Films you would like to see in cinema

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 607, Oct 26, 2020.

?

How often have you gone to a cinema, in your life?

Never. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
One to ten times. 5 vote(s) 26.3%
Eleven to twenty-five times. 2 vote(s) 10.5%
Over twenty-five times. 12 vote(s) 63.2%
  1. Hi, it's me again!

Now that the The Lord of the Rings films are showing in cinemas, I was thinking about which films I would like to see in cinema. I considered going to the The Lord of the Rings screenings, but I wanted to do so with my sister, but she thinks she wouldn't be able to manage such a long film (they're screening the extended editions, which aren't even intended for cinema :p), and it's plausible that I wouldn't get through it either.
    In general, I rarely go to the cinema, because it is fairly intense and fairly expensive, and I don't have any friends or family who like going to the cinema. For these reasons, I prefer only going to the cinema when I know the film I'm going to watch is good. But that's pretty hard to judge when you've not seen it before. :p
    However, there are films I love that I would like to see in cinema!
    First and foremost:
    • The Lion King
    When the 2019 remake was showing, I was quite disappointed that there weren't screenings of the 1994 original, in addition. Surely they weren't expecting the remake to outdo the original, at least not in terms of popularity? The original is extremely well regarded, and I would love to see it on the big screen, with great audio quality.

• Frozen
    Frozen does not have universal acclaim as much, although it was quite popular at launch and the franchise launched out of it is very popular with kids. However, I quite enjoyed the film, and I love the songs. This is not a film I 'yearn' for, but if it would show in cinemas again I'd find someone to watch it with. This is not the case for Frozen II, because while the songs are again great, I did not enjoy the rest of the film.

• How to Train Your Dragon (trilogy)
    I did not find out about HTTYD until all films were out of cinema, and haven't seen the final film yet. The films have great characters and amazing animation though, and the score is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of the 21st century so far. If the trilogy would show in cinemas, I'd go watch all three, as the music and cinematography must be stunning to experience in that way!

• Back to the Future
    I'm not as sure about this one as I think that animation benefits from the big screen more than live action. However, I always enjoy watching these films, and watching them in cinema could be quite the nostalgic experience. Provided I would have the time and money for it, I probably would go to all three parts. :)
    That's it for now, although I might think of more later, of course. But I wonder if there are any previously released films you would like to see in cinema!
  2. Going to a cinema... Over the years, I've been therea couple of times, and while I did always really enjoy it, I personally don't really find the experience to be that much better from just watching it at home. And it's expensive and a massive hassle to get there, sooo... :p

I don't really know that many films, so/and there also isn't anything at this moment that I've been wanting to watch, be it at home or in a cinema (except for Back to the Future III, at home with my family - we've watched I and II, but not III yet. Mostly because we've forgotten about it. :p).
    Egeau and 607 like this.
  3. Does that depend on the way you watch it at home, too? I do think that for me, the advantage of seeing a film in the cinema as opposed to at home decreased when we got an LCD tv (which was in 2017, if I recall correctly). Also, with a great surround sound speaker setup, the audio advantage would also be much less big. However, currently we don't have any speakers set up at all (we used to, but the stereo amplifier was acting up more and more often, and because the LCD tv has good speakers built-in, contrary to the CRT we had before it, we just use those).
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  4. Probably, yeah. Though our TV setup is not really that fancy either. Just a 40" TV that's waaayy too far away and from before 2010, I think. Our audio setup is quite decent (but more than 20 years old).

I actually watch pretty much everything on my phone, so I can properly see everything, and can lie down. :) I've even watched a couple of films like this, very comfortable! Though for the last film I watched I switched to my laptop after a bit, so I could turn on the subtitles and better understand what was being said. :p
    607 likes this.
  5. I love movies... like a lot. I also LOVE the movie theatre experience and worry about its future thanks to the development of streaming services and recent success of VOD releases. In 2019 alone I went to the theatre 46 times, and I can't remember if that includes the seven films I saw at TIFF. Nonetheless, there are still movies I have not seen in theatres but would love to.

Interstellar
    I finally got the chance to see Christopher Nolan's Inception in theatres a couple of months ago when it celebrated its 10 year anniversary. That experience was amazing. With that said, I never got to experience Nolan's Interstellar in theatres. The film is filled with beautiful shots and stunning effects. I would have to imagine it would be just as fantastic to experience on the big screen as Inception and Tenet was.

Dunkirk
    This is another Christopher Nolan film I would love to see in theatres. While I did see Dunkirk as it released, I watched it at a drive-in. Cool experience, but drive-ins don't offer the best visual/audio spectacle as a theatre does. Oddly enough, my local theatre never had Dunkirk playing in the UltraAVX (Imax) theatre. Hopefully one day I can see it on the big screen.

2001: A Space Odyssey
    I have my own unpopular thoughts on the quality of 2001: A Space Odyssey, although it is undeniable one of the most visually stunning films ever made. I know it returns to cinemas often, so I hope to catch a showing sometime soon (after the pandemic). Although I doubt it would change my opinions on the narrative, maybe a theatrical experience would help me appreciate Kubrick's "masterpiece" more.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049
    Okay, I actually did see Blade Runner 2049 in theatres, but I would love to see it again. While I loved my first experience with Blade Runner 2049, I don't think I fully got the chance to appreciate the incredible work of art that Villeneuve crafted. On the other hand, I haven't seen the original Blade Runner in theatres, but would also love that experience. Both of these films are visual icons in the sci-fi genre, and in cinema as a whole.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and The Return of the King is my second favourite movie of all time. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to see this perfect trilogy in theatres. The moment the chance jumps up in my area, I will be immersing myself in Middle Earth once more!

Citizen Kane
    Citizen Kane is often labelled the "greatest film of all time." Whether or not you agree with that (I don't), it is nonetheless a fantastic landmark in cinematic history. I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to see Parasite in theatres. I know that film will be looked back upon as one of the 21st centuries greatest films. Now I seek to see one of the 20th centuries greatest films. Hopefully theatres will be playing Citizen Kane before Netflix releases Mank.

Birdman
    1917's "long shot" style was stunning and won Roger Deakins many well deserved cinematography awards last year. With that said, Birdman is arguably the better "long shot" styled film in almost every way. I already think it's a 10/10 experience at home, I could only imagine how great it would be in theatres.

There are so many more films I would love to see in theatres. These ones are just the first to pop into my head. Not sure if I'll write another list of films but we'll see.
    607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  6. It's great that you put this amount of dedication into movies, buuut... don't you have something to work on? :p
    DaybreakerMC likes this.

7. Anyway should probably get this thread back on track... I've never really been a fan of movies or cinema... I have nothing to contribute :p
    DaybreakerMC likes this.
  8. If you got a giant white wall and a digital projector, the theater can be your home. That being said the experience is truly different between the atmospheres. So if cinemas was open again and we'd be allowed to go than I'd say I'd love to sees something new like Wonder Women 1984.
    607 and DaybreakerMC like this.
  9. My town’s only cinema just closed down forever because of COVID, so... it’d be nice to see anything in the cinema again (without having to drive 30 minutes to the nearest one in the city).
    DaybreakerMC likes this.
  10. Anyway now that my essay (that Waffle felt inclined to point out I had) is completed and handed in, I can go back to writing about movies! Woo!

Star Wars Episodes I-IV
    I had the great privilege of seeing Star Wars Episodes VII-IX (and the spin-offs) in theatres. Well, it was a privilege at least. The Force Awakens is one I don't love much or hate much, but seeing the return of Star Wars to theatres after 10 years was quite the environment. The Last Jedi is the most controversial, but arguably the one I'd imagine is the best theatrical experience. The colours pop beautifully and the cinematography is at its peak in Star Wars (rivalled maybe by Rogue One). The Rise of Skywalker was an underwhelming theatrical experience both narratively and visually. Nonetheless, I would love to experience the other six Star Wars films in theatres. Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith most notably. Empire Strikes Back was recently playing but I missed the opportunity. Hopefully someday though...

Alien and Aliens
    Sure, neither of these films scream theatrical experience to me. However, I love them both (mostly Alien), and really want to see them in theatres. If nothing else, the theatrical experience would build the suspense of Alien and increase the epic scale of Aliens. Also, for a bonus Ridley Scott film I wish I had seen in theatres: Gladiator.

The Lion King
    The Lion King (1994) was already mentioned by 607 earlier, and I absolutely agree. Much like the 2016 Jungle Book remake, the 2019 The Lion King was visually stunning. Unlike the 2016 Jungle Book, the 2019 The Lion King isn't very good. The classic is where it's at. In fact, The Lion King (1994) is in my top 10 movies of all time. More the reason I wish to see it in theatres.

La La Land
    My favourite movie of all time and the movie I regret not seeing in theatres most. That said, when I first watched La La Land I had no idea what it would eventually mean to me and my journey as someone very into cinema. Nonetheless, I had the chance to see it and I didn't! Angry, very angry! One day I will see it in theatres. It lost the Best Picture award to Moonlight, which another fantastic film I would love to see in theatres.

Gojira (Godzilla, 1954)
    The original Godzilla film. I've seen both of the recent American Godzilla films in theatres. Ironically, King of the Monsters is a lot worse than Godzilla (2014), but I enjoyed King of the Monsters much more. It's one of the rare times I let my experience as a fan overtake my experience as a critic. Yeah, I'm a huge Godzilla fan. I saw King of the Monsters three times in theatres. I grew up on Godzilla fighting King Ghidorah with the help of Mothra. No way I was missing that experience. With that said, Gojira is on a whole other level. The movie isn't even about Godzilla. It is one I'd love to see on the big screen.

There Will Be Blood
    I wouldn't consider many of Paul Thomas Anderson's films to have a theatrical requirement to them, but There Will Be Blood definitely feels like it earns that. It's an amazing film with outstanding performances and fantastic visuals. Honestly, probably my favourite of Paul Thomas Anderson's work, and one I wish I was able to see in theatres.

Vertigo
    My favourite of Alfred Hitchcock's work (that I've seen) is Vertigo. While I can say that I'd love to see Psycho on the big screen, it is Vertigo that takes my focus more. I'm telling you right now that we take colour for granted in films. Back in 1958 colour certainly wasn't the newest thing, it had been around, although it still wasn't super well established yet. That being said, when it was used, it was used. Vertigo holds some of the best usage of colour I've ever seen in cinema period. That, and it's just a crazy good movie.

Parasite
    Yes, I know, I've seen Parasite in theatres. That doesn't stop me from wanting to watch it in theatres again! They had a black and white version showing in very select theatres, I wish I had been able to see that. Just ANYTHING! Parasite is a perfect movie. I would love to see this perfect movie in theatres again.
    (If you haven't seen Parasite, I highly recommend it!)
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  11. The Lion King (1994), Toy Story 1 and 2, Chicken Run and perhaps even Monsters Inc.
    None of the modern movies interest me.
    Nickblockmaster and Stnywitness like this.
  12. You know what, I just got reminded of Dunkirk.

Dunkirk is the story of how thousands of British soldiers were evacuated from Dunkirk, France in the Second World War. It’s a story told through action sequences, the sounds of planes that were designed to make noises that terrified those that heard it, with practically no meaningful dialogue. One of the only Chris Nolan films I can stand (love his Batman trilogy, Interstellar was great but really on-the-nose pretentious, Inception and Tenet can burn in hell).

Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it in the cinema, but it’s a movie clearly designed for that and it was a great experience just on the living room TV.

That, and Infinity War (2018) and Endgame (2019). I wouldn’t necessarily go to watch them again, but I’d love to experience them for the first time in the cinema again. The action was just amazing to watch on a giant screen and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time I watched them. I still love them now and I’ve rewatched them a few times, but nothing recreates that feeling I got watching them at the cinema. Endgame was also the last movie I watched with my dad in the cinema, which he took me to every weekend as a kid, and he was the one who got me into Marvel movies because he always took me with him to get comics, so... holds a special place in my heart.
  13. I came here to say this. I saw BR2049 is cinemas when it first come out and I regret not going again. For me it's mainly the sound, because no home theatre can match the massive sound of a cinema. I just remember being blown away by the opening shots (both aurally and visually) and I want to experience that again.
  14. I'd like to see Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark in the cinema again. I saw it when it first came out and enjoyed the sound effects that I can only replicate at home by cranking the volume all the way up, and that isn't good for being neighborly and the speakers.
    I also enjoy getting a large endlessly refillable bucket of buttered popcorn.
    I wouldn't and don't go to the cinema that much because it would lose it's charm.
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  15. I would like to see a movie that shows what happens with coders
  16. Well, I was not expecting anyone to say this. :p Even Tom's got some appreciation for films, apparently. ;)
    I wonder what you mean by 'modern', if you named those four films? :p

Thanks for the replies!
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  17. I really like the idea of this thread and I don't want to see it get lost in the history of EMC threads this quickly, so... here are some movies that I wish I HADN'T seen in theatres.

Cats
    Yes, that Cats. I saw it in theatres opening night December 19th, 2019 right after my first showing of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. It was so bad it tricked me into thinking The Rise of Skywalker was good for a short while. Four people were in the theatre. Two of those were my brother and I. About half an hour in the two other people left, saying it was "the worst movie they had ever seen." The rest of the time it was just my brother and I screaming at the screen wishing for it to be over. I would never wish that suffering upon anyone else.

Nine Lives
    Another movie about cats. Also terrible. Also only went to see it because it sounded terrible. Also wish I hadn't seen it. Remembering things like this makes me question my life choices. That's 87 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

A bunch of comic book movies
    Let's start in 2013 with Thor: The Dark World, which I thankfully barely remember seeing in theatres. Although, since I could watch it today and forget everything about it tomorrow, that's not saying much. In 2016 Suicide Squad released. You'll get a better experience watching the trailer than you will the movie. I haven't seen it since and I have no desire to see it again (Birds of Prey was much better anyway). In 2017 Justice League released. I haven't seen it since and I have no desire to see it again. However, I will watch Zack Snyder's version when it releases since I like his style. Ant-Man and the Wasp is so dull and that's all I have to say about it. In 2019 I saw both Captain Marvel movies in theatres and I wasn't fond of either. Marvel's Captain Marvel was a formulaic superhero movie with an invincible hero and no tension. DC's Captain Marvel (Shazam!) was a formulaic superhero movie with an invincible hero and no tension.

Independence Day: Resurgence
    I don't know why they made it. I don't know why I saw it. Neither should have happened.

Yeah. Theatres are great and all but not every movie is worth seeing.
    Nickblockmaster, Stnywitness and 607 like this.
  18. I had missed some posts!
    Hm. :p
    I'd love to know more about this film, as it seems like different people have different opinions on it, and I wonder if it's something my family would enjoy.
    That sounds interesting, I'm not sure if I'd heard about it before!
    Considering that it is a live action film, in what remarkable ways does it use colour?
    DaybreakerMC likes this.
  19. Vertigo is a mystery film and Hitchcock implements a lot of psychological elements to it (as he usually does with his films). Almost every instance of colour in the film is methodical with the intention of adding to that psychological element. There's not much I can say without spoiling (and I would never spoil a masterpiece such as this), but if you watch it look for the motifs and subtle hints. Specifically the colours of green and red. Also, even if it's grey, it has a purpose.

I also want to add on a response to the "Considering that it is a live action" film portion. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I'm inferring that the question is worded in a way that undermines the use of colour in live-action. Animated films typically make the best use of colour since they are actively working with it. However, live-action movies are just as capable of achieving brilliant usage of colour. Even films like Spielberg's Schindler's List, that is primarily black and white, makes marvelous use of colour. Basically look at anything made by Stanley Kubrick, Wes Anderson, or Steven Spielberg. Some more examples of specific films include: Mad Max: Fury Road, Drive, The Matrix, Blade Runner 2049, Children of Men, and even The Godfather. Basically, use of colour in film is less about the type of film (live-action/animated) and more about the filmmakers behind the project
    607 likes this.