Anti-Griefing Update! 8/15/16

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. they've been there long before that
  2. <happy skeleton noise> Finally a awesome idea! Well done Aikar. This is skeleton approved :p
    khixan and AyanamiKun like this.
  3. Factions much? :) Block the bottom too so they can't place a draining hopper underneath.
  4. Great update. Thanks Aikar and Dev team.
    khixan likes this.
  5. Alright fine, I'll be the one to complain.

You.. you gave away... the whole list? :confused:

But... but that was supposed to be kept unknown, so players wouldn't know which blocks are not logged. And the whole point of that was so players couldn't go into a base and break all the non-logged blocks and get away with it.

These "common" blocks are still not logged, right? So now, since no one can grief uncommon/logged blocks, then every possible case of griefing will, by definition, be on common/non-logged blocks, and every griefer will get away with it. Am I wrong?

Okay, so that's why common blocks can be protected with buildmode, but what about all the builds that already contain loads of common blocks? The owners are supposed to pay for a SS service? Essentially, we're paying rupees just to avoid non-logged griefing, which was previously already avoided by the existence of the secret list. We're paying not to lose what we already had. That kinda sounds like a tax, to me. Taxes on EMC confirmed, guys.

----------
    I did not at all compile my friends list thinking about who I want to be able to break my blocks. Nor did a lot of people, I'd imagine. This is a cool option, and I like it, but it should be default off. Lots of players have friends lists but aren't going to see this thread and log on to change settings straight away. I haven't logged on yet, so for all I know people on my list could be breaking my stuff right now. I'd be responsible because I "gave them permission" (just like for a residence griefing), because I added them to my friends list. I just don't see why this permission would be default on.
    ShelLuser, Gawadrolt, Vizsco and 2 others like this.
  6. You can disable friends breaking your blocks and set it true for only certain people. :)
    Uber_Corq and BenMA like this.
  7. I know that it's an option, and I like that it's an option. I'm just saying the default should be 'off' so everyone doesn't have to find out it's a thing, and then rush online to change their settings.
    It makes more sense for the people who want to give their friends permission to have to change the setting to 'on'.
    khixan, kaptrix and WitherDoggie like this.
  8. -1, another great example of how staff thinks players are a bunch of babies.
  9. This isnt a suggestion thread.. This was already released onto the Empire.
    Vizsco, jkjkjk182, kaptrix and 2 others like this.
  10. I agree with this. It would make more sense to have it off by default.

I'm not entirely sure how protecting a players hard work makes us 'babies'. :confused:
    Wanderton, khixan, tuq1 and 4 others like this.
  11. I fail to see your point?
  12. if u would be so concerned why didnt u PM Aikar instead of shouting it out 4 every1 to know? now griefers are sure 2 know b/c u pointed out all details.

am i wrong? ^.^

they dont have to pay. krysyy also told some blocks placed after 2014 or something were already protected.

i dont think ur being fair. protection got added just now, so obviously u cant use that 4 older buildings.

if ur really super concerned (like shelly) then u run out & rebuild the whole thing. im on a break from rebuilding entire railroad in frontier :confused:

but if ur lazy or dont have time then u can pay SS to do that 4 u. thats no tax, thats making things easier on u.

maybe, but friends could already pick up ur death drops so u already had 2 be careful. and u can turn this off.

and u get warning when friends remove ur stuff.
    607 likes this.
  13. most griefers are! teehee ^.^
  14. Not particularly concerned with this update, the thing is, if everyone else is grief protected, and I am by far one of the farther out and barely visible on map outposts, chances are I'm safe without even worrying about this. People will be extremely discouraged from griefing, and if someone wanted to grief anyway, they would have to find me and all my unprotected stuff :3 Thanks, Livemap glitch, for covering up over half my island with black abyss.
  15. Isn't there already a land claiming mod via golden shovel that applies to all blocks?
  16. I have heard of something like this, yes. That doesn't mean that it's what is best for EMC though. Which is why our plugins are custom coded.
    cowland123 and 607 like this.
  17. This looks like a GREAT SYSTEM
    My ONLY concern at this time is to address a potential problems that I and others may encounter.

Since I have been griefed before this update and the offender did place blocks on my build which I may have not removed.
    So how would I get those blocks that would be locked to me removed from my build?
    Should I write a ticket after I find all the ones I can?

And I would assume if a player quits or is booted off the server the blocks they place would return to normal unprotected blocks.

Also, Does the system tell you whose block it is that you are trying to break?
    This would be handy in case you want to PM that player about that build or block concerning adjustments or inquires about abandoned builds.

Abandoned builds are another concern whether protected or not.
  18. Sounds great.
  19. Yes the system tells you whose blocks you are trying to break and includes that if you want to break it, to get their permission.

As for the griefing by placement, staff can select an area and remove the block protections on these blocks if placed maliciously. You can then remove them without issue.
    Zrugite, AyanamiKun and 607 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.