song and make it to the top 100 even, are over :(...

[INITIAL MEANING]
    I looked into the meaning, and it's pretty interesting, to say the least. What I got out of it was something about a fictional walled in city, and which the narrator is trying to escape. Although, the city is watched over by bishops and to protect him he needs to wear a YELLOW jumpsuit. Now forgive me if I butchered the story, I know you did 10 more hours on this whole album concept than me.

Overall, the rock bass riff and that drum beat sold it for me. The vocals... eh. I personally don't like it, but it goes well with their music and I see the talent he has, although, not my cup of tea.

I would love to give this song a "+" but BECAUSE I do not see myself listening to this song out of their catalogue (I prefer others) I would have to beat this song up with a "="

Thank you!
    AltPunisher likes this.

10. Aerosmith - Walk This Way
    Suggested by: ArkonXT

[GUITAR]
    Ah yes, one of the most recognized and most kickass riffs to enter rock. Backing rhythms are pretty good, the lead parts are alright, although definitely not the best. The first solo is okay, although it isn't really that good. The last solo is better than the first, has more soul to it, although in all honesty, I can find 100 other solos that can outmatch that any day. The groove and rhythm though is SPOT ON.

[DRUMS]
    I have got to admit, those drums in the intro give this song one of the best intros in rock history. They emit such a raw groove and grab your attention instantly. Solid, steady, groovy, and all types of perfect. Nice addition of the cowbell though!

[VOCALS]
    I mean, it's Steven Tyler, what do you expect from that legend? All of the vocal parts in this song are perfect, except for the chorus when they sing "Walk this way." You may not notice it initially, but someone's voice is scratching all over the place and it's driving me nuts!

[MEANING]
    I know if I said the meaning to the song right here on EMC I would be banned within seconds. I knew this song was about girls, but once I grew older, curiosity got the best of me and I matured, I really figured out what kind of meaning this song bestowed upon us youngins. Honestly, the most classic example of a well-covered up message in history.

Overall, this song has a great riff, and one of the best openings to a rock song in history, although, this song is definitely not the best, and after this song being watered down so much in mainstream classic rock and on the radio, it has lost its initial charm, and this song isn't that great anymore...

But, I would suggest this song to a rock newb "+"

11. wElL aCkShUlLy
    Otus_NigRum likes this.

12. Plan Three - When Everything Comes to an End
    Suggested by: MelleTheHundred

I typically don't like this type of music... but...
    That still shows here :p
    I mean, I can understand why someone would like it, but the chorus seems recycled from other emotional songs. It sounds a lot like what I would hear at my church actually, uplifting music, tear-tugging verses, except this doesn't make me sad at all. I feel like it sounds like every other sad Alt Rock song, but I guess it has an emotional value which many people would like I guess. Just not for me, I felt like the song didn't progress at all through the entire 4 minutes, made me feel bored.

Overall grade: "-"
    607 likes this.

13. This is Hell - Lorna Shore

Combination of the two vocal styles is pretty nice, you get the sluggy demon sound, and the vomiting goat sound, sounds pretty brutal.
    I like the breakdown too, THAT'S WHAT BRUTAL IS. Makes me feel like I have entered a chamber full of dismembered humans with a demon behind me growling. Pig squeals r good.
    Solo was alright, nothing special but it's better than wahh
    I really liked the symphonic touch too, it felt a lot more evil and made it scary sounding.
    Blast beats were pretty good, went along with the riff when they went into the rhythmic parts it felt a lot more brutal and enjoyable to listen to though.

0:59 was my favourite part, perfect arrangement of vocals and that double bass! MMM.

Overall, it was pretty brutal, but not terrifying as you said...

"+"
  14. Oh my God you liked a deathcore song

I WIN ONCE AGAIN, LIBERALS!
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  15. *fumes*
  16. (if I've already requested one of these or you've already done it lmk i don't bother to look thru)
    Mr Blue Sky, ELO
    Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, The Jacksons
    Little Red Corvette, Prince
    Lean On Me, Bill Withers
    Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell
  17. Vacuum tubes will make anything sound natural to the human ears. :)

(Though it cannot make bad music sound good. [Yes, I am looking at you auto-tune...])
  18. How do you mean?
  19. Soft clipping.
  20. Huh, I never considered the possibility of such a technique.