Tokens - Ways to Gain Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, May 15, 2014.

1. Will there be a /t pay?? Or is there already that?
  2. hey so my 2r worth i like the idea of time played reward say 3 or 4 tokens per hour played also i am not a big group player so some way of earning them would definitly be good for the solo time played as for log in streek i agree with the above and find "dailys" frustrating. However that said a 10 token reward for loging in per day would be good also a few solo adventures would be cool as i too play at odd times and sometimes i am alone on the server or everyone else is busy doing there thing anyway love the server and hope to see everyone in game sometime soon
  3. No
    607 likes this.
  4. The only suggestions for token rewards I've seen so far that seem to fit the definition of a challenge are Dragon Tombs and Arenas. Each is a sort of contest that has a goal.

Many of the other suggestions seem more oriented to the number of blocks you can mine or the number of mobs you kill. I don't think that that is necessarily bad, but I think that in order to make it a challenge there has to be a goal of some sort that is set for us.

Instead of letting me earn tokens for mining Diamond Ore, for example, I could earn tokens for mining the most Diamond Ore today or maybe for being in the week's top ten miners. It could be applied to each server, Groups, certain hours of the day, or all of EMC like we do with XP. Maybe on certain days an item or activity could be chosen for bonus tokens and we would see this in the announcements.

If there were enough categories I am sure that even the least experienced players among us could pick one and be "the best" at it at least for a little while. If I dislike fighting I still have the opportunity to be the Wool Clipping King for a day or the Grand Cow Butcher and won't have to miss out on the benefits that will come from challenge tokens.

Also, I don't know whether the items that are in my Minecraft client's statistics are more or less convenient for the development team to access, but if they are, maybe we should limit the potential categories to those? I see all sorts of blocks and mobs tracked there along with crafting and tool use, number of times died etc. So we could pick Titles from that list, like Pilgrim, Most Reincarnated, Warlord, Architect, and so on.

One other thing, and this is a little bit off topic but I haven't seen much discussion regarding what tokens will be used for. It seems like they are meant to be used to get things that there is no other way to obtain. I'd like to suggest that we be able to use them to repair items like Ore Busters. I know that might be unpopular with some people, but I have items sitting in chests that I refuse to use for this reason. To even things out, maybe when we have promotions we should only be able to buy them from Town Shop with tokens rather than Rupees like we do now.
  5. I like that idea A LOT more than general mining rewards. Just it would require a bit of work, but would be nice overall for our server to have more competitive entities.
    just_five_fun and mba2012 like this.
  6. Note, I'm working in the small quick suggestions where we can... but bigger ones will need to wait until after DT is completed.
  7. There could also be TEXP milestone rewards much like the rupee rewards for voting.. ie. 2 tokens for every 10,000 TEXP, 4 tokens for every 25,000, 8 for every 50,000, 12 for every 175,000, 16 for every 450,000.. Etc.. Although the number obviously need to be tweaked because people will probably hear this and sit at an exp grinder for 9,001 consecutive hours gaining exp like they already do and only this time get "paid" for it.. So the only way this could work is if TEXP could distinguish between natural exp and grinder exp.. :oops:
    Pab10S likes this.
  8. I think it should be applied to the present system of Enraged also because it currently is not a true challenge. I don't care to go out and grind Enraged all night, but those guys that are doing it should be rewarded for being the most dedicated. I think you mentioned tracking Momentus kills. Rather than getting tokens for killing him, the challenge could be to kill him the most during some period of time.

One of the games I play has a similar token system and a Boss Bounty. Each day different bosses are chosen that you will receive a bonus for killing once. So each day I log in and check that day's bounty then go out and kill that day's Bosses. I guess that kind of falls into the Minecraft category of go out and mine 100 Glowstone or kill 10 Ghasts. It would still make it a challenge rather than a grind which is what I am missing in this.
    mba2012 likes this.
  9. I don't think it makes much difference and personally would not want XP ruled out. No matter what is chosen, many people are going work to get the biggest pile of tokens they can whether it is killing, placing blocks, or mining. I think a variety of options would be more fun and limiting ourselves leads to boredom.
  10. Not a fan of this idea. A bonus to "most" boss / enraged kills might be acceptable, for those that are actively hunting them (or grinding/farming, whichever term you prefer), but denying rewards for kills does not sit well with me, particularly when boss spawns can be so erratic. You might get lucky one day and have two or three Momentus(es?) show up on the same stretch of beach, or you might never see one all day.
    IcecreamCow likes this.
  11. Killing Bosses and Enraged already had rewards before we added tokens to the mix. Unless we are calling them Challenge Tokens for the fun of it there has to be some sort of competition or contest involved in order to fit the definition of "challenge". Other than the piles of tokens and other loot from harvesting Enraged I have seen people comparing in chat and on the forums I don't see the challenge. They are currently just glorified drops in my opinion.

I wouldn't suggest that they be removed as rewards for Enraged kills altogether. I'd like to see more given out as bonuses for meeting some sort of goal involving Enraged and fewer just for killing them over and over like we have now. I think the people hunting them would still be rewarded, but in a different way. It is a subtle difference that I think is important.
    IcecreamCow likes this.
  12. We're operating from entirely different perspectives then. Personally, I hate the "competitive" nature of leaderboards, "best at" achievements, and so-forth. Some people enjoy that, and that's fine. I have no complaints about them being rewarded for it, in addition to whatever else is in place. The idea that my own experience should somehow be lessened for it (in any capacity) is one I simply refuse to get on board with, no matter how well-meaning your reasons might be. Moreover,
    So apparently we're not calling them Challenge Tokens at all anymore. :confused:
    Pab10S likes this.
  13. The word 'challenge' is in itself subjective to the player's opinion. We will work on a better name.
  14. I missed that somehow. I feel I need some sort of goal to motivate me and currently there isn't enough of a carrot there to make me to go out of my way to fight them given the cost in time and resources. Once there is actually something to spend them on I'll probably feel differently.
  15. Definitely. We are at the very beginning with this feature still. More ways to obtain them will be added as other updates happen such as dragon tombs. Of course they have absolutely no use at this point, so other than wanting to be the first one to build a house out of sponge - no real reason to worry about them
    607, Seffychan and Pab10S like this.
  16. this sounds a lot like your 'dailies' in most MMO's.. In all sense of the the idea.. it IS grinding, just different. Every 24 hours a certain 'Quest Giver' rolls out a new quest, which is usually fairly simple. Kill 100 of this, bring me 200 skins of that, some invasion is happening over here, take care of it. IF EMC took on the 'daily mission' stance, I think it would be good. It would open up everyday tasks for rewards just that once for that day. Initially it could be tough to get going, because you would have to create the quest pool, but once you have like 100 quests/goals or so, you could let it cycle until you have a new group of ideas. You could even separate it per server.

Today's Missions:

SMP 1 : gather 200 glowstone
    SMP 5: Gain 500 rupees
    SMP 7: Kill 1 Momentus

You could then 'turn in' the quest and receive a token reward based off of how difficult the mission was.

A system like this, would really rely on what the actual value of the token already was, and since this currency is currently priced infinitely due to having no relation to value, it would really need to wait. OR force the value now by setting these missions.

EDIT:

This whole system could even open up more unique holiday type events. I.e. Double Tokens on Memorial Day weekend etc. etc.

And then, during that holiday promotion, you have one super special promo, that can only be bought with tokens, and then leaves as soon as the holiday is over. Instead of giving any of the promos away for free, this forces some to utilize the system to get it into the economy.

People love 'Double-' 'Triple-' promotions, because it stimulates them to try and do things they might have thought to be too tedious to do before.
    jkjkjk182 and Pab10S like this.
  17. I'ma build a house out of sponge and cake and then I will have a spongecake house.
  18. As a new member to this server I see no benefit to the use of tokens as a individual player. Im the type of player thats plays alone due to i have my (ocd) ways of creating things and building them. I also play this a survival game and sometimes its better to avoid a fight than be in one.

What im saying is so far i see this geared towards fighting enraged mobs and maybe rewards to groups. I see you have a hard task here to figure the best way to reward these tokens and make it fair. So what im asking is don't lose sight of us poor hobos. We live the dream and want to be included :).

Suggestion time: You could reward these tokens on the same line as MCMMO for each level of achievement you get X tokens, that way you can use all that minecraft has to offer ie: mining, farming, fighting and building.
  19. You still can do these things on your own, you just need more prep time. I have yet to do anything in a group and I have 3000+ tokens.
    Here is what I use to kill monsters on my own terms:
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/mob-chute-murder-hole.36112/
    You can also build a sniping base, which is equally as easy, but you go to the drops.