Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8aT9oRp95A
    Forty Six and two by Tool
    Suggested by: khixan

Exilerating bassline and guitar intro, really like it. The rest of the song has a great rhythm to it, I really like the drums and bass, especially the guitar. It has a very exilerating and head bangable sound to it, really enjoyable to listen to, now I know why Tool is considered to have no bad album.

The music video is probably the most interesting I have seen in this whole thread! The concept of a girl opening up a strange new place which sits a monster (which I have seen before in pictures many times but have never known where it was from) at the end of the table, infront of a feast. On the wall are pictures of this creature devouring little kids, and there is a lock which some fairies suggest the girl to open. She does and what she finds is a dagger, which I hope could of been used to kill that creature. Anyway, she awakens this creature and it chases after her. Kudos to the makeup team (or this is CGI I dont know) that monster is incredibly scary, the saggy body, the eyes that can only be used on its hands and its whole appearence would scare me to death if I saw this as a younger kid. The girl then escapes with what seems to be magical chalk.

This progressive metal band I must say is very talented, the whole song had a very heavy and scary tone to it. The rhythm guitar was really good and really helped set the mood, and the bass was easily heard in the back and set a good rhythm. As for the drums, they were simple, yet much needed and set a good tempo. I really like some of the lead guitar parts throughout the song, it gives it a great progressive metal feel. This whole song is very thrilling to listen to, and the music video is amazing. I do really like mythology, and the music video seems to tie right into it. The vocalist is someone I would definitely listen to, he has a good range and really helps set the tone. I also appreciate the outro with the guitar going SHUN SHUN SHUN. Very metallic feel, enjoyed the whole song.

Okay, I just looked in the comment section and realized this is not the original music video, but from a movie I don't know the name of. Still, the video is really great, as well as the song.

Over all grade: "++" I knew about this band for a while, but never got into them, now I feel like I have to listen to them more often, thank you very much, my favourite review so far.
    khixan and 607 like this.
  2. You don't have to do this, and I know you've got a backlog of songs to work through, so feel free to skip out on this; but I'd like you to review an entire band using songs I'll list below. There's six songs from six albums, released from 2006 right through to 2018 (there's six years of hiatus in here). The band is Arctic Monkeys. Here's the songs:

I Bet You Look Good on The Dancefloor
    Brianstorm
    Crying Lightning
    The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala (maybe try Brick By Brick instead)
    Stop The World, I Wanna Get Off With You (this one is a b side but it's still the best from that album IMO, I'd also recommend R U Mine)
    Four Stars Out Of Five
    607 likes this.
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4Dcd1aUcE&feature=youtu.be
    Nena - 99 Luftballons
    Suggested by: 907

Really groovy and funky intro bass, the drums are a big game changer. I love the funk that this song has, but the instrumental change when she sings is very disappointing, it ruins my expectations and I was really happy when she stopped singing and I could listen to the pure funk!
    As for the vocalist, I REALLY don't like her, and I don't like any non english songs for that matter, I just cannot stand them. As for the singer, she sounds too much like the pokemon kid and has an annoying tone, it's a shame during her verses the funk left and there was a simple melody playing in the background. Music video is nothing special, just her walking around while the guys are having a blast funking around.

Honestly, I cannot stand the vocalist one bit and I felt she would of been better out of the song. I really enjoy the funk bass and drums, those two were the stealers of the show for me, way better than the singer, this is the same for the guitarist and pianist.

Over all, I don't like songs in other languages, the singers seem to have a very annoying voice, and since I only speak english it's a huge turn off, sorry.

GradE: "-"
    607 likes this.
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX6FsTIq6ls
    Talking heads - Psycho Killer
    Suggested by: ABlankCanvas

Really interesting song. Groovy bassline, well needed for the intro. The drums in the back, although give a simple drum kick, really form a good tempo for the song, much needed, very well put together. The strange timings in the vocal track are pretty innovative at around 2:23, really cool. The vocalist is pretty good himself, it's hard to understand his words sometimes, but it fits perfectly for the song, especially that "Fa fa fa fa fa fa" part going throughout it.

Over all, the song has a really good bass line, I really enjoyed it and I liked how they implemented it as the first instrument to be playing in the intro. The drum kicks, although simple were very much needed and set a good rhythm, I really like it. The guitar, although didn't show that much throughout the song, spiced it up A LOT towards the ending. Although strange note placements, the guitar added a cool vibe to the song, very good outro. The vocalist himself is pretty good, and that "fa fa fa" that he does, will always be stuck in my head for the rest of eternity (thanks :p)
    He shows great talent and I appreciate his work.

Over all, great song, strange, but innovative. Total grade: "+"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8N8ESXNyZc
    SALES - getting it on
    Suggested by: ABlankCanvas

Spacey vibes at the start, calm you before the song, enjoyed it. Well played guitar throughout the song, very relaxing an memorizing. Simple beat, nothing special on it. The vocalist has a very pretty voice, she really sets the mood and I enjoy it. I like how the song gradually builds up and shoots you back up, although the buildup doesn't really improve much in the climax, as the song stays relaxing the whole way, it's still very nice.

Over all, the song has some really good vibey ambience to it. The intro calms you down and sets you up for the rest of the song. I must say to, the guitar helped that in many ways and was a core of the song. The rhythm was simple, nothing really special, although at some point in the song there were some nice drum hits. Instruments set a very relaxed tone, and the singer totally supports that. Although the lyrics weren't very impressive, she did a very exceptional job, I really like her a lot!

Over all grade: "="

Thank you for your music suggestions, you have a good music taste, I like your chillness :)
    khixan, ABlankCanvas and 607 like this.
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGvnS62ee0
    Wintergatan - Sommarfagel
    Suggested by: SliceOfRhyBread

Has a nice twinkly sound to it, very fairy tailish. The beat though does not belong with the song at all, it seems way too forced and it just doesn't sound good. The xylophone and piano are pretty dreamy and is what this song should be, the drums really ruin the song, too fast and too forced. The violin sounds like something from France, very nice.

Over all, the song has good xylophone and violin parts which should of only really been in the song, the beat totally ruins the song, way too repetitive, fast and forced. Definitely not my style, way too messy. I give it a "-"
  6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbNlMtqrYS0
    The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)
    Suggested by: Sydney_43

A yes, meme music that was actually meant to be actual music, a classic! I like the muted strum at the beginning of the song. Nice drum and cymbal hits, sets a good rhythm. Although subtle, I do enjoy the bassline as well. The vocalist is of course the main part here, I don't know what's so great about him, his funny accent, the delivery of the song, or the lyrics themselves, who knows, probably all three. I don't know many people who can say they haven't heard "I would walk 500 hundred miles, and I would walk 500 more." Simply a classic, but it musically is isn't all that great, it seems pretty simple and mundane, the only thing that gives it the taste it has is the unique vocalist, and yes, I mean UNIQUE.

Total grade: "="
    khixan and Sydney_43 like this.
  7. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk
    Earth, Wind, & Fire - September
    Suggested by: SliceOfRhyBread

Yep, you couldn't get a "+" out of me so you pulled this song out, was it your plan all along? I don't know, hopefully you like this song though and you're not just looking for that "+" :).

Of course i'm going to speak good of this song, it's one of the most popular disco songs ever, even from a now dead genre it's still quite popular. The song has a really good tempo with the drum beat, sets the funk in place, especially the bass, what disco song doesn't have a bass? Which, I would agree this bass line is pretty good. The other instruments mold well together to make this song what it is today.
    But... What really makes this song kick off is not only the funky instruments, but the vocals.
    The lead singer starts out with one of the most recognizable vocal intros of its time, even though he isn't the best singer he still brings a good feel to the song. What really makes this song stick out though is the chorus. Honestly, who hasn't heard,
    "Hey hey hey
    Ba de ya, say do you remember
    Ba de ya, dancing in September
    Ba de ya, never was a cloudy day"
    Right, i'm pretty sure everyone has heard that chorus, making it definitely one of the best multiple voice tracks to date.

Overall, of course this song gets a plus, the vocals are amazing, the delivery with the vocals are genius, exceptional, and remember able. The instruments bring a funky laid back sound which is probably why this song is so popular.

Here you go Rhy, although you pulled a predictable move on me I give you the golden Total grade: "+"
  8. Woah... :p I was almost blown away by you disliking Nena's vocals. :p
    But that's the nature of this thread... I would like to rectify some things, though.

I hope that was an accident? In any case, it made me cringe. >.<

You must not've paid attention then. Unless that 'having a blast' had a double meaning... didn't you notice the explosions going off in the background? And Nena and the guys abandoning the stage near the end of the song? That seems quite remarkable to me. :p
    Fun bonus: it was the Dutch army who set off those explosions. I'm a pacifist, but for once I appreciate the army. ;)

I think I'll have some more to share. ;) Interesting, though. I've never minded English songs, or German songs, or Italian songs, or Japanese songs...

Here's a cover of a German song, but it doesn't really use lyrics much (just one sentence).
    Autobahn by Kraftwerk, covered by Ed Starink. https://youtu.be/p7E4wQjH5O4
    And I'd like to hear a review of another song from the same album... but as you might not know the album itself (if you do, please do give your opinion on it in its entirety), I'll look for a single other song to suggest. At first I wanted to pick Moments In Love, but that one also uses lyrics, while they are the only two songs on the album, so I'd like to pick one that doesn't. :p
    Crockett's Theme by Jan Hammer, covered by Ed Starink. https://youtu.be/6d9YU90zC6M
  9. khixan likes this.
  10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvw--mNvPXQ
    Robert Plant & Jimmy Page - The Rain Song - Acoustic

Ah, yes two of some of the most talented musicians to ever walk this planet. It's great to see them both play together again after their breakup. Robert is looking as young as ever, but it seems Jimmy is aging quite a bit, even for the 90s.

The song itself is very well put together, it's Zeppelin, so of course it is going to be good. I really like how they added an orchestra on the stage, sets a great mood; if I think hard enough it makes me feel like i'm in some place in europe sitting on a porch, watching the rain pour as the sun peeks through the clouds, casting a beautiful glow. The guitar piece is of course going to be amazing, it's from Jimmy Page! Of all guitarists, Who could say this is bad? He plays it very beautifully, and yes I agree, it's fun to watch him play, he has good technique and a good rhythm. What am I saying? He's a legend, everything he does is GREAT! As a guitar player myself I cam see the amount of intellect that went through what he was playing, he's truly my biggest inspiration.
    Robert not only looks good, but still sounds good ever since they broke up. He's definitely one of the best vocalists I have ever heard, not many people will ever come close to his style and uniqueness, EVER. I really like how the song starts off slow and slowly rises up to the climax at 4:44, and then falls. It makes you really feel like you're watching the rain trickle down onto earth, and slowly, it gains more density until it is down pouring, but then, slowly it clams it self and the sun peeks out to cast a beautiful glow. The climax of the song at 4:44 is genius, it kicks right into you and brings a ton of emotion, great part on John Bonham.

Over all, I prefer the original Led Zeppelin one, but i'm not saying this is bad, it's probably my favourite acoustic version of any song out there. Nonetheless, the guitar piece is very relaxing and sets a whole plethora of emotion. Not many guitarists can do that, that's why Jimmy Page is one of the best, no one will ever play the way he does, even cover artists. As for Robert Plant, he's still kicking around very well! He still has that unique seductive voice that puts you into a trance, incredibly remarkable! The orchresta is great too, very well put together performance, but a VERY well put together song.

As Led Zeppelin is possibly my favourite Rock band, I give this song, both acoustic and original version "+++"
    607 and khixan like this.
  11. I'll quote this again in case you missed it :p
  12. I'll review it when I have the time, thank you :)
    607 likes this.
  13. Sydney_43 likes this.
  14. review minecraft parody's
    NOW!
  15. <3
  16. Glad you touched on this, Greta Van Fleet is one of my favourite bands, and my favourite Modern Rock band. I'm even possibly going to see them in September.

These guys, who are only in their very early 20s are incredibly talented, they not only manage to grasp Zeppelin's level, but manage to at such a young age, truly remarkable. Josh Kiszka really has incredible vocal talent, he's untouchable, and at such a young age there is still a lot of room for improvement, and hopefully with his music he develops different techniques and find his true self. He's definitely the driving part of the band, matching very closely to Robert's vocals, making Greta stand out MUCH more. They are all talented, the Kiszka brothers, and Danny Wagner, all of them represent a newly formed Led Zeppelin and they both shine

Their new album is truly rock and roll, and I was very happy to listen to it for the first time. Such a new band, with an old sound, playing this old sound in this new world, and it worked! These guys really made themselves a great first EP and i'm very impressed. My favourite song btw from theirs is Black Smoke Rises :)

With this band sounding exactly like Led Zeppelin comes many hopes, yet many discourages. Some people believe they are doing good, and that they will bring rock back to life. Others believe they are just copy cats trying to disrespect Zeppelin's legacy by trying to mimic them and ignore a new sound.

Here's what I think though. I believe these guys are not putting this on just for a nostalgia act, but I believe they are actually using their talent and inspiration to respect and keep the legacy of Led Zeppelin on forever. Hey, even Robert agreed they were doing a good job, so what's so bad about it? Although, with that in mind, these guys have an immense amount of talent, with a style very similar to Led Zeppelin, although unique in our time. These guys should really be careful on where their music paths go, they should keep their inspiration from Zeppelin in their music, but they should still use their talent that they have to make new music that no one has ever heard before. It would be a shame for these guys to continue on as a tribute band, because at that rate, these guys would die out within five years. I believe, that if they can still hold Led Zeppelin influence in their music, but still go on with their own paths, they will definitely make it another 10 plus years. Hey, they may make it to another 30 years, who really knows what these kids can do, but what they do is what I have immense faith in. If these guys can pull off a new album with their own unique sound, they may be able to pull this off and become one of the greatest rock bands ever.

As for bringing back Rock N Roll from the dead, I highly doubt it, considering how much our culture is so melted into this new crappy music. But, it isn't impossible. With the right action, these guys have the potential to bring back Rock to the Top 100 Billboard charts, and knock out any disgusting Alt rock band that currently holds the throne in the Rock 100 billboards. These guys could very well do it, I have faith in them, but they need to follow their own path, or else they'll fade away like every other band did.
    607 and khixan like this.