Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. Hello everyone! I'm going to create a new thread which focuses on my review of popular (and unpopular) songs. Hated, loved, ignored, whatever! I will be grading them. I'm not going to be grading them in a usual way though, I will be giving a "snobby" opinion to them, so when you send me songs, don't be distressed if I judge harshly! (Although it's not going to be too harsh, because I love you guys :p) This is a "snobby" perspective too, so don't take me seriously most of the time, it's just for fun.

Please send me in your song requests, and I will judge them myself >:)
    I will grade each with a "++, +, =, -" Plus being I would actively seek the song out again, equal being I would not actively seek out the song, but wouldn't mind it if it came on, and negative is I would actively avoid it.

I got this idea from Become The Knight, a youtuber who does much more detailed reviews, and lets say, not so EMC friendly reviews, ahaha. His channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBIObHID9vYsowPtbYKVdMw Check him out if you like!

I will also be more than happy to review popular bands, artists, and genres! Suggest away!
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMcDg2HwOnM

Ultimately my favourite KISS song, so I may be biased :p.

The music video starts out with your classic 80s neighbourhood. Inside one of the homes, sits two parents and their teenage son, one of them is a rock head, and two are anti-rock, you could probably tell just by looking at them. They're eating dinner and are suddenly met with a drum beat that will literally knock your socks off, and I mean LITERALLY. Seriously, those drum hits are loud, mean, and down to do business, bold as hell! You then hear Gene Simmons, like his typical demon self, screaming HEY HEY HEY YEAH YEAH! This was definitely one of the biggest sellers for me, the sheer dominance of Gene's voice in the intro, with the first line, "Stand up, you don't have to be afraid, get down, love is like a hurricane." Pure bad-assery right there, Gene definitely made this song rock material!

This head hitting intro of Gene continues, until the chorus, where this song's staple really shows. The band in chorus chant, LOUD, I WANNA HEAR IT LOUD, RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES! LOUD, WANT TO HEAR IT LOUD, WANT NO COMPRIMISE!

This is one of the best parts of this song honestly, it catches your attention, it shows straight authority and is great to sing along to, pure genius!

This rockfest continues on for a bit, behind Eric Carr's drumming. The next part features Paul Stanley doing a very impressive roll on the floor while playing guitar, and even though the riff was probably incredibly simple, just tell me, can YOU roll on the ground while playing guitar and still stay in key? Most likely not.
    Here's where I go on about Paul though, great guy, very gentle soft and caring, but there's something about him I don't like. In the music video he seems way too soft and feminine, like he has always been. It just doesn't fit, you have some fire breathing mean looking demon beside you, and you're in some skimpy bright jacket looking at the camera with a soft pouty face. I don't like to get into personal stuff, but from the interviews I have heard from Paul, I can safely say he is very arrogant, soft, annoying, and bratty. Still very talented though, I don't hate him, he just has many flaws which show.

So then the song keeps on going, it gets quiet, then louder, which is a cool affect, then it shuffles into some weird zombie alien type thing in the music video, which is related to the Creatures of The Night album I guess. Final thoughts though, the song is plain and simple LOUD! I love it so much, it is pure rock at it's finest! The drumming on Eric Carr's part is excellent, and infact the center piece of the song, it's heard throughout the whole song, with that constant hard hitting bang that will make you want to get up and head bang! Eric Carr in my opinion is much superior to Peter Criss, although Peter Criss is not bad AT all, it's just that Eric Carr is much better. Not to mention, i'm actually in love with Eric's Fox makeup, I love it! The guitar work was not that big for the show, but it still kept a very heavy rhythm in the background, but nothing special, same for the bass. As for Gene's vocals, I would say it suits the song the best. Gene can bring ROCK to the table, when it's needed, and boy does he bring it. Paul is still a very good vocalist, the best for KISS, but this song was NOT for him, it was all Gene and Eric who took the show.

In the end, the chorus I LOVE IT LOUD! Was very well suited, hard hitting and a perfect staple for the song. The whole song is put together very nicely to make a very bad ass tune that would destroy all of your speakers. In a good way :). Eric's drumming in the background steals the show, and Gene's dominant vocals mold it into a masterpiece. I grade this a "+++++++" I am going to listen to the song right now infact, great way to sleep at 11:30 right? :p
  3. Somebody Else by The 1975 pls thx
    Big__Kev likes this.
  4. OCD by Suicide Silence

Smile In Your Sleep by Silverstein

Stick Stickly by Attack Attack!
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bimd2nZirT4
    Somebody Else - The 1975
    Suggested by: AltPunisher

The music video starts out with probably the weirdest intros I have seen in a LONG time. There's some guy, comes home, his girlfriend I suppose, all messy hair and in bed robes sits zombified on the couch, while he starts unpacking his bags and other things. It wouldn't of been so weird if it wasn't for the weird video taping screen affect, along with the random crowd laughing, booing, and wooing tracks in the background. I guess I could kind of see the message, he comes back to his messed up girlfriend, she probably has moved on in life, and he decides to leave and move on with his life as well. I don't know, just an assumption from this bizzareness, but a good genius bizzareness.

Then the music plays and you get your very typical depressed guy who just broke up with his lover, this theme is incredibly common in today's Pop music, to the point where it's getting quite repetitive and boring. You see him at bars, at a KFC for some reason, looking in mirrors, and wasting his life away on booze, you know, what every guy who just had a breakup would do! It then transitions into him at a club getting his money's worth with a beautiful "talented" young lady who works there (oh boy). I'm not going to get into detail, but they hit it on in a car, in the most detailed ways, (oh boy) and then it transitions to him looking at mirrors again. Over all, the music video should of kept the weirdness vibe at the start, instead of going into your stereotypical breakup scene which HAS BEEN USED IN HOW MANY MOVIES AND MUSIC VIDEOS?

Now, for the music itself I don't really connect with it very much. It has a simple beat that in truth is overused way too much in modern music to the point where you can tell they're just selling the beat itself, and not the music. The singer, who I looked up is Matthew Healy, is not really all that great. Sure, he can sing 100 times better than me, but compared to a lot of other singers he's pretty mundane. In this video, he made sure that his voice had a load of autotune and special effects dumped onto it, which in my opinion ruins the singers voice entirely. Seriously, show us your talent, if you're making that much money, you must have talent, right??

The lyrics are pretty typical of any modern day artist, talking about how he doesn't want her body (shocker, most guys would tehe) and how he only cares if she's with someone else, ya know, basically your typical breakup. In the end, the lyrics aren't very special at all, I see them in every other pop song, just about love, breakups, and money.

Over all, the song itself brings your basic meaning of a breakup, with your typical pop garbage. The vocalist isn't anything special I have heard in the past years, he relies on special effects to alter his voice too much, he should express himself more! The beat is pretty catchy, as well as the melody, but eh, it's the same as every pop song. In the end, it supports the argument that all modern songs are basically the same.

I give this a negative "-" sign.

Thank you for the suggestion, AltPunisher, this in no way criticizes you, just the song :)
  6. I'll also suggest Settle Down, Fallingforyou, UGH!, lostmyhead, The Ballad Of Me and My Brain, Loving Someone, and This Must Be My Dream by the same band :p

I'm surprised to see you upset by the lack of weirdness. The girl turning into him at the end of the video whole they're in the car isn't weird enough for you? 😲

Also it's interesting to see that you took the lyrics at face value. I'd expect a casual listener to do so but it's still interesting to me :p
    607 likes this.
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BHXyYUA3Ew&feature=youtu.be
    [COLOR=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-primary-text-color))]Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama Music: Custom Level Editor[/COLOR]

Suggested by: 607

I could definitely see this on my Video Game music playlist in the near future. The song starts out with a funky bass riff with then leads into more funk! Unleash the funk! The song starts out with a funky guitar riff and a synth at the beginning, which honestly, makes me bop my head and make me want to dance! It continues with a basic drum kick in the background and continues to funk everything up! Overall, the song itself is hard to thoroughly review like with a normal music video, because frankly, all this song brings to the table is pure video game nostalgia and 90s video game beats, which is what I love! Although I never played these older nostalgia induced games back when I was a child, it definitely makes me want to go and pick up that game, insert it into my PC, and just listen to that theme song all day! Heh, not really...

Overall, it's your typical 90s computer game music, filled with nostalgia and a techno funk, but it still brings an element that no other music genre can. If I had a playlist of video game music, I would give this a "+" 100%, but at this moment, "=" sign.

Thank you 607!
    Decklun and 607 like this.
  8. Hah, very interesting, I never fully understood the whole meaning behind the song, but if I did I would change my review on the music video a little bit. Thank you!
  9. This is interesting, actually. :)
    I'm going to try to propose themes/songs that are very different from each other, which isn't too easy, because almost all music I listen to is video game music. But even within that realm there should be a lot of different kinds of music. And I do know some pop or similar stuff as well.
    I'll post another thing later. ;)
  10. Actually, make that now. I was going to play a game, but the lobby is full (online).

I had another idea and I considered waiting, but I'll post it now that this is still a thing. I shared this before somewhere, but I hope you didn't listen to it then. Otherwise tell me, and I'll give you another song from the same source.
    I should explain what this is, but I won't. If you don't know them, I'm very curious about your reaction. ;) They're very famous in Dutch-speaking countries, but as you're from Canada, you might not actually know.
    https://youtu.be/4GOGgTDcbi0 Here you go. ;) (I checked, and you're very new (Edit: Oh hey, I even posted in your introduction thread), so you probably haven't seen me share this before, good :3)

(Edit: You can be harsh if you want to)
  11. I feel avoided
  12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDa6X3rzuY
    OCD by Suicide Silence
    Suggested by: ShyguytheGamer1

As a metalhead myself, who listens to Glam Metal, Heavy Metal, Sludge and Stoner Metal, I can look at this song and respect the value it stores. I never listen to Deathcore, but if I did, this would be a good song to start off from!

The song itself is incredibly Heavy and full of pure metal! The rhythm guitar and drums really make me want to head bang, and I sure did to this song! I don't listen to Deathcore at all, or music with death growls so I can't make proper judgement, but this vocalist is pretty good! He brings an incredible amount of emotion to the song, and makes it feel dark! I love it! The lyrics itself is very interesting, it's very dark and has deep meaning. I couldn't find the meaning behind it myself, but through research I learned it is from the lead singer's struggles with OCD. (Duh Otus you dummy, it's in the title!).

Deathcore is a music genre that is unsurprisingly hated by many, especially pop fans who shriek at the sight of the word Death! They think that it's just noise, and that the growling is horrible, but if you really had an ear for music and a taste for metal already, you would be able to respect the art of Deathcore and the artwork in this song.

Overall, very well written song, if I listened to Deathcore I would love this, but since I don't fancy it, i'll stick with Black Sabbath and The Sword, thank you :p. Other than that, "=" sign.

https://genius.com/Suicide-silence-ocd-lyrics
    Smile In Your Sleep by Silverstein

As someone who doesn't like Emo and Punk variants, I can't really get with this song. To me, it seems very similar to a lot of other Punk and Emo bands, and the genre well, is very similar. I can't explain it, but the song seems very flat. The vocalists and the instruments don't progress much in the song so there are no unique changes in the song, it's just... flat. Nothing much to say here, but I looked into the meaning and it's apparently about jealousy, deception, and murder, with the singer singing about his lover or something. Again, I don't really connect to this genre at all, so nothing much to say here

Overall, the song along with the whole genre brings the same tone to every song, flat, lacking in vocal and instrumental changes. I grade this a "-" sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8
    Stick Stickly by Attack Attack!

Oh boy, I just saw the video and I can see 5 of the same person headbanging. Interesting? Yes. Cool? Yes. Metal? Yes.

This song is probably the most interesting one I have heard yet, not only the music video :p. The song seems to change from a headbanging riff of metal, to a melodic vocalist greeted with a synth??? Very interesting how the band brought different aspects of music and put them into one song, instead of just being a Screamo montage. The genre itself is not my type, like I said before, emo, punk and Deathcore along with some of their variants don't seem joyful for me, although I can definitely see the talent these guys have. I really like the Rhythm guitar in this, it's pure headbanging material, but, the synth and the melodic tunes throughout the video kind of throw me off, haha.

For the music video, damn, I would of loved to be there! I don't understand why every member of the band looks identical though, I don't know if they are actually meant to be that way or if it's only one person in the whole video for affect. Although, that is one music video I would love to be in.

Overall, not my favourite genre, but these guys are pretty good, got good rhythm and bring pure emo to the plate. Headbangable. Total grade, "="

In the end the genres you gave me are not my favourite, like I said, but I do respect it for what it is, and I can see the talent, just like in all forms of metal. Nice song choices! Thank you!
    607 likes this.
  13. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHV04eSGzAA
    Settle Down by Kimbra

The intro brings a very hypnotizing melodic piece to the table, the vocalist is quite unique. What I like in this song is the boppy tune it has, along with a 1930s era vibe. The singer has a very good singing voice, which is unique and very charismatic, I love it! She's also very beautiful, I must add :). The instruments are pretty boppy and make me want to groove, it definitely sets apart from a lot of other music that many other artists create today. The music video is quite interesting, it seems to be set in the 1930s or around the era, and features a beautiful girl sitting down at a table with some, frozen man? I don't understand it at all, but it continues on with more 1930s scenery, dancers, and... doll burning?

This song is very hypnotizing and bopping, and I do find the singer very unique and beautiful in her art. This song, I surprisngly like. Total grade, "+".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JJxS0gNkE
    Fallingforyou by The 1974

This song has a simple, warm melody, soft, yet emotional. It has a hypnotizing beat in the background and good instrumentals. Although, it's not my cup of tea, it seems quite slow and a bit too mundane. Overall grade, "="

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXaU0QzByIM
    UGH! by The 1975

The song has a nice techno funky beat, it brings a sassy boppy attitude, and is actually quite enjoyable to listen to. The vocalist shows his talent well in this song, and I can respect that.

Overall, a pure bop song, the vocalist does a good job in this and it's a song I wouldn't mind listening to. Overall grade, "="

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QiIwk-dk78
    Lostmyhead by 1975

What I like about this song is its warm floaty feeling moreso at the beginning, with that warm guitar tone setting everything together and the lead singer's floaty voice supporting the rest of the song. Near the end, the guitar breaks from its warm fuzz to a simple spacey solo, which truly makes this song stand out better, and from there on, the song reaches more emotion and more volume. What I really like about this song though is the drummer, you can hear him very clearly around the lead guitarists part, and in my opinion was what kept the song going. Good job for him!

Overall, the song is warm and emotional, I like it, "+" graded.

I would like to review more of your suggestions AltPunisher but I only reviewed a few of the ones you suggested to keep the amount of song reviews down and to save me a bit of time. The band isn't bad, but nothing I would actively seek out for. Thank you for your suggestions though :)
    607 likes this.
  14. Now I regret not doing sleepless in Phoenix by blessthefall. That song is good.
  15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QiIwk-dk78
    Ushuaia by K3
    Suggested by: 607

You said I can be as harsh as I want.. so here it goes >:).

This is the most annoying song I have ever heard. My ears are bleeding at this very moment. This song has 0 talent put into it. The beat is literally bought from some website for 2$ and supports the argument that all pop music sounds the same. The singing brings annoyance levels to a level of 1000. Seriously, I never liked non english music because it was always hard to understand and was annoying, but boy, this song MAKES ME HATE OTHER LANGUAGES! Seriously, this is the type of stuff you would hear at some Grade 5 end of the year celebration, it's terrible, it's only good for cheesy celebrations for little children.

Overall, this song is complete doo-doo. The beat is trash, the singing is annoying, and the music video makes me want to go watch a 10 hour montage of Emo music videos to clean my eyes, No offense ShyguytheGamer1.

If I ever hear this song again i'm going to go on an ear cleansing spree and only listen to metallica for the rest of the week. Graded: "-------------" infinite amount of negative signs actually, it's pure cow poop.

Thank you for the song suggestion 607!
    607 likes this.
  16. I will be happy to review it later! ^_^
  17. The Four Seasons, "December 1963 (Oh What A Night)" please
  18. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDxhugRKZ8g
    The Four Seaons - December 1963 (Oh What A Night)
    Suggested by: Sydney_43

Never heard this song before surprisingly, but it's right up my alley :)
    The song features a funky disco type rhythm and melody, perfect for the 70s. I really appreciate the simple, yet much needed drum beat that flows throughout the whole song. The rhythmic bass is so groovy and warm, the guitar is so funky, and the piano brings a perfect melody. All of these perfectly played and timed instruments would not sound as well without the singer, who is actually very good! Around the centre of the song you can hear a trumpet, and more developed funk guitar playing, a beautiful touch I must say, and the plethora of various instruments added in at random times makes this song NOT boring to listen to, it changes cycle very much.

The lyrics are not that special, but still much better than what artists describe as "love" nowadays. From what I can fully understand, the song is about a night the lead singer is memorizing which where he was on a date (or wedding) with a women who really just knocked his socks off. Otherwise, simple love lyrics, nothing special but nothing bad.

Overall, the song has a good variety of different instruments being used, what I really like though is the Bass and the Drum. It keeps everything in groove and totally perfects the song. Not to say the piano or the funk guitar didn't do anything, hell, they did as much as the bass and the drum, but all i'm saying is that the bass and the drum are really the core of the song.

Total grade: "++" I would very much seek out this song again and listen to it more than once.

Thank you for the song suggestion Sydney, I love your music taste!
    Raaynn, 607 and Sydney_43 like this.
  19. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSiK_5uM8QY
    Phoenix by blessthefall

First off, the music video brings a very interesting aspect of a guy carrying around an old dusty television all around his travels and his life, through his hard ships and what not. The song itself is again, not my favourite thing, because it's emo, and i'm not hating it because of that, it's because I feel like emo is very much the same in most aspects, the rhythm guitar, bass and drums usually play the same progressions, and I see no unique change like you would in a Zeppelin song. Frankly, it isn't Led Zeppelin, but what i'm talking about is the fact that it has no progressiveness in the song. The vocalist sounds just like other emo and punk artists, the same melodic emotional voice, which at the point is boring. Sure, I never listen to punk or emo, maybe there are a thousand elements that i'm missing, who knows, but this is what i'm seeing and always have been seeing.

The music itself isn't "bad" and it does have talent and emotional meaning, but 100% not my type, sorry. Total grade: "-"

Thank you!
    607 likes this.