Misc Updates / Bug Fixes - 5/28/15

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, May 28, 2015.

• Um i can still get buffs from my other res
  1. As chicken quoted me, we changed it so you can affect your own res's still.

New update going out now! Single change...

Hoppers are the #1 source of all lag problems recently. It stems from people being extremely excessive because we never set limits on how many hoppers you can use...

Many people have 300-800 hoppers in a single area to move items, and this totally destroys server performance.

Notably, one of the heavier actions are hoppers with air above them that try to suck in items.

We've made a change that slows down the suck in rate to be once per 3 seconds instead of 20 times a second. This won't break any machines and should save us a tremendous amount of server power.

This wont impact hoppers moving items speed directly from that change...

However, there is a 2nd change - If the server is currently lagging ( less than 18 TPS), hopper speed will slow down slightly, allowing the server some breathing room to regain the lost TPS.

This wont affect hopper ORDER - So sorters should still be fine, but if the server is lagging, then they will move through the pipe slower.

I consider this a major win that I was able to find a way to modify hoppers w/o expecting any breaks in machine functionality.

Here's for a stable TPS all day tomorrow....
  2. Dont know if you missed this between the long post, but here
  3. chickeneer, I still have broken books in my vault. Is it a total loss?
  4. I am working on it. Been busy up until now today to go in and fix those.
    607 likes this.
  5. Cool, thanks chickeneer! I'll be really grateful! Take your time. I'll replace with some new ones in the short term.
  6. So true. :'D Glad to see all the new changes, though...

(I always wanted a single, harmless pet Tiny Slime named Marshall.) :3

Also, Enchanted Books are now more useful than ever! I know what I'm doing when I get back on EMC...
    more enchanting. :D
  7. Hmm, I might change behavior back to how it was before - running into some other behavior problems I am not liking related to this change. Won't be an immediate reversal though, probably with some other changes I am working on.
  8. Depending on how rare those items are, you may be able to fetch a pretty penny for them in the future. People like to have rare items, even if they are useless.
    607 likes this.
  9. Wait, uhh. I did aledy not understand that right.
    But what's wrong with enchanted books in vault ?
    I think i have a few in there. lucky not looked at it for a while i think or at least not touched.
    What's the risk, not want to lose or damage the books if the not get replaced.
  10. Nothing is wrong, there was a rather narrow time frame that the enchants were broken IF you opened your vault.
    ShelLuser and cadgamer101 like this.
  11. Aikar, seen your empirechat.java on github. Posted an advertisement "2505 sells depth strider 3 books for 1900r ea" and it went to town chat, Providing regexp example.
    Code:
    \d{0,4} sells (.*) 
    Ultimamaxx likes this.
  12. Yes it did break things... The fishing machine I have is broken now and all auto villager farms (carrots, potatoes, and bread) that rely on the hopper taking the items before the villager does are broken too. So auto villager farms now do not work. One of the redeeming features of the 1.8 version people have been talking about. Example of the farm I'm talking about can be seen on SMP6 at 12518

Edit: The wheat farm I have where the hopper cart under the farm picks up the wheat is not catching all the wheat and wheat is despawning in some cases if the cart doesn't reach it at those exact seconds now. I expect that everyone that uses a hopper cart system to collect items are losing things based on this change too.
  13. Uhmm, i builded a few weeks ago a wheat farm. (finaly) with hopper minecart. Sofar it looked fine.
    My villager can never take the whjeat in the inventory. so the minecart need to pickup the wheat.
    And i think mine have a few rounds the change todo that.

But mine is in wilderness. where food is important :)
  14. I see major problems with the hopper change at guardian farms. The way many farms are set up, hopper minecarts suck up the items, and they are not under items for 3 seconds, leaving MANY entities lying on the ground. and these items regroup with other items that the next guardian drops, compounding the problem. the entites move from one track to the next, and are not being sucked up. So the sollution for fixing guardian farms may be now placing a hopper floor under the entire farm, as opposed to 40 or so hopper minecarts. Could you possibly do some testing with hopper minecarts and see if you could set the hopper timing so hopper minecarts function properly? that would stop many people from covering 60x60 farms with hoppers:)
    cadgamer101 and BreezyMan like this.
  15. That's what me and Butler had to do with our farm. When we were stilling using the minecart hoppers entity count would reach near 150-250 due to items not getting sucked into them. Though with all the hoppers it seemed to lower our fps by 10-20.
  16. I'm sure whatever tweaking you could do to make the hopper mine carts working again would possibly correct the issue with the villager farms too.
  17. For some reason, the heads I get from PVP show up in my inventory like this (they should have stacked automatically; they stack when I do it manually):
  18. Hmm, i have other idea with the guardian farm i working on. it can save on the amount of hoppers.
    But it's for me learning stage also and trail / error. you dont want a floor full of hoppers, for more reasons.