Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. That's great :D
  2. did anyone actually read my album review
  3. I'm afraid not, it seems like usually people only read the posts that respond to their own, in this thread... and I read most others too, but not this one as it's very long and about explicit content.

It's been a while since I suggested anything!
    It's the turn for music with lyrics... but this actually does come from a video game. :D

I'm sharing two of the nine songs from Jungle Book Groove Party. Please don't pay attention to the Dutch "Oké jongens, dansen maar!" at the beginning of each, I couldn't record the songs without that, and it's a part of the video game, not of the songs itself. :p

Run
    https://youtu.be/Da9KgfvaSdo

We Are The Vultures
    https://youtu.be/3bbgvA70Cjc
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da9KgfvaSdo&feature=youtu.be
    Run - Jungle Groove Party
    Suggested by: 607

I don't understand what's going on... But I really like the super fast paced percussion and rhythm of the song. Lots of jungle vibes coming from this. Interesting melodies, this song has a thrilling anticipation feel which is pretty powerful. The vocals are dark and sound too much like a murderer. You know what, this whole song is about a murderer tiger isnt it?

"="

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbgvA70Cjc&feature=youtu.be
    We are the vultures - Jungle Groove Party
    Suggested by: 607

I'm sorry... wetf is this LMAO. Okay, pretty boppy instrumentals, seems a bit like an electronic tropical house party... That should be a genre actually :rolleyes:
    That chorus doesn't make much sense either, I know they're vultures.. WHAT?
    Anyway, lots of tropical funk and groove, very boppy and catchy, except that vocal chorus and melody I can't get behind lmao.

"="

Billy Idol - White Wedding
    Suggested by: Sydney4363

I really like that melody a lot, really catchy and memorable. Especially that chorus "It's a nice day for a, white wedding," the way he sang that whole part made this song really memorable and catchy. The intense vocal changes he does during the main parts of the song convey a lot of melody and uniqueness, lots of authority in that. This song's intro is really classic as well, it's so well known, I have heard it so many times throughout pop culture but never knew what the actual song was. I like the steady down picking in the background, as well as the chord progression, solid guitar playing. The bass is pretty explanatory, it keeps a steady rhythm. The drums although keep a very simple beat within the background, it does progresses with some pretty powerful drum fills. Steady and flowed instrument playing in this song.

Grade: "+"

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

That opening riff is a simple, yet memorable one, a lot of people can pick up on it. Great use of the organ in this song, gives such a unique flare to it which made it unique from other songs of its time. Solid and ticky cymbal hits throughout the song, very unique, I haven't heard many songs which focus more on the cymbals than the actual drums themselves. I kinda like those guitar chords throughout the song, although simple, the twanginess of 60s folk electric guitars are fun to listen to, and that with the organ give this song such emotion. Vocals are done perfectly and timely, I don't know his name, but he has a strong voice with perplexing range. This whole song wouldn't be so baffling and classic as it would be if he wasn't the frontman. Another 60s folk classic, another song that will stay in the hearts of many.

Grade: "+"

Strange for a metalhead to like this, but I really do! The song has such a playful and trickster feel to it I love it! That xylophone/keyboard was great! It gave off the playful and trickster sound that this song has, and so it made it really powerful! Those drums give off a blaring thunder sound, super effective and make this song feel so much more vibrant and full. I love those violins as well, they give very fast and structured taps. (so sorry, I'm not very knowledged on Classical music terms, you'll have to ask Diveiana about that) I love the falling drop sound that the trombones give with the keyboard. The trumpets blaring sound give this song so much anticipation and climax, I love it. Who said metalheads don't like classical music?

Total grade: "+"
    Sydney4363 and 607 like this.
  5. How about blink-182's "Dammit"? (contains explicit content)
  6. Haha, have you not seen the movie?
    I agree with all of your observations. I wanted to add I really love this bit of the lyrics:

You humans are all the same,
    on the world you think you reign.
    But now the hunter is the hunted
    as you've become my game.

Isn't that incredibly beautiful?? :D
    Yes, it's quite a goofy song. :p I think in the movie the Vultures were a parody of the Beatles, but I'm not sure if that's the case in the video game too (both of these songs weren't in the movie, and were made for the video game).
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  7. I've been doing research for my overview the past half hour, and realised I'll need to upload some YouTube videos... some of my favourite tunes aren't on YouTube in good quality yet, and if I want to list them as an example, I will have to upload them first. :p
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  8. Good luck!
    607 likes this.

9. Greta Van Fleet - When the Curtain Falls [BRAND NEW SINGLE!]

[INTRO]
    Something I have been waiting for, for a while, some new material from Greta Van Fleet! I'm going to have to say this though, I was expecting a different sound, but i'm not disappointed. So, lets just get right into it. The intro is pretty interesting and I say typical for rock songs, as it starts with the clicking sticks and the voices in the studio counting down, but I still like it. That's what I've always thought was interesting, when bands decided to add random studio moments in songs, such as talking, laughing, or other human voices in the intro, outro and even between the songs. This is prevalent in a lot of art rock, especially Pink Floyd.

[GUITAR]
    That guitar just totally rips up that intro, the riff is great and I can sense a lot of early 70s rock influences. My ears do sense a mistake in the rhythm playing at 2:01, when the guitar gives a scratching sound, although from previously listening to an interview featuring Jake (the guitarist) he mentions how he doesn't care about human error within the recording, and he actually feels it makes the song more human and emotional, something that root blues music gave a lot of. Now going off topic, this is why modern mainstream rock and pop music are becoming more and more less enjoyable. They are too perfect. Now don't get me wrong, you do not want to just make your song a complete mess with bad timing, but small unnoticeable errors hidden to the casual listener give off such a human feel, it's not a robot's song, it's a person's song. That solo though, it just fricken shreds, something I wish modern guitarists would include, but unfortunately they prefer distorted guitars and simple grooves. That's what I miss about old music, the guitar solos, even in 80s' pop like in Beat It, the guitar solos are amazing!

[DRUMS]
    The drum beat throughout this song has a really steady punchy sound. Great drum fills, love how the drums really start to progress and pick up towards the end with a lot more force and ease within the playing. I like the subtle yet spicy shakers (no food pun) which play throughout the song, it really shows that Rock n Roll is not just guitars, drums and bass, it has a lot more rhythmic and percussion values.

[BASS]
    The bassline pops out a lot and gives such a pleasant rhythm and groove. Something that's underestimated, the bass is clearly heard, although never recognized by the casual listener. You can hear throughout the song the bass pauses through measures a bit and it gives such a cool effect, almost like the peace you get when you reach the top of a roller coaster drop. Nonetheless, it just pops right back in and gives steady rhythm and groove. I really like the bass riffs in this song, really under appreciated, great job to Sam on this.

[VOCALS]
    Holy crap, I must say that Josh's vocals in this are KILLER! I feel like he gave his all and much more harshness with this single, much more than their debut album From the Fires. His vocals are a living flame, they produce so much emotion and expression, he's a tiger! His wails for his age are incredible, I don't know any other singer nowadays which can do it like he can. Hands down the best vocalist in the rock community in our day and age, fight me on that one. He does sound like Robert Plant, it's no lie, although I detect a lot of blues roots influences, pure rock and roll, and if you are going to compare him to Plant, I would say Plant has a more romantic and charismic voice, which even though is a little softer than Josh's, he still totally rips everything up! Plant is no voice you can explain fully, it's too unique. With Josh I can say the same thing, it's unexplaineable. Although, you can hear more of a younger voice within Josh which brings more wails and more explosive fire, although you can not compare the two, Robert's voice is legendary.

[OUTRO]
    With that said, this single is a great way to tease us with the upcoming album and I am super excited! In this song I can hear such an improvement from their other stuff, Josh's vocals start to pick up a much more explosive nature, and I love it! Pure rock n roll, although, seeing how a lot of other legendary vocalists have lost their voices overtime due to improper vocal techniques and pure screaming and harshness (Plant, Paul Stanley, Axl Rose, etc.). I really hope Josh will still be ripe and fresh even in his 70s! It's so amazing being as young as I am and listening to Rock music from the past and seeing all those rock stars now who are all old and withery, and now watching a new group of musicians break their way through the mainstream. It's so cool to be able to grow up with these young musicians and hopefully grow old with them, just like how a lot of older people nowadays reminisce about how they grew up listening with those old legends. I can't wait for what the future holds, God bless Greta Van Fleet!
  10. By the way, to the people who still read this thread (I highly doubt people care anymore) do you prefer the simple paragraph blocks, like so:

paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph

paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph paragraph

OR, do you prefer what I previously did with a layout such that follows:

[GUITAR]
    blah blah blah blah blah

[DRUMS]
    blah nblblalh

[LEAD GUITAR]
    blah blah lbhal bhalh

The first option would just punch in everything together without much of an organization, such as mixing in vocal review and guitar review together since both separately would be smaller paragraphs, or do you prefer having the organization with the [GUITAR] indicator, which would probably make it more easy on the eyes to read.
  11. Option 2
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  12. I'M BACK IN BLACK BABY!

Dj Khaled - Brainer ft. a lot of other people who i dont care about

[DJ Khale Pants]
    The opening is just awful annoying sound effects, a movie set, and DJ Khale pants over here spitting out nonsensical words again. "We the best music!" "Another one" "DJ Khaled!"
    How the hell is this guy so popular, all he does is star in random music videos and say his name... that's all. He also likes to say random words like "put em high" throughout the music video to make everyone who forgot that he existed 2 seconds ago remember that he still exists as he flaunts his ego.

[Justin Bebeer]
    I think Justin has a pretty good voice, although i've heard the vocal style a lot, so nothing special. To be honest, Beebs looks a lot like some old truck driver with a sweaty mullet. Not to mention his terrible sense of fashion, wearing sweat clothes is not fashion, but I wouldn't expect a truck driver to know that.

[Quavo]
    Holy crap man, if I had a dollar for the amount of talent this guy has I would be in debt. Nothing but audio tune, he can't sing, he can't rap, and he can't convey any emotion that contributes to music.

[The music]
    Yeah, I skipped Chance the Rapper, because there's no chance i'm talking about him. Okay, to be fair, and to be unbiased, the music composition sucks. Typical pop ya know, finger snapping in the background, some loud ass bass, some high pitched annoying voice which needs to be punched out saying "nuh nuh" in the back. Hey, it's industry commercial crap! Welcome to music nowadays my friends, all we got now is dance music, no longer do you need a brain or anything to actually listen to music, just feel the vibrations of the bass, dance to it, and wow! This song already has 500 million views and your networth is already at 5 billion within 1 day!

[Conclusion]
    I only reviewed this song because it's just another laughable piece of crap, took 2 minutes to write, and 3 to produce.
    Looking at the lyrics I can see it's just another pop song. You have your simple formula of a counted 25,000 "yeahs" a lower numbered 16,650 "oo's" and a total of 500,000,000 brain cells lost! Oh boy, it's a pop song alright!

Judging by the lyrics, and judging by every pop song, it's about some loser telling his girl that she can hang with him except for the other dudes, because it's a "no brainer." But here's what's even more laughable:

"I blow the brains outta your mind (ooh)
    And I ain't talkin' 'bout physically (no)
    I'm talkin' 'bout mentally (talkin' 'bout mentally)"

No shart sherlock, of course you're not blowing her brains out physically, this is a pop song, not a metal song!
    Just look at the lyrics, it's a bunch of repeated words and flexing to some girl they picked up on the street. Nothing special here, I don't even need to give it a grade, you already know it's a big phat:

------------------------------------

Anyway, give me some more suggestions, we are pumping life back into this thread!

weeh likes this.
  13. Did you make this picture?
  14. no, I found it on reddit
  15. Aw, okay. I thought that might be the case, as it's so low-quality. I do like it!
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  16. Well, this thread is totally dead... If you want to suggest a song, you can, but I know that aint going to happen because no one gives a crap about this thread.

That's all folks!
    ILTG and 607 like this.
  17. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel
  18. okay I got some new stuff you may or may not like

Black Flame - Bury Tomorrow

Thank God It's Friday - Ice Nine Kills

Disease and Bad Listener - Beartooth

Refuge - In Hearts Wake

Gravity - Wage War

Take your pick my friend, I recommend Disease, Gravity, and Black Flame personally, but you may make your choice.