Minecraft 1.12

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Unoski, Feb 8, 2017.

1. So I started up the snapshot, and the first thing I wanted to try out was this so called "Robot Butler". So I did the key combo "Ctrl+B" like I was supposed to, and nothing happened? This confused me so much that I tried pressing the two buttons in different orders, tried other key combos, and even tried spamming the two keys only to get no result. So I did some research and found that this Bug Report seems to match the problem I was having. I am simply mentioning this so others can know they aren't alone.

The next thing I went to check out were the "Parrots". What I love most about them is that we actually have birds in minecraft!!!(Yea, I know the chicken is a bird, but I'm not counting that :p) Now while I love the fact that they can imitate the sound of mobs around them, I wonder if they will get annoying after hearing a fake creeper right behind me. Only time will tell. :p

As for Recipes, I'm so happy that I can look in my inventory/crafting table and be able to see what the crafting recipe is. I always thought it was odd that there's no way for a new player to know how to craft anything unless they are either extremely lucky, they play on a server like EMC and have their friends tell them, or they look it up on a site like the Minecraft Wiki. This new feature solves that problem. It is also useful for myself and other minecrafters who don't use mods and don't want to look at the minecraft wiki for when we do forget a recipe.

Now Advancements, I don't quite understand what this is yet so I won't say very much right now and will edit my thoughts in later, but I will say that I think it's sad that achievements are gone. :(

I also thought I should mention two other things as I haven't seen them mentioned yet.
    1: Two new commands have been added, /recipe and /advancement.
    2: Dinnerbone has stated that Java 8 will be required from now on to play minecraft. Source

In conclusion, I'm really loving this update so far. I know there are other things I didn't mention such as "Concrete"(which is awesome) and "Glazed Terracotta"(which is a very strange block), but we already know about that stuff anyways... :p

~SUPERI0N
    ShelLuser, 607 and ForeverMaster like this.
  2. New achievement menu sucks
    Crafting guide currently sucks
    Parrots suck
    Terracotta and concrete is cool I guess
    Coloured beds suck
  3. I agree with everything you stated in this post, sir Edgar.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. Advancements are meant to be a more flexible replacement to Notch's old achievements system. Map makers and server OPs can customize the advancements and add more.
    SUPERI0N and 607 like this.
  5. New achievment menu and the Crafting guide are still in development - if you take a look at the Minecraft bug tracker, you can see there are quite a few bug reports (as to be expected from a new feature in a snapshot update)
    Parrots look awesome, and are actually a pet I might want (never had a ocelot or wolf, but the parrot looks interesting)
    Terracotta and concrete are more than cool, they are awesome! Finally, I can have a block that is a true black color and isn't just coal. Plus, already thinking of some cool uses for the terracotta as a pattern for different builds
    Colored beds are sweet, not everyone likes the color red for their bed. Some of us like what we call "variety" - those of you that like red beds, are more than welcome to continue using them. There are not any plans to come in the middle of the night and raid them all ;)
    SirTah, ShelLuser, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  6. A bit over a year ago, I think. After a few months of him being like that, I unsubscribed. I haven't ever watched any of his videos anymore, and I surely don't miss it. :)
    Doorfne and ShelLuser like this.
  7. I dove a bit more into this Minecraft version and I'm becoming quite enthusiastic here.

Crafting recipes!

See assets/minecraft/recipes. Here is the code to craft an activator rail (from activator_rail.json):

Code:
    {
      "type": "crafting_shaped",                                                      "pattern": [
        "XSX",
        "X#X",
        "XSX"
      ],
      "key": {
        "#": {
          "item": "minecraft:redstone_torch"
        },
        "S": {
          "item": "minecraft:stick"                                                     },
        "X": {
          "item": "minecraft:iron_ingot"
        }
      },
      "result": {
        "item": "minecraft:activator_rail",
        "count": 6
      }
    }

Right now I'm checking if I can somehow overrule this. This allows you to create your own custom recipes and all you have to know is how to write up a proper JSON file.

This also explains why you won't see any advantages on a server: the admin needs to make those himself. I like this, because it could make a server experience a whole lot better. For example: you'd get an advantage after going through the tutorial, you'd get one when you moved your teleport (/res tpset) and so on... (obviously talking about EMC here).

First I'm going to check if I can make a recipe to craft Aya and mine's head. And then make an advancement out of that :D

I've said it many times before: Minecraft has seriously moved beyond being a mere game, it's also easy to acknowledge it as a visual programming environment. I mean... Redstone? That is a crude form of scripting / programming (circuit design). Commands using command blocks and all? Definitely scripting / macro related.

And this is yet another step... Now you get to create your own advantages and build up your own Minecraft story.
    607 likes this.
  8. Yeah, I do really enjoy that!
  9. FTFY
    NuclearBobomb and ShelLuser like this.
  10. Thanks
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. What were you saying there?
  12. What the acronym stands for, you mean? "Fixed that for you". Rhy edited some things in his quote.
  13. Well, in the mean time I can report that I don't think it's currently possible to customize recipes or advancements. I tried several options in multiplayer (server), I think the right place is "world/data/advancements" (assumption) but unfortunately nothing works so far.

I also tried copying existing recipes and customizing files to create my own but every time I try to use /recipe give I get an error that the recipe can't be found (I tried to add a recipe for crafting a wither_skull, basically a regular skeleton head in the middle surrounded by obsidian).

Finally I also spotted something though it seems that this file existed for a while already (I checked some old 1.7 / 1.8 saves I still keep around) but even so: world\data\villages_nether.dat and villages_end.dat. Not sure what to think of that. But speaking of the end... I wonder if my parrot can imitate the Ender dragon before it eats him :D

Time for a small test, then I'm hopping onto EMC for a bit before bedtime :)
    607 likes this.
  14. I tried out the new snapshot and I think the parrots are great. The recipe book is something I didn't understand why they never added it before, it will be useful for new players, though completely useless for those who have all their recipes memorized. Of course we all forget a recipe from time to time. I don't really understand why people don't like the recipe book, it doesn't need to be used.

The one thing I don't really like is the new advancement system, I really liked the achievement system a lot more. It's dissapointing that they're replacing it. It may be useful for map makers, other than that I feel it's a lot more clunky than the original system.

All in all, it's a decent update. I just wish they would slow down on releasing major updates back to the way they used to.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  15. Thank You for your answer. :)
    So based off of my current understanding, it's similar to the time when they changed texture packs to resource packs right? From what I understand achievements are basically still here, but have been renamed to advancements with the ability to add your own. It does have some differences though such as the layout, the background, and the fact that they only display their name when you hover your mouse over them. Is this correct?(Or at least close? xD)

~SUPERI0N
    ForeverMaster likes this.
  16. Sorry for a small offtopic post but I have to give credit where credit's due: I think you guys were right, fully on the mark. A bit sad to say but today I also unsubbed.
    I've been subscribed to Mumbo for a few weeks now and mostly because of his older posts. In general some are good and some aren't that good. I considered the post I linked to funny enough but each to their own. But your comments did stick with me although I didn't agree with them.

But I have to admit that I'm also starting to recognize a pattern here. I saw his post about the snapshot last week and it left me plain out disappointed to see how little he knew. He didn't even know that parrots could be tamed with a cookie, something which would have taken him one search on Google to find out! The post was basically "look, this is the new colorful stuff" without explaining anything.

I can appreciate stuff like that on threads such as these: we're all excited (or disappointed) and we all want to share our discoveries or disapprovals. And rightfully so! But I can't appreciate it when someone makes a video, tries to monetize on that (at the very least with the constant "CONSIDER SUBSCRIBING!" at the beginning, but we all know about the advertisement as well) and then doesn't even bother to check their facts. One meager Google search seems to have been too much effort. What did count (my assumption!) was that he posted a video about the snapshot just like everyone else. Of course some of the other Youtubers didn't only post a video, they also did their homework.

Well, then I saw his April 1st joke today and I hit the unsubscribe button.

He presented a so called snapshot preview (which actually exists) and claimed that there were new redstone blocks being added, and then explained all of those in full detail. First of all it was plain out boring (my opinion anyway) but also plain out unbelievable because only a few days ago he didn't even knew the slightest details about some of the new features.

That's where I seriously draw the line. If you try to make a guide-like video then at the very least take some required effort to get your facts straightened out. If you can't be bothered to do that then please don't make the video and/or guide until that time when you can.

It's for a very good reason why I always test things myself for use in my guides. Right up to a point where some of those guides even managed to help the dev. team with discovering some bugs and obscurities.

So yah... looking back I have to agree with you guys on this one :)

Back on topic!

In the mean time some players and me have been trying to get a parrot to copy the Enderdragon sounds but so far the results were all the same: the dragon ate (or cooked!) the parrot :D

I also noticed something interesting... It seems that resource pack authors have some work to do, assuming they customized the dragon breath. Here's what I noticed when trying to fight the Ender dragon on the snapshot while I had my resource pack active:

Notice the square around the dragonfire charge?

I tried fighting the Ender dragon with and without the resource pack active and it's definitely related to the resource pack. The only thing left to do though is to check how this looks on 1.11.2, so far I haven't (legitimately) fought the dragon so I can't be 100% sure that this is caused by a change in the snapshot.

Oh: for the record: Wither + Enderdragon is hilarious ;) Because the wither shoots on everything he sees he'll soon get a whole bunch of Enderman after it. Unfortunately the Ender dragon seems always more interested in fighting you than the wither: I tried but couldn't get them to fight each other (though I can't rule out the option that the wither also shot the Ender dragon a few times, I still have 2 (caged) end crystals to deal with in this world).
    607 likes this.
  17. There's a new snapshot out now.

See how fast mass-crafting can be now that shift-clicking works in the recipe book. ;)

P.S: Still no colored beds, yet.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  18. Thanks for the update!

I went over the snapshot page and yeah; they definitely introduced new bugs :) First I noticed that my recipe book was completely gone, I have no idea how that happened. I removed all the 1.12 config files and restarted the whole thing, now I got those back. I'm going to check my server next.

But I noticed something peculiar: ....and it fixed itself. For a moment I had some birch logs which I used to make planks, then I made some sticks and then a crafting table. But at the start of my game I had nothing. No advancements, no recipies, nothing. And when I had those logs I did see recipes for planks, but all the recipes to make any tools were hidden. But that eventually fixed itself.

I think that the advancements will be easier to accept as an achievement replacement now that they also get announced.

(edit) I think they should also allow a parrot to sit on your head :D
    607 likes this.
  19. New Snapshot Update!