Windows 10! (And Cortana)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by neonkillah, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Got a reservation on 10 but I'm gonna sit on it for a couple weeks and wait for the reviews to come in.
  2. You missed the windows vs apple thread. This is about Windows 10, not 8.

I am waiting for the update to roll to me. Because my laptop has weird overheating problems, I will probably end up putting a fan under it like I did when I needed to reinstall windows 8. It looks like the sketchiest thing in the world but works great :p. Windows 10 looks amazing, not only because of the big changes (Cortona, start menu) but because of the new shift in what Windows will be. First, Microsoft won't be releasing a huge version every few years and will instead update it slowly overtime. This is HUGE and fixes the exact reason people hate every other version. They now won't feel the need to reinvent themselves every other release and can focus on optimization and making things better. Also, Windows 10 brings universal apps which will run on Desktop, phone, and xbone. Think of it like Metro apps in 8 that aren't made only for touchscreen. Overall, I am pretty excited for it.
    People have been reviewing it for a while now since the release has pretty much been out for testers. You can Google it and find plenty of reviews. Overall, it is a step up from both 7 and 8.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  3. If your update has downloaded (it should of), then you can do: http://microsoft-news.com/windows-10-free-upgrade-still-not-showing-up-this-trick-will-help/

If not, then you can download the installer from Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    jkrmnj likes this.
  4. Some of my games and maybe one of drivers will/do have issues with it...
  5. i want windows 10 so bad :( i've been drooling over it since the release of its previews.
  6. *cough*so true*cough*
    My dad still has his Mac book from 10 years ago. It runs minecraft at about 30fps (EDIT: with optifine...). My brother has it now and is ending its life but it is still going.
  7. What Microsoft didn't show in their showcase. Cortana wants access to your location, emails, txt messages, calendar. If you don't give cortana access to those then you cannot use cortana. I will not be using cortana as it is way to intrusive.

Edit: Your basically signing off you life to Microsoft, good play
    Edit 2: Congrats Microsoft you also just manage to monetize Minecraft for PC, selling skins the same way as on xbox.
  8. Urmm... yes? Of course it does. It's whole point it to help you navigate to places (location), let you send and receive messages (emails/text messages), and set reminders (calendar). It needs access to those things because without access, it's absolutely useless. :)
  9. it's kind of like that crap people tried pulling on facebook messenger .. " oh god it's going to take photos without my permission! it wants access to my photos?! it's going to send them to people without my permission! it wants access to my contacts!? it's going to call people by itself! it wants access to my mic?! gosh it's going to record alllllllllll my life holy crap they are terrible!"
    -___________________-
    607, jkjkjk182, JackBiggin and 2 others like this.
  10. Why are you talking about windows 8 and macs on a windows 10 thread? :p and who in their right mind would buy a whole new computer because they don't like an OS. Just get a different version *cough* windows 10 *cough* :p
    jkjkjk182 and Monster_ like this.
  11. Windows 10 wants 10 bucks...A YEAR...to upgrade to...get this...Solitaire Premium edition. Can't make $$$$ like this up.
    607, Gawadrolt, jkjkjk182 and 3 others like this.
  12. Source? Haven't seen that anywhere at all and I've been keeping up with the Windows 10 news pretty well.
  13. If you know how to use wine well you can run most any windows program on a Mac. ;)

Anyways, I have yet to download windows 10. Will post comments here when I do!
  14. It's true - except for the fact that core gameplay is completely free, and there's absolutely nothing stopping you from using the Windows 7 Solitaire .exe on computers running Windows 10. People seem to be forgetting that Windows 10 is also for phones, and I'm willing to bet that their research said the game would be played more on phones, so they felt justified putting phone level microtransactions in. Not saying it's good that mobile is like that, but the reality is that it is.
  15. Pay 10 bucks *a year* to remove full page ads. They call it the "premium" edition.

http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-solitaire-requires-a-subscription-to-remove-ads/

Let's just say we live in a world where I'm willing to pay 10 bucks for "premium" Solitaire...okay...but 10 bucks every year?

C'mon with this $$$$ already.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  16. Not sure why you think it isn't. I haven't gotten the messenger and have absolutely no reason to facebook.com works just fine :p oh and I won't be using cortana either.
  17. you obviously don't use a cell phone where the facebook app doesn't message anymore... and because it doesn't.
  18. I wouldn't download the facebook app either so I wouldn't know. However on any phone browser you can type in facebook.com and you can message people. Every browser I have used anyways. With all the glaring oversights on security getting a facebook app of any type seems to be to just be asking for trouble. Even if it is a pc version for windows 10. (making this somehow relevant to OP) lol
  19. FYI Everyone. More reading can be done in this post. I included links to two articles. one describing in detail what SkareCboi mentioned, and another that describes how to turn things off (I think they actually link out to another site) I don't yet have Win10 so I didn't dig too deep. Happy security settings tweaking.
    Gawadrolt likes this.