Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. They're allowed so long as you mention they have explicit words.
    ESSELEM and Otus_NigRum like this.
  2. what he said lol
  3. I wasn't expecting you to appreciate it! It is indeed very simple. I obviously like it, though. ;) I saw Herman van Veen perform recently, I got tickets for me and my grandmother. :D It's cool he's still alive and active, as he's quite old by now (I just looked it up, he's 73).
    Ah, thanks. :)
    Ah, that is an interesting idea... I'm not sure how broadly to take it, though, as of course there's quite a wide variety of video game music, even if I limit myself to the 80's and early 90's...

In any case: here's my latest original tune. Composed on Atari ST, which has got a soundchip disliked by many, and loved by some. I'm one of the last category, of course. ;)

607 - Reaping Benefits (the tune isn't that long, it plays twice in the video)

That is my latest completed chiptune and I think it's the best musically, but there's one I like listening to more, because it sounds so awesome. :D

607 - Pursuing Freedom

That one's a lot darker and more serious, and I love it. :D
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  4. I'd like to request a review on 'Ruiner' by Nine Inch Nails. Contains explicit lyrics lOl
  5. I've been listening to him for years. I'm really gonna miss him.

RIP X, LLJ
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwJ8WcZ6RY
    Nas - I gave you power
    Suggested by: ESSELEM

This is why I have given a high appreciation for old school rap artists. They may be behind a simple beat made by some producers but their art is their message, and how they deliver it, and this is a great example. From my take, Nas gives a gun the personification to make it feel too human. Talking about the perspective of the gun in the owners hand, poppin' people left and right, it's brutal, yet genius. Amazing song writing, it puts your mind into not only the person, but the gun, and that makes this song powerful.

Overall grade: "="

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifuj5ynXDUI
    Chance The Rapper - Prom Night

I don't hook with this song as much, Chance's voice seems a bit annoying and the melody although different, is not my favourite either, beat is good though. Read the lyrics, pretty good, interesting and compelling, but I can't find any meaning to this song other than well, prom night

Overall grade: "-"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ProbPpO_8oo
    Desiigner - Timmy Turner

"uhlie idhedo naht jdeifjd nigbyar tunaeh tiemnty" is all I heard... Autotune and mumble rapping... There's not much of a point but alright. Seriously cannot get anything out of this song, lyrics make no sense and have no real meaning, and designer is trying to rap after a dentist appointment. Beat is not that special either.

Overall grade: "-"

Thank you for your suggestions!
    ILTG and ESSELEM like this.
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVo092lWxco&feature=youtu.be
    Klux - Reaping Benefits
    Created by: 607

Quite alright, I don't know what a chiptune is, but I assume it's this style of retro music, as it seems a bit distorted and chippy. Very well written I must say though, you have a good passion and you should follow it. Listening to this song it feels a lot like a theme song that would be featured in an adventure RPG game.. Make one.. lol
    I love the sound affects and the melody in this, good work

"+"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzpRBqBLWeo
    Klux - Pursuing Freedom
    Created by: 607

You're right, it is more dark and serious, and I like it. The drum beat gives an authoritive and dark sound. Great hook and melody, enjoyable to listen to, would fit right into a boss battle, very well written and well made, good job!

"+"

Continue doing this, you are pretty talented with it and I expect to see more towards the future :)

Thanks!
    ILTG and 607 like this.
  8. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkT-aMgZvQI
    Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner
    Suggested by: AltPunisher

Dark and loud drumbeat, interesting "retro-type" tune. Dark, faded and aggressive vocals teaming with the hard hitting drums give a lot of attitude, seriousness and convey emotions. Simple bassline, yet pretty good guitar solo halfway through the song. Very industrial and dirty sound, I like it...

This song is very dark and aggressive. The drums are really great in this song and bring a lot of authority and kick. Synth and "retro-style" tune make it interesting to say the least. Vocals are muddy and faded, but give a chilling feel to the piece. Bassline is alright, and the guitar solo is pretty good as well, both have a muddy, grimy and industrial feel, very nice. Rhythm guitar is good as well.

Don't really like industrial metal/rock that much, but it's pretty good
    "="
    AltPunisher and 607 like this.
  9. Thank you very much! :D
    I'm glad you liked them.

You gave me an idea for the review. ;) It's called 'chiptune' because the possibilities greatly depend on the chip you're using - most computers had different soundchips in that time. I could do a review of different sound chips, perhaps... I think that could be interesting! I'd have to do some research, I think, but that would actually be good!
    Edit: Of course I'd also include a basic overview of chiptune in general. But even retro video game music/chiptune is too broad to review well, for me, so having things to compare is necessary, I think.
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  10. Sounds good! It not only helps you by doing research and learning new things, but it also helps the thread a lot!
    607 likes this.
  11. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk
    Pantera - Walk
    In remembrance of: Vincent Paul Abbot (Vinne Paul) R.I.P

One of the most freaking badass and heaviest riffs in metal, this song is Pantera's most recognizable and one of their best tracks. This song has a really aggressive, catchy, breath taking and TOTALLY METAL riff. I seriously cannot explain it in words without getting in trouble for using vulgar language :)
    The vocals on this song give it a huge punch in the face, it brings such authority and darkness, one of a kind, without Phil this song and pantera wouldn't be the same.
    Great work on the drums on Vinnie's part, although they don't sound very hard to play, they give a steady and badass rhythm, very memorable.

The lyrics I assume are talking about dealing with people who are pretending to be real, meanwhile they are fake. They talk behind your back, and this song is basically telling them to (Mind my language) F off.

This song is such an icon, the most heavy and headbangable metal riff I have ever heard coming from a true legend, Dimebag Darrel, R.I.P. Drums in this song kick some sweet butt too, great rhythm and full of pure talent and heart, great job Vinnie! Great bassline by Rex, great work man, love it. Phil really shows whose boss in this song though, along with Darrel, they both give so much persistence, authority, vengeance and pure power to this song, great work.

Total grade "+"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo
    Pantera - Mouth for War

A truly captivating and heavy intro, Vinnie Paul's drums and his brother Dimebag Darrel's hearty guitar riffs match up in rhythm perfectly, simply amazing, one of the best intros I have heard. Another amazing performance by Phil, in this song he really uses his mouth for war and he shows so much power and persistence. Another great bassline by Rex, he gives a groovy feel to the song.

This song really gives off power and pure metal to the plate, with it's groovy, rhythmic and heavy riffs, along with the matching drums it gives loud energy that makes this song so great. Darrel gave this song such a great solo, it has such a great feel and gives a relaxing switch from that huge riff done before. This gives proof to why Darrel was considered such a great guitarist. Legends never die, R.I.P. The bassline in this song throws in a great groove and gives this song more energy, power, and makes it more heavy. Phil's vocals sound harsh and powerful, the energy he gives throughout this song, and throughout all of Pantera's career mind you give a harsh, yet vengeful emotion, making Phil the perfect voice and heart of Pantera.

Total grade "+"

R.I.P to one of the greatest drummers to step foot into metal, a man who showed persistence, talent, and pure energy. This one's to you Vinnie Paul, have fun playing with Darrel up there man, you will be missed. Although metal may have a gapping hole in it without you, your legacy will fill that hole, and for decades to come you will influence younger drummers and musicians, you will be missed. Rest in Peace Vinnie Paul.

ILTG likes this.
  12. Uh okay, since everyone is asleep, i'll just suggest some songs myself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-ZNU76UDE

Fairies Wear Boots - Black Sabbath
    Suggested by: Otus the Potus

An important song from one of the most, if not, the most important heavy metal album in history, Paranoid. This song is an instant classic, for doom metal and for heavy metal itself. Butler brings an amazing bass line to this song which I CAN NOT GET OVER! The bass in this song IS the song, it holds the song together, and was basically the main reason why Sabbath made it so big. What makes the bass line so great is how it ranges so much throughout the song, how it has so much progression and heart, you can just listen to the bass alone in this song and you'll be satisfied. Hell, the bass line is basically its own song! This groovy bass line gives you that hook that spits you out with amazement. Butler, my guy, you are an amazing musician, without you Black Sabbath would of died right there and then in 1968.

To Bill Ward on this, you truly gave this song such a great structure along with Geezer. The beat is strong and steady, yet gives a groovy and hearty feel. Amazing drum fills throughout the song, absolutely captivating and exceptional, the drums fit perfectly with the rhythm of the bass and guitar, while still giving it's own face in the song which makes it so special, beautiful!

To Tony Iommi, hats off to one of the greatest guitarist to ever exist. This man, even with missing finger tips managed to pull this band throughout the decades with his crushing riffs and amazing lead work! In my honest opinion, Tony is the KING of riffs, sure you could say ACDC was, but Tony is a true legend.
    This song has outstanding guitar playing throughout the whole song, the intro is super mysterious and inviting, it makes you feel almost hypnotized to venture further, but you know that it will be full of mystery and surprises. Maybe a land filled with fairies that wear boots....
    I can't say it enough, the riffs in this song are absolutely gorgeous, and are the type of riffs that will live on forever. Not only are the riffs done by Tony, BREATH TAKING, his lead is actually really melodic and reeling. Just like the intro, you feel hypnotized, ready to venture further, but deep down inside you know it's going to be full of mystery, and possibly danger. I really enjoy how before the long lead part during the middle song the riff that he plays gives a fuzzed melodic sound, but the riffs starts to bend, giving it the feeling that I previously mentioned, you want to go there, but you know it's dangerous. At the start of the third verse and throughout Tony Iommi gives some serious meat! Pure riffage along with amazingly mysterious lead work, you have to listen to it to believe it.
    The solo at the end shows how much of an influence these guys got, it just sort of fades away from a great time tripping out on whatever you just smoked, to reality.

From examining these lyrics I can easily see this is from the perspective of a man having a good time, tripping balls on some "good" stuff!

"Goin' home, late last night
    Suddenly I got a fright
    Yeah I looked through a window and surprised what I saw
    A fairy with boots and dancin' with a dwarf"

and

"So I went to the doctor, see what he could give me
    He said son, son, you've gone too far
    'Cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do"

Kind of disappointing that it was not about a magical fairy land... Hah just kidding, these lyrics are hilarious! Good work to Ozzy on singing, although Ozzy does have a singing voice that I would say isnt very good, I and millions of other people seem to stand it very well, and his singing voice is super memorable, and that's what makes him great!

Overall, this song is one of many legendary Sabbath songs! Even if it may have ties in with substances (that you shouldn't try!) it is still pure art, and that's what makes this song and Black Sabbath so great.
    "++"

13. Genre Review: Classic Rock

Ah yes, the long awaited genre review. I had plans to do this much earlier in time, although I wanted to make sure that I fully understood the material beforehand, it would be stupid to review a genre without full knowledge of it. So here I am.

History:
    "Classic rock" is a radio format which developed from AOR radio stations in the late 1980s to appeal to the older audiences by playing older rock music which typically spanned from the mid 1960s to the late 1980s. The songs that played on Classic Rock radio stations typically were hit hard rock/metal or various sub genre rock songs from the 1960s-1980s, and were intended to appeal to the baby boomer demographic, and younger audiences. Although, nowadays the 45-54 year old demographic is the largest listeners of the "genre". Classic rock stations mainly choose hard rock and rock songs which were the most memorable songs. These songs are the type of songs that will stand the test of time and will stay in the hearts of many. (For example, Living on a Prayer, Sweet child O Mine, Sunshine of your Love, House of the Rising sun) With this in mind, Classic Rock stations stay away from a lot of Grunge and Alt Rock material from the late 1990s because of the overly drastic change in style.

What's the appeal?
    Classic Rock stations play a range of classic hit rock songs from the mid 1960s to the early 1990s, and for the reason of these songs being hit songs, it's not wonder so many people love them. These songs are super memorable, and even if they were created over 30 years ago, they still have stood the test of time throughout all these years, and have gripped the hearts of many.

Why do I enjoy it:
    Just like how it has grabbed the hearts of many for how memorable it is, it has also grabbed my heart as well. Classic Rock is just so memorable and so heart filled, it's actual music which brings a real message, something that will stick with you forever. I cannot forget the best part though, and that's the guitar solos. These guitar solos and riffs may seem cool and such to a regular listener, but every person who plays electric guitar knows how much of an impact these songs have on us. These songs are the reason why we ever picked up a guitar in the first place, they are the core foundation of our playing, and how we play. To sum it all up, Classic Rock songs were not just your typical song, they were heart filled, full of talent, art and memories, the guitar riffs and solos were the innovators in many players lives, as well as the bass, drums and vocals, all of these instruments worked together into harmony and brought forth what Classic Rock is today.

Classic Rock Songs
    Here are a few Classic Rock songs that I feel have stood the test of time.

Official Vietnam Soundtrack basically - Fortunate son - Clearence Creek Revival

Although a Bob Dylan song, an innovation in early rock - All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

In my opinion, this song is the Number 1 Classic Rock song of ALL TIME

This defines Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hgz-q76KtQ - Rock and Roll all night - Kiss
    I have kiss fever, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go - You Really got me - The Kinks
    The originals of Classic Rock, and even the first song ever to use distortion, they did this by slashing their amps with razors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIPxlFzDi0 - I can't get no satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
    Both Paint it black and this song are gold together

One of the later songs to grace Classic Rock, but a pure treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5BuYf8q4o&t=27s - Sweet home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Oh I love you south people

The best ACDC song in my opinion, and in my list of the Top 5 Greatest Rock Intros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47floRRAFs - Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent
    One of the greatest riffs ever... To an interesting fella who is known as Ted Nugent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4 - Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
    Holy crap that guy got range!

This song birthed heavy metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQmmM_qwG4k - Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
    Scandalous lyrics, but one of the best rock songs ever! (Possibly the best intro riff ever aswell)

This song speaks for itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZmKbe5oG4 - Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2 - Pink Floyd
    The reason why Pink Floyd was such an influential and innovative band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45cYwDMibGo - Come Together - The Beatles
    My favourite Beatles song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fAQhSRLQnM - Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
    Just so much emotion in this song..

Alright, I better stop before you all hate me for spamming :rolleyes:

This is only a small fraction of classic rock songs though..
    AltPunisher and 607 like this.
  14. I shouldn't have checked my alerts just before bed, perhaps... :p
    I'll try to remember to read that review later! (and do research for my own...)
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  15. Album Review
    Killing Is My Buisness...And Buisness Is Good!
    By: MEGADETH

WARNING: ALBUM HAS EXPLICIT CONTENT THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUNGER LISTENERS

Ah yes, the very definition of Thrash, and an album I suggest any beginning Thrash Metalhead listen to. Killing Is My Buisness is the debut studio album by American Thrash Metal band Megadeth, released on June 12th, 1985 by Combat Records. Looking past the questionable Title and album art, (and lyrics mostly) this album is one of the most important Debut Thrash albums, and it brings forth a huge amount of talent, dedication and vengeance, and was written by Dave Mustaine to make a comeback against ex band Metallica, who had previously kicked him out. As you can imagine, Dave was pretty heartbroken, being together with three of his best friends in Metallica, starting to take over the world, and then being kicked out, and forced to take a 4 day bus ride to the other side of the country, with all that regret, hatred, sadness and vengeance, he came up with this. This album was a comeback, and it showed his hate and revengeful attitude towards Metallica. (Although they are on good terms now).

With this in mind, Mustaine was fueled to be the best, fastest and darkest Thrash metal band to ever grace the earth, and it sure as hell worked out. To say it clearly though, this album, although with a huge amount of talent, meaning and spirit, lacked a proper production, and that was one of the reasons why Killing is my Buisness never became "The best thrash metal album" although it sure as hell was one of the most important debut thrash albums in history. The production was incredibly weak, and the playing was uneven,
    "You can hear the tempos shifting around depending on whether it was a 'herion take' or 'cocaine take'" David Ellefson admits. Although the songs weren't as developed as they were in Mustaine's head, they sure showed a huge amount of vengeance, attitude and spirit, and THAT's what made this album so unique. This poor production was the cause of the band's early experiences with hardcore drugs, and Dave even admits they were given $8000 dollars that would go towards the album, although $4000 of it was spent on drugs and hamburgers.

This album, although with poor production, showed the world what fast and heavy meant, and they sure did. What's funny though is how Drummer Gar Samuelson, and Guitarist Chris Poland were grounded within funk and jazz fusion styles of music, much different from the heavy metal sound David and Dave had themselves grounded on. Nonetheless, Gar and Chris brought a unique icing to the cake which was Megadeth, and gave the album a swing and nimble feel to Mustaine's lightning fast riffs, which in turn made Megadeth a whole new type of metal from their thrash metal peers. This album is my favourite Thrash metal album, because of the sheer amount of attitude, style and spirit. The incredibly fast playing between all instruments is jaw dropping, and pays a huge credit to what Thrash metal really is.

WARNING: FEATURED SONGS CONTAIN EXPLICIT CONTENT

Last Rites/Loved to Deth

This song has a disturbing meaning, which you can look up yourself, but it takes after a 'if i can't have you no one can' theme, except more way more dark and disturbing.
    The song opens up with a dark, sort of cathedral Gothic style piano, very creepy, yet melodic indeed. It slowly builds up and totally combusts into incredibly fast tempo and lightning fast guitar playing. This song is really weird as I don't know if it's intentionally, but the timing on each verse is TERRIBLE. Nothing matches up properly and it seems like a mess. Although, I must say the drum fills on this song are to DIE for, seriously, they're fast, and thrashy, it sounds like they're murdering that thing! Same with the bass, David is just friggen shredding that thing to pieces, i'm doubtful it still exists. That lightning fast rhythm by Dave though is just, perfect! It's super fast and thrashy, yet holds a steady rhythm and keeps the attitude. Vocals on this are pretty muffled and drowned out, and probably for a good reason for some listeners, as those are some questionable lyrics! Other than that, Dave's vocals sound very bloody and give an emotion of regret, good on him. Overall, this song has an immense amount of talent put into the playing, although the production and timing is awful.

Killing is my Buisness...And Buisness is Good!
    Such a memorable and truly great opening riff, followed with a much more clear and understandable vocal track. The rhythm guitar in this song IS FAST, I can't explain it properly, but it's fast, and brings so much attitude and "badassery." The bass in this song brings such groove and gives a violent pop, it's something I live for, it sounds like muffled explosions in the distance. The drums in this song sound very erupt, steady and punchy, those drum fills though, and those cymbal hits, I LIVE FOR IT! The solo is fast and what I would expect from a Thrash song, fast, steady and full of attitude. The lyrics are influenced by The Punisher comics, basically a hit man killing for buisness; boy, those lyrics are brutal. What really makes this song great is that riff, along with that double bass and guitar riffage at the intro.

The Skull Beneath the Skin

Even though the intro has a very scattered and struggled sounding lead, it still gives an attitude and chaos element to the song. The riff in this song is a bit more relaxed, yet kicks into speed throughout the song and gives that Mustaine element. The duel guitar harmonics at 1:53 give such chaos, yet give a killer vibe. Must I mention, that bass solo at 2:20, although short, was FRIGGEN DOPE! It gives me chills every time. Not to mention the bassline in this song is very well heard and gives such a darkness and explosive feeling. At 3:19 I can't make out what that is, but I'm pretty sure the bass just popped a blood vessel and let the lead guitar handle the rest. The drums in this song were super kicky and gave such authority and sternness. The drum fills were full of spirit and attitude, I love it! Dave's vocals seem so snarly and scoffy, they give such disgust, I love it!
    AltPunisher likes this.
  16. Pt. 2

Rattlehead
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtrnztbMTHE

Such a melodic and dark intro, those melodies have such a vibrant and dark feel. At the third verse, after the melodic riffs and harmonizing lead work, the vocal melodies really stood out and gave such a memorable hook to it. The drums in this song are FAST, just listen to those lightning speed drum fills and those cymbals hits, and even that duel playing with the bass near the end of the song just before and during the last solo. The outro drum beat seems to wrap the whole song up and spits you out with such might, it sounds just like explosions going off doesn't it! The bass in this song is very fast and shines perfectly when it duel plays with the drums near the end. This whole song has so much stuff going on. With the melodic and harmonizing lead riffs at the beginning of the song, to that groovy third verse, it just kicks into motion the rest of the song which features total chaos! Duel lightning fast bass and drums, a riff that sounds just like a solo, and Dave's bloody vocals, it just fits perfectly well, and is my personal favourite. The meaning, I assume must be related to headbanging, like come on, it's literally talking about snapping your neck and headbanging until you bleed.

Chosen Ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzr_nOu8HRc
    Lets just all take a moment to appreciate that opening riff. Holy crap, words can't describe how great that was. The 'riffage' in this song is super bloody and fast, if you're looking for the definition of thrash, just listen to that and you'll get the memo. At 1:14 it opens up into a solo, which I enjoy a lot, it's killer fast and escalates and progresses a lot. The bass line in this song is super explosive, at times in the songs it seems to almost pop. That bass solo at the last verse, wow. You have to listen to it to understand how amazing that was. The drums in this song are absolutely fantastic as well, such a steady and killer beat, loud and proud. Those drum fills though, that's what gives this song the sheer attitude and groove it has. Just listen to the outro and how it almost sounds like explosions going off, same feeling at 2:09. This whole song is one of my favourites of this track, just pure rhythm and great riffs, such a badass song.

Looking Down the Cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-Oor9GTII
    Such a mysterious, an occultic/dark sounding intro, lots of great melodies and harmonies though, along with a slow drum beat which mimics a heart beating. This song is surprisingly slower than the rest. It really focuses on the complex guitar harmonies and the steady beat of the drums and the pulsing of the bass. At 2:40 Dave starts his verse with very dark and disturbing vocals, along with more rage and force. He really gives this song a lot of meaning, and gives this song a lot of rage. The solo in this song has so much emotion, maybe not like you would hear in a David Gilmour solo, but it has the feels for a technical solo. If you look at the lyrics, you can see so much thoughtfulness and see the true writing talent of Dave Mustaine. This whole song gives such great emotion and serious feel to it, other than the other songs which were related to violence and killing. This song is about how Dave Mustaine grew up in a Jehovah's Witness household and how he was seemed to have been brainwashed. Although it's ironic, considering Dave has been a born again Christian for over a decade now.

Mechanix
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mMjlPn0Jg
    This song by the way, is similar to The Four Horsemen by Metallica, mainly because Dave Mustaine wrote The Four Horsemen before he was kicked out of Metallica. Not wanting to let his song go to Metallica's hands, he wrote this. Note, the lyrics are very suggestive, and if you look into them closely you will notice a lot of love ahaha. The intro riff and those explosive drums are the formula for a great song, which this is! The drums in this song have such an explosive and authoritive sound to them, the drum fills in this song are STUPID GOOD, seriously, they are sick as hell! The rhythm in this song is killer fast, especially filling between the verses with that chugging sound, super fitting, super THRASH! The bass line gives that same chugging sound and is basically the socks of this song, without it, it feels naked. Overall, the solo in this song and the guitar work are friggen badass, great harmonies and melody, and such an authoritative sound.

These Boots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKYYiYcr21Q

Wetf is this? This isn't Megadeth? Oh yes it is... Holy crap these guys really outdid themselves, I know it's a cover, but still! They managed to keep a funky/boppy melody yet overlapped it with an AMAZING bassline which totally shreds! There's also a punchy drum beat with murderous drum fills, and a fusion of Thrash and funk/bop guitar playing. That whammy bar dive at the beginning of that solo, and that shredding, holy crap! It just blows my socks off, how can these guys bring such a heavy Thrash sound to a bop like the original song? They have perfect rhythm, a fast speeded and poppy bass line, fast as hell drum fills, and heart piercing solos, this song is just amazing.

Yes, that was long, and it did take me about 2 hours to write, BUT I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did while writing it. What this album brings is such chaos and metal to the table, and its what makes reviewing it so fun! There's so much going on, it's easy to pinpoint, and whatever happens is unique and badass in it's own way, with that, thrash metal like this where instruments are actually played, and played properly are the best to talk about. The bass in this album I feel has such a fast and aggresive flow, and at some times it sounds like it's blowing up it's own blood vessel with the pops I hear throughout these songs. The drums are punchy and super violent. The drum beats throughout the song are steady punchy, but once those drum fills kick in, all hell breaks lose, and THAT's what makes Thrash so special, those drums fills man... So much attitude, aggression and violence (violence as in violence towards instruments. #StopInstrumentViolenceToday)
    The riffs in this song are special, and what make Dave Mustaine my personal favourite guitarist. He plays rhythm like lead, and he brings forth lightning quick speed, attitude, style, technical skill, and lots of harmonies and melodies, along with Chris Poland, they both brought such an immense amount of emotion and harmonies into their guitar playing. This album overall has a ton of stuff going on, and all that's going on is great.

Favourite song from this album: It's hard to say, but it's gotta go between 'These Boots' 'Mechanix' and 'Chosen ones' although I love a lot of these songs!
    Album grade: The best Thrash metal album? No, not really. Best Thrash metal debut album? One of, yes, although I have to admit the production sucks, and every song seems very messy and poorly mixed in terms of studio work, but in terms of the music itself, perfect performance, full of talent.

Probably my 3rd favourite Megadeth album as of now. "+"
    AltPunisher likes this.
  17. So I can't help but request multiple songs because I love my music so that being said, do as many or as few as you'd like. (And I encourage you to be as "snobbish" as you'd like

THESE SONGS ARE EXPLICIT:

1.) The first is a trippy Childish Gambino track that isn't as popular as his more mainstream songs like Redbone and This is America:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FIyIIVB8MM

2.) [VERY EXPLICIT] Second song is a diss track featuring a good number of rappers I listen to. I know a lot of metal heads who love to hate on rap so I'm testing your limits :p :
    https://youtu.be/FKkdfccMo_s

3.) I want to list so many more but this will be my last. A huge part of my love for this song comes from the music video because I am a major film editing buff and it's VERY well done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNzc6hG3yN4
  18. ll. Zealots Of Stockholm
    Suggested by: Decklun

The beginning of this song is pretty boring, the vocals are pretty drowned out, and the sound effects just make me want to fall asleep, but turn it off first.
    The electronic snare is pretty good, but it's modern rap/r&b so I have heard it too many times. I would associate this song a lot with an experimental/psychadelic rap element. Lots of trippy hypnotic sounds, along with a really simple mundane beat. This song is pretty lacklaster if you're account for the instrumental, but the vocal track does make up for it, slow relaxed and full of meaning which I still have yet to find. I'm not going to diminish the song though, it has a lot of meaning and depth, although I think it's slow and boring. "-"

Denzel Curry - SPACEGHOST... okay
    Suggested by: Decklun

Yeah, just garbage disguised with a catchy beat. Typical of all rap songs nowadays, what sells isn't the music itself but the beat, probably the only thing actually worked on in this song. Lyrics are not a surprise, just something that came out of their own buttocks. Your typical cussing which I don't have a problem with, but all it does is give a strong bark, but in the end these rappers have a weak bite. All I got from those repetitive lyrics was pokemon go, princess peach and his grandma poking him on facebook. Yeah, nothing worth here ranting on about.

19. I love this. :D

I also read your classic rock review, and am listening to some of the songs! Good stuff.
    Otus_NigRum likes this.