What is your biggest pet peeve?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Otus_NigRum, Jul 30, 2018.

1. That's weird. Dips over here in the UK are just sauces put into a container that you dip stuff in - usually done by American companies who clearly have no idea that British people dump the sauce onto the thing they're eating, rather than dip it. They're pretty much synonyms, though.

Americans are super weird smh, first they use British cuisine as the basis for their own and then say our traditional dishes look like vomit, take pizza from Italy and then make it deep pan for some reason, took burgers from Germany and then came up with the idea of putting them between pieces of bread (ALSO WHY DO THEY CALL BURGERS 'PATTIES'?), put tomatoes in fish brine sauce and called it ketchup despite the superior and not gross tomato sauce already existing, and then did the exact same thing they did with hamburgers to German frankfurters. THE ENTIRE AMERICAN CUISINE IS BASED ON ADDING MORE BREAD INTO PRE-EXISTING STUFF OR MAKING IT GROSS AND THAT'S ANOTHER OF MY PET PEEVES.

First part of that above half-joke rant is the 'BrItIsH cUiSiNe Is DiSgUsTiNg' complaint, and that's another pet peeve of mine. This only surfaced after the UK had food rationing from 1940 to 1956 due to World War II, and I'm gonna prove that.

First of all, you have to understand that 'British' is a mere nationality, created to try and stop the ethnicities from being racist to eachother (it didn't really work, although other projects like this like Yugoslavia collapsed into civil war within decades so I guess we're a success), comprised of the English, Welsh, Cornish, Scottish, and Northern Irish ethnicities. Each one evolved differently - Scotland was split into Anglo-Saxon-Norse-Gaels-Picts-Cumbrian settlers in the South (the Scots, who spoke Scots) and native Celts in the north (Gaels, who spoke Gaelic); Wales ('foreigners'), or the Celtic Britons, once owned most of modern day England and as a result draw a wide variety of their food influence from what's here as well (they speak Welsh); the Cornish/West Welsh (West 'foreigners') people split from the Britons just after the Roman conquest (they speak Cornish). The English are an amalgamation of the Germanic Anglo, Jute, and Saxon tribes that invaded from North Germany, Frisia (the Netherlands), and Denmark in the fifth century, who later interbred with the Norse and Normans (literally just more Norse people who lived in North France/Normandy) in the twelfth century. Already you can see that these people are not going to share the same culture - it's another pet peeve of mine when foreigners think 'British' is a synonym of 'English'.

Let's start with the Welsh, who mostly live on the coast in a harsh environment that has little in the way of food (historically they eat pigs, use cows for dairy, and couldn't grow vegetables in the mountains so they'd use seaweed and molluscs from the beach). They can start the day off with a Welsh breakfast - cockles (freshwater molluscs) and bara lawr (boiled and minced laver seaweed, mixed with oatmeal, that forms a nutritious paste) fried with bacon, and served with thick bacon, eggs, mushrooms, sausage, and with a drink of beer. Afternoon tea might consist of picau ar y maen (bakestones), a flatbread full of currants and cinnamon, served with bara brith, a bread with fruit in it that has been soaked in tea before being cooked, and a drink of tea - traditionally this was reserved for the crachach, the Welsh upper class, which translates to 'snob'. For dinner, you might have cawl, a soup with lamb and vegetables in it, with Welsh rarebit, toasted bread with hot melted cheese poured all over it - historically they drank beer with this too. Wales also has crempogau, which are thick pancakes cooked on a bakestone. They also have faggots - that's not a crude joke, that's just what they call their spin on meatballs.

The English are next! They have all the flat, fertile land, so they have more opportunity to grow things and also have that whole thing where they built the British Empire and imported a lot of stuff from Asia. They can start the day with a serving of eggs, sausages, mushrooms, toast, potatoes, cabbage, and black pudding (sausage made of blood). Lunch will typically involve a sandwich, a thing that was invented here in a town called Sandwich, which is actually called a butty here, or maybe fish and chips (that's literally just fried battered fish and chips...) - which was invented by Portuguese Jews living in London in the 1600s. You can also have afternoon tea if you're upper class (the working class will probably laugh at you). Dinner can be a hotpot (a stew), chicken tikka masala, or like... I don't know. Duck or something. I don't know much about English food lol. All I know is they don't make thick pancakes, preferring to make crappy crepes they stole from France; these freaks also used to make toast, put salt on it, and slapped it between two pieces of bread to make a 'toast sandwich'.

The Cornish have Cornish pasties, which are pastries filled with meat and vegetables, made for miners who ate everything in one because they were 1) poor and 2) worker's rights to eat in a break kinda sucked back in the 1800s. They taste great though. Stargazy pie, a pie filled with pilchards and eggs and potatoes, is nice too. Cornish Yarg is a hard, mouldy cheese th-... this one makes me want to throw up, never mind. They also drink mead, eat crabs and sardines, just like the Swedes, Danes and Norwegians! They also make saffron buns, swirly buns with cinnamon in them - they're identical to Swedish/Norwegian lussekatt... I'm beginning to think Cornwall are viking imposters.

Then there's Scotland. America should adore Scotland. They eat the same breakfast as the English, deep fry Mars bars in batter for some unknown reason, eat haggis, which is onions and sheep meat and random animal kidney meat stuffed inside another random animal's stomach, and eat tripe (animal stomach lining...). I mean, at least they invented oatcakes and shortbreads... and Scotch. They drink a lot of Scotch.

British food is popular in Northern Ireland among the British people, and Irish food is popular among the Irish people. If I include Irish cuisine here I'm just gonna offend an Irish person so no thx

I don't know why I've just gone into the cuisine of the British nations on this thread but here you go. I don't think I even proved my point that the food isn't disgusting, given how progressively worse this got, although that's probably because I just stopped trying due to tiredness.

My next food pet peeve is people who call tea 'dinner'.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  2. I guess this thread has come to the point where we're discussing the difference between what word to call substances we put on our food..?

Call it whatever you want, it's food, most people will understand what you said/what you meant. :)
    Hashhog likes this.
  3. No need to rant on what other people like to call their food
  4. It's plain silly and/or trivial mate. The two names are close enough that it should be a "Who cares?" kind of moment, but hey, that's just me...
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  5. My Pet Peeve:
    When a little chihuahua or small sized mutt starts tailing me while growling and barking when all I want to do is get home and watch some Videogamedunkey. Then when I get the nerve to take up the dog on it's confrontation call by standing and turning at it, it does a back step Bloodborne dodge and looks at me with it's beady little eyes and starts barking at me in a sequence. Or if it thinks its up for the challenge, it tries to reach for my ankle. Same happens with medium sized dogs from time to time. Then it just keeps following. I hate it.
    Hashhog likes this.
  6. So mayonnaise is not a sauce?
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  7. Not if you have a plate and a fork?

Yeah, that one's deserved... :p

Anything you can put on crisps can also be put on regular foods, right? Why people would but anything on them in the first is a mystery for me in the first place, but anyways. :p
  8. Eating fries with a fork? :confused:
    ASliceOfRhyBread likes this.
  9. I agree you don't have to fit in with the cool kids to be popular just be yourself and if people don't like you for that then they don't deserve to be your friends

sorry if this makes anybody mad or hurts anybody's feelings this is just my point of view on thing as i had a problem with peer pressure a few years back it almost convinced me to do things that would have changed my life forever i won't go into details but peer pressure is a real thing and it's bad very bad
  10. Tailgaters. I LOVE having cruise control on the interstate and having someone ride my bumper because I can very slowly lower my speed. Usually by the time I get to 50 in a 65 they go around me. One of the reasons I hate driving.
  11. I have another pet peeve

When a band doesn't change their setlist. Yeah you can play popular stuff but Jesus let's not have a tour be as monotonous as most rappers. Change it up and play deep cuts and change the songs around. Surprise us and not leave it up to me to look up a setlist that is the exact same thing every damn show.
    xxcapmanxx likes this.
  12. I totally forgot what this thread was about
    TomvanWijnen and Otus_NigRum like this.
  13. Agreed.
    ME AT SCHOOL:
    "I like 70s and 80s music, you?"
    Other person:
    "ew, gross. that is so, like, totally old. that is like, the like, worst like music ever pop is always best"
    me: "you've never even heard it before"
    them: "yeah i have they're all like, bad"
    me: "name one 70s/80s song"
    them: "i have to go to the bathroom"
  14. I don't think I've ever met a kid who was unnapreciative of classic rock
  15. Hi, I'm shyguy, nice to meet ya!
    TomvanWijnen and Impulsive_Egg like this.
  16. How old are you? Everyone I went to school with had an appreciation of 80s music and fully acknowledged it was pop - and I only left college (American High School, I guess?) a month ago. Furthermore pop artists still make new wave music and one of the biggest genres right now is synthpop, thanks to the 80s revivalism that has characterised the 2010s, and these are the genres that made the 80s.
    607 likes this.
  17. One kid at my school told me rock sucks because it's old and sounds like noise. Not surprised, considering a lot of rock songs from the 70s, especially prog ones make you think instead of dance. People literally hate stairway to heaven because it's boring, fine, that's an okay opinion, I agree somewhat, but to say it's bad is just ignoring the fact that it's one of the greatest songs ever, and the fact that you have to have patience and a sophisticated mind to actually listen to the whole thing. Not saying anyone's dumb for saying it's boring, it's just that it's more of a song for people who actually understand music.
  18. When I like a song, it's very rarely because of the lyrics. To me, it's always because of the way it sounds: the rhythm, melody, instruments, vocals, etc. These are the kind of songs that I find super stimmy to my autistic ears.

The only way you can get me to understand a song is if the lyrics are in my face; and by that, I don't mean that I can read the lyrics, I mean when the artist takes extra effort to make their lyrics be heard. For example, The Spine Song by Cake and Betty, The Gardener by Sarah Sparks, or literally all of Owl City. I still don't understand his lyrics but I can hear them because he made it so. (Adam Young, the artist behind Owl City, is autistic like I am)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  19. When at home, yes, of course, always. :) Much easier and less messy, both in terms of sauce and the fries themselves. :p

To be honest I personally don't really care about the lyrics, as long as it sounds good, I don't care about any meaning - I can't properly hear most of the words anyways. :p
  20. :eek:
    607 likes this.