Controversial Thread System Change

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krysyy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. I mean technically yes. We remove access to the marketplace/auctions for players that are not following auction host/bidding rules.

Message me if you want more info.
    607 and Eviltoade like this.
  2. I might have explained poorly but I wasn't suggesting to add whhat is and isn't legal in every country, I was suggesting to add that some things discussed ouls be illegal in other countries.
    And no, from my experience, you're not informed that often that cartain oppinions are illegal to spread, due to you usually not knowing that that oppinion exicts. I was informed some people beleved you can "cure" gays by someone here arguing it was the case, which quite shocked me. I knew that I live in the country which first allowed same-sex marrige I knew that that was beleved in the past, every part had been explained to me. I just didn't know some people still had that oppinion, apart from some in some radical religious countries.
    I don't know exactly how I'd list it, I just think it needs to adress that there is this wester European (or any other group of countries) - American political culture shock that people who never participated in a debate on an American forum probably don't know is there. Mainly not the young Europeans, where the USA is seen as just another western country.
    (I am kind of tiered, sorry for the poor explenations and English)

Probably not... The money spend on it basically derectly goes to an organisation that tries to improof eviromental awareness and invests in renewable energy. (assuming Bill Gates contignues giving that much money to those things) Anyway, he wouldn't if he'd know that.
    he anyway probably doesn't have "a" minecraft accound, in the sence that he probably either got none or plenty.
  3. I think this is a FANTASTIC idea.It gives maximum control and responsibility to each individual who chooses to participate on this forum. In fact, I like it so much that I am going to make use of it and not opt-in to the controversial thread section going forward. Cheers!
  4. You are now making this thread a controversial thread itself LOL
    Jelle68, 607, We3_MPO and 2 others like this.
  5. I was afraid of that too, that's why I refrained from replying. ;)
    FadedMartian likes this.
  6. Yeah... I know I am good at starting discussions sometimes... I was very much trying to give a suggestion without doing that though. If I would have derectly explained it properly / if kryssy would have derectly understood me correctly, it probably also would've been just that. Jet, I for some reason cannot stand it when people misunderstand something I say, I just had to explain it again :p
    FadedMartian and Otus_NigRum like this.
  7. Ah, wasn't even aware that we could comment :) And since it's the weekend :eek:

My opinion on this is actually two-faced.

Personally I think the forums should be opt-out because it's basically a part of what the EMC forums have to offer. This allows everyone to, anonymously if they want to, read up on what is going on within the section.

However... With these things I don't only look at what I think, I also try to look at what's best for the group (the Empire in this case) and then make a decision based on that.

And well... Being a former participant of the forums (and with the intention to continue this) I still voted for opt-in.

Because I think we should also not forget a very important issue here: this forum, heck: whole community, is first and foremost centered around this game called Minecraft, the online Aikar edition :D Anything beyond that is in my opinion the well known "icing on the cake".

And although many center figures within the EMC community are growing up and then feel the need for small changes here and there, it's also important to realize that it's not only about you. There are also dozens of players here who... well... Let's just say that I can well imagine if they nor their parents want to be confronted with those more mature topics on a platform intended for a rather innocent and harmless game.

That is the other side of the medal.

So yeah.. Kudo's to the community and the staff for picking what I believe is the right choice here.

Now lets get back to mining :D
    607, Jelle68 and ZoraFay like this.
  8. Not to beat a dead horse since my sentiments have been expressed multiple times over by other players here, but the controversial section being so prominent on the front page was... just odd. I imagine most of us came here to play Minecraft, not discuss politics or sexuality; that part really is optional (as Shel put it above, 'icing on the cake').

Personally, I didn't like being greeted with the controversial topics every time I logged in. Sure, they're still there for me :p but they're less.... chaotic, I suppose is a good word for it, and this change will benefit the community as a whole, I'm sure of it. I feel more again like I'm playing Minecraft with my friends and I feel more inspired to have more fun with y'all in general (events!).
  9. Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes the opt-in idea. :)
    We3_MPO and FadedMartian like this.
  10. This just proves that people are still too immature, be it rude or fragile minded, to accept other peoples point of views and respond in kind with respect. With this removed, the uber offended can no longer be too offended when their world view is challenged. At the same time those who live to troll others can't see opportunity outright, but they can still get access to it, so no real change there.

My question is, without exposure, how can anyone develop the ability to mature in their arguments, get some thicker skin, and accept there are others who think differently? They most certainly not getting it in colleges that will throw riots and have professors hitting people with bike locks for being an opposing view. If anyone caught the vids of high school teachers preaching against the system, rather than teaching the math class they are suppose to be teaching, knows they are not getting it in high school. SO where do they get it?

Opt in is ok, at least those who have thick skin and a mindset ready for a topic or subject they find controversial will not be too shocking or surprising to them. None the less, it leaves out those with limited ability to see it. It also shows me the power of common sense to just not look at something offensive is not prevalent in the majority mindset. See something offensive? Don't. Look away, and have the willpower not to get involved. If they wish to get involved, but they have not the maturity to properly engage, than most certainly peer pressure will assist them in getting right. A study on peer pressure was done where signs that say "DONT DO _X_" are far less effective than new signs that state, "MOST PEOPLE DONT DO _X_." The mental effect of going against public opinion can be positive in this light, therefor I conclude it would work in the controversial section where most people in there can light a small fire under a troll or overly offended individual by showing, "MOST PEOPLE DO NOT OVERREACT AND CAN RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES OPINOIN."

Im sad I didn't get to vote on this because I was busy all day. Still, one vote over that much of a majority wouldn't have done much.

The PC culture has ruined living itself. I am aware that in some countries, it is illegal to be caught committing "wrong think" and that by disagreeing with a protected group's opinion or system of belief can land somebody in jail. This is what happens when you "protect" others from opposing views in my opinion. It gets to this level. The issue is, feelings are subjective and everyone feels differently on just about every subject. Offend said person's feeling and boom, jail time.

tl;dr
    People shouldn't be protected from offensive or different opinions or they will wind up being weak minded, intolerant, ignorant people. They need exposure and the ability to reason whether to participate when they see something in the open or just walk away.
  11. I disagree with your overall message, I'm quite certain. However, I can't tell anything in specific I disagree with.
    Perhaps somebody else will help me out. :)
    We3_MPO and Jelle68 like this.
  12. *my opinion*

But this is a Minecraft server...

In my opinion this change has nothing to do with people being offended by controversial subjects, but everything to do with the hostile environment that was created in our community.
    The controversial section exists to engage in discussions about topics that are divisive throughout society. Many of our users want a platform to discuss these things; but as a Minecraft forum, we do not want this to be a defining aspect of our forums. There are countless other places on the internet where people can troll and yell at each other without listening to the other side. Non-Minecraft controversial threads should not be the first thing a new player sees when visiting our forum.

Just because the controversial forum is now opt-in, does not mean that everyone automatically gets a guaranteed pass in. This gives a better gate to removing users that cause trouble in the controversial section - but may be perfect community members elsewhere on EMC.
    Before, it is was a punishment to have your access revoked.
    Now, I see it as you are granted the privilege to access until you violate the rules of the forum. Not based on the subject matter, but trolling or personal insults.

To answer your question, personally.

Yes it is important to understand why others think differently. But I question the use of the word "accept" when describing how we view others that think differently. I do think it is important that every person treats all people with respect regardless of what that person thinks or has done. That does not transfer over to not being allowed to state you disagree with that person in the name of tolerance.

My point, there is a time and place. I think it is very inappropriate for someone to be harassed, specifically in a personal setting. Once it enters a debate setting or public medium of discussion, it is important for all ideas to have opportunity to be heard - assuming they are respectful of certain personal boundaries which are certainly difficult to define. One should be able to acknowledge that they have a differing opinion, but no person is under an obligation to personally accept that "it is okay for the other person think that different way".
    wafflecoffee, We3_MPO, Slvr and 2 others like this.
  13. I agree with much of your general sentiment. But there is nothing preventing people from engaging in the same kinds discussions in which they did before. It's simply an opt-in feature. Nobody is being prevented from expressing themselves and those who choose to participate in the controversial threads section will be subject to the same moderation standards that were already in place.