Windows 10: EMC's Recommendation and Win10MC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Food for thought over at The Guardian for those who have already upgraded to Win10. Basically, if you used the default security settings, MS is spying on everything you do, in order to sell advertising to you. . .

Edit: And this article tells you how to opt out.
    Gawadrolt, Lachlan61 and SkareCboi like this.
  2. I already brought this up earlier in this thread and was shutdown by some users. Obviously they don't take privacy as seriously as I do.
    Lachlan61 likes this.
  3. yeah skare you don't want anyone checking your browsing histroy ;)
    Salman_Majid and Perry_Stahlsis like this.
  4. You really could say that about any company. Google has actually said in a court that gmail users should have no reasonable expectation of privacy. It is really just a problem with how much we give technology. Do we want conveniency and services that know us or privacy. It is a big problem in today's world.
  5. I can't seem to find the post you are talking about.
  6. Aikar, I personally recommend the update because before the Windows 10 update I was on windows 8.1 and my Minecraft was slow but since the update there has been a massive improvement in my mc speed. Also there has been no bugs its perfect mc is running a lot faster and servers are faster than before;)
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  7. If you have mc already its free and its pocket edition
  8. I'm typing this from an Acer netbook I bought in 2007, still running XP.
    My desktop is only running Win7 because I started hitting the point where I wanted to play games that were flat-out incompatible (AC3, for example).

I fail to see why I should even care about Win10.
  9. Other people like the features and the hype ;)
  10. Your point is a valid one, this is not unique to MS. My reason for pointing this out is it's just a change from before that's now embedded in a variety of aspects of the OS, according to the article. And this set of privacy/data-gathering options is lacking a singular point to disable all the data gathering (a usability and security no-no -- too easy to miss something important.) As such I'm just trying help keep people informed of their options. Oh, and some people do want the advertisement personalization -- therefore at least some of data gathering turned on. :)
  11. Thanks for the links and it will definitely help people. I just wanted to point out that if people choose note to update just because Microsoft logs data on them if they use the default settings, then they would also need to stop using Google services and only run open source software where they can compile it themselves and be sure nothing else is logging what they do.
  12. Speaking personally: I don't like that Google does this either, but their "targeted advertising" comes in the form of advertisements through my web browser - which I block religiously. I'm not happy that it's necessary, but I've reached a balance to where it doesn't impact my use or enjoyment online.
    I steadfastly refuse to accept a system where that kind of thing is embedded right into my very operating system, however. Simply knowing this has moved Win10 from "meh, don't see why I should care" to a massive "SCREW. THAT." in my mind, so I'm definitely glad of the information, since I would've been royally pissed off if I'd chanced the upgrade and then found out about it.
  13. I find it funny how when I go to a doctor's appointment (things where it can be anywhere from 'you need a blood test for diabetes' to 'you need antibacterial spray for your ear', or 'you might need a hole drilled in your eardrum to let crap out of it') everything I say is logged on a computer using Windows XP. Hospitals use it too. The NHS is 10 years behind in a lot of things: operating systems for their computers is just one of them :p

I'm tempted to upgrade because my taskbar has a fugly icon in it telling me to upgrade, it won't go away, I can't hide it, and whenever I right click on it the menu doesn't go away >.>
    Salman_Majid likes this.
  14. helpful link
    Scroll down to where it says "Permanent fix" and wave goodbye to that sucker. :)
    *You'll have to restart your computer for it to take effect, but having done it myself I promise it works just fine.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  15. I think this is because they scrapped java for the win 10 version. Java is real clunky.
  16. I just got Windows 10 for my computer, and for the first half hour of attempting to run programs (and, of course, asking Cortana stupid questions) nothing worked. When I say nothing, I do not take that term lightly. Not a single program would launch, all that Cortana would do was say "Hello, Caden" and overall, everything was broken.

However, after half an hour of struggles, my computer came to life and worked smoothly and wonderfully, now running Windows 10. It did take some time to master how to speak to Cortana, but eventually, I came out victorious with a 100% working computer.
  17. Always the voice of reason. From an ubuntu user!

Bwahahahahahaha

Ya girl.

:D
    Salman_Majid likes this.
  18. I heard this is because the medical software they use has such poor development it isn't compatible with any later OS and therefor they can't update without losing everything.
  19. So far I have not had any issues with Windows 10, though I will not be downloading the W10 version of Minecraft until I can get on EMC with it.