Minecraft 1.12

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Unoski, Feb 8, 2017.

1. 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  2. :}
  3. So minecraft 1.12 Pre-1 is here, which means 1.12 is on the horizon. :)

This Pre-release removed both "command rewards" and the "arbitrary_player_tick" trigger from advancements. For those wondering what those features used to do, It basically allowed us to put all of our commands inside of our world folder rather than in-game via command blocks. They did however implement a new feature intended to replace this called "Functions".

Functions allow you to do the same thing as before, but in a cleaner and nicer way. They are located in the following directory and are .txt files.
    Code:
    C:\Users\"YourUsername"\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves\"YourWorldSave"\data\functions
    However, there is one thing that makes me prefer the older method. No matter which gamerule I turn off, it spams my output log. That is in no way convenient, and is making me stop using the feature altogether. I really hope they fix this as it will pretty much affect anyone who downloads an adventure map of some sort with functions inside of it. Here's the Bug Report.

TLDR; 1.12 Pre-1 has been released and introduces "Functions". Be careful if you either use them for yourself, or play an adventure map with Functions as they will spam your logs inside of your .minecraft folder.

EDIT: Apparently the bug has been patched not too long after I posted this comment... xD
    PhoenixAffinity, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  4. The 1.12 pre-releases have been rolling out recently. A ton of bugs have been squashed. No release date for 1.12 final has been stated yet.

Has anybody noticed on the EMC development status says "Current: 1.12", yet there's no link in it?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Small shell vent...

My only gripe with 1.12 is basically the bed. I think they should have left the default bed red and simply added an option to customize its colour if you wanted to.

Thing is... when you just start in the game (which is basically the main focus on 1.12 it seems: new players) then having a bit of variation in your first base can really set the atmosphere. The default now is obvious: white sheets, red blanket and you know it's a comfy bed (or.. lets hope so). This is also the main reason why I was an instant fan of the new (now common) stone variants: diorite, andesite & granite. They allowed new players to add a little bit of variation into the early stages of the game.

Take this pre-1.8: the bed always stood out, together with a chest I suppose.

But now? Gray, white and .... dull.

Sure... making a red blanket with white wool isn't realistic. But... Since when were square leave blocks realistic? ;)

On one hand I think it's a good thing that Mojang tries to cater to new players, the recipe book was long overdue. On the other end I also think they're trying to dumb things down too much. Not so much with the recipe book, but with the bed for example: trying to make something which is already unrealistic too realistic (and maybe less appealing).

I mean.. Now that the sheet colour is influenced by the wool, shouldn't the same be happening for the wooden frame? So basically, the way I see it, by trying to make things more realistic they actually did the opposite: they only made it more obvious that things are not realistic. Simply by not going all the way here. And before you claim I might set my standards too high: those variants are already a thing for boats and doors, so isn't it odd that the bed doesn't follow that same approach?

Heck, lets take this even further: why can't we have chest variants as well? Since beds and boats are now varied isn't it odd that no matter what wood type you use the chests always share the same colour?

Stuff which you might not have paid much attention too earlier, but because some parts are now changing they automatically get into the picture as well, which I think isn't always a good thing.

It is a good thing to cater to new(er) players, but I don't think you should be too eager to just brush off all the details which most players initially liked about your game either. Find compromises instead of trying to rewrite history.

#mcredbedftw :p
    607 likes this.
  6. Well... you now those DC's of red flowers in all iron farms which don't serve a purpose except occupy space? well... now they have a purpose! To bring back memories!
  7. I guess I can see where you are coming from, though I have to disagree. Beds do not have a default color anymore, so a bed is only 'dull' if the player who crafts it chooses to use those colors. Dyes of any color are easy enough to make, and in fact, sheep can sometimes be found with more vibrant colors, and can easily be dyed.

Also, they could have added bed frame variants based on the wood type, but I think they realized that 16 different beds was already more than enough. To be able to customize them by wood variant would have increased that to 96, which would have been kind of silly. However, the ability to have different colors of beds is a feature many players have wanted for a very long time, including myself.

Also, I love the idea of different chest variants based on wood type, it would lead to some unique designs. I am all for color variants of items, it allows people to be more creative with their designs, which is something I always love.

There are many changes Mojang has made to Minecraft over the years that have been considered 'game breaking,' and the World of Color update is not one of them so far, in my opinion. I am looking forward to everything they are adding in this update, and am really excited to start using the new blocks and items in my builds.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  8. We have an official release date for Minecraft 1.12 - this Friday, June 2!

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/869477395916611584

The release date for 1.12 has been moved to Wednesday, June 7, according to Dinnerbone on Twitter. He thinks 1.12 Pre-Release 7 is almost stable enough to be the final release.

Spigot has also been sending out their plug-ins with support for the most recent 1.12 pre-releases. But, there are more requirements to be meet to enable EMC to be updated to the latest release version for Minecraft.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. I suppose I can take some comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one who horribly misses deadlines ;)
  10. That's what they always do. I seriously think they shouldn't release an ETA again within the next 5 years at least. They've shown they can't make them, so it's of no use but to cause more disappointment to keep giving them.
  11. Creative mode will most likely never be the same again with 1.12 :D

Maybe a nice tip for you guys... As you may know 1.12 provides stored toolbars. When you have a certain selection of items in your hotbar then you can press a (customizable) keyboard combination and then the items of the current hotbar will be stored. You can then do your stuff, maybe even empty out your whole inventory (shift click on the 'destroy item' option in the survival inventory tab), and if you then press the toolbar load option again you get all your previously removed items back (only on the hotbar obviously, not the rest of your inventory).

When this option got released you used control 1 - 9 to store items and shift 1 - 9 to retrieve them. Nowadays you can configure this yourself (I prefer control for loading and shift for saving).

But what makes this option even more special is that you can copy items between servers and games! :cool:

Those items are saved in your own settings, and those settings retain no matter where you are. In the above screenshot you're looking at several custom items such as the "ShellShield" and "Aya's dream sword". Those were made using specific commands (obviously) and I generated them on a (now closed) private snapshot server. Yet in the screenshot above I'm playing in my single player redstone world.

Here I'm standing in a freshly generated world on a LAN server which I just started to test this theory out:

You maybe wondering why this is such cool news...

First the obvious: if you're using creative then it's almost inevitable that you'll come across plenty of blocks which you most often use. For example I use redstone components a lot, so I have one hotbar dedicated to those. With this system it doesn't matter where you are, as long as you have access to creative mode you'll also gain access to your favorite selection of blocks.

But there's more...

Having access to creative mode does not imply that you also got op status on a server. Some servers have these modes set per world. So you play normally in a survival world, but you can then also teleport to a creative world where you get access the creative inventory, but you won't be able to use commands (and you also don't get to copy items across ;)).

So what this option also allows for is for you to create some custom items in single player, then saving them in those hotbars. And when you go online and teleport to the creative world you'll suddenly find your custom items becoming available there as well.

This could really set some of your custom creative buildings apart :)
    Mythical_Man and 607 like this.
  12. Yeah, I know it looks like I'm on a posting spree ;) Call it making up for lost time, haven't been on the Empire for weeks prior to this weekend, I'm also enjoying the first 2 days of the week off (Wednesday its back to work :confused:) so yeah :cool:

Why I think 1.12 could very well become the best release so far...

I know that's a bold statement to make and before I go on please don't get the idea that I'm trying to claim that 1.12 will be the perfect release which fixes everything. But boy they're going to give us tons of goodies to enjoy....

So I went over the 1.12 release page again after experimenting with another Snapworld when I suddenly noticed some things.

First I went over the advancements structure again because I've become very intrigued with making custom advancements myself. I almost mastered the whole thing. Right now I honestly think that it is a good thing that those achievements went away. Although I'll also be sorry to see some of mine go: we'll be getting TONS of new things to do and explore in return. Where the 'Adventure' advancements will even earn you XP when you complete a task, that's cool!

I count 10 adventure advancements, 9 for the End, 7 Husbandry related tasks, 13 things for the nether (such a fitting number for such an inviting place :D) and of course 16 story line advancements (largely comparable to the achievements which we got now).

But the thing which really gets me excited is that this part of Minecraft is fully customizable! (remember that I promised a guide of some sort in a previous post? Me too! :cool:).

Functions!

I didn't know this was a thing, but it is! Now I can finally automate the procedure to kill all invading alts into my games :p

More seriously... A function (.mcfunction file) is basically a list of commands which you want to perform, one command per line. You can trigger execution with a command: /function folder:path/to/function.mcfuction, this would execute data\functions\folder\path\to\function.mcfunction, with your world save folder as a starting point. But also using command blocks (obviously).

Why I'm so excited you ask?

Remember my previous post about those custom items I made? Those are made using commands and automated with command blocks, but the only problem is that it takes quite a few command blocks to make it work:

Let's change the bow... I think it's the 3rd or 4th one?

But with 1.12 it would only take 1 command block and 1 .mcfunction file :cool:

Here's how it works:

Your world folder has a 'data' sub-folder in which you'll find the 'functions' and 'advancements' folders; these are used to place your own custom files in. Now, a function is nothing more but a textfile which happens to have the .mcfuction extension and which lists 1 command per line. The only requirement is that you'll need to place your functions in a subfolder so that Minecraft can recognize them.

SO.... If you make a subfolder called "godgear" in the 'functions' folder and then add a file called "give.mcfunction", then you could consider adding these lines of code:

Code:
    give @p diamond_sword 1 0 {ench:[{id:16,lvl:10},{id:19,lvl:5},{id:20,lvl:3},{id:21,lvl:5},{id:22,lvl:5},{id:34,lvl:5},{id:70,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{Name:"Aya's dream sword",Lore:["Carefull where you swing!"]}}
    give @p diamond_pickaxe 1 0 {ench:[{id:32,lvl:10},{id:34,lvl:5},{id:35,lvl:5},{id:70,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{Name:"TakenID's pick",Lore:["Don't get too picky ;)"]}}
    give @p diamond_shovel 1 0 {ench:[{id:32,lvl:10},{id:34,lvl:5},{id:35,lvl:5},{id:70,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{Name:"Speedy shovel",Lore:["Don't dig straight down!"]}}
    give @p diamond_axe 1 0 {ench:[{id:32,lvl:10},{id:34,lvl:5},{id:35,lvl:5},{id:70,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{Name:Hax,Lore:["Careful with that axe, Eugene..."]}}
    give @p shield 1 0 {ench:[{id:34,lvl:3},{id:70,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{Name:ShellShield,Lore:["Something to hide behind!"]}}
    give @p bow 1 0 {ench:[{id:21,lvl:5},{id:34,lvl:5},{id:48,lvl:10},{id:49,lvl:5},{id:50,lvl:1},{id:51,lvl:1},{id:70,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{Name:"Ancient bow of the Elves",Lore:["Don't put this in your hair ;)"]}}
    give @p minecraft:tipped_arrow 64 0 {Potion:Poison}

Then, inside your game, all you'd have to do is use: /function godgear:give, and wham! you'd get all those cool items with 1 single command (so also 1 single command block needed, like I already said before).

Want to know something even cooler than this?

About those custom advancements? Did you know that those also support functions as a reward? Effectively meaning that you can build yourself the ultimate adventure game if you'd like....

I can see it now....

A sign tells you: "Bring a stick, iron ingot, mushroom and a lava bucket into this room for a reward".

You collect those items, go back into that area and wham! You got a new advancement: "Appeasing the Shell", and as a reward you get the "hardened ShellShove" (a shovel with Unbreaking I).

The possibilities are endless....

SO yeah... now if you'll excuse me, I need to hop online :D
    607 likes this.
  13. Minecraft 1.12 is here!

Had to do this, I really enjoy that logo. I'm using the new launcher since a few days now so this news also hit me quite directly and the moment I noticed I was immediately impressed with this picture (also saved it). I love the attention for details here; notice how Alex also looks out a bit for the animals behind them while Steve just throws his chores (?) away and runs out to enjoy? Let's say I can somewhat recognize that scenario a little bit ;)

Or what about the villagers? and the colours, and the rainbow (and where is the pot of gold)? And, and, and....

Coming soon to a theatre near you.....

I love the custom advancements. In fact, I think that's almost the most important new feature of 1.12 for me: the sheer amount of extra customization we get to do with the game. So yeah... this project started as a bit of a joke because I wanted to learn more about those advancements and also give Keiko a good impression of some of the new features (we're talking snapshot period). So I started a small project where I laid out a few blocks (concrete), put some noteblocks on display (2 other players who (might) read this thread know what I'm talking about; because I also copied this construction to "that place" :D) and added some advancements. She liked the idea so much that we decided to try and make something more official (the idea is to release this map upcoming weekend and share it through CurseForge).

Its a simple map, but complex nonetheless. A guide through all (most) of the new Minecraft 1.12 features with....

Don't mind the debug stuff please. Around Under spawn (which is always loaded) we build a control room which contains the command blocks which (more or less) steer this whole thing but in order to test I need to perform a few commands (the whole map is made with re-usability in mind, so you can literally click a reset button and start over).

Coming soon....

I'm not just venting here mind you. When this map is finished it'll be dedicated to two things which matter most to me where Minecraft is concerned... Keiko & Empire Minecraft :)

So yeah, consider this an exclusive preview which I won't share anywhere else because.... EMC, duh :cool:
  14. dont try 2 tame parrots with cookies ^.^ no longer works, poor things :( lol
  15. So when is 1.12 coming to EMC?
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  16. Prob a few days, aikar did most work already...
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  17. I don't know for sure.
    Although yes, Aikar got an early head start on development. He even got private details on 1.12 from Mojang at Minecon 2016.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  18. The best part is that they probably don't even need to reset the waste for this one because most new stuff is either an entity which would spawn anyway (parrots) or blocks which don't generate and are only craftable (like concrete and the noteblocks).
    607 and ForeverMaster like this.
  19. Pretty sure Aikar or Krysyy said they'd still reset it, I'm hoping they do for two reasons, my home server smp3's wastes are really boring, and the end has been sucked dry there already.
  20. It hapened, it happened! Now everything is right with the world once more:

OptiFine_1.12_HD_U_C2.jar is now a thing! :cool:
    607 and PhoenixAffinity like this.