Anti-Griefing Update! 8/15/16

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. It's still a grief and needs to be reported as such.

This update is amazing and I'm looking forward to being able to play more instead of spending so much time dealing with griefs big and small.

To the people who constantly build and rebuild public farms. Contact me and let's start a fund to get this protected by SS.
    Gawadrolt, 607, ESSELEM and 2 others like this.
  2. Could you please add
    Nether brick
    Nether brick slabs
    Nether brick stairs
    Birch wood
    And all types of stone bricks
    To the list?
    ShelLuser and Moonglum_ like this.
  3. The netherbrick variants occur all over the place in the nether and that is why they are not on the list. To protect these, simply enable build mode while you are placing them. If you have a large structure that you do not want to re-place, then request the SS service. For the other blocks, they wouldn't auto-add to the protections and be unbreakable because the log wouldn't exist for them immediately, but we can discuss these additions for a later date.
    Wanderton, 607 and khixan like this.
  4. Awesome update.

Well done Aikar. Bravo.
    khixan and AlexC__ like this.
  5. Say I have a friend helping me build a build... how would that work? Would I have half or can I have it all and give him permission when they are on? Coz I don't want to protect it after.... ?
  6. I think you just need to be out of /buildmode.
  7. Sorry for the confusion from our Staff here, but this is the correct answer:
    If you used COMMON blocks prior to the update, then these blocks will NOT be protected and you can either replace them in build mode to protect them, or request the SS service.
    If you used UNCOMMON blocks, as listed out in the 2nd post, then the blocks are protected by default.

After getting an area protected by SS service, all blocks will be protected as if you placed them in build mode at the time of placement. Any NEW blocks that you add you will want to turn build mode on for.

As for the 1 minute warning in the action bar, we had to think about this for a very long time. We moved it to the action bar in order to remove the spam it caused in chat, but we will have it there for all players. It serves as a reminder that anything you are placing will not be breakable and is set to default off everytime you log in. This is to prevent accidental griefing by placement of blocks. This option will not be toggleable.

As for the TNT, I believe so, but we'll have to run more tests on the current set-up.

As owner of the established outpost, you have the option to either A) allow people's blocks that are currently covered to remain under their name or B) overwrite protection to your name alone. You may edit your friends setting to a 'whitelist' for blockbreaks if you prefer, through the /ps menu.
    Wanderton, Zrugite, Kytula and 5 others like this.
  8. I owe you a small apology because I blatantly "stole" this idea, but this sounded just too good not to follow up on.

GRIP will be donating around 200k for public farm protections. Reminds me to update that post, credit where credit's due.
  9. If you are the owner of the build, then you have a few options.
    You can either:
    A) Have the common blocks that PlayerB places be protected underneath their name by them enabling build mode.
    B) Have the common blocks that PlayerB places be protected underneath their name during build, then under your name by requesting an override with the SS service once complete.
    C) Have the common blocks that PlayerB places be unprotected during build, then request SS service to change any non-protected blocks to your name once complete.

For cases B and C, you will need to prove that you own the location.
    Wanderton and 607 like this.
  10. Thanks Kryssy, but the smp8 public wild utilities are not an official established outpost. They're too close to both spawn and other builds. That's why I was a little like "oh gods, please tell me I can still get them protected!" :)
    Kytula and ShelLuser like this.
  11. Simply prove ownership then and we can do the same, but they'll be second priority in this first spam influx of requests.
    Zrugite, Kytula, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sounds awesome but can't players just use /buildmode and build a wall around the frontier? How can we prevent that from happening? No onee will be able to get thru that wall. :/
  13. No problem (in addition to the 50 page 1000+ posts thread, I did help build all of them LOL), and sweet! I'll happily wait in line :) Many thanks!
    --doing happy dances-- :D
    Wanderton, ChickenDice, tuq1 and 4 others like this.
  14. Staff will be able to clear the protection quickly and remove the hindrance. You would contact staff in the same manner you would for any other griefing :)
    Wanderton, 607, Krysyy and 1 other person like this.
  15. The next best thing since the introduction of Dragon tombs, keep up the good work.
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  16. *claps*
    khixan likes this.
  17. Yes the Anti-Grief Update is here!!! :D
    khixan likes this.
  18. Something occurred to me... What's the policy going to be with regards to unwanted changes by people in your friends list? Would that count as griefing or would this follow the same rules as in town?

Reason I ask: in town there's little staff can do on residences because eventually people gave others access, and if those players then abuse that it would be the responsibility of the player first and foremost. Sounds reasonable to me.

But you could also apply this to the new protection system. By default everyone in your friends list will have build access to your protected structures, unless you change these settings in your player settings (/ps). Even so: by adding them to your friends list one could argue that you gave players permission as well. Even if you didn't (just because you can remove something doesn't imply that you have to).

As such my question: if players in your friends list grief then I assume that this will be considered griefing with all the possible attached results?
    khixan and 607 like this.
  19. If someone in your friends list places a block, then you can break it if their settings are set to allow you to.
    If you cannot break a block that is in your way at your outpost, then it tells you who you need to contact to receive permission. If the player refuses to give you permission to break the block, THEN you can report it for griefing, if applicable.

If you grief someone who gave you permissions, the logs are still there and we will still punish if necessary. If the player reports a griefing, then it's still a griefing. This system protects against 95% of the causes of griefing and is not a full residence system with complete control. That is reserved for the Empires Update.
  20. Awesome.... I shall now rule the wild
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.