Controversial Topics in Statuses

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, May 20, 2018.

1. Ok! so who did I upset this time? :(
    FadedMartian and MoreMoople like this.
  2. Your 4 examples would all be allowed because they are personal statuses created with the intention of not starting a debate/controversy.
    FadedMartian, Jelle68 and We3_MPO like this.
  3. Maybe so (though I'm pretty sure that there are much more players involved).

But why would this be a bad thing? I'd rather have this turned around because of honest mistakes made by regular players rather than one or more trolls who only want to cause problems and incite drama. There's really no need to feel bad, and you also should not take these rule changes personal.
    haastregt and 607 like this.
  4. Good, very good. :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  5. So: basically: the few people who aren't able to have an interesting conversation ruin the fun for everyone, as always.
    I mean, with most close friends of mine, we usually tend to talk about the stuff we disargree on rather than the things we argree on. Okay, the disargreing usually is deeper in the nuances than I'd ever take something on emc (I have tried, nobodey got what I ment, probably due to my bad English) but that are the interesting converastions.

You kind of confuse me here: You say it is disallowed to post discussions on the topic, but that aren't discussions, so, I'd like to ask, where is the line:

"Sign this petition: [link] to help support trans rights in your regio!"
    "All support trans rights"
    "still not understanding why some people don't support trans rights - we're human, we're plain awesome!"
    "I'm trans. I'm proud.
    "I finally got through the burocrasy, I'm going to be phisically female :)"

The first one, I would totally understand to be disallowed: as it'd defenetely start a discussion. The second one, I, personally would allow, maybe. The hhird one I think should be legal, but I understand people not liking it. The other two just should be legal in my eyes.
    But, if I understand you correctly, only the last one whould be allowed.
    I would disargree with that, and change the rules from "don't post anything that can lead to serious discussion as a status (or anythhing)" to"Don't start a discussion about a status, if someone feels like that, let them be" and make it allowed to post things about controversial topics in statuses, just statues, no posts on someone else's profile page. As I think your profile page is "your" place and the place to post what you feel when you're not looking for a discussion, but just want to say it, express yourself.

Also,
    Mental health!? Isn't that the one thing to post in a status if you have to deal with problems with it? When their own, Isn't that the one topic your should always encourige people to talk about? I compleatly understand it would be inapropriete to discrible suicide, and maybe some other things, but when you've been in a closed device for two weeks due to your depression, schitzophrinia, or whatever (like one of my best friends...) the status is the way to go. It's not as loud as making an enire thread, but it reaches the people you want to reach: both explaining why you were away and telling them you feel better now. If someone whould go and start a debate about if depression is real or something, I don't know (I didn't know it was a controversial topic...), under a post like that, that person is just a flippin' butthole to not understand that is the time nor place to discuss, and, in my oppinion, should get one serious warning. Which discussions where have lead to to make this probably obviously in my oppinoin redicules desicion?
  6. The last 2 would be fine.
    The rule change wording you propose would result in the "debates" happening across statuses and turn the recent status list into a thread itself. That's fine for fun things, but not for controversial topics. These topics weren't allowed in the past and we now allow them with the condition they were posted in controversial threads only. There's not actually any change in rules, it's more of a finally drawing a line where people kept skirting around the current rules.
    We3_MPO and 607 like this.
  7. Here's my 2 cents about this thread and well, emc & it's community here. I can think of no other server where we as a community can let our feeling about a decision be known and we get a response not only from the community but from the staff. I've seen decisions changed because of the community's honest and respectful input about whatever it was that was on the table at the time. (I'm certainly not suggesting that you make this a head butting thing with staff. o_o)
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is just one example of why I love this place .. not just a game to me, it's a far reaching community that I'm very glad to be part and am on some occasions overwhelmingly happy that I found you. <3
    We3_MPO and 607 like this.
  8. That is indeed great. :) I can express my concerns knowing Krysyy knows how to handle them. I don't need to be afraid she'll ignore me, I don't need to be afraid she'll dislike me, nor do I have to be afraid I'll pressure her into making bad decisions. I am still always amazed. :)
    crystaldragon13 and We3_MPO like this.
  9. This sounds very subjective, but I believe this is great!
    We3_MPO likes this.
  10. Reading all the questions about this I can safely assume...

Just make sure you follow rule 8-1: Don't cause public drama. If a player is known to cause drama well I can safely assume staff knows these players and they can shut down such posts being posted.

With that said... Status for goofs like
    Is fine because it won't cause drama because the intent of this status was a Joke, same applies for just personal, "Is red better than blue" It's a harmless status update. Sure there are others who like red over than blue but come on, who's going to really take the time to argue their preference? If you do... Well, it's time to stop and why we have a reporting system.

Again it's really simple to think what is really controversial or not. I remember one instance of a player talking about how EMC staff wasn't giving enough protection to trans people and everyone started to attack that player because they were tired of such nonsense being said. Or how I remember political drama happened with the 2016 election and everyone was at each other necks. Stuff like that that isn't necessary to fight on other people's profiles, it's mean and degrading of both parties.

Take home this, just be smart (And nice) on what you post and think a little bit before posting on your/other profile(s). If it bothers you that much to argue with someone, take it privately.
  11. I find no reason why this new rule shouldn't be in place, in perfectly makes sense, statuses are meant to be for your personal self and for you to express what you're up to and what's on your mind, controversy is meant for another subforum. Adding on 607's comment, I do agree you should still be allowed to mention mildly controversial topics with what's going on with you, but you should not be allowed to spark a debate or state controversial things which you KNOW will start an argument.

Our profiles should reflect our personal selves and should be a great place to express yourself, it's not good for you or for others when that personal place becomes a battle field, where you can seriously hurt eachother and ruin relationships.
    FadedMartian, 607 and We3_MPO like this.
  12. Yeah... The debate that has been going on is about where that line is, what is the difference between saying something personal and saying something that easily could start a debate, as those two kind of overlap... I mean, I by now know it isn't a good idea for to talk about doing a lot of work as a volenteer for greenpeace, It's totally personal, but quite a lot of people would strongly disargree and want to start a debate. When it would be for Amesty International on the other hand, it wouldn't be a problem, even though the things you do are the same.

Next to that I personally strongly disargree with the mental health part, as I know quite a lot of people with a serious depression in real life, and know how importand it is to talk about it.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  13. So, people since the beginning of the forums (in my 6 years anyway) have had bible verses in their status/signature. I myself had one for a long time about laying one's life down for a friend.. until I thought it might not go so well with my list of staff murders. I imagine this is fine, then? As it's not prompting a debate.
    607 likes this.
  14. Correct.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  15. On a Minecraft forum, not everyone is comfortable with suicide, etc. I'm not saying you can't talk about it at all. I'm saying there is a place for it that I can monitor for access reasons. I can't revoke access to see recent status updates. There is also a line after which we would ask the player to not post. This isn't an immediate ban offense or anything. Just a way to keep the forums safe and clean for ALL players.
    607 and We3_MPO like this.
  16. Agreed. I'd like to add I'm happy you've removed my status a couple of times. Sometimes a status update can be a nice vent, but if a particular message might be bad for others, it's also good if it gets removed afterwards (after someone posts it, I mean). In such cases I'd remove the status myself as soon as I'm doing better again, but that can take a bit of time.
    We3_MPO likes this.
  17. Hmm, I'm wondering if there is an option for people to turn off seeing other people's Statuses.

Frankly, I've never understood the whole "Don't be controversial" thing. I get trying to make EMC a community with a positive atmosphere and encouraging game/community-relevant debate that leads to improvements rather than people "shouting" their opinions at each other without constructive discussion (or about completely EMC-unrelated topics). Certainly some topics should be deemed inappropriate due to the large number of minors that are EMC members, and other statements would be inappropriate based on the rules or just common decency. I also get how even though many of us may live in geographic areas that are considered to promote "free speech" that EMC servers and forums do not qualify as "public space" and even in the public domain many localities have certain restrictions of speech deemed appropriate for keeping peace and order.

However, at some point there has to be some personal responsibility placed on people when it comes to the choice of being offended over something someone else has posted. There is no one forcing anyone to engage in debate or argument, or even to continue reading someone's comments if they disagree with them.
  18. This. Several of the things I've posted as statuses that have gotten me into trouble because people got offended over them are just sarcastic jokes, including the one that prompted this thread being created. It's not even me trying to annoy people, I just live in a place where the sense of humour is like that... and I also don't have a filter, which I take full responsibility for.
    FadedMartian likes this.
  19. There is no way to limit viewing statuses as of now. The topics banned from statuses are the same ones that used to be banned from the entirety of EMC and really don't need to be discussed on a family friendly server.
    We3_MPO and Tuqueque like this.