Unwritten "rules" forum etiquette proper

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Gawadrolt, Apr 11, 2015.

?

What is the most annoying unwritten elitist rule you have heard thus far

Don't bump old threads... because people don't bump current stuff constantly 5 vote(s) 11.9%
Double post police 7 vote(s) 16.7%
I think you have strayed from the topic, you must be thread hijacking 1 vote(s) 2.4%
You didn't use spoilers, noob 3 vote(s) 7.1%
I think you have strayed from the topic, you must be thread hijacking 2 vote(s) 4.8%
You are spamming so im gonna respond with spam to show that you are spamming because... SPAM 4 vote(s) 9.5%
similar to spam... trolling the troll is troll you troll 4 vote(s) 9.5%
Thank god I'm not a forum warrior and don't have to deal with the self nominated forum nazis 4 vote(s) 9.5%
I'm a forum elitist, I need these "rules" 12 vote(s) 28.6%
  1. Ok i'll try it.
    My tablet uses Chrome so maybe thats what i have to use
    Thx for the help
    607, Gawadrolt and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  2. I do this but not meaning to be a jerk or anything (most of my family would probably say I'm "a know it all")

But when I correct someones spelling I try to make it nice, I don't want to rude or a jerk or stuff like that
    ShelLuser, XxE3choxX and Gawadrolt like this.
  3. Players can't change poll options, and I believe I did see "retarded" used as an adjective - it's not the best word to use (there are plenty of... better... adjectives), but I would only see a problem if it was directed at someone (used as a noun).

He's venting is frustration at this part, and I completely understand it. I have no clue if he and I were thinking the same thing here:
    as I was, but my reply was relatable though many recently bumped threads that are not appropriate for this forum setting. If you're curious, I've linked them here, here, here, and here. These were not closed, deleted, and some even have staff posts on them. The last one is extremely morbid.

The complaint here, I think, is what staff censor and what they don't. Oh, and you can consider this my "official" rant about the threads I linked above.
    Gawadrolt and ShelLuser like this.
  4. Edit: you missed a few of my favorite ridiculous posts to hate but I'm not gonna give them any more press here.

5. The reason being is because what most people were saying (I'm not sure if posts were deleted) was perfectly fine to say, since it doesn't single out/harass a single person or point a finger at that one guy who always breaks the rules.

The word "retarded", on the other hand, has turned into a relatively offensive word, which, when said about an entire group of people, deserves to be removed.
  6. Can't rule out I missed something but you pointed out a problem, you said "its not just an EMC problem" (ergo; it also exists here) and then said:

So I honestly cannot help wonder what happened here.

I can agree on one thing; sometimes moderator interaction seems weird. I had it happen one time. On the smp8 thread; I more or less said that those guys were just as crazy as I was and I noticed that my comment was changed. Yet without any signs that a moderator changed it. That I can agree on; if they do change stuff it should be a little move obvious depending on the post.

But other than that.. You did say something about the EMC moderators and I just can't help wonder where it came from. Is all.
    607 likes this.
  7. I don't know why you keep going back to the forum moderators, this post has nothing to do with the forum moderators. It has to do with those that interject as if they were forum moderators in a manor that is either demeaning, rude or just plain trolling.

What I mentioned in later posts about the moderator was that they removed a word from the poll that made it now make no sense at all.

Edit: For clarification for those that don't understand statistics on the poll, there is 4 elitists(or people that enjoy clicking buttons because they thought they were the most humorous) and 15 people that are annoyed by them XD

Second edit: I think I see what you are saying. I said that forum moderators are double tasked so they arent JUST forum moderators. That said, they could easily miss things that could be corrected or be over tasked to sit and go through every post(which I was able to do with my forums for another game but I probably had about 1/4 the activity, with one staff member, we had more players but not more active players)
  8. I think you're missing a lot here. There was a reason why that word was removed, because believe me, it's more offensive than what people were saying on this thread. If people wanted to act like forum moderators even if they're not one, they would try to correct things people said/did that break the rules. Some people may do a lot on places where the rules about spamming/being rude are a little more lenient, so they aren't as used to the family friendly style of Empire Minecraft.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  9. Gotcha. Bad timing it is then. Well, that and perhaps a little sense of bias on my part, can't rule that out.

Even so, so far I haven't really come across much of this over here, even though I do know it exists out there. Guess that's what got me started on the wrong end. Also because, IMO, the moderators would be suited for the task to step in when those things happen.

Unfortunately I still can't take the poll because whenever this happens to me (I'm now referring to TechNet fora mostly) I simply shrugged and moved on ;)

Oh well, maybe next time 8)
  10. Yeah, some of the people responding, yourself included act like this never happens or that it has to be some big deal for someone to want to vent about it. I don't remember mentioning in here anywhere where I have seen this so bad that I would report the person doing it. It is just annoying and trolling and this is a place to vent about it.

:D

Also words are not offensive, concepts are and the word retarded has been around for and used both clinically and casually without being "offensive" until the butt hurt hollywood move. Calling someone names is never nice but the WORD retarded is just that a word. It generally means slow and doesn't have to refer to someones mental capabilities, especially with the evolution of the english language and the amount this word has been used.

could I have found a better word? sure. Doesn't matter though, it worked just fine for the tone I was setting and made the point.
  11. Correction:

All I am saying here is that this has never happened to me. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not denying anything, but I did ask for some examples for the simple reason that so far I never noticed this.

Me not noticing it could indeed lead up to opinions such as "has to be a big deal to him" but that can be easily debuted; share an example thread. If I haven't noticed anything like this on these forums then for sure others wouldn't have either. So yah...

As you said yourself: "concepts are" and "could I have found a better word".

If you could have, why didn't you, considering that this is a family friendly server? Heck, even I go out of my way every time during the weekend to avoid wtf and go wth. Its not words, its the thought or better: the effort put into it.

This whole thing is a two way street you know. Giving and taking.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  12. Like penguinDJ said, there is soooo much stuff on these forums that is by no means "family friendly" that anyone even uses that term makes me laugh. If you haven't seen it then thats good, no reason for me to go hunting for something to support what I said when the poll very clearly does. ;-)
  13. Does anyone around here play Minecraft on the EMC server and talk about playing it in the town, economy and survival or just nag about thing in it?

Forgot a poll option... Airing their pet peeves and arguing them in a long winded fashion. :D
  14. I don't know that that would be a "unwritten rule" but ironically... a pet peeve :p
  15. I love this forum etiquette thing you're speaking off :)
    How you're describing it, seems like I'm an elitist, then ;)
    ShelLuser and ScarTheNinja like this.
  16. Sometimes I will send a pm to the thread host if I see a problem, ocationally I will make the point in the thread if I feel other users will bennefit. I consider this a way of educating people, and we can all benefit from education.

A thread can be reported by all players, sometimes the host who may feel the thread is getting out of hand and may request the post removed or the thread closed / deleted.

People are pashonet about somethings and when expressed in the right way it is not a problem, but in a wrong or inflammatory way it can be. We must consider with regards to this that English is not everyone's first language and so what is being said is not necessarily meant to be inflammatory,

When people express themselves in the written language it can lack feeling and so the meaning or expression in terms of attitude, aggressive or friendly can be missed. Most of what we say when face to face with a person is expressed through body language, the pitch and tone of our voice. This is why expressing our selves in the right way is so important.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. I do believe one of the reasons you might be experiencing this as an odd thing is that you define the forums different than others. Back in the days forums where the first form of multi-user communication and with time they have become more a mixture between actual communications and deposit of information and sometimes even wisdom :D

With this transition into a mixed thing the need for a little bit of ruling of 'do's' and 'dont's became a necessity to prevent important information (or wisdom) being buried in odd places. On top of that - its not a live medium. What is written in a forum is going to stay for longer than just the moment it has been typed and send. Add the lack of human facial expression to that and rules are an obvious thing to prevent complete chaos.
    607 likes this.
  18. Well theres ya problem

Try Google Chrome, much better imo and I've never experienced any problems like that
    607 likes this.
  19. Thx I got it working now.
    P.S I dont really like Internet Explorer
    607 and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  20. For the people saying "retarded" shouldn't be removed... try saying retarded on TV before 9 and not having it bleeped/edited...

Wouldn't consider the no-bumping old threads rule unreasonable though... makes perfect sense imo..
    607 and boozle628 like this.