Otus the Music Snob - Series Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Otus_NigRum, May 21, 2018.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8-V4yuM984
    [COLOR=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-primary-text-color))]Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (feat. L.V.)[/COLOR]

Suggested by: ItsMeMatheus

Although I never really liked rap, especially modern rap, I do find a fair appreciation for old school rap like this, as older styled rap seems to give off more important messages and bring off what rap is, poetry.

The song has a pretty critical and deep meaning to it, speaking about how negative gangs can be and how tough a gangster's life really is. One line that caught my attention is,
    "I'm livin' life do or die, what can I say?

I'm 23 now but will I live to see 24?
    The way things is going I don't know"

This line is very sad, but very realistic, this is the kind of stuff that passes through most gangster's minds, it's the harsh reality that these guys who thought they could make their lives up to be good, live with.
    The beat and rhythm are quite hypnotizing and nice, the melodies are nice as well.
    I particularly enjoy the chorus,

"Been spending most our lives
    Livin' in a gangsta's paradise
    Been spending most their lives
    We keep spending most our lives
    We keep spending most our lives
    Livin' in a gangsta's paradise"

Although nothing special about the lyrics, the singer who ever he is brings good emotion to the song, and I enjoy it.

The music video I cannot understand, but seems extremely 90s.

Overall, the song has a simple catchy beat, but is very well written and exposes the harsh reality that many youth in gangs struggle with today. It's incredibly sad. Kudos to these rappers for conveying an important message that doesn't represent their riches, and kudos to Matheus for finding a rap song with no bad language :p

Over all grade: "="
    607 and ItsMeMatheus like this.
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4
    The Specials - Ghost Town
    Suggested by: ABlankCanvas

The song starts out with an incredibly hypnotizing Egyptian style snake charmer tune. The trumpet makes gives this song a strange 60s or 70s vibe, this is all followed by a simplistic beat and a rhythmic chime. The vocals are pretty unique, it's incredibly mysterious and gives a strange vibe.

The song itself has a very charming intro to it, along with an interesting chime throughout the song. The whole song is very strange and sets off an eerie vibe, it really does remind me of a ghost town. The vocals are nothing like I have really heard of before, really unique and mysterious, and I really like the inclusion of both African american and Caucasian voices in this song, it gives off a cool sound.

I never listened to Ska, but all I know about it is that it's basically a dead genre. Over all, the song is charming, eerie and mysterious, the trumpet playing gives it a 70s feel for whatever reason and the whole song gives off strange interesting vibes.
    I give it a solid "="

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOXCIDtYd3U
    Cass. - Redwood
    Suggested by: ABlankCanvas

Song has a very hypnotizing and strange feel to it, I don't know if you like that a lot or if it's just coincidence :p
    As I can see obviously by the publishing YouTube channel, this genre is Ambient. I must say, although I never thought of myself being interested in Ambient, this song definitely sparks my interest and gives me a good feeling. I love the uplifting, calm spirit of it, while I write this review and listen to it at the same time, I feel very hazy, like i'm about to drift out of my chair and into space, I feel as if I will float pass the planets in our solar system and visit some far away tropical island. The voices throughout the song seem sort of like an old 1960s interview, (for whatever reason, the editing of it seems very old) and they are what i'm guessing apart of a therapy session.

Is the artist potraying this song as good therapy? Who really knows, all I know is that I want to float awayyyyy......

Over all, the music brings a very calm relaxing ambient noise that really does make you feel like you're in space. I don't know the talent behind this genre, but I can safely say the artist is quite talented. Good song, enjoyed it.
    Total Grade: "+"

Thank you :)
    607 likes this.
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Wm_qlVD4Q
    NEEDTOBREATHE by Brother
    Suggested by: SliceOfRhyBread

Song has a simplistic heart type beat, the rest of the instruments are simple as well, yet still give a good background sound which fits with the song, but the beat really does stand out the most. I like some of the piano parts and the subtle organ in the background. Shakers really spice up the beat.
    As for the vocals which is clearly the centerpiece of this song, I can catch some SERIOUS worship song vibes, as I do come from a Christian environment (although I do not particularly like the music that much, I heard it a lot to pick up on details). The guy does have a great singing voice, incredibly familar, although I have never heard of "Brother" ever before. His vocals though, while great, have no real uniqueness for me. As I said previously down deep in this thread I prefer more bluesy vocalists, such as Robert Plant and Paul Rodgers, as well as countless of others.

Here's an example of Paul Rodgers, from one of my favourite songs at the moment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YExuLkIaQ7U

With my preferences in Rock and Blues vocalists I cannot find a real interest in this guy, but no doubt, he has talent.

Over all: Good rhythmic beat, nice use of the piano and organ, talented vocalist but definitely far from my preferred music.
    Grade: "-"

Thank you.
    SliceOfRhyBread and 607 like this.
  4. Very much agreed, Tiny Tim's song is a good meme, but a dead one at this point. It's incredibly annoying as well.

Rhythm Of The Night is definitely better by a long shot. It has a very city type funk to it, a very uplifting and happy beat, perfect for dancing. I enjoy the xylophones throughout the song and the plethora of other instruments that give the song a very island/city/fun vibe to it (great explanation right?)

Song has uplifting lyrics as well and a pretty good vocalists and what seems to be a choir. In all honesty, I would never listen to it, but it is a very fun uplifting song that would be perfect to dance to during a house party on your backyard porch under the stars with your friends.

If you're looking for a grade: "="

For tiny tim's song... it was good for the meme, but overall completely avoided song by me, "---------------"
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFt3q8Zws3c&feature=youtu.be
    SIAMES
    Suggested by: Ritunn

Good intro beat, but after the intro was over, the following part is not what I was expecting, I was expecting a darker tone, but it changed on me :p

The song afterwards has some very powerful and uplifting moments that bring emotion and a good balance to the song. The beat though, is pretty good, but overused at this point, I swear every modern song now a days has the same rhythmic beat, which I want to talk about later on. The bass though is pretty good, although subtle, it gives a modern groove and is enjoyable to listen to. The vocals are well, interesting, it is a new band though, so I assume the vocalist is still figuring out his path. I can't figure out if the vocalist is male or female though, you can hear a distinct male voice, yet it at some points can sound very feminine, although the majority of the parts prove it is a male vocalist.

Overall, the song is pretty jumpy and easy to dance to, the vocalist is pretty unique in some sort of way, and the song brings a great beat and groovy bassline, along with the synth and other instruments.

The band has potential, but not the music i'm looking for. Total grade: "="
    Ritunn and 607 like this.
  6. This made me laugh because the album is one of the most expensive ever made and the creators bankrupted and mentally exhausted themselves making it. The whole wall of noise thing is indeed intentional. And, funnily enough, it's widely considered the best album of all time.

p.s it's a male singing

And yeah both songs belong to the shoegaze genre (well, rock subgenre), which was popular in the UK throughout the 1990s but was overshadowed by Britpop. It was characterised by the singers mumbling and vocals not being a major part of the song. Not for everyone I guess.

Anyway, another suggestion: Sex by The 1975 and Blame by Tender.
    607 likes this.
  7. I thought the video game music reviews so far have been pretty good. :) I'll keep suggesting them now and then (as I said, I'm alternating music with and without lyrics, and I don't know any video game music with lyrics, so it'll be at most every other song), and I'm trying to keep it varied, both genre-wise and origin-wise. :)

That tribute seems really cool!! But as it's so long, and as it's metal, I won't be able to do it when I'm tired after a day of school; metal is a bit too intense for me usually. :p

I do not at all have a negative view on emulators: I also don't know why I seem to have a negative view on them. :rolleyes: I'm actually very happy with emulators and have used them quite a bit. I even use one for composing music. :)

8. You have gotten a lot of suggestions lately... should I give another one, or wait a bit? :p
  9. I'm cool with another suggestion, i'll reply to everyone after school :p
    607 likes this.
  10. Alright. I'm wondering how long this will keep going for... what would happen first? You not having time anymore or being fed up, or us not having any interesting suggestions anymore? ;)

This is a song you probably know (at least when compared to the others I've shared). 99 Luftballons by Nena. Please remember to also comment on the video clip. :)
    https://youtu.be/La4Dcd1aUcE
    Sydney_43 likes this.
  11. I disagree. I just checked it out. It's pretty good - although the clip is very strange - but the original is a lot better, I think. Also, most of the song was the English version, which is to me clearly inferior to the German version, even when Nena sings it.
  12. It's "Brother" by NeedToBreathe, not "NeedToBreathe" by Brother :I

Anyway, I'm going to keep doing this until I get a + :I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGvnS62ee0
    607 likes this.
  13. Fully agreed. The English version isn't even an accurate translation and the meaning is totally lost/replaced.

For those that don't know: in German, it tells a story of how 99 red balloons get mistaken for UFOs; the Air Force shoots them down in a display of force, even after realising they're just balloons. The neighbouring nations feel threatened and a century long war ensues. If it wasn't obvious enough, the balloons are a metaphor for nuclear missiles and the song is anti-NATO.

The English version tells the story of how some guy cuts a bunch of balloons free into the sky and the air force mistakes them for missiles and... causes a war. It's too in-your-face with what it's about, whereas the German version is subtle about the meaning. This version isn't even liked by Nena and she doesn't perform it and her bandmate even said it was a mistake.

TL;DR: The Goldfinger and English version is awful, no matter how well you can sing it. Only Nena does this song justice.
    khixan and 607 like this.
  14. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDGfk0UJw8
    Sex - The 1975
    Suggested by: AltPunisher

As a guitar player I cringe watching the lead singer play guitar. He's playing basically one string and holds his guitar like a goof. Drums are okay, not meaty enough though, good of been better. The guitar in this is your typical pop rock, simple strumming, nothing special, moving on. The bassline is okay, thankfully it isn't drowned out by the other instruments like most bands do. The singer is good, reviewed him before, not my type heard that style of male vocals way too many times.

The song is just not my type, it has no real unique sound to it and it seems too focused on the vocals. The melody is simple and mundane. Not my favourite band or sound.

I give it a "-"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQPzYMfe_8
    Tender - Blame
    Suggested by: AltPunisher

Intro beat is rhythmic, sounds like a heart beat. The beginning melody seems very spooky and mysterious. Vocalist is heavily autotuned, but is okay I guess. Song has interesting melodies

Grade: "="

And yes, I laughed to when I heard My Bloody Valentine because i'm shocked at how it could be considered one of the greatest albums of all time