Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. I have no idea what to say, because I have no idea what is going on
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Sk-U8ruIQyA
    gandson - Blood // Water
    Suggested by: fluffinator09

The vocals don't get me at all, too much of a radio affect, seems too artificial. Very heart thumping and catchy beat, especially the beat drop around 1:00.

The song has a really great bassline and an amazing beat. Very heart pumping and gives an immense amount of authority, especially during the beat drops throughout the song. The vocals are pretty fuzzy, and I know it's on purpose but it sounds a bit bad, even if it gives the song a good affect.

Good beat, love the rhythm, okay vocals, "="

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7pge-llkKU
    grandson - Overdose
    Suggested by: fluffinator09

Catchy authoritative beat, pretty good melody, good drum kicks. Luckily, the vocalist took the fuzz off, and now I can hear his voice better. He has a pretty good singing voice and sets a good mood to the song. Lyrics are pretty dark and tell a story of an overdose and how he wants to get out of it.

Over all, the song has a pretty deep booming bassline and beat. Good melody, vocalist has some talent under his sleeve, good singing voice but also some dark lyrics. The song has some guitar outro at the end which is okay, nothing special though.

Song has great rhythm and booming beat, good vocalist and writer, pretty boomy. "="
    607 and fluffinator09 like this.
  3. Too bad that's the genre his music falls into. Heavy influence from David Bowie and Fleetwood Mac. Just because he came from a boy band doesn't mean he can't be rock lol

And yeah that made sense. In conclusion it's been dead since the 1970s. Kind of a good thing, seeing as all of its major stars were messed up (lead singer of Aerosmith did some awful things to teenage girls, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin did too, Billy Wyman of the Rolling Stones, Elvis's wife was 14 when they met and he was in his mid twenties, etc.).
    607 likes this.
  4. Ha, you liked something I linked, interesting. :p I'm glad you did the review. :)

But please don't refer to me by anything other than 607. Especially not if it's so close. It's offending to me.

Every Night I Dream Of Dancing, by Andrew Huang
  5. It's funny how anyone would consider Harry Styles rock, it's complete crap, he may be apart of the genre, but he will never be a real rocker.

Yep, that's the lifestyle of the Rockstar, but who cares at this point, all of them have changed and are dwindling away at an old age.

Please, never come to me again and tell me that The 1975, Harry Styles, or whatever you listen to is Rock. Yes, it falls under the genre, but it will never be Rock
  6. No, it's not good that it's been dead since the 70s. The 70s were times filled with endless talent, legends played throughout those years and were the back bone of Rock and Heavy Metal. Now, we have to put up with this Alt-Rock, Pop Rock garbage.
  7. I appear to have somehow hit a nerve so I'll withdraw from this thread.

Gotta point out I never referred to the 1975 as rock, they're a pop band with rock influence through and through lmao

Thank ye kindly
    607 likes this.
  8. --Rereads last few posts. Rereads again. ARGH-- Fine! I'll put on my mom hat. I do not get on EMC to be a responsible adult you guys :p I have a real life for that.

Music is a subject that inspires a lot of passion and emotion for people. You have to be careful raining down all over someone's favorite song. Any dislike should NOT become a personal attack on the person who likes the song/band/genre. That happened. I strongly recommend that be addressed.

--Mom hat mostly off again.--

I will state my opinion on genre labels again. There are only 2 kinds of music. You like it, or you don't. That's it. Sticking a band in a box is not a positive thing. It's not a positive thing when it's done to people either. The jock, the nerd, etc. It's limiting. I prefer my artists to be allowed to color outside the lines and be creative. At the end of the day, it's a marketing ploy by the music industry. I don't trust the snakeoil salesmen. That's why I mostly ignore their labels.

To lighten this up, I'll leave you with a story. Ever heard of Metallica? Love or hate them, they've had an impact. Want to know what first brought them together? Doing Misfits covers. That's right. At the very beginning, they were a punk cover band. Every now and then, they'll even release a cover of a Misfits song as a nod to their ancient history. Last Caress and Die Die My Darling are two examples.
  9. Do note this thread is a "Music Snob" thread, and I will not keep opinions to myself. With that said, I will actively defend my preference, but that doesn't mean I am attacking the other person. If someone doesn't like certain judgement on their music, feel free to PM me and we could settle this privately. If you feel insulted, again PM me. My goal is not to bully others, but to review music. If you don't like it, don't suggest a song.
    607 likes this.
  10. I don't want you to keep your opinions to yourself, and I'll PM you :)
    607 and Otus_NigRum like this.
  11. Update:
    Due to sometimes there being low numbers of song suggestions, I will also be reviewing non player suggested songs that are currently trending. Songs, that are #1 on the billboards, #1 on spotify, and #1 on YouTube trending. This is only for when there are no songs being suggested for over a day.
    ABlankCanvas likes this.
  12. Whenever you review a song I submitted, I'll link another one. ;) I know more songs than I thought. Although it's much easier to think of music without singing I could share than actual songs.
  13. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y
    Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
    Suggested by: Sydney4363

The first Michael Jackson song I ever heard, this song really hits home, it's a total classic. Amazingly reeling and catchy drum beat at the beginning, along with some shakers which give it spice, I also like the bassline. Lyrics are interesting, and not far from any other pop song, as it talks about a girl Michael met, who he had a kid with I suppose, although he insists the kid isn't hit. This song has really catchy hooks, and Michael totally kills it with his voice, no doubt the best singer in all of pop, he can bring so much emotion in his music, he has good range, and he is very well known. The song has a nice edition of the funk guitar and synth, very nice touch.

Overall, MJ's most popular song by far, catchy drum beat in the beginning and throughout the song, great bassline and funk guitar, along with unappreciated shakers and synths. Michael really kicks this song into full mood with his voice, it's just unmatched, no one can sing this song better than him. Along with this song's catchy rhythm and hooks, comes MJ's amazing dance performance on MoTown in 1983. Michael Jackson, being the best singer, can also be argued as one of the best dancers. He has the most unique, funky, and swaggy dance moves of any singer, something I attempted, but failed, although I still understand his technique now that I have tried!

Great song, "++"
    khixan and Sydney4363 like this.
  14. I wanted to comment on this thread sooner, just haven't thought of the right song to post... :p
    Well now I have! :)

P.S. Sorry if someone already suggested this, kind of skimmed over the thread... Will read it more later... :p

~SUPERI0N
  15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=Qzw6A2WC5Qo
    Skillet - Feel Invincible
    Suggested by: Superi0n

Heart pumping and heavy intro, as well as heavily distorted riffage throughout the song, simple drum beat. I have heard the melody so many times throughout punk and electronic songs before, except what makes it better is the gritty guitar. The guitar solo is pretty good, I gain more respect for the song, considering many rock artists nowadays forget that guitar solos are a thing. The vocals are pretty... eh.. They aren't special and aren't anything I would listen to regularly, they seem kind of pestering in some way.

Overall, interesting Christian group, never got into them, nor Alternative music or much of Nu Metal except Slip Knot (if you consider that Nu Metal). Okay guitar riffage, pretty sludgy and hard hitting, enjoyable. Lyrics are good, most likely talking about God making them feel invincible, which does send a good message, +1 for that. The vocals aren't really enjoyable to listen to, especially for long periods of time, for me I can't get with it. Talented artists, send a good message, but I can't get with it lol.

Total grade: "="
    SUPERI0N and 607 like this.
  16. Hate to tell you but that stuff has been going on since the beginning of time, not just '70s rock stars. Read anything about R Kelly recently?
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  17. Interesting video. I have a 12 year old son who listens to the Beatles, Bowie, Pink Floyd, and recently Jethro Tull. He is astounded how bad current music is in comparison. He's 12. When I was a kid I certainly had no use for '50s music. That being said I do think beauty is in the eye of the beholder and really if we were such music snobs wouldn't we be listening to classical? Just saying.
  18. Duh.

R. Kelly has been lambasted for it and had his career destroyed. 70s rockstars have been excused, gotten away with it, and continue to be admired.
    607 likes this.